Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Naughty Bear
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Other Gaming > Other Games
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (asthenia @ Jul 15 2010, 11:12 AM) *
I heard Naughty Bear sucks massive dick, and I've seen gameplay vids that I think look fucking awful, but I still really want to play it.

I've been watching this game for a long time. The sheer concept of it made me tingle inside. A scorned teddy bear (which ironically looks identical to my childhood teddy bear) is shunned by teddy bear society and goes on a murderous rampage to exact his revenge. As the trailers began to roll out, especially the ones with the Alien/Blair Witch/Jaws spoofs, I got even more and more excited about the game. I promised myself I wouldn't pick this up on release day, even though I wanted the Friday the 13th slasher outfit you got from preordering AND/OR K-mart was selling it for $35 on release day.

I ended up picking up Naughty Bear this week through a trade at CAG. I had read the shitty reviews; I had heard about the freezes and bugs; but I had been waiting for this game for awhile and I went ahead and decided to get it. The kid who traded with me had only played the first level (I could tell by looking at his Xbox Gamercard) and didn't even try to haggle me when trading it, so I knew he probably didn't care for it.

While I was waiting for it to arrive, I read a shitton of negative reviews, like horrible, terrible ones. Usually, I don't really pay attention to reviews, but all the negative shit being said was getting to me. Plus, I kept reading about lots of freezing issues, even with the update that 505 games had put out. I have a newer 360 and I think that I am God, so I was hoping the freezing wouldn't affect me.

I got the game the next day and popped it in. I read through the ingame instruction manual to get a heads up for how shit works as far as the combo system and everything works. The premise is great - you control Naughty, a bear who is denied an invitation to another bear's birthday party, even after making a special present for him. After being shunned, the narrator - who is straight out of a children's afternoon program convinces Naughty to destroy the present and punish the other bears for humiliating him.

For each main level, there are certain objectives that have to be met before continuing on to the next level. The first objective is to punish a certain bear (the one wearing a hat), secondly, reach a certain number of Naughty Points and there is usually an optional objective to destroy a certain number of items (gifts, badges, birds, etc.) - all which yield Naughty Points. I'll skip the explanation of the optional objectives as they are pretty self explanatory and really just have you destroy shit by smashing it, shooting it or throwing it in the fire/toilet.

Naughty Points are earned for just about everything naughty that Naughty does. Points decrease with each repeat action (example: Smash some balloons and you get 500 NP, smash more and you get 450, 400, 350, etc.) so it helps to mix things up and use different weapons and strategies for killing/maiming the other Bears. There is also a combo system in place that multiplies with each bit of naughtiness completed and slowly depletes when mayhem isn't be caused. There is a lot of strategy involved with accumulating Naughty Points. It's easy to go in and just kill the bears with hack and slash and break all their shit, but when you get creative, that's when the Naughty Points come rolling in. There are bronze, silver, gold and platinum trophies to be unlocked for each level by accumulating shittons of Naughty Points.

The main objective of the game is to exact revenge on Naughty's trespassers. I've only gotten through the first couple of levels, but each Bear has wronged Naughty or wants him removed from the island where the Bears live. Each level finds a group of bears getting ready for an event (I've seen a party and an election so far) and it's up to Naughty to exterminate them. Naughty can hide in the wooded areas in a stealth mode (branches in front of his face) and creep around the small Bear community to stalk the residents and plan their impending doom.

At his disposal are a bunch of weapons lying around, bear traps, land mines and a bunch of context-sensual areas that can be used to exact revenge on the Bears. The weapons range from knives to axes to guns to legs of beef and each features an ultra-kill option that features an execution animation (or two) that involves murdering a bear. They are fairly gruesome executions, comparable with Manhunt or the Punisher games. Naughty can also sabotage just about everything in the Bear's homes, including televisions, toilets and ovens - and when a Bear comes to fix it, Naughty can initiate a context-sensative kill with that item, ie. drowning them in the toilet or smashing their head in the oven. The execution moves and context sensual kills are known as Ultra-Kills and yield more Naughty Points. Bear traps and landmines can be used to injure the Bears and slow them down, or you can execute an Ultra-Kill (or scare) while they are trapped.

