Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Update my Laptop
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > Geek Central
Heartless
So, I know this sounds crazy, but this is my first PC. Ever. I've always used a Mac. And now I want to update it. Money is not a problem. What hardware should I get?

I have:
AMD Athlon X2 Dual-Core QL-65
3.7 GB RAM
Windows 7 Home, premium, 64 bit
ATI display adapter

The video card is shit, yeah, I know. But what else should I get?
DonkeyTits
You're going to buy a new laptop? What do you/won't you be doing with it?
Must it be a laptop or can it be a desktop?
Heartless
QUOTE (DonkeyTits @ Feb 19 2010, 12:30 AM) *
You're going to buy a new laptop? What do you/won't you be doing with it?
Must it be a laptop or can it be a desktop?

Oh yeah, I wasn't very clear in the OP, was I? I don't need a new laptop, it's only three months old. But all the hardware on it is shit already and I'd like to start replacing it with more game friendly stuff. The RAM I've heard is not too shabby, but I really need a better video card.
Spoiler
AMD Athlon processors are shitty, known to be slower than Intel. get an Intel Core 2 Quad or even Core 2 Duo.
for graphic card, NVIDIA is best for gaming, game developers are partner with them anyway..
take a look around here. i suggest get a 1024MB graphic card so that you don't need to change for next couple of years.
DonkeyTits
It's a tough call. You just bought the thing but now you would need to put a substantial amount of money into it for upgrades. My painful suggestion is to sell it and just buy another.
Sharpie Fetish
The main thought about upgrading laptops is dont do it. Its hard, Hard to find parts, expensive and not stable. Laptops allready struggle with heat dispersion. Putting better components in if you find any puts out more heat and can cause slow down or hardware failure
Heartless
Yeah, I have that problem. It tends to shut off if I watch movies in bed. I think I'll just get a second desktop and call it a night.
Pieface
If you're wanting to upgrade you're Laptop, I hope you have big money. Graphics Card is usually attatched to the motherboard, or soldered in, so to get a new one would cost a fair bit of money and work. Don't have a clue what your Motherboard is so don't know what Processors it would take.

To be honest, only real significant upgrade you can do now is replace your HDD with a Solid State one for faster loading.
Sharpie Fetish
QUOTE (Stinger. @ Mar 22 2010, 02:04 AM) *
If you're wanting to upgrade you're Laptop, I hope you have big money. Graphics Card is usually attatched to the motherboard, or soldered in, so to get a new one would cost a fair bit of money and work. Don't have a clue what your Motherboard is so don't know what Processors it would take.

To be honest, only real significant upgrade you can do now is replace your HDD with a Solid State one for faster loading.

Its not a matter of them being soldered in. If they were you could remove them. If the graphics arent onboard then its using a seperate graphics card and that graphics card in shape is usually designed to fit to that laptop and none others.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.