Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just Cause 2 - First Impressions
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Other Gaming > Other Games
Pages: 1, 2, 3
PabloHoneyOle
I imagine this is just a taste and the rest of the DLC will be coming shortly.

I love some free DLC.
TheAnalogKid2112
Same. I'm checking it out now.
TheAnalogKid2112
I see nobody gives a fuck about this game anymore.
PabloHoneyOle
I still give a fuck.

No one else seemed to be playing this game.

I've been playing the hell out of it, just hit the 54 hour mark last night. I stopped doing story missions after completing #5 and I have just been collecting upgrades, liberating towns, completing Faction missions and collecting Faction items. I've driven all the vehicles, except for the goddamn Vanderbuilt Leisure Liner which apparently is not in the game - anywhere.

I think the only achievements I am missing are the one for flying under 30 bridges (currently have about 10); killing five enemies with a "wrecking ball" (have maybe 3); getting 75% (at 60% right now); the 49 Faction Missions (currently have 45) and the ones for 6 & 7 missions - and of course for completing the game.

Most of the faction missions have been awesome. I'll probably be hanging onto this game until my 360 becomes obsolete.

Very disappointed people aren't playing this game.
Ex-PS Fanboy
After some more thorough playing I've determined that this game isn't all it's cracked up to be. I stand by what I said before, there's some awesome aspects, but it plays like a complete piece of shit, but was it worth the $40 I payed... Pretty much
bOnEs
i was wondering if anyone was playing this anymore... usually a topic stays pretty hot for a while if there's a few playing... apparently, only stoic is still playing?? and maybe analogkid??
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (Evangel @ Apr 26 2010, 11:40 AM) *
After some more thorough playing I've determined that this game isn't all it's cracked up to be. I stand by what I said before, there's some awesome aspects, but it plays like a complete piece of shit, but was it worth the $40 I payed... Pretty much

Your opinion is appreciated, but wrong. How far are you in the game? Can you list more specifics?
Massacre
I'll probably return to this sometime before RDR comes out.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Apr 26 2010, 11:55 AM) *

Your opinion is appreciated, but wrong. How far are you in the game? Can you list more specifics?

I'm just past where I meet What-his-name. The rogue guy. I'm still hating parachuting and anything to do with it, driving is less of an issue. The story and gameplay are also very linear. Story isn't holding my interest, and the game is a bunch of the same. But I only payed $40 which seems about right, I got what I payed for.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (Evangel @ Apr 27 2010, 11:19 AM) *

I'm just past where I meet What-his-name. The rogue guy. I'm still hating parachuting and anything to do with it, driving is less of an issue. The story and gameplay are also very linear. Story isn't holding my interest, and the game is a bunch of the same. But I only payed $40 which seems about right, I got what I payed for.

Sounds like you really haven't scratched the surface. That's fine. If you don't like it you don't like it. If you didn't give it a chance, that's cool too. There's no mech-warriors.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Apr 27 2010, 11:24 AM) *
QUOTE (Evangel @ Apr 27 2010, 11:19 AM) *

Sounds like you really haven't scratched the surface. That's fine. If you don't like it you don't like it. If you didn't give it a chance, that's cool too. There's no mech-warriors.

Problem #1

Problem #2- Lack of Dethklok
TheAnalogKid2112
Yeah I'm still playing it. Just not as much.
ENVi3
This game is on Amazon's Deal of the Day: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=U...ocId=1000208101
I am not sure how that compares to other places, but you're getting $15 off and it's eligible for the free shipping.
PabloHoneyOle
Definitely worth the price.
bOnEs
ehh, i'm waiting for the edition that is loaded with all of the DLC included... that could be in about 6 months or so...
PabloHoneyOle
Not a bad idea - if it's going to happen.

Speaking of DLC:
Available from April 29th, the ‘Black Market Aerial Pack’ is the ultimate accessory for airborne agents. Taking full advantage of Just Cause 2’s vertical gameplay, the pack is the perfect partner for aerial devastation, containing:

• F-33 Dragon Fly Jet Fighter: a versatile attack aircraft, equipped with twin missiles and quad-mounted mini-guns
• Multi-lock Missile Launcher: a devastating weapon of destruction featuring laser-guided auto-lock on up to four targets
• Parachute Dual Thrusters: twin parachute-mounted jets which transform Rico’s trademark parachute into one of the most nimble and powerful attack platforms.

