Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: *spoilers* ending
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Red Dead Series > Red Dead Redemption
Pages: 1, 2
JamieMilne
hey just finished the main story yesterday and im disappointed by it, i dont want to play as jack. i didnt even like him before i knew what would eventually happen. is anyone else just a bit pissed off that your forced to play on as some charactered you dont really know, i mean we saw him for about 6 missions, we've jsut played through the whole game as john, got to know him, yyous get what i mean?. this is actually a dealbreaker for me, the second i realised i had to play on as jack i lost all interest in the game, im seriously just been turned off by it
JamieMilne
anyone else pissed off by it
bOnEs
nope, not at all... in fact, i LOVE IT!! it's a great twist and really made the final mission in the game one of the best in the history of video games... i do believe it's a first too... it makes the upcoming 2nd DLC pack very intriguing, especially if it's going to be an episodic thing like they did with liberty city...
GLC
I'm wouldn't say I was disappointed because it made a great ending, however it did take me a little while to get used to Jack's squeaky voice...
bOnEs
and that "go'on get'at'er" he yells at his horse laugh.gif... he's got a much thicker cowboy accent than his father, which is weird... but, i do like the fact that the last of the legendary outlaws was finished off and basically, it feels like jack is the bridge from the cowboy era to the modern era...

i think that's what R* was going for... john was the last of his kind... it was basically the death of the west... i love it...

plus, like viceman said in a different thread, jack looks better in most of the outfits... it was like they were made for him and not john... well, the gang outfits look like they were made for john but, the marshall, army, elegant, reyes rebel, and gentleman's attire all look like they were made for jack... he fits them perfectly...
JamieMilne
oh a 2nd dlc pack, well if its like episodes then and we played as Jack then id probly grow to like him, but i liked playing as john lol, and now im playing as a character i dont really know that well,

the only thing that bothers me about eh outfits is the original cowboy out that john wore i liked and its changed for jack lol.

and is there not a picture of john wearing the marshals outfit in the sleave of the special edition ? im confused by that .
ViceMan
Not going to use a spoiler tag, since this whole topic is about the ending, don't read the topic if you don't want it spoiled, anyway;

There isn't really any difference between the two aside from the voice, but as I said most of the outfits do seem to suit Jack better, strangely. My only gripe is that although 3 years have passed in the game (making Jack 18) nothing seems to have changed, towns have got no larger, and NPCs still talk about old events, such as the rebellion in Mexico by Reyes. (Although if you read the newspaper in 1914 it says he's actually assumed leadership and has become corrupted himself.)
Massacre
Ahem.

"Work, ya damn nag!"

*Shoots television*

That is all.
bOnEs
"YEEEEEHAAAAAWWW!!"

*shoots the TV too*
DiO
I say amazing ending. I was actually pretty bummed to see John die. I did pretty much all the stranger missions. Im wondering what would have happened if you want complete then I finished it as jack. How would it work? Would jack be in cut scenes?
bOnEs
the strangers usually talk about how john was a good man for helping them out, even though jack is finishing up their unfinished business... it's pretty cool actually... and the ones that weren't started yet, they just treat you as they would if your were john, with no mention of john when playing as jack...

it was kind of cool to see it play out like that... i wanted to test it like an hour after i beat the game... i saw some unfinished side-quests and wanted to see what would happen...
DiO
Ill just have to save the side missions for jack on my next play though.
DuPz0r
I fucking loved the ending. Went out with a bang... Brilliant! Jack aint so bad. He looks a bit Mexican but that's ok. At least you can still wear all the outfits and do all the side missions as Jack.
DiO
I hope they explain how his mom dies only a few years after John did in some DLC.
TwoFacedTanner
I like the ending. Hated it at first.
I've grown to like Jack, I love how he says "Work, ya damn nag!"
I use that line on my girlfriend!
And "Stop dillydallying and work!"

