Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: God of War III
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Other Gaming > Other Games
Pages: 1, 2
Kamahl
They just released the new trailer and i thought it was worth posting. It looks great, im pretty sure it will be one of the best games this year

Here it is:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/02/god...geance-trailer/

bOnEs
i'm passing on GoWIII... as good as it looks and as fun as the previous ones were, i'm just not ready to drop $60 on a hack-n-slash right now... if i were to get one, i would of already pre-ordered dante's inferno as that looks almost as good as the new GoW... but as it stands, i would rather spend my money on the episodes of liberty city in march...
ENVi3
I played the demo, and It's pretty great ... it's just more solid GoW gameplay. I guess the game really follows the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" idea - not that there's anything wrong with that, GoW doesn't disappoint.
I'm with bOnEs on the whole dropping $60 on a game. Usually what i do is only buy FPS because i can get tonnes of replay value with the online, but other types of games it's alot cheaper to just rent (especially if I'm just only running through the story once); I just don't have too much money to throw around.

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Feb 12 2010, 01:58 PM) *
i would of already pre-ordered dante's inferno as that looks almost as good as the new GoW

watch some reviews and see how it ultimately doesn't live up to the hype ...
bOnEs
really? the reviews i've read talk about how it is a nice addition to the hack-n-slash genre, even if it is a rip-off of god of war... and i played the demo and thought it was pretty damn good... dante's inferno is worth the purchase for any hack-n-slash fan...

when is the demo coming out for god of war III?
DiO
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Feb 13 2010, 12:08 PM) *
really? the reviews i've read talk about how it is a nice addition to the hack-n-slash genre, even if it is a rip-off of god of war... and i played the demo and thought it was pretty damn good... dante's inferno is worth the purchase for any hack-n-slash fan...

I played the demo of Dante's Inferno and I found they keep you in one area for too long fighting off the same enemies. It got repetitive. I think they add a lot of enemies to a single area just to make the game longer. I can't see it being as good as GoW III. I bet the idea of making that game in the first place was to put out a hack and slash game before GoW III came out.

Speaking of "came..."

I did watching that GoW III trailer.
bOnEs
QUOTE (Fag @ Feb 13 2010, 12:29 PM) *
I played the demo of Dante's Inferno and I found they keep you in one area for too long fighting off the same enemies. It got repetitive. I think they add a lot of enemies to a single area just to make the game longer.

...and god of war never did that either?? laugh.gif.... that's kind of a staple for the genre... fighting off wave after wave of enemies... and 'm not saying dante's inferno is as good as god of war III, i know it isn't... i'm just saying it sounds like a nice addition to the genre... more so than that bayonetta game...

that trailer was epic though... the giant hands at the end... i mean, god of war always goes BIG... it's epicness on the grandest of scales... i'll never forget the chariot scene in the 2nd one, riding GIGANTIC golden horses across the ocean... or, climbing the back of the GIANT titan carrying a level that contains pandora's box on his back in the first one...

i can't imagine what kind of stuff you'll be doing in the third one...
ENVi3
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Feb 13 2010, 11:08 AM) *

really? well, i think i watched Gamespot's review and Gametrailer's , and they both mention the same faults with it, which is sort of what DO said.

I am not sure when/if a demo for GoW III is coming out to the public. I got the E3 '09 demo off of Qore.
bOnEs
faults, shmaults... you have to form an opinion off of their opinion... i've found great gems hidden beneath mediocre reviews... if you like this genre, you'll enjoy dante's inferno... if you aren't rich (like most of us), then save your money for god of war III... if you don't have a PS3 then, your missing out on the best this genre has to offer (*cough*stoic*cough*)...
DiO
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Feb 13 2010, 12:42 PM) *
QUOTE (Fag @ Feb 13 2010, 12:29 PM) *
I played the demo of Dante's Inferno and I found they keep you in one area for too long fighting off the same enemies. It got repetitive. I think they add a lot of enemies to a single area just to make the game longer.

