Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't quite understand how Duels work.
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Red Dead Series > Red Dead Redemption
Crimson Engage
I'v finished the game and have been in many duels. I usually win all of the duels but i still don't understand how it works. There is this one guy who wears a green shirt, has a hat on and wears gloves who is usually in Armadillo and i can NEVER beat him.

I draw and completely paint him with markers and he fires once and i die. If i place 1 marker on him he still wins. What am i supposed to do? How do i force my weapon to fire?
TreeFitty
Can you shoot his gun? mellow.gif Or when you paint targets, do you put them in the best spots (his head for example)?
Crimson Engage
Yea. i'v tried every thing. Including just tagging his torso with crosses, just his head, just his hand, even hand, head and torso. The guy never loses...
bOnEs
you have to probably let him win the "draw first" thing, then paint your targets... but, make sure you pull the trigger button as soon as your done painting targets... if you can shoot before him, you win...
Indy
Draw the gun using the analog stick.
ViceMan
I always leave it right till the last second until I draw, and by then they haven't even half filled their meter.
PabloHoneyOle
I must have been pretty baked when I went through the duel tutorial, I really have no idea how to do it. I won my first duel by disarming the guy, but when I was called out for cheating in a card game, I was slaughtered. I had no idea what to do. Anyone want to walk me through the process in 360 terms, I'd appreciate it...
Kuwong
I normally just press lt to draw, move the right stick and hit rt (I think) a ton to paint them, then i think it auto fires.

sometimes it's done fuck all for me though and not fired, so I'm unsure. The tutorial wasn't much help and you cant play it again. There's times where i painted a target completely and Marston just didn't fire.
istealkegs
im the same man. I do not understand how it works either. I would like to know tho, because I am tired of getting beat.
ViceMan
When it says draw you press L2 to draw then move your target and press R2 to place shots, once the meter's filled (assuming yours is filled before theirs) you fire and annihilate them with several headshots, at least I always do. happy.gif
bOnEs
don't hesitate to fire early... after you paint the targets, press the fire button immediately... i've fired my gun after painting the targets and won the the duel because i beat him to the punch, and my shots landed in deadly spots... if you fail to press the fire button, you might fail the duel... the only ones you probably won't fail are duels against weak opponents...

don't just assume the system will automatically shoot for you... you have to be quicker than your opponent so, use all the tools to your advantage...
Chicago51
The key to winning duels is timing. Soon as you start the duel push the left stick down to move your hand a little closer to your gun. When your opponent yells draw either hit the left trigger or push up on the left stick(which ever you prefer) to draw your gun. When painting targets, mark them when the crosshairs turn white. If you can fill up your bar (the blue one) before your opponent, you win.

Also if you can manage to disarm your opponent without killing him by targeting his gun, you'll get an honor bonus.
coreyko_2003
Yeah I've won a few..........but due to sheer luck....I don't tend to win anymore........hence why I dont bother with them...........I dont get how to fire the fuckin thing.
Chicago51
QUOTE (KoreyKo @ Jun 4 2010, 02:42 PM) *
Yeah I've won a few..........but due to sheer luck....I don't tend to win anymore........hence why I dont bother with them...........I dont get how to fire the fuckin thing.

Once you mark enough targets and your bar fills, you fire automatically. I'm not too sure how to fire earlier though.
ViceMan
Well yes, I for one would like to fire with only one shot, it doesn't take 6 shots to the face to kill someone, so why waste those 5 extra bullets? Plus it'd make us look less of a noob, still shooting at him as he crumples and hits the deck with half of his head missing.
Chicago51
i know you can disarm them with 1 or 2 shots, but i'll have to wait til i get home to check it out.
ViceMan
I think every duel i've done i've had to place at least 6 shots, and I always aim straight for the face, except for the side mission where you have to disarm him.
PabloHoneyOle
I've gotten great at duels, but yes, mine usually involve 6 shots to the face. I really don't mind though. Think of it as a lesson in brutality.

I also shot someone in the nuts 6+ times.
asthenia
I'd like to duel with the Buffalo rifle.... Guy's gonna die anyway, why not do die in style?
-Toge-
Duels are ridiculously easy to win, how are some of you strugling?
coreyko_2003
QUOTE (-Toge- @ Jun 9 2010, 04:29 PM) *
Duels are ridiculously easy to win, how are some of you strugling?

Not figuring out when/how to fire
ViceMan
Well you either wait until it says "DRAW" which is when your opponent does, or you can do it before that as the camera zooms in behind you, the longer you leave it the bigger the target you'll have to aim at.
coreyko_2003
^ Yeah, well after you paint the targets (which sometimes THAT is what i dont get as well) what button do you use to fire?
ViceMan
You don't, you just fill the meter and when the time expires whoever's meter is filled the most wins.
Psy
Just move the cursor over their gun or their head and keep mashing the paint target button and you'll win nearly every time.
DiO
Easiest way to win is put a mark on their arm. Your meter will fill up all the way and the aiming still stop once you do and you will disarm them before they get a shot off. They don't die and you get a lot of honour for doing it.
ViceMan
QUOTE (DiOtard @ Jun 11 2010, 05:01 PM) *
Easiest way to win is put a mark on their arm. Your meter will fill up all the way and the aiming still stop once you do and you will disarm them before they get a shot off. They don't die and you get a lot of honour for doing it.