Those are my fave lines.
Im excited about DLC, because I did about 90% of everything as John, only like two strangers and I've been saving them.
Hardcore Ottoman
I started Daedelus with John and finished it with Jack. He says, "my God is that you? John Marston?" and then he plummets to his death. I will say that California didn't notice the character change... although that guy is fucked out of his mind anyway.

PS--How many days does it take to start the third part of California? Like a whole month? Shit is annoying...
DiO
I'm curious too see what the I know you guy says.
TwoFacedTanner
I swear that guy has to be God.
John says something like "Damn you!" and says many people have or something.
That quest line fractured my brain. I loved it!
DiO
QUOTE (TwoFacedTanner @ Jun 2 2010, 07:02 PM) *
I swear that guy has to be God.
John says something like "Damn you!" and says many people have or something.
That quest line fractured my brain. I loved it!

Haha. Yah mad trippy.

Then he just disappears at the end.
Hardcore Ottoman
I think that guy was the best random encounter. Really some weird element added to the story.
TwoFacedTanner
No doubt.
I just think of "god damn" when he said many people damned him.

Gah, I almost want to restart the game and skip him so I can see what he says to Jack.
aussie_b8ler
The "I know you" side mission is the only one that doesn't count towards the 100% in the game. My guess is because it disappears if you haven't done it by the time John is killed. Could be wrong though.
ViceMan
QUOTE (aussie_b8ler @ Jun 3 2010, 09:29 AM) *
The "I know you" side mission is the only one that doesn't count towards the 100% in the game. My guess is because it disappears if you haven't done it by the time John is killed. Could be wrong though.

Yes, it can't be done as Jack, only John.
Hardcore Ottoman
Interesting...
DiO
Dam....
TwoFacedTanner
Indubitably
bOnEs
yea, i didn't finish this one up before the end because, i had no clue... it's a damn shame too because, it seems like there's two different endings to that mission seeing as how you can either convince him to cheat on his wife, or scold him for thinking about it... and i am on my evil game right now so, i don't think i'll take the honorable route with this one...

i might have to wait for my third playthrough to see the honorable route...
deejay
i too dont like Jack, but the ending was perfect, i felt really bad for John. its like getting to know someone for years and all of a sudden hes gone, R* really knows how to tug on ur emotional strings. if there is a sequel, i wouldnt like to play as Jack, i would actually prefer a prequel.
TwoFacedTanner
Like I've said before, I love Jack, there is a reason for him to be there, I mean, he has nappy ass hair and I hate how he styles it, but I like Jack. Hes trying to be like his father.
Chicago51
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jun 3 2010, 09:31 AM) *
QUOTE (aussie_b8ler @ Jun 3 2010, 09:29 AM) *

Yes, it can't be done as Jack, only John.

Luckily this was the 1st side mission i went to do after John's death. When it wasn't there, I loaded my last save and did it then. Plus it gave me a another chance to take out more of those bastards outside the barn.

I don't mind playing as Jack but the voice is going to take a bit of getting used to. Plus I think John should have explained his situation to Jack a bit better. Maybe it'd stop him becoming the crazy bastard I plan on making him. And people thought Dutch was bad.....
Massacre
QUOTE (deejay @ Jun 5 2010, 11:38 AM) *
i too dont like Jack, but the ending was perfect, i felt really bad for John. its like getting to know someone for years and all of a sudden hes gone, R* really knows how to tug on ur emotional strings. if there is a sequel, i wouldnt like to play as Jack, i would actually prefer a prequel.

I'd like a prequel, simply to see John in his outlaw days with Bill, Dutch, and Esuela on his side.
ViceMan
QUOTE (Massacre @ Jun 18 2010, 05:56 PM) *

I'd like a prequel, simply to see John in his outlaw days with Bill, Dutch, and Esuela on his side.