If you're not feeling so murderous, you can simply scare the Bears to death. Scattered around the map are closets and cupboards that Naughty can hide in and jump out of to scare the other Bears. Bears that have become startled, trapped in traps or that are distracted by fixing something can also be Ultra-Scared, and driven to insanity to the point they will kill themselves or their head explodes. Again, more Naughty Points for the Ultra-Scare, but you also get points for scaring the Bears when they see a dead Bear or hear a Bear screaming for help from a trap.

Anyway, that is pretty much the premise of the game. For each level of the game, their are sub-levels with different objectives than the main level - for instance, your objective may be just to kill all the bears or to kill the bears without being seen, etc. Basically a spin on the original level. Each requires a different strategy and provides an opportunity to whore more Naughty Points and trophies. With each trophy unlocked there is a new outfit unlocked - which provides additional benefits; more life/agililty/etc. and some have stealth and combat benefits as well.

I've only had one glitch since I got the game, it froze at the end of the first level, when going through the door to complete the level. I spent over 30 minutes figuring the game out and getting over a million Naughty Points and then it froze, had to reboot the 360 and got no credit for any of the points or for completing the level. I was fucking pissed. I even put the game on eBay before taking it off and deciding to give it another shot. I'm glad I did, haven't had anymore glitches and I've really started appreciating the game.

There are lots of things about this game that would annoy the casual gamer and cause them to hate this game. There isn't much variation in gameplay given to you, it's actually on you to get creative with carrying out the missions. The game can be very boring and tedious if you just kill, rinse, repeat. If you're a closet homicidal maniac, this game is perfect for you.

It reminds me of Smash TV, Manhunt, Hitman and Conker's Bad Fur Day all rolled up in a fat blunt and smoked straight to the head.
That's the best way to describe this game. If that appeals to you, light it up. If not, please don't.
bOnEs
yea, that DOES appeal to me... this game has been on my radar for months... seriously, i was going to rent this when i went to family video on tuesday but, the lone copy wasn't available... so i instead opted for my second choice, dragon age... now i kind of wish i would of only rented it for a couple days instead of 5 nights... i think i will call family video every day for the next week, asking if a copy is available to rent...

the thing i like most about the concept of this game is the fact that it unleashes your inner cereal killer biggrin.gif... who wouldn't love to sabotage a grill, only to shove another bears face into it and watch him engulf in flames? who wouldn't love to grab a golf club and use another bears head as the ball? who wouldn't want to sneak around the outside of a house in the bushes, watching the bears inside, waiting for the right moment to attack? or hide in a cupboard inside their house and scare the shit out of them? sign me up!!

i too read a shit-ton of reviews, hoping to find some good stuff amongst a lot of hate... and it seems that the repetitiveness, the glitches, and the camera angles are the main reasons for a low score... most reviews said that after an hour of playing, you've seen all there is to see... but, i am assuming that these reviewers are not unleashing their inner cereal killer... some say you literally sit in the bushes for ages, waiting for a bear to walk past your trap... well, duh... what did you expect? a bear to go out of his way, just to walk past your trap?? give me a break... some say the kill animations get old after you've seen it for the hundredth time... but, that just tells me that they are finding a weapon and using it throughout the entire level... where's the creativity??

i am totally renting this game as soon as i possibly can... there isn't one good review out there yet, if you read comments on a lot of the reviews, you hear of people saying how much fun they're having with naughty bear... that just goes to show you that reviewers care more about the technicality of the games, rather than the game itself... i'm sorry but, a few glitches, a troubling camera and replaying levels over and over doesn't turn me away at all... i am used to repetitiveness, for christs sake, i am a GTA fan... bad camera controls? i can't recall how many games i've played with shitty camera controls... it happens like 1 out of 4 times i play a new game... and glitches?? come on, my absolute favorite game of this generation is loaded with glitches, fallout 3... and another one of my favs, the saboteur, didn't get a final polish on the glitches due to the company being shut down... yet, that game kicked ass and the glitches were easy to overlook...

i'm sold on naughty bear, i am renting this very soon... or buying it if the price is right biggrin.gif...
PabloHoneyOle
The price will definitely drop - I'd imagine you could snag one cheap off of eBay in the next month or so.