...and god of war never did that either?? laugh.gif

Not overly. They would move you to a new area with a different arrangement of enemies before it got dull. beginning of the DI demo you were killing those pathetic homeless transvestites for far too long.
Ex-PS Fanboy
This is probably the only hack and slash game I've been anticipating. I don't care, I'm buying it. GoW kicks ass.
bOnEs
QUOTE (PS Fanboy @ Feb 15 2010, 07:51 PM) *
This is probably the only hack and slash game I've been anticipating. I don't care, I'm buying it. GoW kicks ass.

yes it does...

@ D-O, you're probably right... i only played the inferno demo once and thought it was a blast, then watched a friend play it... but, there's 9 different gates of hell so, i think visually you're going to get a nice bang for the buck, and if it feels like god of war then, that's another plus biggrin.gif...

i'm trying to give the 360 guys something to try if they want to know what god of war is "kind of" like laugh.gif...
ENVi3
the demo is out for public download in the NA PS store.
Kamahl
QUOTE (ENVi3 @ Feb 25 2010, 08:56 PM) *

does it have anything new?
ENVi3
QUOTE (Kamahl @ Feb 25 2010, 11:40 PM) *
QUOTE (ENVi3 @ Feb 25 2010, 08:56 PM) *

does it have anything new?

It's the same E3 2009 demo.
TheAnalogKid2112
I'm playing the demo right now. It is so awesome. My record so far for (what I'm guessing are) kill combos is 238 (Pitiless!)
I love the amazing cinematic kills when you fight the big enemies. Especially when Kratos tears their guts out or pierces their head with their own horn.

edit: hahahahahahahahahaahahhaha: I was just walking along a narrow edge and a civilian was stuck saying "help me!" There was a button prompt "O" above him so I assumed it was to save the civilian's life and be a hero. Kratos just smashed their head into the wall, threw them over the edge and kept walking XD.png

The demo just ended. Holy shit!!!!!! It was so much fun! I'm TOTALLY renting this shit as soon as possible. I would buy it in a heartbeat if I had a job. The demo ended at the PERFECT fucking time. It was so damn intense and then BAM! It's over right as I'm at the edge of my seat. Bravo. They sold me.
bOnEs
yea, the ending to the demo was fucking epic!! i was gearing up for a battle against perses (i think that's what his name is) and then BAM, the demo ended... talk about leaving you on the edge of your seat wanting more!! i screamed "holy shit!!" as the demo ended... what a cliffhanger sad.gif...

and the scene where you tore off helios' head was fucking gruesome too... this game is bloodier than ever!!
Ex-PS Fanboy
I got stuck at the part where I'm supposed to scale a ledge.
bOnEs
QUOTE (E_Z @ Feb 28 2010, 02:58 PM) *
I got stuck at the part where I'm supposed to scale a ledge.

noob...
TheAnalogKid2112
GameStop has a deal where if you trade in 2 select titles, you can get this game for 20 bucks. I'm gonna trade in Infamous and Uncharted. Yay!
Kamahl
heres a review, a 9.5

http://www.psu.com/God-of-War-III-Review--a008710-p1.php0

a 9.3 by IGN, and 2x 9.4 by IGN AU and UK

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1075014p1.html
bOnEs
9.8 from PSXextreme... yea, it's going to be a big one, that's for sure... it might even break some PS3 sales records along the way... unfortunately, i am not buying it... i am opting for renting it whenever a copy becomes available, which might be months from now... but, i might get lucky and get it day one like i did with heavy rain...

but, i am renting it because, it can be beat in like a day... i am beginning to not buy games like that anymore... if i can't get $60 out of it then, there's no point... i guess if it had multiplayer, i'd consider purchasing it...
bOnEs
i rented this epic story before i went to work today... can't wait to slay the gods tonight!! biggrin.gif...

man, there was 5 out of 6 copies available to rent when i went in there, which was about 30 minutes after they opened... seriously, i am renting games more often...
Kamahl
i expected more people talking about this... are you guys busy playing it? or is it that you dont care?

