Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Comic Books
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > Entertainment
Heartless
Anyone here read them? (read period?) What do you read? Favorite books? Favorite characters? What's the skinny, true believers?
DuPz0r
At the moment i'm reading Sky Pirates of Neo Terra by Sean Megaw. There is 5 issues that i know of.

I also love Tyrese Gibson's: Mayhem!
Massacre
*wonders if this topic will last longer than the other ones*

As far as Marvel goes, I read Punisher, Deadpool (all four ongoing series, yeah, I'm a dork), Thunderbolts, anything with Bullseye, and I'm reading what's left of the Dark Avengers. I also just started reading the Wasteland and Northlanders paperbacks, which are published by Oni Press and Vertigo (DC). I read The Walking Dead (Image), but I only read them in paperback, so I'm always waiting five months at a time for the next one.

I read Gears of War, too, but those fuckers take their sweet time releasing each issue.
Heartless
QUOTE (Massacre @ May 13 2010, 12:33 PM) *
*wonders if this topic will last longer than the other ones*

As far as Marvel goes, I read Punisher, Deadpool (all four ongoing series, yeah, I'm a dork), Thunderbolts, anything with Bullseye, and I'm reading what's left of the Dark Avengers. I also just started reading the Wasteland and Northlanders paperbacks, which are published by Oni Press and Vertigo (DC). I read The Walking Dead (Image), but I only read them in paperback, so I'm always waiting five months at a time for the next one.

I read Gears of War, too, but those fuckers take their sweet time releasing each issue.

I didn't like the Punisher MAX reboot. It was visceral and edgy, in a 15 year old sense, but ultimately I felt it was a pale follow-up to that guy who took over for Ennis. They are going to have Bullseye show up, which adds to the retardness, since he can't miss and Frank can't die. Ho-hum. Deadpool needs a MAX version, dammit.

I've seen Wasteland on the shelves. Is it any good?
Massacre
I'm not too far in, but so far it's pretty good. The paperbacks are only about $12 rather than $15, so that's an added bonus.
Heartless
Not sure who played the Ultimate Alliance games, but it's basically a nerdiest mash up of the Marvel Universe. Who do you want to see, if/when they make an Ultimate Alliance 3?

Adam X

A super brawler, half human, half alien. He'd be a lot of fun to play as, with his enhanced strength, speed and senses. Plus, he has some cool weapons.

A-Bomb

I'd like Rick Jones to return as a Hero. A cool animation would be to have him transform when you select him. Some alternate costumes would give you Teenage Hulk, Rick Jones himself, etc.

Aftershock

It's Electroshocks daughter. A fair addition to jazz things up a notch.

Araña

She's also a cool, new character, with a weird combination of spider powers and an exoskeleton.

Atlas

A character that can get big. Who wouldn't want to play as that?

Massacre
I'd like a situation where the heroes are temporarily gone and the villains have to save the world from a greater evil, just so I can have an all-villain cast.

Doctor Octopus

Bullseye

Rhino

Sandman (He would be Mecha Godzilla fun to play as.)

Sabretooth

Daken (gotta have a Wolverine character)

Venom and Carnage again

Apocalypse, although he's too powerful to actually make playable.

Iron Patriot (For those of use who missed Dark Reign, that's Norman Osborne in repainted Iron Man armor.)

Black Tom Cassidy

Loki

The Hood

Ghost

Nuke (with alternate Scourge costume)

Some Iron Man villain; Iron Monger, Whiplash, Crimson Dynamo, etc.

The Wrecking Crew

I'll probably come up with some more later.
Heartless
In that case, I want Red Skull, Baron Strucker, Blood Axe and the Abomination in my team.
Massacre
Red Skull, I knew I forgot an important one.
Heartless
Kraven the Hunter, Mysterio (with Zombie alt, Natch'), the Juggernaut, and Sabertooth.

Carnage, Venom, Hobgoblin, Green Goblin,
Massacre
I would like some of the heroes in their Marvel Zombies forms. Spider-Man, Hulk, and Ash from the Army of Darkness crossover. Now that would be a good character.
Heartless
HULK HUNGRIEST OF ALL!!!!!!

Oh man. Actually, junk Carnage and Venom. I'd like to see a feature to make up your own combos of who wears the suits. And, who's a Horseman of Apocalypse. That would be epic.
Massacre
Wolverine with symbiote was badass. They should've kept that for a while. And I've been toying with different Horsemen for a while now, it's jolly good fun.
Heartless
Carnage + Punisher (Death), Omega Red (Pestilence), Sabertooth (War), Maggot (Famine). My pick.

