Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car/Driving Stories
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > General Discussion
0bs3n3
So I just got back from a longish drive and I am in the mood to hear some car/driving stories.

I can't think of anything at the moment but I will post when I do.
Bain
Um well, I was stationed in North Carolina, and I went home last Thanksgiving weekend. I had to drive back, and I had about 25 hours, so I was like, ok, plenty of time. 2.5 hours of traffic, just to get out of the city of Chicago later, I was tired.

Enegry drinks pounded.

I went from state to state changing the temperature in my car again and again from hot to cold to shock my system....
I ended up finally needing to take a nap, in what state, cant remeber, Virginia, or Carolina.

Slept for 50 minutes, woke up, feeling well..........less ridiculous pain, but not better, because of the 6-8 cans of energy drinks in my heart and organs. Drove like 2-3 more hours and made it to the bookstore where my so called friends were non chalantly like whats up.

I was on the road for 21 hours minus that nap. Never want to do that again.

0bs3n3
I have no stories as epic as that...
coreyko_2003
I had to take one of my friends out of town one day and this fuckhead was weaving in and out of traffic, so I was gonna follow him and cause a scene but the girl I was driving told me not to so I just kept up behind him in the other lane......well we get into the city of which, and that tard that was cutting people off took a turn too quick, spun out, and went over the median.....and I couldn't help but to yell out the window "Haha, you stupid prick".
Kamahl
About 4 or 5 months ago, it was about 9pm and i was coming back from the beach... i was on the highway and everything seemed pretty normal... about 50 meters ahead i see a truck (pic below to give you an idea) and suddenly i see him turning left and then right too fast, i suppose there was something on the road and he tried not to hit it, the problem was that truck didnt have stability so i saw it turn sideways right in front of me. I was on the left lane and i was lucky he went right cause if he had gone left i think i probably would have hit him.

The truck was kinda like this:
TheAnalogKid2112
One time I drove to Wal-Mart and I got a really good parking space.
Marney1
I went to the Trafford Centre once then couldn't find my car for about 40 minutes and really began to really think it had been stolen. I wouldn't mind but straight after parking it I commented that it would be easy to find later on because it was near some escalators...........but there were lots of escalators leading up to the shopping centre. When we found it we laughed out loud and rolled on the floor laughing.

Hardcore Ottoman
Two cars didn't like the speed I was going at so they changed lanes, one on the left & one on the right. After driving past me they tried to change back into my lane but they tried to do it in the same available space. So at first they don't care to check their blind spot but right before rubbing together they flip out hit the brakes and turn abruptly away from each other stressing out everyone nearby. It ultimately stopped traffic but there were no actual collisions and after everyone realized that we accelerated and continued on...

I would have laughed but I didn't...
demon
I have many stories, but they would be better if captured on film because it's difficult to describe them well.
One time I drove a 13 ton bus on an street paved with ice, and a car came from the right. I had the right of way because the street I drove had priority. The car tried to stop but because of the ice he couldn't stop in time. He stopped right in front of me, in the narrow "strips" where traffic had wore deep tracks in the ice. I managed to pull off an icredible manouvre that saved his health, maybe his life. No damages whatsoever. I had to do all the braking while the tires was on the narrow asphalt strips, then release the brakes and do a sharp left turn. It happened so quick that I didn't get time to think. I saw there didn't come traffic against me so I used 15 meters / 50 feet of the opposite lane to stop. Had there been traffic in the opposite lane then I'd probably chosen to destroy his car, it would have beens safest option for myself. I would rather that than get a tree or a house in my face. It was after all his fault.

The right curve is not that sharp, but it is downhill for me. The green are trees. The black lines are deep tracks in the ice where the asphalt is bare, the rest is ice of several inches tickness. Note that the bus is wider than normal traffic that had generated the bare asphalt tracks, so only the two left or the two right bus wheels could be down in the "asphalt track" and get good traction at a time.

I have experienced a dozen similar stories, but things like that happens all the time some place. They are not really special in any way. One example is all I can be bothered with.

The really special stories that is worth talking about are those things you see on tv, like the programme "Destroyed In Seconds", and similar. Tonight I watched and there was a speedway incident. The biker fell off and the throttle was stuck on full throttle. The engine kill switch failed. The bike did unbelievable and weird things as it sped across the pitch. It did a wheelie and somehow drove over the barriers and ended up in the crowd. No people was injured. I laughed my ass off at the stunts the driverless bike did. laugh.gif

QUOTE (TheAnalogKid2112 @ Jun 14 2010, 05:26 PM) *
One time I drove to Wal-Mart and I got a really good parking space.