Anyway, im not sure if the stores are selling it today here, im gonna look for it and hopefully find it smile.gif, if i dont it will probably be for sale tomorrow or in 2 days
bOnEs
i don't know if any of you know who the gods are in III but, you fight one of them right off the bat!! fucking unbelievable!! move over nathan drake, kratos just took your throne as the best graphics this gen!! hell, best action game this gen!! i've only played maybe 4 hours into it and i am still stunned at what i went through...

i've killed two gods so far... and there are no words to describe how the first god battle was... i would say epic but, just about everything in god of war is epic... only those who play will know what i am talking about... and in HD, it was just too much... i couldn't help grinning from ear to ear after that battle... unless there is a battle ahead more epic, this was the greatest boss battle i've ever been a part of... the only thing i can use to describe the battle is this:
jawdrop.gif
and the second, of what i guess is 6 god battles, was almost as good, but not nearly as epic... the god you fight here is a surprising choice... and the feeling afterward is pretty satisfying, by knowing who's ass you just kicked... more satisfying than the first god but, not even close to as amazing visually...

my impressions so far is "THIS GAME BLOWS THE FIRST AND SECOND ONE RIGHT OFF THE MAP!!" the power of the PS3 has given the creators room to cram a ton of visual sequences and backdrops to every nook and cranny of the map... the controls are all too familiar, and haven't really changed at all during the series so... the mechanics still work like a charm... it's the goddamn visuals that will stun you!! biggrin.gif...

this is shaping up to be one of the greatest fighting games ever created!! fucking forget that it's a hack-n-slash, this game just kicks some major ass all the way up mt. olympus and back down... hands down, the best game of this generation and i am not even half-way through it yet laugh.gif...

12/10... that first battle gets some major brownie points biggrin.gif...
PabloHoneyOle
Bones, I am going to buy this game after I get the money you're sending me for a PS3.

Sounds awesome.
bOnEs
i wouldn't even use the word awesome... try a few of these on for size...

stunning, breath-taking, magnificent, majestic, mind-blowing, overwhelming, fascinating, incredible, marvelous, unbelievable, spectacular, impressive, striking, astonishing, shocking...
PabloHoneyOle
Scrumpciously Homoerotic?
Kamahl
im getting it today, i called the store and they said they would have it in about 3 hours...

it sounds too good, i want to play it now... i just hope that no one interrupts me when im playing it =/ BTW, how are the puzzles so far?
bOnEs
one was a head scratcher so, very good indeed... i probably wont be playing tonight so, you might be where i am at by the time we talk here again tomorrow... your in for one hell of a treat during the first hour or so biggrin.gif... i hope you have an HDTV because, you won't fully appreciate what your seeing like you would if it was presented to you in stunning HD quality...

i don't want to say the graphics blow uncharted 2 away but, it's just simply amazing to take it all in... it's definitely the best the PS3 has to offer...
TheAnalogKid2112
Shit bOnEs, why do you have to make is sound so awesome? Hollywood Video better have this shit for rent.. I'm still set on Just Cause 2 being my game purchase cause I haven't bought a game since November and it seems like there would be way more replayability... but damn you're making it a hard choice hahaha. Fuck it, if I can't rent it I'll just buy them both. Who needs to pay rent anyway?
bOnEs
QUOTE (TheAnalogKid2112 @ Mar 17 2010, 06:41 PM) *
Shit bOnEs, why do you have to make is sound so awesome? Hollywood Video better have this shit for rent.. I'm still set on Just Cause 2 being my game purchase cause I haven't bought a game since November and it seems like there would be way more replayability... but damn you're making it a hard choice hahaha. Fuck it, if I can't rent it I'll just buy them both. Who needs to pay rent anyway?

hey, i think there is more replay value in just cause 2 because it's a bigger world with the freedom to go anywhere... god of war III is a linear game, just like the uncharted series... you probably would have more fun with just cause but, RENT god of war III if you can... hell, buy it if you can swing the extra change but, it's surely worth a play biggrin.gif...

sandbox games to me always have more replay value... once you beat god of war once or a few times, your pretty much done with it IMO... yet, you can spend the amount of time it took you to beat GOWIII three times as it takes to traverse a sandbox game one and a half times... or less if it's a game like the saboteur, which consumes a lot of time with the side stuff...
Kamahl
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Mar 17 2010, 04:25 PM) *
one was a head scratcher so, very good indeed... i probably wont be playing tonight so, you might be where i am at by the time we talk here again tomorrow... your in for one hell of a treat during the first hour or so biggrin.gif... i hope you have an HDTV because, you won't fully appreciate what your seeing like you would if it was presented to you in stunning HD quality...

