Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Critters of the West
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Red Dead Series > Red Dead Redemption
Pages: 1, 2
TreeFitty
List of the animals in Red Dead Redemption. Most are needed for the achievement. Ones with an asterisk (*) are reported to not be needed. Thanks to Fettsplace for the long list of confirmed animals.

1. Armadillos
  2. Bears
  3. Beavers
  4. Bighorn
  5. Boars
  6. Bobcats
  7. Buffalo
  8. Chickens (hens and cocks)
  9. Cougars
  10. *Cows (cows and bulls)
  11. Coyote
  12. Crows
  13. Deer (doe and bucks)
  14. Dogs (Mexican hairless and Border Collie)
  15. Ducks
  16. Eagles
  17. Elk
  18. Foxes
  19. *Goats
  20. Hawks
  21. *Jaguar
  22. Domestic Horses (many types)
  23. *Wild Horses (many types)
  24. *Mules
  25. Owls
  26. *Pigs
  27. Rabbits
  28. Raccoons
  29. Seagulls
  30. Skunks
  31. Snakes (rattlesnake, ...?...)
  32. Songbirds
  33. Vultures
  34. Wolves

Feel free to add to and update information.

Page is up: http://www.ireddead.com/reddeadredemption/...ther-creatures/
ViceMan
What about Coyotes and Wolves?
bOnEs
i thought i read about rabbit hunting somewhere too...
Massacre
These donkeys... Can I perform shows with them?
Marney1
I'm sure I've seen Mr Marston wearing a raccoon on his head.

Oh and bats, you can trade in bat wings so there's probably bat caves somewhere.
TreeFitty
wolves were on there... lost in the re-ordering I guess. Added the others.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (Massacre @ Apr 21 2010, 12:45 PM) *
These donkeys... Can I perform shows with them?

This.
Marney1
All that water, there must be fish in there and maybe alligators........do you get alligators in that part of the US?
TreeFitty
Alligators:

Crocodiles:
Marney1
Good chance of being dragged in and eaten then! ohmy.gif
TreeFitty
Might throw a few into the Mexican area. (she's a whore like that)

Page is up: http://www.ireddead.com/reddeadredemption/...ther-creatures/

And competitive mode video is coming today. (thursday)
ViceMan
Turkeys? I dunno, you Americans like your turkeys...
bOnEs
we do... you betcha there's going to be turkeys in RDR!! i bet there's going to be pheasants too... everything redneck hillbillies like to hunt...
ViceMan
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Apr 22 2010, 10:49 PM) *
...everything redneck hillbillies like to hunt...

Queers?
TreeFitty
Can confirm rattlesnakes now.

too bad R* put the RDR logo over it in the big pic... Dug around a little more and added others.
ViceMan
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Apr 27 2010, 01:18 AM) *
Can confirm rattlesnakes now.

too bad R* put the RDR logo over it in the big pic... Dug around a little more and added others.

Great, so we'll be wandering around in some grass then suddenly our health will start disappearing.
TreeFitty
Rockstar says they'll be releasing a wildlife feature a week or two before release. Not that far away.
randoms
yes you can lasso dogs thumbup.gif
Massacre
I would like to lasso a dog and make it my pet. It made me feel loved in Fable II, and even in Fallout 3, never mind that Dogmeat never came with me anywhere.
PabloHoneyOle

I would like to lasso a dog and make it my snack. I miss Korea.
DiO
Don't forget Golem.

Massacre
The holes in that "Precious" are much more useful than the hole in the other one.
Seven Shots
As much as we tend to forget, our country has a load of dangerous animals, from gators to rattlesnakes to wolves to bears. And where do all of these animals predominantly reside? The West.

Yet another reason why Rockstar has chosen their best setting to date.

Oh yeah, and don't forget multiplayer. I'm pretty sure that all those critters will transfer to at least free mode.
Dog Mauser Truck
An orange kitten would be nice to play with at the end of a hard day. Remember how fun the baby mission was from Fallout 3?
TreeFitty
Wildlife and Hunting feature: http://www.ireddead.com/news/rockstar/51/o...fe-and-hunting/
TreeFitty
page/list updated. smile.gif Just need to add/confirm trading post info.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Apr 21 2010, 04:32 AM) *
Still need to add/confirm trading post items.

