Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Automobiles
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Red Dead Series > Red Dead Redemption
TreeFitty

Think there are any more in the game?
Psy
I have a sneaky feeling there may be wink.gif
DuPz0r
Well if they had them back in the day, then I'm sure R* would have done their homework. And they will be in the game. smile.gif
Marney1
I think it's highly likely there wil be, in the more modern areas but they'll probably be slower than your donkey and terrible to handle over the rough earth. If I do find one I'll still try getting from one side of the map to the other - maybe that could be one of the secret 13 achievements?
Spoiler
QUOTE (marney1 @ Apr 16 2010, 11:51 AM) *
I think it's highly likely there wil be, in the more modern areas but they'll probably be slower than your donkey and terrible to handle over the rough earth. If I do find one I'll still try getting from one side of the map to the other - maybe that could be one of the secret 13 achievements?

lol the game is still developing and already ready for achievements. where do we find such over-achievers anywhere but here...
PabloHoneyOle
No helicopters, no buy.

Just kidding.
I think there will definitely be a handful of vehicles. I don't expect anything too fast, but there will probably be a few buggies available to scoot around in.

It would be cool to have a low speed multiplayer race.
Heartless
I want to know more about the trains and if we can rob them.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (Rick Astley @ Apr 16 2010, 10:47 AM) *
I want to know more about the trains and if we can DRIVE them.

Heartless
Drive them, rob them, explode them, run over people with them, I'll take anything.
Psy
Capture a load of horses, make them wait on the tracks then plough a train into them? Should be awesome fam (3).gif
TreeFitty
QUOTE (Psy @ Apr 16 2010, 12:42 PM) *
Capture a load of horses, make them wait on the tracks then plough a train into them? Should be awesome fam (3).gif

*scratches chin* sounds like you're talking from experience......

also, lasso a hooker and leave here on the tracks.
Heartless
PabloHoneyOle

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/...9679C946497D6CF

Check this out, it's a news article from the NY Times in 1905. Red Dead takes place in the 1900's.

Looks like I might be making some press in the NY Times, only this time, the man won't be so lucky. If the train doesn't finish him off, my six-shooter will.

Also, I found this article while looking for video of horses getting hit by trains, which I am having trouble finding.

Are there moose in Red Dead?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/805573/train_hit_moose/
Heartless
Moose aren't native to the part of the country depicted so far. That's a realism idea though, not grounded in anything other then animal habitats.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (Rick Astley @ Apr 16 2010, 03:22 PM) *
Moose aren't native to the part of the country depicted so far. That's a realism idea though, not grounded in anything other then animal habitats.

I want to be able to travel by horseback to areas with moose, rope one, bring it back to the train tracks and then run it over.

Anyway the Wikipedia site says there are over 40 animals to hunt including elk, bison and bighorn sheep. There might be a moose up in the mountains just waiting for me.

If not, it will definitely be DLC.
TreeFitty
QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Apr 16 2010, 03:13 PM) *

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/...9679C946497D6CF

Check this out, it's a news article from the NY Times in 1905. Red Dead takes place in the 1900's.

Looks like I might be making some press in the NY Times, only this time, the man won't be so lucky. If the train doesn't finish him off, my six-shooter will.

I've probably driven across the same spot as that lucky fellow...
GTA_SA
That cartoon image laugh.gif

This could be quite an interesting addition to this game.
ViceMan
QUOTE (GTA_SA @ May 2 2010, 02:26 PM) *

I think it's just an attempt to break up the apparent monotony of riding horses across the open landscapes. Something to add a bit of replay value. What's going to take some getting used to from GTA is the lack of radio stations, you play the whole game practically with music to accompany it. But in RDR the only music we're going to have is in the saloons or some vagrant playing a harmonica.
Dog Mauser Truck
QUOTE (ViceMan @ May 2 2010, 02:20 PM) *
QUOTE (GTA_SA @ May 2 2010, 02:26 PM) *

I think it's just an attempt to break up the apparent monotony of riding horses across the open landscapes. Something to add a bit of replay value. What's going to take some getting used to from GTA is the lack of radio stations, you play the whole game practically with music to accompany it. But in RDR the only music we're going to have is in the saloons or some vagrant playing a harmonica.

True, the first commercial radio station wasn't until 1912, and the first full time radio network wasn't until the BBC in 1918, too.

Trains. Here's an evil thought: you help the rebels win, then kidnap their leader and tie him to the railroads and run a train
over him. Wouldn't that be a shock to the locals, too? thumbup.gif
asthenia
Psst. No driving cars.

Can't speak for trains though. fam (3).gif
BAMF
Yeah, in the podcast interview that Zeeshan810 posted yesterday it is either Jeronimo or Rob Nelson of R* who states, unequivocally, that while Marston will see automobiles (e.g., in West Elisabeth) that he is a died in the wool horse back rider and will NOT drive cars in the game.