I'm not about honour, they challenged me to a duel, they knew the risks, they die.
Chicago51
Ya don't even get honor anymore. Ya get +100 fame now. They must have adjusted it in the update.
ViceMan
I thought all duel wins gave you fame, you only got the honour for disarming them and keeping them alive.
bOnEs
if your playing the game as a good guy, you get positive honor for killing someone in a duel because, the character you shot is usually a criminal anyways... killing one as an evil guy give you nothing i believe...

don't quote me on that but, it sounds logical to me...
Chicago51
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jun 14 2010, 06:22 PM) *
I thought all duel wins gave you fame, you only got the honour for disarming them and keeping them alive.

Yeah that's the way it did work. But I tried it since the update while not wearing a bandana disarmed him and only got the fame bonus. Now that was for cheating at poker. I still have to try it in the street challenge duels.
DiO
QUOTE (Chicago51 @ Jun 15 2010, 06:37 AM) *
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jun 14 2010, 06:22 PM) *

Yeah that's the way it did work. But I tried it since the update while not wearing a bandana disarmed him and only got the fame bonus. Now that was for cheating at poker. I still have to try it in the street challenge duels.

No. Cheating at poker duels don't change honour. I tried that.

And I found this before my honour stopped going up altogether.
coreyko_2003
I think I FINALLY got the idea on how to do duels........after doing the mission Lucky in Love or w/e its called sleep.gif

EDIT

I take that back.........I THOUGHT I knew.....but now after a couple duels, I still suck at it....therefore.....I turn down duels and then fight the guy....get him out of town and THEN shoot him =D.......Sure, it takes away from some honour but w/e....at least I kill him.
Chicago51
Tried again last night. I got +10 honor for 1 disarm and +20 for another.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (Psy @ Jun 11 2010, 05:37 AM) *
Just move the cursor over their gun or their head nutsack and keep mashing the paint target button and you'll win nearly every time.

Fixed.
Indy
Draw the gun straight away and fire as late as you can at the head with as few bullets, don't mash the shoot key!
Chicago51
QUOTE (Indy @ Jun 17 2010, 12:35 AM) *
Draw the gun straight away and fire as late as you can at the head with as few bullets, don't mash the shoot key!

It's not always best to draw right away. The longer you leave it before you draw the closer it will zoom into your target and make them easier to aim.
ViceMan
QUOTE (Chicago51 @ Jun 18 2010, 01:31 PM) *
QUOTE (Indy @ Jun 17 2010, 12:35 AM) *

It's not always best to draw right away. The longer you leave it before you draw the closer it will zoom into your target and make them easier to aim.

Yeah but a lot of people don't even know you can draw before the message appears. Earlier in the game I always waited for the draw sign myself, but I knew you could do so before then, it's just that I was playing my "good guy with lightning fast reflexes who can outdraw anyone" game. Now sometimes I don't wait.
Indy
Okay, i've figured out duels completely.

The earlier you draw the farther out zoomed you are. I personally recommend drawing when they say, so then you can place your shots more accurately. You'll see why below.
As you go to aim you will notice that the cursor almost flashes. What the cursor is actually doing is zooming in over and over again. The aim is to press the shoot button when the cursor is at its smallest, the smaller the cursor when you shoot, the greater your bar fills up. Place your shots anywhere, it is irrelevant, unless you're trying to disarm. You will probably have to move the cursor to different parts of the body because it becomes difficult to see it zoom in and out. Therefore, the later you draw, the easier it is to hit the target whilst moving the cursor to more visible areas.
There is a time limit on the duel, the person with the largest bar after the time limit wins.
ViceMan
QUOTE (Indy @ Jun 20 2010, 01:48 PM) *
Okay, i've figured out duels completely.

The earlier you draw the farther out zoomed you are. I personally recommend drawing when they say, so then you can place your shots more accurately. You'll see why below.
As you go to aim you will notice that the cursor almost flashes. What the cursor is actually doing is zooming in over and over again. The aim is to press the shoot button when the cursor is at its smallest, the smaller the cursor when you shoot, the greater your bar fills up. Place your shots anywhere, it is irrelevant, unless you're trying to disarm. You will probably have to move the cursor to different parts of the body because it becomes difficult to see it zoom in and out. Therefore, the later you draw, the easier it is to hit the target whilst moving the cursor to more visible areas.
There is a time limit on the duel, the person with the largest bar after the time limit wins.

Well yeah, I thought that ws obvious.
TreeFitty
If you guys can confirm or agree on how duels work and the best way to do them, someone submit a guide. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.