OH, AWESOME NEWS! Hugo Weaving is gonna play FUCKING Red Skull. I just nerded myself. Harder then when I found out Anthony Hopkins is gonna be FUCKING Odin. Still, the main characters are all douche bags though.
Massacre
Pestilence - Beast (Dark Beast, from AoA. Picture him with mange.), Famine - Blob with symbiote (trust me), Death - Doctor Strange (No, think about it.), and I'm never sure who to use as Death.
Heartless
Here's a real brain teaser. Draw from the DC stable and make a Horsemen cast.
Massacre
Okay, here goes:

Death - Batman (Break your one rule, fucker!)

War - Superman's the obvious choice here, but I'm going to go the opposite route and bring back Doomsday.

Pestilence - Brainiac (think techno-plague)

Famine - ... I'm going to say Parasite.
Heartless
Original Batman killed lots of people.

Massacre
I wonder if they make paperbacks of the original Batman comics.
Heartless
I think I have one around here where he uses a sniper rifle.
Massacre
Think how much better comics would be today if the Comics Code hadn't been implemented back then.
Heartless
QUOTE (Massacre @ May 15 2010, 01:11 AM) *
Think how much better comics would be today if the Comics Code hadn't been implemented back then.

I really liked what they did with Miss America when they brought her briefly back as a racist.
starjay102

Must-Read Comic Classics

These essential graphic novels are must-reads for anyone interested in the medium. I would recommend them to anyone who wants to understand what comics can do. This list doesn’t include manga; my recommendations there can be found on my list of suggested manga starting points.

You may also want to see my years’ best recommendations:

* Best Graphic Novels of 2006
* Best Graphic Novels of 2007
* Favorite Manga of 2007
* Best Graphic Novels of 2008
* Best Manga of 2008
* Best Manga of 2009
* Best Graphic Novels of 2009

Age of Bronze: A Thousand Ships | Eric Shanower’s gorgeous retelling of the Trojan War.

Castle Waiting | Linda Medley’s expertly illustrated take on a fairy tale community.

The Complete Peanuts | Collections of the most important American comic strip.

Finder | An aboriginal science fiction series by Carla Speed McNeil.

From Hell | Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell explore the Jack the Ripper mystery.

Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic | Alison Bechdel’s memoir of her childhood, focusing on her father’s life in the closet.

Hicksville | Dylan Horrocks creates a town where everyone reads comics in order to show how the medium’s unexplored potential can break your heart.

Locas and Palomar | Massive collections of the Brothers Hernandez’ Love and Rockets stories capturing Hispanic life in California with a punk mentality.

Maus: A Survivor’s Tale : My Father Bleeds History/Here My Troubles Began | The Pulitzer Prize-winning Holocaust biography by Art Spiegelman.

Persepolis | Marjane Satrapi’s story of her childhood in Iran.

The Plastic Man Archives | Wonderfully funny and inventive tales of the stretchy superhero by Jack Cole.

The Sandman | A modern fantasy classic written by Neil Gaiman.

The Spirit Archives | Will Eisner establishes a graphic language all his own in this collection of short crime stories with wide-ranging subjects.

Stuck Rubber Baby | Howard Cruse’s semi-autobiographical story of a man coming to terms with his homosexuality during the civil rights movement of the 1960s.

The Tale of One Bad Rat | A thoughtful and powerful exploration of an abused girl’s trip to reclaim her life by Bryan Talbot.

Understanding Comics | Scott McCloud explains how the medium works — a must-read!

Watchmen | Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons deconstruct the superhero.

Why I Hate Saturn | Everyday urban life takes a fantastic turn in this tale by Kyle Baker.

For another take, see Paul Gravett’s Graphic Novels: Everything You Need to Know, a coffee table-style book about his list of the best reads.
Search:

Heartless
First on topic bot, ever.
TreeFitty
well, that other one posted about asylums in the asylum... unsure.gif
DuPz0r
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Jul 2 2010, 08:02 AM) *
well, that other one posted about asylums in the asylum... unsure.gif

Rofl, what a joke. Bots do make me laugh.

I got my hands on a Haunt issue 1 Collectors edition from a £1 grab bag!

