Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: controls
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Red Dead Series > Red Dead Redemption
andy42s
WTF is up with them? I was hoping they would mimmic GTA. I don't know how many times I've missed an animal because the instant I needed to pull the trigger I pushed the button and nothing happened. R2 is extremely unnatural to fire with. On the pause menu I found a "controls" option, but no way to change them. All it does is show me that they set them up wrong. If I ever get used to these controls, then feel like playing GTA, it will start all over again. Also changing weapons is overly complicated. I shouldn't have to use 2 different buttons at the same time to change a weapon. Controlling the horse's speed is retarded too. Especially if you want to slow down a little. All I have to say is that I'm pretty fuckin pissed that they delayed the game for 7 months, and it's this difficult to control shit. angry.gif Is there any way to change the controls?
Kuwong
R2 was used to fire your guns in GTA IV, as was L2 I recall. You also use R2 to accelerate, etc. Really it makes perfect sense. It's not hard to adjust to different control schemes between games, I do it so easily.

You people get upset too easily, give it a day and you'l get used to the controls, or at least spend some time learning them, don't just rush off ready to find and do everything.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (Kuwong @ May 19 2010, 08:24 AM) *
You people get upset too easily, give it a day and you'l get used to the controls, or at least spend some time learning them, don't just rush off ready to find and do everything.

Very well put.

I'm glad the controls aren't EXACTLY like GTA. That would be lame and lazy. The controls are very unique and do take a little getting used to. That's why the first half dozen missions are really focusing on getting used to the new control scheme. I figure it'll be a few days until I stop whipping out my gun and scaring the shit out of everyone in town when I'm trying to jump or something. Soon, this will be second nature to me.
JamieMilne
yeah R2 was fire, in gta iv lol. so i dont know what everybodys complaining about, ( everybody as in ive read this on a few fourms now lol ) .
bOnEs
i'm already an expert horse rider and hunter, all it takes is a couple of days and you'll be good at it... same goes for the other controls...
Hardcore Ottoman
For the longest time I didn't use Dead Eye just so I could get better at shooting when mounted. Worked out pretty well. I have the aiming on expert too so I don't depend on auto-aiming at all. All preparing for some strict online multiplayer.
BAMF
QUOTE (andy42s @ May 19 2010, 07:05 AM) *
WTF is up with them? I was hoping they would mimmic GTA. I don't know how many times I've missed an animal because the instant I needed to pull the trigger I pushed the button and nothing happened. R2 is extremely unnatural to fire with. On the pause menu I found a "controls" option, but no way to change them. All it does is show me that they set them up wrong. If I ever get used to these controls, then feel like playing GTA, it will start all over again. Also changing weapons is overly complicated. I shouldn't have to use 2 different buttons at the same time to change a weapon. Controlling the horse's speed is retarded too. Especially if you want to slow down a little. All I have to say is that I'm pretty fuckin pissed that they delayed the game for 7 months, and it's this difficult to control shit. angry.gif Is there any way to change the controls?

Getting used to controller schemes when bouncing from game to game is a BIG problem and I agree that nothing is more frustrating than failing at a challenge only because you have the buttons wrong. I had trouble helping Nigel in his sales pitch because I hadn't learned that I had to lock on to a guy before I could punch the hell out of him. But, any way, I agree with the others who are encouraging you to simply make the adjustment and move on. Me, I'm sticking with RDR for a while, cause switching up games causes too much "controller dissonance".
andy42s
QUOTE (JamieMilne @ May 19 2010, 06:57 AM) *
yeah R2 was fire, in gta iv lol. so i dont know what everybodys complaining about, ( everybody as in ive read this on a few fourms now lol ) .

R1 is fire for me on GTA, because you can actually change them on that game. I'm getting used to them now, but I still think they are retarded. Since I've aquired another rifle, it now can take pushing 3 fucking buttons at the same time to change weapons. Not very cool when I'm getting shot at.
Kuwong
Well suck it up and learn to like the control scheme used by millions of people who own both games.
Indy
Would've been good if the speed your horse was travelling at was maintained when you went into aiming mode.
asthenia
The game isn't retarded, you are. Why does everyone bitch about games having different control schemes?