It's out tomorrow on XBL and PSN. Supposedly it's 160 MSP or $1.99 - a definite pickup for me.

Oh yeah, also:
Following on May 25th, the ‘Black Market Boom Pack’ fills a gap in the market for the agent with little concern for collateral damage. With three experimental and highly volatile prototype weapons, the pack is the final word in wide-scale carnage, featuring:

• Quad Rocket Launcher: half shotgun, half rocket launcher, all carnage
• Cluster Bomb Launcher: the natural successor to the grenade launcher
• Air Propulsion Gun: a highly experimental jet-powered blast weapon, powerful enough to send vehicles and soldiers skywards.
bOnEs
it seems like just cause 2 is doing the DLC right... cheap prices for cheap gimmicks... at least they're not charging $15 for multiplayer maps, like call of duty MW2... haven't all of the DLC packs been pretty cheap so far?? this one sounds like a sweet pack though...
Massacre
QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Apr 28 2010, 11:13 AM) *

Speaking of DLC:
Available from April 29th, the 'Black Market Aerial Pack' is the ultimate accessory for airborne agents. Taking full advantage of Just Cause 2's vertical gameplay, the pack is the perfect partner for aerial devastation, containing:

• F-33 Dragon Fly Jet Fighter: a versatile attack aircraft, equipped with twin missiles and quad-mounted mini-guns
• Multi-lock Missile Launcher: a devastating weapon of destruction featuring laser-guided auto-lock on up to four targets
• Parachute Dual Thrusters: twin parachute-mounted jets which transform Rico's trademark parachute into one of the most nimble and powerful attack platforms.

It's out tomorrow on XBL and PSN. Supposedly it's 160 MSP or $1.99 - a definite pickup for me.

Oh yeah, also:
Following on May 25th, the 'Black Market Boom Pack' fills a gap in the market for the agent with little concern for collateral damage. With three experimental and highly volatile prototype weapons, the pack is the final word in wide-scale carnage, featuring:

• Air Propulsion Gun: a highly experimental jet-powered blast weapon, powerful enough to send vehicles and soldiers skywards.

Yeah, I'll be going back to JC2 this week. Also, I wonder if aiming the Air Propulsion Gun at the ground will launch you into the air, too. It could be my new way of getting around.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Apr 28 2010, 11:13 AM) *

Speaking of DLC:
Available from April 29th, the ‘Black Market Aerial Pack’ is the ultimate accessory for airborne agents. Taking full advantage of Just Cause 2’s vertical gameplay, the pack is the perfect partner for aerial devastation, containing:

• Parachute Dual Thrusters: twin parachute-mounted jets which transform Rico’s trademark parachute into one of the most nimble and powerful attack platforms.

Oh yeah, also:
Following on May 25th, the ‘Black Market Boom Pack’ fills a gap in the market for the agent with little concern for collateral damage. With three experimental and highly volatile prototype weapons, the pack is the final word in wide-scale carnage, featuring:

That might re-draw my attention.
PabloHoneyOle
I've already queued up the DLC purchase. Confirmed at 160 MSP.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/me...2534307e7/?of=3
bOnEs
ok, my first impressions are, jawdrop.gif...

i've cleared out 4 bases 100% already and i've done 2 missions, one faction mission and one faction stronghold... and the completion percentage only says 3%... the scale of panau is just amazing... i leaped off the mountain near the stronghold i took over and it took some time before i even needed to pull the chute biggrin.gif... and i couldn't believe how long it took to reach the main city in the middle in a helicopter and the fact that it took almost as long to freefall and parachute into the city... wow... i think i will have more fun in this sandbox than i did in empire city... and the fact that i've barely touched the missions and already have unlocked some good weapons is enough for me to barely waste time with the missions...

it's the saboteur all over again , blowing up everything in a base laugh.gif... except this time i can blow up the main stuff with an equipped helicopter, then parachute in and clean up the rest on foot... i thought i was going to get annoyed with the enemies but, they're only persistent in the bases, which makes sense... crippling the communication tower eliminates some of that... outside of them, if you kill them and flee the scene, you usually get away... hell, i was causing a ton of chaos riding on top of a moving vehicle and was still escaping the military on top of the car...