i don't want to say the graphics blow uncharted 2 away but, it's just simply amazing to take it all in... it's definitely the best the PS3 has to offer...

well, no sadly sad.gif

i didnt buy it, they were selling it for $90!! so i thought screw that and didnt get it... ill wait a couple of days until they get more copies, im sure theyll drop the price. In case you are wondering why the price is so high, its because these are not official stores, they import the game from the US and sell it so they can put it on sale for the price the way want.
bOnEs
well, that sucks tongue.gif... i ended up playing a little of it last night... i got a friend that's been itching to play this game so, we're only playing it when he comes over... we made it to the demo portion of the game and let me tell you what, just because i've played that section of the game a few times didn't mean i had the upper hand laugh.gif...

the demo teased you with weapons and magic that you don't have at that stage of the game... plus, the demo cut out a few different areas and also changed the whole flying portion of the game... when i traversed through there it was completely different... i recognized certain things but, it never felt the same biggrin.gif...
bOnEs
yea, i have to double post because no one else is posting (which surprises me TBH)... i've now fought and killed 4 gods and had sex with another *wink wink* biggrin.gif... the first god battle is still the best of the best but, the 4th one was pretty fucking cool too and is now the "second" best battle... instead of kratos looking to exact revenge on the gods like usual, this god wanted to exact revenge on him... and the reasoning if perfectly justified...

man, should i just spoil who the gods are that i am fighting?? i mean, you see all of them at the very beginning so, you know who your going to be fighting... my explanations of the battles would be more interesting if you knew who i was fighting laugh.gif...

but, now i'm about to fight one of the giant titans... and i got to be close to fighting zeus soon... i've gotten almost all of the powers so, i got to be near the end of the game... this game is just unbelievable... it sooooooo good...
TheAnalogKid2112
I wouldn't mind hearing the names.
Kamahl
got it today, havent played much yet, but i made a big mistake, i chose to play it on hard... even the damn first big battle is too hard.
Flea
I'm gunna buy this game when i get paid next week, but i havnt played GOW 1 or 2, do i need to play them to know whats going on in GOW3??
Whats the differance between a God and a Titan?
bOnEs
@flea - it sort of tells you what he did in the previous games but, it doesn't fully explain a lot of it... if you can, i would beat the other two first so, you understand more about kratos, the gods he's slayed, and his intentions... but, this game can be played by itself... as a matter of fact, if you played this one first, you might be more inclined to play the older ones after you beat the third... but if you can, i would play the older ones first...

titans were considered the elder gods, or the first gods... when the olympians showed up, they overthrew the titans in the "battle of the titans", which is what i'm pretty sure that new movie is about (i want to see it too, looks good)... i think that's how the story goes but, i'm not too refreshed on my greek mythology...

--------------------------------------------------

@anologkid - here's the gods you do battle with...

1st god: poseidon - fucking unbelievable battle!! still the best in the game...
2nd god: hades - the god of underworld... very satisfying battle...
3rd god: helios - the dude whose head you ripped off in the demo...
4th god: hermes - he's a lightning fast one... moves like a blur...
5th god: hercules - 2nd best battle, it turns into a colosseum-like battle... and he's pissed at the events of the first game... plus, he's kind of always been one of my favorite gods so, this is just epic for me...
6th god: aphrodite - not really a battle here, just a sex scene, lol... thought i'd mention that...
7th god: zeus - not sure if he's the 7th and final one but, it seems like i am close to the end, and zeus is the final one...

and that's all i've seen so far, with a couple of titan battles sprinkled into the game here and there... i gotta be near the end of the game though... i have all the powers now...

--------------------------------------------------

@ kamahl - lol, that first battle is very very epic, i can't imagine how hard it would be on a harder difficulty laugh.gif... it takes almost an hour it seems to fight him... i guess you could always turn the difficulty down and save that for when you've beaten the game already and know how to fight... even though that first battle is epic and a challenge, it's still a sort of tutorial level...
Kamahl
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Mar 20 2010, 12:24 PM) *
@ kamahl - lol, that first battle is very very epic, i can't imagine how hard it would be on a harder difficulty laugh.gif... it takes almost an hour it seems to fight him... i guess you could always turn the difficulty down and save that for when you've beaten the game already and know how to fight... even though that first battle is epic and a challenge, it's still a sort of tutorial level...

i beat it yesterday, what a great battle.

