Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wikileaks and Julian Assange
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > Political & World News
0bs3n3
This place is more dead than I thought.

Ok, so you are all probably pretty tired of hearing about Wikileaks, but I thought we could have a discussion about Mr. Assange and his website. Do you think his website is good/bad? Do you agree with his purpose in releasing documents (more transparent world/justice/etc.)?

Personally, I find him fucking unbearable. Not least because every time I turn the news on, I hear his name. I honestly wouldn't care if he was locked up or conveniently went 'missing', a certain level of secrecy is necessary within government. Oh and him and his followers seem to have a very severe case of unwarranted self-importance.
TreeFitty
QUOTE (0bs3n3 @ Dec 6 2010, 08:55 PM) *
... a certain level of secrecy is necessary within government. ...

I agree. There's people that want to know every fucking detail of what the government has up its sleeve.

I always look at it from the angle of: If every person in the US knew all about the technology behind our most advanced military equipment, it wouldn't stay a secret very long and other countries (including enemies) would make their own. Then we wouldn't be on top so a lot of good that would do.

I'm sure the US and other governments do all kinds of things that aren't considered "right". Some things should be made public but not everything.

yes this place is dead. tongue.gif
Fido 15
America at its best. Treating Assange like the Chinese would treat the subject of the Dalai Lama.
Heartless
QUOTE (Fido 15 @ Dec 6 2010, 11:58 PM) *
America at its best. Treating Assange like the Chinese would treat the subject of the Dalai Lama.

Except that the Dalai Lama is the head of an insane, egomaniacal totalitarian theocracy that doesn't give a flying shit about the people they hurt or the religion they blaspheme.

I can't wait for WikiLeaks, Area 51.
Edgecrusher
Never even heard of this until I saw this thread tbh, but lookey what I just happened upon on my homepage.

*Edit* For those of you who don't have Yahoo accounts.
PabloHoneyOle
There are like 68 other sites I'd rather talk about this on.

I'm glad he put the information out there - I just wouldn't have put my name out there as the person who did it.

I think the whole rape thing is taken out of context, apparently he just didn't wear a rubber which in Sweden can be considered rape, even if the girl still allowed you to fuck her.
Edgecrusher
No, he was wearing a condom which split during sex and "either failed to inform his partner or continued after being asked to stop." It does seem a bit too convenient to me though given the amount of people that would probably benefit from his silence.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (Edgecrusher @ Dec 7 2010, 11:09 AM) *
No, he was wearing a condom which split during sex and "either failed to inform his partner or continued after being asked to stop." It does seem a bit too convenient to me though given the amount of people that would probably benefit from his silence.

I'd be a serial rapist then. I stopped using condoms after all the breaks I've experienced. Half the time, you don't even realize it. Besides, I'd just rather spray their face anyway.

THE CHARGES
* Unlawful coercion - used his body weight to hold down Miss A in a sexual manner.
* Sexual molestation - had unprotected sex with Miss A when she had insisted on him using a condom
* Deliberate molestation - molested Miss A "in a way designed to violate her sexual integrity".
* Had unprotected sex with Miss W while she was asleep

That's my boy.
Edgecrusher
* Sexual molestation - had unprotected sex with Miss A when she had insisted on him using a condom
* Deliberate molestation - molested Miss A "in a way designed to violate her sexual integrity".

Both charges being consistent with my previous post:

QUOTE (Edgecrusher @ Dec 7 2010, 11:09 AM) *
he was wearing a condom which split during sex and "either failed to inform his partner or continued after being asked to stop."

Besides, I neither dispute nor reinforce the charges against him, I just thought they were relevant to the thread.

demon
QUOTE (0bs3n3 @ Dec 7 2010, 02:55 AM) *
I honestly wouldn't care if he was locked up or conveniently went 'missing', a certain level of secrecy is necessary within government. Oh and him and his followers seem to have a very severe case of unwarranted self-importance.

I agree with you. Some of the leaks was probably okay, but most of it should not be public.
Wikileaks are making diplomacy much more difficult. Diplomats must be allowed to communicate without risk of having the letters made public.

I think he should be hunted like a terrorist.
Qdeathstar
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to make a topic about this. He isn't being arrested for leaking the documents, he was being released for raping some girl. I don't think he raped the girl, since prior to the wiki-leaks releasing the cables they were just set to drop the case.

The guy is a douche bag anyway, and this is what you get for being a douche bag. Go USA!

Also, I think that this kind of ruins it for everyone who believes that the United States is engaged in conspiracies regarding aliens or 9/11. If they can't keep mundane shit about how one diplomat feels about another secret, if they give this kind of "classified" information out to people that don't need it (some dipshit intelligence officer in Iraq) then there is no fucking way they could keep the biggest secret of all time secret. Or maybe that's what "they" want you to think.
Fido 15
Not all the documents were released. Also, he's being charged with sex by surprise.

http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/sex-b...-probe/19741444
Heartless
Hey, anything that nudges the clock closer to zero hour and a flaming nuclear apocalypse has my vote. I mean, really. What exactly do you hope to accomplish by releasing state secrets? That people just relax and take a drink of water and everythings ok? Fuck no. He is encouraging a new global conflict, that's all.
Fido 15
QUOTE (Mental Istid @ Dec 7 2010, 10:39 PM) *
Hey, anything that nudges the clock closer to zero hour and a flaming nuclear apocalypse has my vote. I mean, really. What exactly do you hope to accomplish by releasing state secrets? That people just relax and take a drink of water and everythings ok? Fuck no. He is encouraging a new global conflict, that's all.

Or those global conflicts already existed and now the public just knows. That's all.
Marney1
I think the future U.S president is great, 'Assange unamerican' lol.