* American Buffalo - Buffalo meat, Buffalo Horns, Buffalo Skin

* Armadillos - Armadillo Carapace, Armadillo Meat

* Bats - Bat Wings

* Beavers - Beaver Meat, Beaver Fur

* Bighorn Sheep - Bighorn Meat, Bighorn Horns, Bighorn Skin

* Boars - Boar Meat, Tusks, Boar Skin

* Bobcats - Bobcat Fur, Bobcat Claw, Bobcat Meat

* Cattle - Cattle Hide, Cattle Meat

* Bulls - Bull Meat, Bull Hide

* Chickens - Chicken Feathers

* Coyotes - Coyote Hide, Coyote Meat

* Cougars - Cougar Meat, Cougar Claw, Cougar Fang

* Crows - Crow Feathers

* Deer - Deer Meat, Deer Skin

* Bucks - Buck Meat, Buck Skin, Buck Antlers

* Dogs - Dog Meat, Dog Fur

* Donkeys - Donkey Hide, Donkey Meat

* Ducks - Duck Feathers

* Eagles - Eagle Feathers

* Elk - Elk Skin, Elk Antlers, Elk Meat

* Foxes - Fox Meat

* Goats - Goat Meat

* Grizzly Bears - Bear Furs, Bear Claws, Bear Meat, Bear Teeth

* Hawks - Hawk Feathers

* Horses - Horse Meat, Horse Hide

* Mules - Mule Meat, Mule Hide

* Owls - Owl Feathers

* Pigs - Pig Meat

* Rabbits - Rabbit Meat

* Raccoons - Raccoon Meat, Raccoon Pelt

* Rattlesnakes - Snake Skin

* Seagulls - Seagulls Feathers

* Song Birds - Song Bird Feathers

* Skunks - Skunk Pelt, Skunk Meat

* Vultures - Vulture Feather

* Wolves - Wolf Meat, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Heart
ViceMan
I have yet to see bats, and there's a jaguar called Khan that you have to kill for the 9th hunter challenge, i'm not sure if it's a one of a kind animal, but it's in the very south of Mexico.
TreeFitty
ty Stoic

Apparently bat wings is a plant. unsure.gif
ViceMan
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ May 25 2010, 11:18 PM) *
Apparently bat wings is a plant. unsure.gif

Where does it say that? It can't be because the final survivalist challenge requires you to collect 2 of every plant, and that isn't one of them.
TreeFitty
Then I'm completely lost on that one. Not listed for the animal achievement, and there is a plant named as such as well.

Could have been taken out for all we know.
aussie_b8ler
I can confirm that cows, goats, wild horses, mules and pigs are not required for the trophy. I just got it and have not killed any of these.
TreeFitty
Interesting....
aussie_b8ler
They all seem to be farm yard animals. Maybe the trophy only includes wild animals.
TreeFitty
Aside from the "wild" horses I was thinking the same thing. Then again, it's horses.
aussie_b8ler
The trophy description says one of every species. I have killed broken horses so I would assume they are classified as the same species. Maybe there is also a link between goats/big horns and even pigs/boars. Are cows related to Buffalos?
ViceMan
I think the only thing I haven't killed that I know about is a seagull. I think i've killed all other birds; vulture, crow, songbird, eagle, hawk, owl - are there any others?
aussie_b8ler
There are chickens as well. But they may not be needed.
ViceMan
QUOTE (aussie_b8ler @ May 27 2010, 09:30 PM) *
There are chickens as well. But they may not be needed.

I've killed them too.
TreeFitty
Makes me wonder if dogs would be needed.
ViceMan
So where are ducks found then? And can anyone confirm if jaguars are found aside from the one in the hunter challenge. (Not really a spoiler but fuck it.)
TreeFitty

apparently you can set bait to attract him.
ViceMan
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ May 27 2010, 10:02 PM) *

apparently you can set bait to attract him.

I know, i've done the challenge, done all of them, I just wondered if they spawned normally aside from him. And I didn't have to use bait, just waited for a minute or so and he appeared.

And that image is taken from MP, where one of the challenges is to hunt him in Tanner's Reach.
Hardcore Ottoman
Tanner's Ranch is nuts... can't stay alive there for three minutes. At least in MP.
aussie_b8ler
QUOTE (ViceMan @ May 27 2010, 10:01 PM) *
So where are ducks found then?

Ducks are found all along the San Luis River (the river that separates the map). I was on the river bank just north of Chuparosa and heard a "quack". Looked up and there was a whole flock.
Massacre
Is there a normal location where songbirds spawn, or it it random like the other birds? The songbird, bats, and bighorn sheep are the only things I have left to kill.

Also, eagle hunting is fun.
aussie_b8ler
QUOTE (Massacre @ May 28 2010, 01:55 AM) *
Is there a normal location where songbirds spawn, or it it random like the other birds? The songbird, bats, and bighorn sheep are the only things I have left to kill.

Also, eagle hunting is fun.

Songbirds are found all over the map. They are blue so I suggest hunting during the day so they are easier to spot. Also there are no bats.
bOnEs
songbirds are random and rare... just keep your eyes to the sky... i tend to come across them chilling on the ground... i only notice that they are songbird after they get up and fly away...

also, lake don julio is the best place to hunt ducks... i had no such luck hunting on the river...

and i got the trophy last night for killing one of every species... the hardest one to find was the fox... i kept thinking they were coyotes during my journey through the game... they're small, quiet and run away at any hint of a human presence... they're a little tricky to spot...
Hardcore Ottoman
Yeah, I randomly killed one below the cliff where the Gordo boar is. Maybe that's a good spot to look?
ViceMan
QUOTE (bOnEs @ May 28 2010, 04:33 PM) *
songbirds are random and rare... just keep your eyes to the sky... i tend to come across them chilling on the ground... i only notice that they are songbird after they get up and fly away...

I wouldn't say songbirds are rare, owls are harder to find as you only see them at night or dawn, usually sitting on the ground, and they don't move unless you disturb them. And songbirds can be a variety of colours, i've seen yellow ones, but blue does seem more common.

So i'm off to fuck a duck then, which will hopefully be the last animal to hunt.

And foxes are common throughout Mexico and also in Tall Trees I believe, don't get them confused with the bobcat though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.