now THIS is a sandbox game... holy shit there's a bunch of stuff to blow up and lots of map to do it in... i am not sure how hooked i'll get but, i see some good 'ol fashion destruction everywhere i go... i am sure it will suffice...
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Aug 31 2010, 11:59 PM) *
ok, my first impressions are, jawdrop.gif...

i've cleared out 4 bases 100% already and i've done 2 missions, one faction mission and one faction stronghold... and the completion percentage only says 3%... the scale of panau is just amazing... i leaped off the mountain near the stronghold i took over and it took some time before i even needed to pull the chute biggrin.gif... and i couldn't believe how long it took to reach the main city in the middle in a helicopter and the fact that it took almost as long to freefall and parachute into the city... wow... i think i will have more fun in this sandbox than i did in empire city... and the fact that i've barely touched the missions and already have unlocked some good weapons is enough for me to barely waste time with the missions...

it's the saboteur all over again , blowing up everything in a base laugh.gif... except this time i can blow up the main stuff with an equipped helicopter, then parachute in and clean up the rest on foot... i thought i was going to get annoyed with the enemies but, they're only persistent in the bases, which makes sense... crippling the communication tower eliminates some of that... outside of them, if you kill them and flee the scene, you usually get away... hell, i was causing a ton of chaos riding on top of a moving vehicle and was still escaping the military on top of the car...

now THIS is a sandbox game... holy shit there's a bunch of stuff to blow up and lots of map to do it in... i am not sure how hooked i'll get but, i see some good 'ol fashion destruction everywhere i go... i am sure it will suffice...

Welcome to the party.

Did you buy or rent? This is one of those games you can literally play forever. Maybe not forever, but yeah. There are SO many towns and cities to discover and destroy. The missions are good, but the real excitement is in the exploration of the land. I wish Just Cause 2 had RDR's animal presence/ecosystem in place - it would make for more excitement while trekking through the jungle, but I guess that would really take away from the focus of the game - to blow shit up and kill some Asian motherfuckers.

Be sure to find Lost Island, the obvious titty club in the sky, the whale, the shark, the hot-air balloon and the ski resort.
bOnEs
rented... and it's still going for $40 so, i am not purchasing just yet... but, i could see myself purchasing this in the future... it looks like it offers hours upon hours of exploration...

i thought i spotted a blimp way off in the distance but, it was so far away that i had no desire to go there just yet... i haven't even found a plane yet, just helicopters... are those all the easter eggs you listed or are there more?? i might do some exploring tonight but, i also want to blow up a bunch of stuff as well...

i still can't get over the scale of the game... i remember messing around in the demo but, i didn't actually realize how big it was until i flew to the city in the middle... that's just amazing...
PabloHoneyOle
They're not all easter eggs, and those aren't all of them anyway.

I have had the game since release day and there are still towns and cities I haven't discovered yet.

I'm done with the storyline and 69% done with the map - there are cities I haven't even made it to yet to discover.
bOnEs
yea, i am just working the mountaintops in the north right now, and doing missions for the reavers, i think that's what they're called... once cool thing i noticed yesterday, which encouraged me to basejump off the mountain was, the menu map is 3D!! it was then that i realized i was on top of one of the tallest peaks on the map and i HAD TO jump off it to see what it would look like...

if by the end of my 5 night rental i am sucked into this world, i might consider buying it sooner... but, i really think i can hold off until after new vegas because, i still have dragon age to beat again, and i have my "evil dead" fallout 3 file left to play before new vegas... but holy shit this game world is quite impressive...

EDIT: a couple questions...

1) is there a garage to store vehicles in??