I meant to mention the Saboteur as a reference point, glad you did bones, you nailed it. It's got the same charm (and sadisticness) that made Saboteur great. Also the lack of positive press and appeal to the casual gamer, but for those dedicated enough, there is a lot of potential in this game.

Naughty Bear is not a game that I am going to beat in a month. It's not a game I am going to play every night, but when I do it's going to be fucking awesome.
Massacre
tl;dr, but I'll be getting this when the price drops. It's already cheap, isn't it? I couldn't imagine this would be a full $60 title.
bOnEs
retails for new at $50... i am seeing it used for $30-$40 right now...
Massacre
It'll hit $20 eventually. Maybe less for used.
bOnEs
i don't think i can wait another month to play this...
Massacre
I'm a bigger nerd than you, I can kill time with WoW.
DuPz0r
I just read that the game is really small, and it gets repetitive fast. It's basically one level composed of a few small areas. Like spyro or croc or some shit...

The game also crashes regularly, and the online play is almost un-playable due to connection issues.
bOnEs
you play WoW?? wow, i didn't peg you as THAT big of a nerd, massacre...

this a great video, i am assuming it's gameplay from the first level... it gives you an idea of how to play the game, and what types of encounters there are, what kinds of kills you can pull off, the weapons available, and basically, the chaos that ensues around the island when your on a ramage...
Massacre
QUOTE (Ben Grundy Wilson @ Jul 16 2010, 02:25 PM) *

Just started. I like orcs. This game has orcs. Orcs. Orcs.

And I like RPG's more than most of you.
TreeFitty
could be better but still pretty funny
DuPz0r
QUOTE (Ben Grundy Wilson @ Jul 16 2010, 07:25 PM) *

this a great video, i am assuming it's gameplay from the first level... it gives you an idea of how to play the game, and what types of encounters there are, what kinds of kills you can pull off, the weapons available, and basically, the chaos that ensues around the island when your on a ramage...

Rofl, that voice over is terrible.

But seriously, what do you guys see in this game? I like the idea of evil bear/manhunt killing spree. But i could imagine it being done so much better by a different developer! This title looks half-cut, and needs a lot of polishing and much more content to catch my attention.
asthenia
I made Stoic type lots.

Also; video reviewers are obviously being cunts about this game. I watched one video review and he ruined the end. Awesome. Prick.
DuPz0r
QUOTE (asthenia @ Jul 16 2010, 08:36 PM) *
I made Stoic type lots.

Also; video reviewers are obviously being cunts about this game. I watched one video review and he ruined the end. Awesome. Prick.

Really? That's a bit harsh, I don't like the game myself, but a professional critic should know better than to do that. What a cunt.
bOnEs
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Jul 16 2010, 03:20 PM) *
Rofl, that voice over is terrible.

But seriously, what do you guys see in this game? I like the idea of evil bear/manhunt killing spree. But i could imagine it being done so much better by a different developer! This title looks half-cut, and needs a lot of polishing and much more content to catch my attention.

ok, so i am not going to convert any of you into naughty bear fans but yea, the game could of been done so much better by someone else, or maybe with a little more development time... but, the concept is still killer IMO... and who knows, maybe the developers think this game could warrant a sequel if they have ideas on how to completely improve the concept...
Massacre
QUOTE (asthenia @ Jul 16 2010, 03:36 PM) *

Lemme guess. The bear kills the last bear, and the credits roll?
bOnEs
5 reasons why naughty bear isn't as bad as critics say it is...