Protip; stop playing games. Go outside and bitch about 2 different blades of grass being different shades of same colour, and how retarded it is. That way we don't have to read your drivel.
BAMF
QUOTE (Asthenia @ May 22 2010, 06:47 AM) *
The game isn't retarded, you are. Why does everyone bitch about games having different control schemes?

Protip; stop playing games. Go outside and bitch about 2 different blades of grass being different shades of same colour, and how retarded it is. That way we don't have to read your drivel.

Well said again, you pirate motha-fucka! I know it is a bit ironic to talk about how "intuitive" the use of a standard controller is relative to a given game world but I'm very interested to see how R*, and other developers for that matter, think up new ways of adapting control mechanics to the unique activities in each game. Again, horses are not cars so we should expect a fresh approach to controlling them.

Speaking of which, yesterday I finally got serious about learning how to toss horse shoes. No ringers yet but at least I can win a game here and there!
asthenia
QUOTE (BAMF @ May 22 2010, 01:35 PM) *
QUOTE (Asthenia @ May 22 2010, 06:47 AM) *

Well said again, you pirate motha-fucka! I know it is a bit ironic to talk about how "intuitive" the use of a standard controller is relative to a given game world but I'm very interested to see how R*, and other developers for that matter, think up new ways of adapting control mechanics to the unique activities in each game. Again, horses are not cars so we should expect a fresh approach to controlling them.

Speaking of which, yesterday I finally got serious about learning how to toss horse shoes. No ringers yet but at least I can win a game here and there!

Also well said... I like this little thing we've got going on. wink.gif
trathen93
doesnt mean much to me. i constantly switch between MW2, Bad company 2, GTA and midnight club. every one has different controls and it makes no difference to me. it takes a minute to adjust and then im fine. i dont personally think the controls should mimic gta, because its not GTA
asthenia
QUOTE (El-Nino @ May 22 2010, 11:19 PM) *
doesnt mean much to me. i constantly switch between MW2, Bad company 2, GTA and midnight club. every one has different controls and it makes no difference to me. it takes a minute to adjust and then im fine. i dont personally think the controls should mimic gta, because its not GTA

notworthy.gif Ladies and Fine Gentlemen, I present to you a gamer.....
Kuwong
my one gripe with the controls is horse back fighting. You have to hold left trigger (L2) to aim, left stick to steer, thats easy. Then with your right hand you have to tap A (X) with thumb or first finger to keep the horse moving, right analogue stick to aim and pull right trigger (R2) with any free fingers you've got around the trigger. Such a pain, but you adapt to find a happy medium with horse fighting.
Hardcore Ottoman
^I'm totally pretty good at that. I like how your horse will actually follow the road partly. Helps a lot.
bOnEs
QUOTE (Kuwong @ May 22 2010, 06:24 PM) *
my one gripe with the controls is horse back fighting. You have to hold left trigger (L2) to aim, left stick to steer, thats easy. Then with your right hand you have to tap A (X) with thumb or first finger to keep the horse moving, right analogue stick to aim and pull right trigger (R2) with any free fingers you've got around the trigger. Such a pain, but you adapt to find a happy medium with horse fighting.

pssht... that's nothing if you've ever played "heavy rain" laugh.gif... the controls get twice as hard sometimes...
asthenia
He has. wink.gif
andy42s
obviously none of the developers of this game have ever shot an actual firearm, nor have any of you. No one squeezes the trigger with thier middle finger (which rests on the R2). It's only natural for me to use my index finger to fire weapons, which is on the fucking R1!
TreeFitty
You're using a game controller. Not an actual firearm.
Kuwong
QUOTE (andy42s @ May 23 2010, 10:51 PM) *
obviously none of the developers of this game have ever shot an actual firearm, nor have any of you. No one squeezes the trigger with thier middle finger (which rests on the R2). It's only natural for me to use my index finger to fire weapons, which is on the fucking R1!