2) do you have to pay every time to get a vehicle from the black market?? i noticed that i did unlock a plane so, i might buy one and see where it takes me...
Pieface
No, yes.
bOnEs
damn... well, i am up to 4% now biggrin.gif... 8 2/3 of locations have been cleared... 2/3 because i managed to die when i destoyed the only water tower in town... next thing i knew, the whole town turned on me laugh.gif... so, i didn't get the last repair crate before they got me...

bought a plane but didn't save... i used it to fly out to the LOST island... even though i know nothing about the show, it was still pretty cool to see the plane crash and hatch... no one told me my plane was going to get struck down by lightning though laugh.gif... that was surprising...
bOnEs
had another mini-session with this game yesterday and did the first stronghold for the roaches... do they all play out the same? it felt exactly like the first stronghold for the reapers... but, i am a little frustrated with the base i just eradicated because, i am at 97% and i've been back an forth through the base but, i can't find the final kit or propaganda that i need to collect or destroy... that's one thing that gets to me with these bases... when there is one thing left, it takes a lot of time and effort to find it...

i've gotten pretty good at the grapple-hook/parachute thing though... it's rather fun to do too biggrin.gif... it makes traveling a lot easier and less of a chore inside bases... i literally climbed up a mountain doing this as well, which was really sweet...
PabloHoneyOle
There's probably a weapons crate or something you're missing. Up in the top corner of your map there is a little signal deal that blinks as you get closer to the crates.

Those last ones are always fuckers, but usually if you fly around the base area you'll pick up a signal. Sometimes it's outside of the limits of the actual base - look for little landmarks or gas stations, etc.
bOnEs
thanks for telling me about that flashing signal... i had no clue what that meant laugh.gif... hell, now i have no problem clearing bases anymore... now i am finding that generators are the easiest ones to miss, lol... i walked around one base for 10 minutes and i was standing next the mother fucker and didn't even realize it until i turned around... looks like a shipping container to me...

i'm up to 10% now... i've cleared out pretty much every coastline location that's west/south-west of the giant mountain range... i think it last said i cleared out 25+ locations... i've been to the mile-high club and i've also stood on the tallest spot in panau... i even took my helicopter to as high as the map would let me and skydived all the way to 30 feet from the water... holy shit that was cool... this game is addicting...

i'm buying this game one day but, i am not in a rush to get it... i'll mess around some more until sunday night then i'll return it but, i will buy it one day... i'm convinced that it's something i could pop in at any time when i feel the need to blow shit up, explore, stunt, or just plain mess around...
bOnEs
i returned this yesterday... but, not before i got in another hour session with it before work... yea, i officially have a second job now, a part-time job working in the cafeteria at our local brewery (pretty easy job too, just making sandwiches)... and you know what, with that extra revenue, i might go out and buy just cause 2 biggrin.gif...

i am beginning to slowly move away from dragon age... i am just not finding the motivation to continue on with my rogue file and dread the idea of starting a new mage file after that... maybe i might go back to it later this year or next year but, i am kind of itching to play just cause 2 more...

i did a few missions and an agency mission before i returned it and had some fun... i like the fact that now when i infiltrate a military base, they send backup in the form of paratroopers laugh.gif... it's getting a little tougher to take out bases, which makes it a little more fun... and if you die, no big deal... it still counts all the shit you blew up before-hand... and makes finishing off the base easier when you come back to it...

i'm loving it though, i might celebrate my new job by purchasing this game biggrin.gif...
bOnEs
Click to view attachment

i told myself i was going to buy this when it dropped under $20... gamestop is running a used game special and i took advantage... although, something tells me this game is about to be nearing that price-range anyways... i bought this and a cheap hockey game because it's the only "under $10" sports game genre i like that i don't own... the '08 games are under $10 these days, now's the time to waste money on them...

anyways, in the first 10 seconds i managed to grapple myself about 500 yards above my starting point... it's like riding a bike biggrin.gif... and then i proceeded to lob a grenade at some military folk... still need to adjust the gears on the bike i guess, lol...
PabloHoneyOle
So you've got it?

I've been looking for another copy since I traded mine off a few months back.

Under $20 is a good time to repurchase this. I'm still going for the 75% achievement and the Hardcore achievement.
Pieface
I bought it for Ł5 on the Steam sale last it was on...
bOnEs

yup, that's my video right there, with my nifty little PS3-version video recorder... i've been on a just cause 2 rampage the last few days when i've had the chance... i've been to two parties and playing this in my spare time...

and skydiving never gets old biggrin.gif...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.