Apparently Assange's supporters hacked/crashed VISA's online systems last night and are planning to do the same to twitter. How convenient, just when the U.S government is trying to push through internet censorship laws. The elite always turn a 'crisis' round to suit their nazi agenda's. If they're not attacking their own people they're letting real enemies get through.

Do I sound like a conspiracy freak? Fuck you!
TreeFitty
As far as I know, all they did was bring down the websites with DDoS attacks, which any 15 year old on the chans can do. I haven't seen anything about their systems going down, just statements that their payments are still going through even though the website is down.
Marney1
QUOTE (Fido 15 @ Dec 9 2010, 09:38 PM) *

Yep, it's war through deception. Just that most people are too thick to realise it.
Qdeathstar
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Dec 9 2010, 11:01 AM) *

What the fuck does that mean?

Apparently Assange's supporters hacked/crashed VISA's online systems last night and are planning to do the same to twitter. How convenient, just when the U.S government is trying to push through internet censorship laws.

Yeah, better get that free thinking free speaking dangerous-to-the-regime visa website the fuck down.

The elite always turn a 'crisis' round to suit their nazi agenda's.

The elite adapt, that ability is why they are elite.

Nah, i was going to go with stupid twat.
Marney1
Seems we may disagree with eachother on this one.
LoonaTyk1
QUOTE (demon @ Dec 7 2010, 02:15 PM) *
QUOTE (0bs3n3 @ Dec 7 2010, 02:55 AM) *
I honestly wouldn't care if he was locked up or conveniently went 'missing', a certain level of secrecy is necessary within government. Oh and him and his followers seem to have a very severe case of unwarranted self-importance.

I agree with you. Some of the leaks was probably okay, but most of it should not be public.
Wikileaks are making diplomacy much more difficult. Diplomats must be allowed to communicate without risk of having the letters made public.

I think he should be hunted like a terrorist.

totally agree. kill the anti american bastard.

QUOTE (Marney1 @ Dec 9 2010, 05:01 AM) *

Apparently Assange's supporters hacked/crashed VISA's online systems last night and are planning to do the same to twitter. How convenient, just when the U.S government is trying to push through internet censorship laws. The elite always turn a 'crisis' round to suit their nazi agenda's. If they're not attacking their own people they're letting real enemies get through.

yeah and anti american.
demon
LoonaTyk1, I don't know if you're sarcastic or not, but you make me laugh nervertheless. laugh.gif
cuda is your boi
i think we need more websites such as wikileaks, it just shows the hypocrisy layer that is covering the world, especially on the american side.

wikileaks isn't just divulging the war crime issues, it's showing all sorts of government corruption fiascoes, example from the top of my head: Mozambique president taking bribes over area control and drug trade.

i wish some dirt would come out of my country as well.

judging the guy that created wikileaks is irrelevant, very important stuff is coming out, you might believe secrecy is needed, but this is the secrecy that goes against what our governments preach on, and now they are scared, pure fear.

edit:
wasn't the visa and mastercard thing done because paypal decided to not let wikileaks take in any more donations?

lol @ dat m8s
Skinny 
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Dec 9 2010, 10:01 PM) *

Who the fuck are 'the elite'?
Marney1
QUOTE (Skinny  @ Dec 11 2010, 06:53 AM) *

The bankers that your and my government work for.
LoonaTyk1
QUOTE (demon @ Dec 10 2010, 11:21 AM) *
LoonaTyk1, I don't know if you're sarcastic or not, but you make me laugh nervertheless. laugh.gif

i dont either sometimes. i'm all for outing govts. corrupt dealings but also its kinda dangerous and could lead to more global conflicts of which i couldnt really give a fuck about BUT , not really what i'd like to see for my kids .
Skinny 
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Dec 11 2010, 10:46 PM) *

Ah, so at what point in history did the King, the nobles, the military, politicians, bishops and wealthy merchants in Britain decide to turn over all their power to a group of bourgeoisie bankers, and to what end? What you're saying implies that, without any of the aforementioned groups realising it, some bankers became the secret rulers of the world.
Marney1
QUOTE (Skinny  @ Dec 12 2010, 04:20 AM) *
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Dec 11 2010, 10:46 PM) *

Ah, so at what point in history did the King, the nobles, the military, politicians, bishops and wealthy merchants in Britain decide to turn over all their power to a group of bourgeoisie bankers, and to what end? What you're saying implies that, without any of the aforementioned groups realising it, some bankers became the secret rulers of the world.

Well done Skinny.

Rep Ron Paul:

Re: Wikileaks - "In a free society, we are supposed to know the truth. In a society where truth becomes treason, we are in big trouble."
Darth Sexy
It's about time governments feared their citizens again. I'm withholding judgment on Assange, but I don't believe his motives are as pure as pushing for transparency. I'd like him to keep releasing stuff, as it gives Julia Gillard a platform to make herself out to be a complete joke.

Edit: grammar.
demon

Leaks. Exciting but not good.

Skinny 
QUOTE (Darth Sexy @ Dec 14 2010, 09:29 PM) *
I'd like him to keep releasing stuff, as it gives Julia Gillard a platform to make herself out to be a complete joke.

Indeed. "Well, um, it's not against the law here, but you Americans really need to pull your fingers out and get this guy".
Marney1
QUOTE (Skinny  @ Dec 18 2010, 05:20 AM) *
QUOTE (Darth Sexy @ Dec 14 2010, 09:29 PM) *
I'd like him to keep releasing stuff, as it gives Julia Gillard a platform to make herself out to be a complete joke.

Indeed. "Well, um, it's not against the law here, but you Americans really need to pull your fingers out and give this guy a medal".

I agree.
demon
I heard Bank of America blacklisted Wikileaks too. They get more and more unpopular. Nice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.