* click here for story *
Massacre
Truthness. And their "cover" image is a great avatar.

bOnEs
i hope they release that photo as an avatar in the playstation store... but, i am sure they won't since all avatars seem to be of exclusive game characters... it is pretty cool though... i like the box art, it's a parody of the shining...

asthenia
The screaming face in his blade is what made me want to play it in the first place.
ENVi3
Remembering my old N64 with Conker's Bad Fur Day is what sort of makes me want to play this game, but back then I mostly played the multiplayer with friends.
bOnEs
i played the first couple of levels last night... it felt a little hectic running around... i was trying to set up some sweet kills but ended up having to slash and hack at most of them... i did stuff one in a freezer, one in the toilet and one into some kind of box... i started learning where the escape stuff was like cars, phones and the boat so, i would run to those items immediately and disable them... no one escapes when i am playing biggrin.gif... the first time i played lol half the island kept leaving by boat and coming back with the police...

it was pretty satisfying to set up bear traps and let wounded bears wander around scaring the other ones... when one bear is startled, the rest become worried as to why he is startled... lol, it's cool to see the chain reaction... i just wish it was easier to sneak around or set up scenarios... maybe i'll get better at that with time...

i'm liking it so far though, good mindless entertainment biggrin.gif...
PabloHoneyOle
I loaned this out to a friend for awhile.

Glad you're enjoying it. I think I'll find myself missing the mindless violence later on. Plus, there is some DLC coming out later this month.
bOnEs
DLC?? really?! i thought 505 abandoned the game already laugh.gif... just looked it up, lol, a pirate theme?? nice... i am getting mad drunk tonight and probably going to play the hell out of this game... the chapters do seem short so, maybe i can whip through the main story here and work on challenges and stuff later tonight...

lol, it cracks me up when i am chasing a bear and every few seconds he conveniently trips over himself laugh.gif... there's just something sadistically amusing with this game... i don't know if it's watching bears suffer, then spooking the other bears, or if it's just the cheerful music i hear as i run around with a machete listening to the other bears scream...
bOnEs
well, i thought i'd be able to whip through the story levels but no, i have go back to previous levels and beat the challenge modes for the levels... which isn't terribly bad i guess... i just expected to waltz through the story and return to the challenges afterwards...

i tell you what though, last night i started kicking ass at this game... once i got the naughty sheriff costume (which allows me to walk amongst the bears unnoticed until they see me do something naughty) i was able to walk around and destroy all means of communication and escape routes well before i started killing the bears...

i wish i could record some of the moments i have with this game... too many LOL moments to be honest... like hiding in the bushes and jumping out to scare the bears, only to hear a few bears in the distance scream because they heard my roar laugh.gif... or hearing one say in bear-jibberish, "OHH NOO!!" when they see the phone lines don't work anymore... killing a bear in front of the other bears... watching the bears huddle up inside a building roaming from window to window then jumping out of the bushes and scaring them some more... seeing three of them huddled together crying out of fear... watching the whole island freak out when a crazy bear is running around... watching an entire island go crazy... shooting a gun and breaking windows and scaring the bears inside the house... etc... etc... etc...

if this game didn't freeze every 3rd or 4th time i finish a level (especially the hard levels), i would be enjoying this more... but instead, i put in an hours worth of work on a challenge, only to see the game freeze when i try to go back to naughty's house to end the mission... fucking sucks but, i am still having fun with the game so i am not getting too pissed about it...
PabloHoneyOle
I've only had the freezing happen to me twice while playing this game. The first time was on the first level, the first time I played. I was so pissed off. Then I loaded the game onto my HD and I didn't have another glitch until a week or two ago. I had an impossibly huge score on the 5th or 6th mission and it froze right at the very end. Kinda drove me crazy.
bOnEs
i am thinking i need to do the patch updates, maybe that'll fix the problem... i haven't taken it online yet...

the 4th level was pretty frikin hard... that's the zombie one... it's pitch black and i can barely see the zombears... thankfully they did all the work in getting me points by wiping out the military so i didn't have to work too hard at it... but, i see an invisible challenge on this level and i just don't think that's possible, unless there's a zombear suit...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.