Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who's The Best Rock Band of our Generation?
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > General Discussion
Marney1
My choice as most of you will already know is 'Iron Maiden'!!!!!!

Arguments please!!
Marney1
QUOTE (NukaLurk @ Jun 27 2010, 04:12 AM) *
Who's generation? For 99% of this forum, Iron Maiden is not this generation.

Well because they're still going strong I'd dissagree but that's partly why I said "arguments please." I'm open to change, anyone who can convince me that someone else is a better band then let's hear/see them.
0bs3n3
Yeah Iron Maiden ain't my generation.

And before someone says it, definitely NOT acdc. All of their albums sound virtually the same.
Spoiler
my choice!

ViceMan
While I like Maiden I don't think I could listen to all of their albums in a row, they sound too samey after a while.
trathen93
or maybe its Queen

Heartless
This sounds more like a general best band ever topic then generation specific. If that's the case, then all of these bands are acceptable choices.
ENVi3
QUOTE (NukaLurk @ Jun 27 2010, 11:22 AM) *
This sounds more like a general best band ever topic then generation specific. If that's the case, then all of these bands are acceptable choices.

or more like "what's your favorite band" topic.
asthenia
These guys are pretty fucking epic.
DiO
Well, if my generation are people that are around 20 years old and they predominantly listen to radio bands like Nickelback, then I can't say cause it's all shit.
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE (Lee Bridges @ Jun 27 2010, 06:20 PM) *
Well, if my generation are people that are around 20 years old and they predominantly listen to radio bands like Nickelback, then I can't say cause it's all shit.

Bulkstack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE
DuffMan
Queen. Best live performance by anyone, ever:

Seriously, watch it...
River
Zacko
My generation is what, 1990 upwards? In which case I don't really know...

Any bands like I dunno, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Radiohead, Soundgarden, Pantera, Rage, Chilis, Muse are all in with a shout IMO. I'm not sure what qualifies as best but they all sum up 1990-2010 for me.
Qdeathstar
I'd have to say Tool, Alice in Chains, RHCP and RATM...
LoonaTyk1
QUOTE (Lee Bridges @ Jun 27 2010, 08:20 PM) *

have to agree with this. the music of this generation sucks balls. rock completely died in the 80's with the exception of maybe Alice in Chains .
Qdeathstar
I gotta disagree.

and, if you want to know it he can still sing...it's hard to believe its the same band...

Pieface
McFly!

Yeah!
Heartless
Best song of my generation?

demon
QUOTE (Mary Hinge @ Jun 27 2010, 03:19 AM) *
My choice as most of you will already know is 'Iron Maiden'!!!!!!

Arguments please!!

Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin. smile.gif

If you did not approve of heavy metal as "rock", then I'd say CCR. Heck, I say CCR anyway. smile.gif
And if I only can mention ONE band then it's gotta be Iron Maiden.

Arguments? It's just a matter of taste.
Mattay
Best band of my generation? I'd rather not have to sit down and pick one, the 90's was full of variety and change. Nirvana, R.E.M., Pearl Jam, some new stuff from the old bands (Aerosmith, Eric Clapton, etc). But I dunno, Kurt Cobain had a pretty big impact for rock and roll in the 90's. But Metallica, GnR, and the Chili Peppers were on top too.

90's rock ain't got shit on the original rock and roll. Kurt Cobain can't hold a candle to Mick Jagger, nor Axel rose to Robert Plant.

I mean come on, this is the greatest shit ever.

And Heartless, Buddy Holly is one of the greatest musicians ever. period.
demon
Thank you Mattay for posting that. Awesome. cool.gif
I should have chosen Rolling Stones instead of Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR), as CCR had actually broken up at the time I got an interest in rock music. But CCR were still played on radio several times a day years after the breakup, hell they are still played on radio today but not as often.
basicked
at the drive-in.......
Severus Snape
I agree with what Mattay said. It's so hard to pick the best band of a generation, especially when you're trying to compare guys like Dave Navarro and Kurt Cobain to guys like Paul McCartney and Roger Waters. It's so hard to even put these guys all on the same level because without McCartney and Waters, you wouldn't even have Navarro and Cobain. And we'll take it a step further - without Elvis Presley and Ella Fitzgerald you probably wouldn't have McCartney and Waters. And so on and so forth.

I can state what music I like to listen to, and what I don't want to hear. But I can't state which is (in my opinion) the greatest band of my generation. For the reasons listed above, of course, but also because I listen to music that spans multiple generations. I like music from all eras and genres (except hardcore gangsta rap, but I don't want to turn this into a rock vs. rap thread, so I'll just say I don't like it). Everything from the Beatles to Marilyn Manson, Conway Twitty to Toby Keith. Rock, (some) rap, country, jazz, bluegrass, classical (nothing more relaxing than some Tchaikovsky or Handel), pop - I like a little of everything.

I just can't name 1 band that is better than everybody else for my generation. I can think of a couple that are up on top - Beatles, Elvis, Floyd, Manson, Metallica, Nirvana, Jane's Addiction.....But you see what I'm getting at. In that short list I've got 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s all covered. Guess it just depends on what mood I'm in at the time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.