QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Nov 12 2010, 10:39 PM) *
Did you bother to read the article?

Um yeah, why?
TreeFitty
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Nov 12 2010, 04:44 PM) *
Was there a problem with the old one?

^That's answered in the article.
Massacre
D-Pad was a little off, but it wasn't that bad. Definitely don't see the point of the redesign, other than to make a few bucks off of the people who buy into that "grey buttons are for hardcore gamers" line.

The PS3 controller, on the other hand, could use a redesign. After playing my 360 for so long, I can't remember how I held that awkward little PlayStation controller back in 2004 that kept my hands from cramping up.
demon
Funny how Microsoft had to place the D-pad and the left joystick the way they did. They seem to have been afraid of making it too similar to the Sony product. rolleyes.gif
Marney1
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Nov 13 2010, 12:59 AM) *
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Nov 12 2010, 04:44 PM) *
Was there a problem with the old one?

^That's answered in the article.

That was to spark responses about members' personal experiences (if any) of problems they'd encountered (Massacre got the idea), maybe I could have worded it better.

Massacre
QUOTE (demon @ Nov 12 2010, 10:45 PM) *
Funny how Microsoft had to place the D-pad and the left joystick the way they did. They seem to have been afraid of making it too similar to the Sony product. rolleyes.gif

They didn't "have" to do it, they chose to do it because it's a more comfortable setup to use. When the original PlayStation came out, games were still using a basic D-pad and four button layout, and people hadn't become accustomed to using an analog stick to move. The Xbox came later when people had begun to stop using their D-pad in favor of the left analog stick, so the Xbox controller had its analog stick and D-pad reversed because it felt more natural for the main button (or in this case, stick) to be on that part of the controller. It's not to to differentiate themselves from Sony.

Edit: I have an additional discussion I'd like to start here, but I'll get into that tomorrow.
Heartless

Worst controller. Period.
Massacre
I'm surprised the extra handle on the N64 controller worked out better than the GameCube controller.
Marney1
I used to get blisters from using the NES controller. You could probably slash someones face with the sharp right angles it had.
demon
QUOTE (Massacre @ Nov 13 2010, 08:27 AM) *
They didn't "have" to do it, they chose to do it because it's a more comfortable setup to use. When the original PlayStation came out, games were still using a basic D-pad and four button layout, and people hadn't become accustomed to using an analog stick to move. The Xbox came later when people had begun to stop using their D-pad in favor of the left analog stick, so the Xbox controller had its analog stick and D-pad reversed because it felt more natural for the main button (or in this case, stick) to be on that part of the controller. It's not to to differentiate themselves from Sony.

Really? To me the Sony controller setup feels very natural and I thought it would feel just as weird as it looks to have the left joystick where Microsoft placed it. The Sony controller doesn't fit my hands, but I have a comfortable way of holding it without the palm of my hands touching it. Maybe this is not how it's intended to be held, but in my of holding it, the joysticks are where my thumbs naturally wants to rest. So the way I hold the controller, it would be difficult to use the left joystick if it was where Microsoft placed it. But I figure I would not hold the Microsoft controller this way as it is differently shaped.
As PS2 is my first console it is not old habits that's the reason why I like the Sony setup. I would probably adapted to the MS controller just as easy. This means I buy your explaination, Massy.

Maybe Microsof could have placed the right joystick differently too, at least it would make it look better if it was symetrical.

QUOTE (The Dark Passenger @ Nov 13 2010, 12:15 PM) *

Worst controller. Period.

That thing is fugly! Did it work as bad as it looks?

Heartless
QUOTE (Massacre @ Nov 13 2010, 01:49 PM) *
I'm surprised the extra handle on the N64 controller worked out better than the GameCube controller.

The z?
Massacre
Indeed. I'm glad I never had to switch between that and the D-pad handle during a game. They did a good job keeping it as a one-or-the-other setup.
Pieface
Demon. Microsoft controllers are much more comfortable to hold than Playstation, as with Playstation you're not holding the controller correctly, or stretching your thumbs over the D-Pad. And Microsoft didn't make it symmetrical because the four buttons get as much use as the Playstation's Square, Box, Triangle, Circle so it's more comfortable.
Marney1
QUOTE (Pieface @ Nov 14 2010, 12:04 PM) *
Demon. Microsoft controllers are much more comfortable to hold than Playstation, as with Playstation you're not holding the controller correctly, or stretching your thumbs over the D-Pad. And Microsoft didn't make it symmetrical because the four buttons get as much use as the Playstation's Square, Box, Triangle, Circle so it's more comfortable.

The PS3 controller design played a big part in helping me decide which console to buy. I've always liked the comfortable design of the PS1 controller and like the fact SONY have more or less stayed with it. The Xbox one seems bulkier to me and there's less chance of getting cramp in your hands using it but feels like I have to stretch my thumbs around too much. The PS3 buttons are just a tiny movement from eachother - it may just be that it's what I'm used too.

The in-built rechargable battery is another thing I like.

marney1@ps3controllerisbetterthanthexbox360one.com
demon
Does the MS controller have L1, L2, R1 and R2 buttons? Is the Y, X, A and B button pressure sensitive like the Sony controller? (Dualshock 2 buttons are two-step (or three-step?) buttons.)

I'm open for change because nothing can ever get perfect. Maybe Sony will make a larger controller some day, it would be great.
PabloHoneyOle
A friend of mine received one of the new controllers as part of some contest. It's really not all that different than the old one, except the d-pad. The d-pad "fix" isn't all that great - it'll tear your fingers up. I played a bit of SSFIV and my thumbs were almost numb from the damn ring around the d-pad. It looks cool, but doesn't really match any kind of Xbox 360 color schemes, unless you picked up the Halo Reach console version.
Qdeathstar
I used to always think that I would like the PS3 controller a lot better than the xbox360 controller, just looking at them because the xbox 360 controller looks huge. But having played the ps2 and never the xbox, then playing the ps3 and then moving over to the xbox360, the xbox 360 is definately the better controller, though not by a whole lot. maybe 20 percent better.

Also, the battery pack isn't a big deal since you can a cheap knock off that works for 5 bucks on ebay.
Heartless
QUOTE (Massacre @ Nov 13 2010, 06:42 PM) *
Indeed. I'm glad I never had to switch between that and the D-pad handle during a game. They did a good job keeping it as a one-or-the-other setup.

I think I played a space themed 64 game where the z was to fire. With the steering on the d-pad, it gave it an amazing and unrivaled immersion in what flying is like. I think. Rumble was cool too.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (The Dark Passenger @ Nov 16 2010, 01:26 AM) *

I think I played a space themed 64 game where the z was to fire. With the steering on the d-pad, it gave it an amazing and unrivaled immersion in what flying is like. I think. Rumble was cool too.

Star Fox 64? That controller was made for that game. And Goldeneye - best controller setup ever.
Heartless
QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Nov 16 2010, 07:42 AM) *
QUOTE (The Dark Passenger @ Nov 16 2010, 01:26 AM) *

Star Fox 64? That controller was made for that game. And Goldeneye - best controller setup ever.

Oh yeah. That's right. Goldeneye was hilarious. Oddjob had the same kill space as anyone else, meaning you could kill him with an air shot half the time on multi.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.