Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cure for AIDS in sight?
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > General Discussion
TreeFitty
Here's something that should provide some interesting research in the months/years to follow:

Doctors who carried out a stem cell transplant on an HIV-infected man with leukaemia in 2007 say they now believe the man to have been cured of HIV infection as a result of the treatment, which introduced stem cells which happened to be resistant to HIV infection.

The man received bone marrow from a donor who had natural resistance to HIV infection; this was due to a genetic profile which led to the CCR5 co-receptor being absent from his cells. The most common variety of HIV uses CCR5 as its ‘docking station’, attaching to it in order to enter and infect CD4 cells, and people with this mutation are almost completely protected against infection.

The case was first reported at the 2008 Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections in Boston, and Berlin doctors subsequently published a detailed case history in the New England Journal of Medicine in February 2009.

They have now published a follow-up report in the journal Blood, arguing that based on the results of extensive tests, “It is reasonable to conclude that cure of HIV infection has been achieved in this patient.”

main article and more detailed info

Basically, his immune system was emptied via chemotherapy. Then the donor HIV-resistant stem cells were put in, they filled up the immune system, and took over.

The process was long and grueling but he appears to no longer have HIV from various tests.

Thoughts? Obviously there is going to be a TON of research to follow with different people/conditions/etc.
Heartless
Do you believe that Magic Johnson beat AIDs? Is it possible this is how he did it?
TreeFitty
Apparently he's taking an assortment of drugs to stop his HIV from becoming AIDS. Beat AIDS? Not really.
PabloHoneyOle

also;

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/1643...a-cure-for-aids
Massacre
I can't believe no one at least gave the cash cure a chance.
PabloHoneyOle
TreeFitty
Who needs the cash cure when the Germans can find a cure accidentally?
DuffMan
Wrapping it up in the first place is probably a better option.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (DuffMan @ Dec 14 2010, 04:14 PM) *
Wrapping it up in the first place is probably a better option.

Abstinence is the best policy, ask Pieface. He'd be doomed to AIDS if he let all the guys pound him in the bummer.
demon
AIDS is one of the nature's population control mechanisms. We hope they will find a cure soon, but it's not healthy for the planet because the humans are choking it.

Not only do we want to find a cure for all diseases, we also want to live longer and longer, 90, 100 or even 150 years some day.

I hope we'll find a cure for AIDS, cancer and all other diseases. And I welcome long life. This is not because I'm an idealist or kind, it's because I'm an egoist living in the Rich World. mellow.gif
demon
I read in our paper yesterday that one HIV infected person got rid of the infection by using stem cells. I think he was American so some of you have probably heard about it.
TreeFitty
QUOTE (demon @ Dec 18 2010, 12:19 AM) *
I read in our paper yesterday that one HIV infected person got rid of the infection by using stem cells. I think he was American so some of you have probably heard about it.

*points at first post*
demon
Fail. lol.

QUOTE (TF)
The man received bone marrow from a donor who had natural resistance to HIV infection

I didn't read everything in your post, but when I saw the above quoted sentence I concluded it could not be the same story.

Indy
it was only possible because he had cancer
Massacre
Indy!

* Catches in over-sized butterfly net*
Fido 15
Does this mean gays can have all the anal sex they can imagine?
demon
I just got sick. mellow.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.