On a different note, Viceman's point about radio stations has me thinking. Obviously there won't be radio stations but there is a soundtrack, right? So there must be mood music going on outside of town? I wonder if you have some control over the selection via the game menu?
asthenia
Most probably. I can't see walking through the land with no music happening, even if it's just ambient. Although I will be turning it off as soon as I can to see what the world is like with no music.
BAMF
QUOTE (Asthenia @ May 13 2010, 06:47 AM) *
Most probably. I can't see walking through the land with no music happening, even if it's just ambient. Although I will be turning it off as soon as I can to see what the world is like with no music.

Another great point, Asthenia. It may well be in our best interest to keep our eyes and EARS open when out and about - yikes! ohmy.gif
JamieMilne
bit dissapoiinted that if what that podcast said was true, that he cant drive the automobiles, that sorta of things fine in an old game where they just simply dont have the space on disc, time to do it or expeirence to animate it, but rstar does and i think for me it would take away from the open world game if i cant get in a car and drive. lol
bOnEs
QUOTE (JamieMilne @ May 13 2010, 08:29 AM) *
bit dissapoiinted that if what that podcast said was true, that he cant drive the automobiles, that sorta of things fine in an old game where they just simply dont have the space on disc, time to do it or expeirence to animate it, but rstar does and i think for me it would take away from the open world game if i cant get in a car and drive. lol

i disagree... i think that if you had the ability to drive, it would take you away from the experience of the wild west... seeing marston in a buggy honking the horn and driving faster than the horses would really ruin the experience IMO... it's a game-breaker the more i think about it... save the cars for GTA...
asthenia
QUOTE (BAMF @ May 13 2010, 12:50 PM) *
QUOTE (Asthenia @ May 13 2010, 06:47 AM) *

Another great point, Asthenia. It may well be in our best interest to keep our eyes and EARS open when out and about - yikes! ohmy.gif

Why thankyou, BAMF. I'm liking this bromance we've got going on. I think hearing will be a big part of it... Did you read the IGN articles I posted? In the General RDR Topic - take a look at The Hero. He talks about hearing gunshots off in the distance and hopelessly searching for them. I think once we get playing, there'll be an emotional tie to Red Dead.

QUOTE (bOnEs @ May 13 2010, 04:23 PM) *
QUOTE (JamieMilne @ May 13 2010, 08:29 AM) *

i disagree... i think that if you had the ability to drive, it would take you away from the experience of the wild west... seeing marston in a buggy honking the horn and driving faster than the horses would really ruin the experience IMO... it's a game-breaker the more i think about it... save the cars for GTA...

It would be insane fun. That's a given, but bOnEs has good point here, and has anybody else noticed the running theme with this game?

John can't swim.
John can't drive.
John can't get it on with whores. (That is still to be confirmed by the way... and I actually think it might be in. Just a hunch.)

Why? Because John was never taught to swim, he can wade out to an extent... Because the first time John see's cars, is when he's with us. We experience it together... Because John is a married man, trying to win back his family in the game...

He's heart & soul, a cowboy. He knows about killin', and being a Cowboy. One of the guns blazin', last few of a dying breed.
BAMF
If I could teleport, I wouldn't bother learning how to drive either! biggrin.gif

Seriously, I think R* wants to take this game in a different direction then simply being a Wild West GTA. Not knowing how to drive (not wanting to know how to drive) and not knowing how to swim are entirely plausible. Besides, if we could drive everybody would be bitching about how slow and clumsy the cars were. No thanks, no fun.

Now, I'm gonna keep my comments about whores in proper topic wink.gif
grimface_87
I just hope they have a DeLorean in a cave somewhere as an easter egg!
Dog Mauser Truck
Fine, I'll just amuse myself by massacring the Mexico rebels at a genocidal level. HASTA LA VISTA, MEXISCUM!
andy42s
QUOTE (Rick Astley @ Apr 16 2010, 08:47 AM) *

this should answer that

train robbery

biggrin.gif
bOnEs
QUOTE (andy42s @ May 15 2010, 03:54 PM) *
QUOTE (Rick Astley @ Apr 16 2010, 08:47 AM) *

this should answer that

train robbery

biggrin.gif

i can't wait for when i am riding the train to the next town and it gets robbed biggrin.gif... you know that's going to happen too... it'll be fun to waste the outlaws trying to rob me...
zeeshan810
QUOTE (BAMF @ May 13 2010, 07:26 AM) *
Yeah, in the podcast interview that Zeeshan810 posted yesterday it is either Jeronimo or Rob Nelson of R* who states, unequivocally, that while Marston will see automobiles (e.g., in West Elisabeth) that he is a died in the wool horse back rider and will NOT drive cars in the game.

On a different note, Viceman's point about radio stations has me thinking. Obviously there won't be radio stations but there is a soundtrack, right? So there must be mood music going on outside of town? I wonder if you have some control over the selection via the game menu?

It was Jeronimo who talked about cars and John Marston.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.