I don't think there would be anywhere for them to go with a sequel, the main characters are all dead, the wild west itself is nearly dead. All signs point to a prequel set in the glory days of the ol' west. I'll say it again, i'd like to see a game set in the American civil war, with you in the middle taking jobs from both sides. Landon Ricketts would be a perfect character as he'd be about 25 years old back in the 1860's.
skyfam
If there's a PC version .there will be trainer or mod,right?

maybe we canlock his health and active dead eye to prevent him from dying
Chicago51
QUOTE (skyfam @ Jul 8 2010, 07:21 PM) *
If there's a PC version .there will be trainer or mod,right?

maybe we canlock his health and active dead eye to prevent him from dying

There's already cheats that do that.
Assassin
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jun 19 2010, 04:07 AM) *
QUOTE (Massacre @ Jun 18 2010, 05:56 PM) *

I don't think there would be anywhere for them to go with a sequel, the main characters are all dead, the wild west itself is nearly dead. All signs point to a prequel set in the glory days of the ol' west. I'll say it again, i'd like to see a game set in the American civil war, with you in the middle taking jobs from both sides. Landon Ricketts would be a perfect character as he'd be about 25 years old back in the 1860's.

Landon rickets dies, it says in the newspaper.
TreeFitty
QUOTE (Assassin @ Jul 15 2010, 05:29 PM) *
... Landon Ricketts would be a perfect character as he'd be about 25 years old back in the 1860's.

He's talking about a game set prior to RDR. So Rickettes is still alive, and young.
Assassin
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Jul 16 2010, 07:01 AM) *
QUOTE (Assassin @ Jul 15 2010, 05:29 PM) *
... Landon Ricketts would be a perfect character as he'd be about 25 years old back in the 1860's.

He's talking about a game set prior to RDR. So Rickettes is still alive, and young.

oh ok
bOnEs
but... we already know that none of the add-ons will be new stories... they're all multiplayer additions... however, i do think the zombie add-on might come with a few missions though... maybe you play as seth who thinks he's hallucinating laugh.gif...
TreeFitty
But Seth looks like a zombie himself. So then they wouldn't attack him. mellow.gif
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE (Massacre @ May 29 2010, 08:40 PM) *
Ahem.

"Work, ya damn nag!"

You know, I know this is an old post, but I'd just like to say this:
I don't hear that.
Everyone says that's what Jack says, I hear him say "Work it there nag!".
Yet everyone keeps quoting him as saying "Work ys damn nag."
I know I quoted this post and said that myself, but it was because I didn't really know what he was saying.

but... we already know that none of the add-ons will be new stories... they're all multiplayer additions... however, i do think the zombie add-on might come with a few missions though... maybe you play as seth who thinks he's hallucinating

So these DLC packs are the only ones they're going to release? What the hell....they could totally expand on Jacks story. Maybe take him to France.
Massacre
He might say that too. Last time I played, Jack took to saying "C'mon, ya dumb nag, work!" in addition to "Work, ya damn nag!" Apparently he has a lot of lines that don't come up regularly.
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE (Massacre @ Jul 29 2010, 11:35 AM) *
He might say that too. Last time I played, Jack took to saying "C'mon, ya dumb nag, work!" in addition to "Work, ya damn nag!" Apparently he has a lot of lines that don't come up regularly.

See I've heard him say "C'mon you dumn nag, work!", but the other one, maybe he does say it, I know I just hear "Work it there, nag". Like the guy in Dances with Wolves said.(no, I'm not gay.)
Massacre
Dances with Wolves isn't gay. Kevin Costner is the shit. He was awesome in 3000 Miles to Graceland.
bOnEs
that's a totally different movie but, 3000 miles to graceland was badass...
TwoFacedTanner
Wait, what do you mean that was a totally different movie?
Massacre
He wasn't defending natives in 3000 Miles to Graceland? I dunno.
PabloHoneyOle
Waterworld was the greatest movie EVER.
bOnEs
QUOTE (Massacre @ Jul 29 2010, 10:53 PM) *
He wasn't defending natives in 3000 Miles to Graceland? I dunno.

^that... he was only looking out for #1...
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Jul 30 2010, 06:20 AM) *
Waterworld was the greatest movie EVER.

wait...why...what...?
Massacre
Because he's joking, that's why.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.