I don't know about you, but my fingers move so I can use my index finger for both RB and RT (R1 and R2). It's easy, stop complaining you pussy.
asthenia
TreeFitty and Kuwong beat me to it.. you're a fucking idiot. Sorry for the flaming, mods.
istealkegs
am I the only one who finds the weapon select an IMPROVEMENT over GTA?
asthenia
Oh and could I just add, I have used a fire arm...

Here's my penis, suck it. If you wanna shoot guns, stop playing games and go shoot guns.

-edit- istealkegs, from what I've heard it's sounding more and more like I'll agree with you... have to wait until I've played the game for sure, but alot of people seem to prefer it.
Indy
Yeah I've always preferred this way of weapon selection. Better than the D-Pad selection system too.
bOnEs
the only problem is a lot of games pause the game when you open the weapon wheel... this one does not... and sometimes i do it too fast and it doesn't select the weapon i want... i've killed a few thief's by shooting them when i thought i equipped the lasso mad.gif...

i do like this system better than GTA IV but, GTA IV wasn't that bad once you knew where the weapons were... once you knew you were a few guns away from the MP5, you could just press left three times and bring it up faster than you can with the weapon wheel... and the wheel is kind of tricky to mess with when your on horseback in the middle of a shotout...
andy42s
QUOTE (Asthenia @ May 24 2010, 12:48 PM) *
TreeFitty and Kuwong beat me to it.. you're a fucking idiot. Sorry for the flaming, mods.

why don't you go drink some tea you limey fuck
asthenia
That all you've got?
PabloHoneyOle
Take that, British person!

Really, that was fucking weak. I hope this guy doesn't last long as a member. Got to have better material if you're going to stick around. Also, use some grammar and shit when making posts. Actually, just quit posting altogether.
Kuwong
QUOTE (andy42s @ May 25 2010, 12:53 PM) *
QUOTE (Asthenia @ May 24 2010, 12:48 PM) *

why don't you go drink some tea you limey fuck

Good idea actually, I'm dying for a brew! Could have some crumpets with it too why not!
Hardcore Ottoman
What an asshole. Tea is awesome.
asthenia
Tea is awesome. No other drink can chill me the fuck out as fast as Tea.

Don't forget the Scones, Winston, you limey fuck!
bOnEs
an ice cold beer calms me down...
Kuwong
QUOTE (Asthenia @ May 25 2010, 05:12 PM) *

Quite. I never got Americans assuming we always have crumpets with tea, when crumpets are mainly taken with tea during the breakfast period, but rarely afterwards. Crumpets are not as delicious as a slice of cake is with a cup of Earl Grey.

Then again, when ever an American makes an assumption they make an ass out of you and me!
PabloHoneyOle
I'll drink the fuck out of some iced tea.
asthenia
bOnEs - When I'm out or just wanna get smashed & chill out at the same time.. beer it is.

QUOTE (Kuwong @ May 25 2010, 05:34 PM) *
QUOTE (Asthenia @ May 25 2010, 05:12 PM) *

Quite. I never got Americans assuming we always have crumpets with tea, when crumpets are mainly taken with tea during the breakfast period, but rarely afterwards. Crumpets are not as delicious as a slice of cake is with a cup of Earl Grey.

Then again, when ever an American makes an assumption they make an ass out of you and me!

Not to mention Crumpets are considered winter-foods.

QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ May 25 2010, 05:43 PM) *
I'll drink the fuck out of some iced tea.

Mmmmmmm. Iced tea is fucking beautiful.
Kuwong
I've gone off iced tea when I realised it tastes shit without sugar.

now onto RDR discussions. I bet John Marston fucking loves a cup of tea. In all the saloons they serve him a cup of tea and don't say shit.
asthenia
I bet you have to press R2 to make them serve a cup of tea though, HOW FUCKING FUCKED UP IS THAT?!?!?!?
Kuwong
Yeah man, pressing R2 with your thumb, which naturally sits on the R2 button is just awful because I have to move it or something!
asthenia
Yeah, and what about when you have to pause the game ... I can't move my tounge from the Square button!!!
TreeFitty
QUOTE (OptimumPx @ May 25 2010, 03:04 PM) *
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.