Yeah, quite funny huh...
Sheep
All my stories involve people needing to learn to drive dry.gif

For example the other day some idiot tried to overtake the car infromt of him while i was busy overtaking him, obviously didnt use mirrors or even bother to look, luckily i had a more powerful car so could still overtake him and no one got hurt
coreyko_2003
Here back in late '07/early '08 it was snowing really bad and I just got done with some post-work grocery shopping and driving back in a snowstorm.....Well, I was turning onto another main road and had a good laugh watching this idiot turn the wrong way onto the street.
asthenia
QUOTE ( Sheep @ Jun 15 2010, 10:41 PM) *
All my stories involve people needing to learn to drive dry.gif

For example the other day some idiot tried to overtake the car infromt of him while i was busy overtaking him, obviously didnt use mirrors or even bother to look, luckily i had a more powerful car so could still overtake him and no one got hurt

I got one like this. I was driving to work and the road there always has loads of Tractors on it in summer, 1 lane all the way and and deep dykes on each side, I was stuck behind a lorry, that was behind a tractor, with traffic behind us... I was that "lucky" guy at the front of the que... He had plenty of chances to overtake on a 20 mile strip, so as we came around a quite sharp corner I peeked out, nothing there, I pull out and go to overtake, and the lorry driver, without checking his mirrors, just fucking pulls out into my, I ended up half on the road, half on the grass verge before the dyke, slamming my brakes on to get back in behind him, fuck know what happened, cause I still can't remember it, I kind of blacked out while my body took control. Alls I know is he ended up in front of me, and I ended up in front of the tractor, which I guess is kind of what I'd been going for all that time... Needless to say when he turned off I flipped him off and called him a cunt. So many people die on that road, and I'd been driving about 4 months at the time... I guess it would've been my fault if I died right, cause he could've said I just tried to get around him while he was over taking. Which, if you'd ever driven on that road, you'd know is a ridiculous idea.

Here's the road:

That's where it happened too, look over at the right by the lorry, that sign doesn't look as dipped as it is. And that's where I'd have been pushed into, which again, is deeper IRL.

This is the type of lorry it was:
Marney1

That pic reminds me of a time I was driving back from a job and saw a flat back lorry parked at the side of the road with huge steel sheets on the back. They looked about 12ft x 6ft and about an inch thick, the reason he'd stopped was that one of these sheets had somehow ended up half buried in the field next to the road. It was embedded about 5ft in the ground and standing vertically, dread to think what it would have done to my custom headlights had it hit my van.
Sheep
Asthenia thats crazy, i hate it when people dont use their mirror, luckily this road was wide so it wasnt too much bother, but lucky nothing else was coming the other way

Another time some idiot nearly killed us all, was coming up from a bank on a blind corner and this idiot infront of me decides to overtake on it, no way he can see whats coming and sure enough theres something coming the other way, i know what you mean about the blacking out thing and not remembering what happened ,i remember this oncoming car beeping and flashing his lights and i ws so sure there was gonna be a head on collision i slammed my breaks on ready, luckily he JUST missed the oncoming car, he must have crapped himself, i did.

I too will use google maps to illustrate my point at how stupid a place it is to overtake

So im about here in the pic (on the other side of the road though) going up the hill and the guy infront of me decides its a good time to overtake
ViceMan
Here's something REALLY funny, while driving the van at work I always pull away in 2nd gear!!... One time while crossing the A12 at Pettits Lane I even pulled away in 3rd!!!! AHAHHAHAHA! YEAH I KNOW, FUNNY RIGHT?! AHAHAHAHAHHA!
Pieface
When I leave a junction or the lights at second gear I always try and make it without changing down, even though it's more sensible to change gear.
DuffMan
I can't park for shit smile.gif

Most of my stories just involve being cut up in rush hour traffic. Nothing exciting so far.
Qdeathstar
hmm.

Well, last year i was driving back from a ski trip, I left around 5pm and it was snowing hard so the roads were all messed up and icy... could only do about 25mph on the freeway so it turned a 5 hr trip into a 10 hr trip... so at about 2am i was half asleep driving and i noticed that my steering wheel was getting hard to push. I was going WTF? I kept pulling it and pulling it but it still wanted to go to the left... finally after about a minute of drowsiness i woke up enough to realize that i had a flat tire.. had to pull of and fix it in the pitch black because everywhere else but that 20 mile stretch of highway there are lights, but not there.

Also, thanks to me, I didn't have a travel kit (AKA flashlight) so i had to use my cellphone as flash light which sucked and every time a car wizzed by on the icy roads i was afraid it would fly off the road and into my car. Luckily i was able to change the tire without incident and road on.
demon
QUOTE ( Sheep @ Jun 16 2010, 12:46 PM) *

wtf? is there anything that is not on Google maps now? Can you search any location and get photos that are not taken from satelite?

TreeFitty
^it's not everywhere. they started with big cities and now are getting into other areas.
demon
I've heard about Google "spy" vans in cities, but both the pictures used here looked rural. It could of course be near a big city.

I tried Google Maps in a random city, I chose Liverpool UK. The outer parts of the city was not covered. This should not be surprising, and I'm more surprised of the map photos already posted.