The actual cover is slightly different. Better imo. It was a good read btw smile.gif
Massacre
That dude looks like Venom on meth. That's all I can say on the subject becasue The Walking Dead is the only Image comic I read.
Heartless
Less teeth.
DuPz0r
QUOTE (Massacre @ Jul 3 2010, 11:18 PM) *
That dude looks like Venom on meth. That's all I can say on the subject becasue The Walking Dead is the only Image comic I read.

It's true, but this comic is better than any spider man comic I've read. (quite a few)
Massacre
Spider-Man kinda sucks, too much Peter Parker bullshit, not enough action. Read the five-issue Sinister Spider-Man miniseries (Venom posing as Spider-Man), it's good times. Best Venom ever.
DuPz0r
Ubisoft are working as "Ubiworkshop" making an Assassin's creed comic series, which will be out in or stores soon! smile.gif It's is set in a different time period to the games. And is set in Russia/Siberia. Sounds fun. I might have to pick up the first issue.

Pic:

Dunno why, but this picture looks more shogun assassin than Russian soviet :S

Teaser video:

Here is the video they released for advertising.
Massacre
There was a rumor that Assassin's Creed III would be set in feudal Japan, and now the comic set in Russia has a Japanese theme. Interesting.

Also, while I don't really like steampunk, that arm is badass.
DuPz0r

The Assassin's Creed comic project revealed last month now has an official release date. WildStorm's Assassin's Creed: The Fall will land in a pile of hay on store shelves starting November 10, just a few days before the retail debut of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. The Fall takes place in late 19th century Russia and follows the exploits of the assassin Nikolai Orelov as he seeks to snatch "an artifact of immense power" from the Templars. It also promises a "climactic and violent showdown with the ruthless Tsar Alexander III aboard a speeding train!" Exciting!

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/17/assassin...shelves-nov-10/
Massacre
Awesome.
DuPz0r
Tsar sounds good. I wonder if you get to stop a hydrogen bomb from going ahead...
Massacre
Yeah, but you have to sneak up and stab it.
DuPz0r
Rofl. I like the fact we said You get to/have to, as if is was a game and we actually got to do those things!
Massacre
It's hard to keep it straight sometimes. I talk about the Gears of War comic in first person a lot.
Jáger
I used to collect Spiderman comics when I was around 14-15, forget which one it was (Amazing, Astonishing, etc) but I'll have to try and find 'em out. I had quite a few of them and would be interesting to read. The last comic book I read was Kick-Ass, which is more of a graphic novel, but still counts, lawlz.
Massacre
Amazing, Spectacular, Web of, and Peter Parker are all Spider-Man sub-headings. Astonishing was X-Men.

Do you like zombies? The Walking Dead just came out with it's 12th book. Give it a read.
Jáger
Yeah, I think it was Spectacular. A quick Google search tells me that Astonishing Spiderman (there is one) is made by Panini for little kids. So maybe it was that one? Iunno.

And who doesn't like zombies? I've seen the quite a few Marvel Zombie books in Waterstones and have been tempted on many an occasion to pick them up. I might do that this week.
Massacre
Marvel Zombies is great. They've done like five miniseries now.
Massacre
Fucking watch this shit NOW. Walking Dead trailer. Show premieres on Halloween night.

WATCH IT.
Jáger
That reminds me a lot of 28 Days Later, which is no bad thing. It looks pretty awesome, may have to watch that.
DuPz0r
I was in a book store today looking through the graphic novels, and i had a quick look at the walking dead actually. There was about 12 books. I really liked the look of them. I might have to go in and pick up a couple of them, start the collection.

Is this the video you linked, because i couldnt get that video to work.

I'm really looking forward to this. I've not seen a zombie series before, i think this will be a lot of fun to watch.
DuPz0r
Assassin's Creed: The Fall comic #2 - out now
Lest you haven't been keeping up, The Fall tells the story of mustachioed assassin Nikolai Orelov, who operates during the Russian revolution. Look out -- he'll stab you right in your warm, furry hat.
Massacre
Yeah, issue 1 wasn't bad. This will be a pretty decent miniseries.
DuPz0r
inFamous Comic

Developer Sucker Punch and DC Comics are teaming up for an inFamous comic book that will bridge protagonist Cole McGrath's story from the first game to the sequel. The book will be written by William Harms, illustrated by Eric Nguyen, and will span six issues.

Apparently they're developing a comic series to bridge the gap between the two games...
Massacre
That's awesome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.