Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Art of Video Games
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > General Discussion
Marney1
The Art of Video Games exhibition will explore the 40-year evolution of video games as an artistic medium, with a focus on striking visual effects, the creative use of new technologies, and the most influential artists and designers. We want you to help us select the eighty video games that will be represented in the exhibition. Remember, this is an art exhibition, so be sure to vote for games that you think are visually spectacular or boast innovative design!

The Art of Video Games
Massacre
Letting gamers decide is a terrible idea. It's going to turn into a popularity contest instead of what's actually artistic.
Marney1
QUOTE (Massacre @ Feb 16 2011, 12:44 AM) *
Letting gamers decide is a terrible idea. It's going to turn into a popularity contest instead of what's actually artistic.

You're probably right, but who else could be trusted to vote on it?
Massacre
Legitimate artists or art critics who aren't "games aren't art" douchebags. Or the game developers themselves, like the Game Developers' Conference.
TreeFitty
No GTA in there. mad.gif
Massacre
It's not particularly artsy. Not a lot of gritty urban business in museums, or maybe there is, I don't know what passes for art these days.
TreeFitty
Take a swing through the Guggenheim. You'll be digging through the trash finding million dollar art.
DuPz0r
Oh god, it's going to be Final Fantasy 7 vs Zelda in the finals!!!
Skinny 
QUOTE (Massacre @ Feb 16 2011, 03:24 PM) *
Not a lot of gritty urban business in museums

The fact that they intentionally give GTA a gritty aesthetic (often contrasted with a pop soundtrack) to make a statement means it is art, by basically any definition of the term.
Marney1
I voted:

ACTION GENRE

Era 1 ('70's - Early '80's)

Atari VCS

Space Invaders 1981

Coleco Vision

Donkey Kong 1982

Mattel Intellivision

Swords & Serpents 1982

Era 2 (8-BIT '83 - '89)

Commodore 64

Little Computer People 1985

I was going to post my complete voting choices but fucked it up because there's loads of different genres to choose from in each category but you get the idea.

Edit: Still voting now, it's really taking me back seeing all these cool games from back in the day.
TreeFitty
I only used about 6 or 7 votes.
Marney1
It's going to be completely fucked because although I've played games on every console and computer I haven't played them all, but still voted because of what I'd heard about them from friends.

Just saw this tweet fom the organisers (which pretty much confirms for me that this will be a load of BS:

"Some games slated for exhibition aren't included in the public vote. If you don't see your fav, it hasn't necessarily been left out! #taovg"
DuPz0r
I voted for one in each genre, but still had like 30 votes to spare... O_o
TreeFitty
Era (5 of them)
>Console (~4 per era)
>>Genre (4 per console)

so 5*4*4=80 which is how many votes they give you.
Qdeathstar
This should be cool.. i'm looking foward to seeing the stuff from fallout and deadspace (hopefully) there! I don't live too far away so i have a good shot at checking it out.
TreeFitty
If you see GTA and/or RDR then take pics for us. thumbup.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.