Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Built In Forum Chat - Feedback
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Important Information > Website & Forum Problems & Discussion
Psy
I've just had an email from a guy at Comet Chat, a company who make a facebook chat style add on for IPB which I presume allows you to chat with people who are online on the forum in real time. It's only $50 so I'm thinking of getting it, but I was just wondering if you guys thought it was something worth using. It could also be put on the main website too I think.

Check out their website http://www.cometchat.com/ and let me know if you think it's something worth having.
PabloHoneyOle
It wouldn't be bad.

Might decrease some of the meaningless banter that our forums have become and then kill the forums.
demon
I think that a chatbox will draw away attention from the forum and I believe the forum is slow enough as it is now. I hate to sound this negative but I think it would not be worth it even if the guy payed you $50 to install it.
Most people have Yahoo or MSN anyway.
DuPz0r
I don't tend to use chat much, i prefer looking at threads. Call me old fashioned, but I agree it wont get used as much as the forum.
TreeFitty
I don't see it being very useful either. We have PM's and no one uses the chat we already have. It gets old.
Psy
Ithink this one would be different though. It's a bar along the bottom of the screen, which features games and a live chat room with everyone on the site... I use facebook chat when I could send people messages or wall posts, so I could see it being used, but I agree with not paying that much for it. Maybe we could trial a free alternative or something.
Marney1
I'm using something very similar but it only allows 1-on-1 chat with another member although you can open several windows - one for each member you're talking to - and it's always being used. Does this one allow several members to chat 'together' rather than 1-on-1?
Darth Sexy
If it allows members to chat together, while still on the forum I think it'd be pretty cool. 1 on 1 probably wouldn't be so useful.
Qdeathstar
I'd much rather get the forums working correctly. Its really annoying to have to post before the quotes.

Besides, we've had IRC java chat which is just about the same thing as this and it wasn't that great. Personally, i'd rather make a topic than use some chatterbox. Buy your mum some nices flowers instead, Psy... Mothers day is comming soon.
QUOTE (Psy @ May 7 2010, 01:53 PM) *
I've just had an email from a guy at Comet Chat, a company who make a facebook chat style add on for IPB which I presume allows you to chat with people who are online on the forum in real time. It's only $50 so I'm thinking of getting it, but I was just wondering if you guys thought it was something worth using. It could also be put on the main website too I think.

Check out their website http://www.cometchat.com/ and let me know if you think it's something worth having.
ENVi3
i remember the IRC Chat a few years ago.
i don't think it was anything useful really. unless you wanted to hear Psycho sing karaoke, lol.

and also I agree with QD about the Full Reply not working with Firefox thing.
Heartless
It sounds better then what we have now.
demon
QUOTE (Psy @ May 8 2010, 05:07 AM) *
Ithink this one would be different though. It's a bar along the bottom of the screen, which features games and a live chat room with everyone on the site... I use facebook chat when I could send people messages or wall posts, so I could see it being used, but I agree with not paying that much for it. Maybe we could trial a free alternative or something.

Is this a bar that will appear on every forum page? I don't want the pages to get heavier and slower which is inevitable if more JS is added. I hope it will be possible to disable it in the user CP.
DuffMan
Unless there's an option in the controls to deactivate it completely - i.e. so the bar doesn't load anymore, not just set me as offline - I'm going to say no. These things always make the page take longer to load, and scrolling becomes jerky. We have enough ways to communicate off the forums if we really need to - which I haven't for at least two or three years now, with exception of a few of the staff on MSN. I'm getting bored of websites taking social/Web 2.0 features and applying them where they aren't necessary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.