Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's your internet speed?
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > Geek Central
Pages: 1, 2
Marney1
SpeedTest.net
As you can see mine is not very good and can often go below 1 Mb/s. And my server seems to change location when it feels like it - Coventry, WTF?
asthenia
Until Sept I've got;

Then I'm moving over to 50mbps.
OptimumPx
ENVi3

yeah I just have some cheap DSL, but it works so meh.
DuPz0r

I have a bad service with Virgin, apparently 50mbs fibre optics isn't available in my area yet. "try next year". They've said that for nearly 3 years! :/
asthenia
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Jul 7 2010, 08:36 PM) *

I have a bad service with Virgin, apparently 50mbs fibre optics isn't available in my area yet. "try next year". They've said that for nearly 3 years! :/

Are you on 10mbps at the moment? My friend had 10 for 2 years and never once got over 2mbps down, moved upto 50 about 2 weeks ago and hasn't dropped under 49mbps in any test so far. He lives under a mile away from me... Joke, huh?
Pieface

On a 20mb plan.
trathen93

well marney, I suppose mine is better at the moment. My internet has a tendency for disconnecting though
Pieface
What the hell is Opal Telecom?
trathen93
QUOTE (Pieface @ Jul 8 2010, 11:14 PM) *
What the hell is Opal Telecom?

the internet is through talktalk (free broadband), something makes me think they just bought out another small company and combine it in their packages in certain areas.
River
Can only get dsl here, no cable or fios :/ I really want to get fios, I keep bugging them about when its going to be here haha. I have a 6 mb dsl connection tho.

TreeFitty

and this is an "okay" day... :-/
Marney1
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Jul 9 2010, 03:03 AM) *

and this is an "okay" day... :-/

Mine has been known to go way below that ^

I can't believe in this day and age some of us can't even get 1Mb/s but others enjoy 50 Mb/s.
Heartless
DuffMan

Pretty disgusting really. Especially when I can get 200/200 at uni >_>
DuPz0r
QUOTE (asthenia @ Jul 7 2010, 10:08 PM) *
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Jul 7 2010, 08:36 PM) *

Are you on 10mbps at the moment? My friend had 10 for 2 years and never once got over 2mbps down, moved upto 50 about 2 weeks ago and hasn't dropped under 49mbps in any test so far. He lives under a mile away from me... Joke, huh?

Yep, 10mbs my arse. I called them a couple of times, and they said "Up to" 10 megabits. That reading was actually higher then i usually get. I'd be lucky to get over 2mbs most of the time. I can't wait until fibre optics are available in my area, we're already too far behind the rest of the world! I bet Ghana have at least 10 mbs interwebs, using copper wire just stuck in the side of there laptops! sleep.gif
cuda is your boi
good enough.

trathen93
I give you proof of purely shit internet at its best

TreeFitty

First Aid building internet. better than at home... sleep.gif
DuffMan
QUOTE (Woy Hodgson @ Jul 12 2010, 02:01 AM) *

What the fuck is Opal Telecom?
trathen93
QUOTE (DuffMan @ Jul 18 2010, 03:01 PM) *

Ive been asked this before. Im on talktalk. so I searched the internet and wikipedia brought this up: Opal Telecom is the business broadband and telephone provider of TalkTalk.

It appears that talktalk bought them out a few years back and they just sell the packages that are still in opal areas.
Pieface
QUOTE (DuffMan @ Jul 18 2010, 03:01 PM) *

Stop copying me, you douche.
Gazz

Never really drops below 9mb, usually between 10-12mb, drops to 9 at about peak times...

Its wierd,im near Glasgow yet the speedtest sees me as nearer Manchester tongue.gif
Sheep
biggrin.gif
Massacre
*Strangles the life out of Sheep*
Sheep
ohmy.gif

Hopefully 100Meg by the end of the year too, i'll keep you updated (and jelous) smile.gif
Jáger

Yeah, I need to upgrade my connection.
Marney1
@El-Nino, I'm off Windy Arbour Rd now and the speed is still shit! You up for a protest march or what?
trathen93
QUOTE (Not Guilty @ Aug 4 2010, 06:45 PM) *
@El-Nino, I'm off Windy Arbour Rd now and the speed is still shit! You up for a protest march or what?

ye, lets go put a banner up on the liver building, we can download the design off the internet. scratch that, how about some kids hand paints and an old bed sheet?
Marney1
QUOTE (Woy Hodgson @ Aug 4 2010, 11:10 PM) *
QUOTE (Not Guilty @ Aug 4 2010, 06:45 PM) *

ye, lets go put a banner up on the liver building, we can download the design off the internet. scratch that, how about some kids hand paints and an old bed sheet?