I decided to continue and im doing well, at least i know the game is going to last... but i hope it doesnt get much harder cause i dont want it to be frustrating....
bOnEs
ohh, it gets much harder for sure... there were some battles that had me pulling out my hair from dying so many times near the end of the battle... but, i've gotten pretty damn good at using the proper weapon for the situation... once you unlock a few weapons, remember to switch to them when the battles dictate it... i got those fists and those are extremely effective against the giant monsters you fight... but, those come a little later in the game... by then, the action should be off the wall...

i've got to be near the end though... i've unlocked all of the weapons now and i've been going through some pretty fucking tough puzzles too... i know i am near zeus, i got to be... me and my friend thought we were going to beat it last night but, it never happened... it was just battle rooms and puzzles for a few hours laugh.gif... we've logged about 13 hours into it so, this game does have some length to it but then again, we did die a lot...
angeal18
Holy shit. I just beat it and I have to say, This is the best PS3 game ive ever played. Everything about it is epic and those who aren't able to experience it will be missing out.
Kamahl
shit, ive only been able to play for a couple of hours... i hope im not busy tomorrow so i can finally play it like 5 hours straight
bOnEs
i didn't play this at all yesterday... i hope i can play some today... but, i might not be able to play for very long or at all because, i have a fantasy baseball draft later this evening...
Massacre
Fantasy baseball? Baseball in general? I'm sorry... Respect -5.
bOnEs
i don't give a fuck, i love baseball... it's my second favorite sport, behind the "real football" NFL...

EDIT: i called my friend, he's stopping by soon so, we're going to spend the afternoon trying to beat this game... i hope we accomplish the feat because, i want to see the conclusion to one of the greatest video game stories ever told, the story of kratos... plus, i want to rent batman: arkham asylum next biggrin.gif...

EDITv2: i beat it... those last few battle challenges were tough as nails... i died at least 10 times on one of them, i couldn't figure out the right weapon combination... but, that was one hell of a ride!! i got 50% of the trophies so, it definitely needs to be played a few times to unlock them all... there's even a titan mode... lol, i'm a little afraid of that one...

graphics... check...
story... check...
sound... check...
gameplay... check...
2010 GOTY... check??

there's still a ways to go for that last one but, it should at least get a nomination later this year...
Kamahl
beat it today biggrin.gif

GOTY in my opinion, i doubt ill play something else this good this year. Got 72% of the trophies and i doubt ill ever get platinum, titan mode is too hard for me, it doesnt let you make little mistakes. I couldnt even beat the second boss... The challenges are also hard but i think i can do it if i try a few times, already beat 3 and almost beat the cyclops one... Also, tips to get the 1000 hits combo one?
bOnEs
no clue man, no clue... i don't know how to get that combo thing... the best suggestion i have is when you get the electric blades, to use them in a massive battle... you can put together some mad combos with that weapon... i think the best one i had was a 230-something combo with that weapon...

and the reason why i only got 50% of the trophies is because of my casual gaming friend who missed a lot of chests when he was playing... i'd tell him to go back and get that chest and he'd say, "fuck it" mad.gif... so, the only skill i maxed out was the magic one... that's two silver trophies we missed out on because of his ignorance... also, we never got enough orbs to max out all the weapons... and we missed about 4 of the godly possessions... we didn't miss any when i was playing biggrin.gif...

i would strongly consider renting this again just to play through it one more time and get some of the trophies that we easily missed... but i agree, fuck the titan mode... it was hard enough on normal biggrin.gif...
Kamahl
i got a 400 combo with the second weapon using just the L1 + O attack, it doesnt kill, just kind of confuses the enemies and you can repeat, and repeat and repeat... the problem is that it can take a while and when i failed at 400 i said fuck it... and didnt try again, i guess it can be done that way but i was looking for an easier way.

I think i found all the horns, eyes and feathers cause i maxed out everything before the labyrinth and also ended up with over 50k unused red orbs. I only need 3 godly possessions i missed...
DiO
Friend brought the game over and I played the first while of it. Fucking hell.
bOnEs
you gonna go rent it now? that first battle is enough to hook any gamer into playing GOWIII...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.