Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Critters of the West
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Red Dead Series > Red Dead Redemption
Pages: 1, 2
bOnEs
QUOTE (ViceMan @ May 28 2010, 12:58 PM) *
QUOTE (bOnEs @ May 28 2010, 04:33 PM) *
songbirds are random and rare... just keep your eyes to the sky... i tend to come across them chilling on the ground... i only notice that they are songbird after they get up and fly away...

I wouldn't say songbirds are rare, owls are harder to find as you only see them at night or dawn, usually sitting on the ground, and they don't move unless you disturb them. And songbirds can be a variety of colours, i've seen yellow ones, but blue does seem more common.

So i'm off to fuck a duck then, which will hopefully be the last animal to hunt.

And foxes are common throughout Mexico and also in Tall Trees I believe, don't get them confused with the bobcat though.

foxes are common but, hard to spot as they resemble a few different animals like the coyote, the raccoon, a dog, etc... and they seem to be the animal that is scared of humans the most... they stay away for the most part i noticed... at least, i had a hard time hunting a fox biggrin.gif...

well, since owls come out at night, you have somewhere to start... songbirds are out in the daytime and their location is random... you might not even spot one for quite some time... at least with an owl, you hear their call... i have no clue what sound a songbird makes...
ViceMan
QUOTE (bOnEs @ May 28 2010, 06:13 PM) *
well, since owls come out at night, you have somewhere to start... songbirds are out in the daytime and their location is random... you might not even spot one for quite some time... at least with an owl, you hear their call... i have no clue what sound a songbird makes...

They usually fly very high in the sky and so are hard to shoot down unless you use deadeye. They have the usual chirpy-chirpy tweety-tweety call. And they're found throughout most of the land.
bOnEs
chirp-chirp... lol i'm an idiot, of course that's the sound they make laugh.gif...
ViceMan
I just shot down about a dozen and there were still more in the sky, I was in Great Plains, near the Pacific Union R.R. Camp.
Massacre
QUOTE (aussie_b8ler @ May 28 2010, 01:30 AM) *
Also there are no bats.

Okay, then fuck everyone who was talking about bats and made me think they were in the game. Not that I remembered to look for them, anyway.

QUOTE (bOnEs @ May 28 2010, 10:33 AM) *
also, lake don julio is the best place to hunt ducks... i had no such luck hunting on the river...

Thanks, off to do some duck hunting.
bOnEs
wow, out of all the hunting challenges, killing two cougars with a knife took the longest... it was like they stopped spawning when that challenge opened up because, i spent hours roaming the wilderness trying to find them... and a few of those times, i was killed almost immediately and couldn't get the kill...

here is some advice for those who try to tackle this challenge... when you have your encounter, circle him... just keep trying to run behind him... eventually you will and that's when you strike...

i don't know if the kill a bear with a knife challenge is harder because, as soon as this one unlocked, i saw a person being chased by a bear... so, i was able to chase it without it turning around and trying to kill me... and it took a good 10 or so swipes with the knife... so, its possible that this one might be harder but, it wasn't for me... it was funny after i did kill the bear because, i turn around and three bears were chasing me, probably for a mile laugh.gif...

and while the legendary animal encounters were cool, they weren't hard at all... the last two hunting challenges are a piece of cake...
ViceMan
QUOTE (bOnEs @ May 30 2010, 03:36 PM) *
wow, out of all the hunting challenges, killing two cougars with a knife took the longest... it was like they stopped spawning when that challenge opened up because, i spent hours roaming the wilderness trying to find them... and a few of those times, i was killed almost immediately and couldn't get the kill...

here is some advice for those who try to tackle this challenge... when you have your encounter, circle him... just keep trying to run behind him... eventually you will and that's when you strike...

i don't know if the kill a bear with a knife challenge is harder because, as soon as this one unlocked, i saw a person being chased by a bear... so, i was able to chase it without it turning around and trying to kill me... and it took a good 10 or so swipes with the knife... so, its possible that this one might be harder but, it wasn't for me... it was funny after i did kill the bear because, i turn around and three bears were chasing me, probably for a mile laugh.gif...

and while the legendary animal encounters were cool, they weren't hard at all... the last two hunting challenges are a piece of cake...

So you didn't heed my advice in the other topic at all? Oh well, fuck ya. tongue.gif
bOnEs
QUOTE (ViceMan @ May 30 2010, 12:42 PM) *
QUOTE (bOnEs @ May 30 2010, 03:36 PM) *

So you didn't heed my advice in the other topic at all? Oh well, fuck ya. tongue.gif

umm, no i didn't use that advice as i was afraid of accidentally killing it biggrin.gif... but, that sounds like GREAT advice for the bears because, you can get a cougar in a couple swipes with the knife but, a bear takes a lot more than that...
DiO
I got attacked by cougars wand wolves at the exact same time. You know how they dont kill you in one shot allowing yourself time to hear or use medicine. Well it was like the cougar was a part of the wolf pack. He was right in the middle of it. A wolf bit me then a cougar slashed me. DEAD. Couldnt even bring up my kit to use medicine. Fucking bullshit.
DuPz0r
I tackled 5 bears ( in some cases, two at the same time) in tall trees with a knife no problem. It only took like 3 swipes for each... I thought they'd be harder than that.
Psy
After a few swipes with the knife, the bear shit itself and tried to run away from me, so I stabbed it up the arse smile.gif. Easy.
mrperfect
QUOTE (Psy @ Jun 1 2010, 11:33 AM) *
After a few swipes with the knife, the bear shit itself and tried to run away from me, so I stabbed it up the arse smile.gif. Easy.

Yeah bear is easy to kill with a knife. A little tip is to go into the log cabin and stand by the door so you can stab the bears without them being able to harm you.
DuPz0r
QUOTE (mrperfect @ Jun 2 2010, 06:29 PM) *
QUOTE (Psy @ Jun 1 2010, 11:33 AM) *

Yeah bear is easy to kill with a knife. A little tip is to go into the log cabin and stand by the door so you can stab the bears without them being able to harm you.

I did this. I entered the cabin as soon as i arrived and pulled out my bolt rifle. I killed off all the standard bears, but the Griz managed to take a few more shots and ran right up to the cabin. I just back off into it and blasted it 4 or 5 times with the semi-auto shotty.

I'll have a go at knifing it to death next time!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.