You get the kids I'll get the van bed sheet.
TreeFitty

firehouse internet
Qdeathstar
Massacre
Heh, Cox.
Ophis-
lol.

(at work)

(at home)
TreeFitty
Field Communications Unit. Somehow goes to Kansas before getting out to the internet.
trathen93
QUOTE ( Sheep @ Aug 2 2010, 05:29 PM) *
biggrin.gif

how can you get 50mb/s and I struggle to get 1mb/s. I feel down now. thanks sheep sad.gif
demon
QUOTE ( Sheep @ Aug 2 2010, 08:09 PM) *
ohmy.gif

Hopefully 100Meg by the end of the year too, i'll keep you updated (and jelous) smile.gif

ohmy.gif What the fuck do you need 100 Mb/s for unless you are a corporation, or intend to download every movie and every song in the whole world? Is even 50 Mb/s worth the cost?

WTF?! I got better and I got worse, but this is about average of several tests. I pay for 16 Mb/s. dry.gif

Then I used a different test site and got much better results:
Ping: 85 - 266 ms, average about 120 ms.
Download: 10.62 - 43.96. Average 24.88 Mb/s. Out of 34 tests, 21 consecutive tests had above 20 Mb/s.
Upload: 0.32 - 0.63 Mb/s. Average 0.45 Mb/s.

This is more than I need, I'm gonna lower the speed and lower the bill. It started with 704 kb/s many years ago, and the speed has been upgraded almost every year, for the same cost. I don't need more than 5 Mb/s actually. This is a waste of money. sleep.gif
demon
Arrggh lol, it took me an half hour to do the speed test and post this. Jumpy.gif

56k analog modem. (Windows says the speed is 44k).

What is 0.03 Mb/s converted to kb/s?

What the hell is that for a ping time??
cuda is your boi
0.03 Mb/s = 30 kb/s something.
demon
Windows said the connection was 44k, but 30k could perhaps be the real speed.

0.1 MB is not equal to 100 kB, so I don't know if 0.1 Mb is equal to 100 kb? How is this working?

Anyhow, it's good to post by broadband again.
ENVi3
my school:
demon
QUOTE (ENVi3 @ Sep 16 2010, 01:02 AM) *
my school:

lol my recently posted analog modem speed was slower than that. tongue.gif
trathen93

The speed today in the college, nice and fast but i cant download fuck all because of the fuckin filter on the network. shame really.
Marney1
QUOTE (El-Nino @ Oct 7 2010, 11:41 AM) *

The speed today in the college, nice and fast but i cant download fuck all because of the fuckin filter on the network. shame really.

Wow I didn't know speeds like that were possible. What college/area is that?
trathen93
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Oct 7 2010, 01:57 PM) *
QUOTE (El-Nino @ Oct 7 2010, 11:41 AM) *

Wow I didn't know speeds like that were possible. What college/area is that?

im at st helens college, we done a speed test thing test last week in one of the classes:

got this one a few mins ago:
Marney1
I did my plumbing and gas at St Helens college - the Technology Centre, you know past the bus station and over the bridge in Pocket Nook?

trathen93
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Oct 7 2010, 03:32 PM) *
I did my plumbing and gas at St Helens college - the Technology Centre, you know past the bus station and over the bridge in Pocket Nook?

i think i know where it is,but i dont have to go there as im on the main campus in the town centre in the new building.
demon
QUOTE (El-Nino @ Oct 7 2010, 03:33 PM) *
im at st helens college, we done a speed test thing test last week in one of the classes:

87/39. WTF blink.gif

§ynch

^That's pretty sad.

Next day:
demon
@§ynch
Upload is faster. Lol that's a strange result.

Edit, I retested:

My upload speed and ping time sucks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.