They suck in any info where they go, even insecured wifi signals. I know what I'll do when they come into my bathroom. dry.gif
Marney1
QUOTE (demon @ Jun 17 2010, 05:44 AM) *
I've heard about Google "spy" vans in cities, but both the pictures used here looked rural. It could of course be near a big city.

I tried Google Maps in a random city, I chose Liverpool UK. The outer parts of the city was not covered. This should not be surprising, and I'm more surprised of the map photos already posted.

They suck in any info where they go, even insecured wifi signals. I know what I'll do when they come into my bathroom. dry.gif

Yeah it turns out they've 'accidently' been stealing all our wireless information when passing with their 'camera' - passwords, everything.
demon
If someone just could shoot out their tyres!

I wonder how many bytes all of Google's hard disks can store. Included YouTube's.

DuffMan
QUOTE (demon @ Jun 17 2010, 06:02 AM) *
I wonder how many bytes all of Google's hard disks can store. Included YouTube's.

There was a graph on Gizmodo a few months back that estimated they had a million servers located around the world. Do the maths.

EDIT: here: http://gizmodo.com/5517041/googles-insane-...vers-visualized

1,000,000, compared to Facebook's 30,000.
asthenia
Just like to add - the photo I put up was 18 miles from the nearest city.
demon
QUOTE (DuffMan @ Jun 17 2010, 06:39 AM) *
QUOTE (demon @ Jun 17 2010, 06:02 AM) *

There was a graph on Gizmodo a few months back that estimated they had a million servers located around the world. Do the maths.

EDIT: here: http://gizmodo.com/5517041/googles-insane-...vers-visualized

1,000,000, compared to Facebook's 30,000.

Estimated to be more than one million servers. About 2 % of the servers in the world. Google has way too much power, also as hardware customer.

But it said nothing about the storage capacity. How large is the average server? No one of you can answer that, but I ask anyway haha.

Sheep
Yeah street view has just come to my area recently
Indy
Ambulance reversed into me dry.gif
Pieface
Don't lie, you drove into him!

I did have a police car overtake me once, and was going far too fast and had to slam on his brakes for the car in front of me due to a car coming in the other direction, skidding all over the place and was inches off crashing into the car in front of me.
asthenia
I had a copper do that to me recently too... Even stranger, I was driving home in the dark doing about 100mph (dual carriageway, I ain't trying to look cool, I just wanted to get home) and a car got RIGHT up my arse, we were over taking traffic, so both in the fast lane and he wouldn't back off at all so I just ignored him til I found a spot I was happy to pull into in the slow lane, and it wasn't until I'd pulled back in that I realised it was the Police, the guy really put his foot down when I got out of the way, no sirens, nothing. Obviously his donuts were being ordered and no one had told him.
EMBO
Was behind a Polish lorry driver in an overtaking lane not long ago doing about 70mph... suddenly he decides he wants to turn left from the overtaking (right) lane. Slammed the brakes on, car starts fishtailing, ended up doing a 360 stopping about a foot away from a steel crash barrier with smoke everywhere. Needed 3 new tyres and a new alloy for that (about 900)... never got his number plate sleep.gif

HAI btw biggrin.gif
asthenia
I've had close ones like that, never ended up going full circle or even fish tailing though. Just managed to read him and back off quick enough.

OMFG EMBO!!!!!!
demon
QUOTE (Pieface @ Jul 1 2010, 12:39 AM) *
Don't lie, you drove into him!

I did have a police car overtake me once, and was going far too fast and had to slam on his brakes for the car in front of me due to a car coming in the other direction, skidding all over the place and was inches off crashing into the car in front of me.

Omg, if that happened to me, I would have intercepted him and confiscated his driver license. I'm no cop but I would have apprehended him. angry.gif

QUOTE (asthenia @ Jul 1 2010, 01:09 PM) *
I had a copper do that to me recently too... Even stranger, I was driving home in the dark doing about 100mph (dual carriageway, I ain't trying to look cool, I just wanted to get home) and a car got RIGHT up my arse, we were over taking traffic, so both in the fast lane and he wouldn't back off at all so I just ignored him til I found a spot I was happy to pull into in the slow lane, and it wasn't until I'd pulled back in that I realised it was the Police, the guy really put his foot down when I got out of the way, no sirens, nothing. Obviously his donuts were being ordered and no one had told him.

roll2.gif
Isn't that, like, 70% above the speed limit? What a do-nut.

QUOTE (EMBO @ Aug 3 2010, 12:25 PM) *
Was behind a Polish lorry driver in an overtaking lane not long ago doing about 70mph... suddenly he decides he wants to turn left from the overtaking (right) lane. Slammed the brakes on, car starts fishtailing, ended up doing a 360 stopping about a foot away from a steel crash barrier with smoke everywhere. Needed 3 new tyres and a new alloy for that (about 900)... never got his number plate sleep.gif

HAI btw biggrin.gif

I don't know, but the way you say it, it sounds to me as you were at fault for that. It sucks, but maybe you were lucky it didn't cost you a new car, or a few arms... wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.