Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: L.A. Noire
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Other Gaming > Rockstar Games
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
DuPz0r
Just found something new on LA Noire.

Game Informer:
Rockstar Games is known for its ambitious projects, and L.A. Noire proves that the company’s reputation is safe. While the rumblings about the game have been heard for years, our world exclusive cover story is the only place you’ll be able to get concrete information on the gritty crime epic. Over the course of our 10-page feature we look at the game’s astonishing reconstruction of 1947 Los Angeles and learn how the team took on such a massive undertaking. We also talk to the team to see L.A. Noire’s groundbreaking facial-animation system in action, and learn how it might change the way we look at games from now on.

Joystiq:
At long last, the never-ending mystery of whether Rockstar's "gritty detective tale," L.A. Noire, will be a multiplatform release has ... well, ended. And in a pretty unspectacular way, to boot -- in the comments section of a Game Informer post teasing the magazine's in-depth print preview of L.A. Noire, editor Matthew Kato explained, "It's not a PS3-exclusive," later adding, "it was at one point, but it's coming out for the PS3 and 360." (We've contacted Rockstar to verify this apparent reveal.)

Now, we won't know whether this news is worth getting excited about until Game Informer's preview hits newsstands. We're getting tentatively pumped, though -- but that's only because of our pure, unswerving love of fedoras. Seriously, we can't get enough of 'em.

So, sounds like another PS3 exclusive just got un-exclusive'D. But that's good news for 360 owners i guess. I'm interested to read more about this game. I like the detective/mafia gang narrative in games. Hopefully this will be a great game!
ViceMan
Although multi-platforming has its benefits, a console exclusive game can be honed and focused, taking advantage of that console's strong points. But meh, whatever, probably won't be getting it because I don't tend to buy games that are new and unknown to me. Same with Agent, same with RDR.
asthenia
A screenshot, finally! Shame it's not exclusive though. The PS3 has so much more of an advantage when games are tailor made for it, and it's not size restricted by the FagBox.. (Yes, I own a 360 too, fuck off fanboys, before you even start.)
DuPz0r
Yeah first screeny lol. I expect thisgame to do well, it being a R* game and all. I feel R* have really stepped up the game in this generation and have been announcing loads of top titles.
asthenia
Shit yeah... and this has pretty much been in production since before me or you were even born. So it HAS to be good.
DiO
Bit moar info.

L.A. Noire Revealed
Rockstar looks to raise the bar and change the way we view open-world games.
by Hilary Goldstein
LATEST VIDEO
View all 2 videos

February 6, 2010 - In the March 2010 issue of Game Informer (on stands this month), the first real details of L.A. Noire are revealed. Developed by Team Bondi (The Getaway), L.A. Noire is an open-world action-adventure game set in the City of Angels in 1947. Unlike previous Rockstar efforts, L.A. Noire exists in a real city, painstakingly recreated for historical accuracy. Don't expect the "shoot everyone" mentality of a Grand Theft Auto title -- this is something completely different.

You play as Cole Phelps, a beat cop looking to clean up the streets of L.A. It won't be easy, seeing as how the L.A. police force is mired in corruption from top to bottom. Phelps has his own issues to deal with, including some very bad things he did in World War II. Though he starts low on the totem pole, over the course of L.A. Noire Phelps progresses through a series of "desks" in the department, including traffic, vice and, ultimately, homicide.

As a detective, you have to solve cases through a mixture of investigations, interviews and interrogations. According to the article in GI, when you come across a scene, you won't find highlighted items sitting in obvious places. Crime scenes are said to look natural and require a deft eye to spot important clues. See a pair of glasses on the ground of a supposed murder scene and you can pick them up, noting details such as the brand etched on the inside of the frame. These little bits of information are jotted down on your notepad, which can be brought up at any time.

Things get a little more interesting in regards to the interview system. Team Bondi is using revolutionary technology that could change the way games are made. The new facial motion capturing system sets actors alone in a giant room with cameras all around. In full make-up, the actor delivers their dialogue. Every facial moment is recorded, from the most exaggerate of motions to the slightest twitch of an eye. The dialogue is recorded at this time as well, creating a seamless scene. All of this is then translated into a 3D game landscape with no animators needed. The result? According to GI, it's a picture-perfect rendering of the actor's scene. That's important to the gameplay.

When you interview someone, you'll need to watch their face and determine if they're lying. Like Mass Effect, your dialogue choices come from a handful of general options: coax, accuse or force. The way you handle an interview or interrogation is greatly determined by the reactions you get from the suspect. You can also refute testimony by selecting clues from your notebook.

Unfortunately, GI wasn't shown any of the gunplay, so the set-up for the action sequences is still a mystery.

You can read more details on the demo in the latest issue of Game Informer.

http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1067305p1.html

The face shit kinda sounds like what they did for heavenly sword.
OptimumPx
Since the game takes place in LA in 1947 I wonder if the Black Dahlia murder will play a role in the story...
asthenia
QUOTE (OptimumPx @ Feb 8 2010, 08:00 AM) *
Since the game takes place in LA in 1947 I wonder if the Black Dahlia murder will play a role in the story...

I actually tried to "like" that comment... too much fucking time on Facebook.
PabloHoneyOle
I'm glad this wasn't a PS3 exclusive. Sony can suck my 1947 sack. Also, I heard that "Noire" is a typo that Rockstar just decided to run with.

I am excited about this game, even though we probably won't see it until March/April of next year.
bOnEs
it's said to be rumored for a september release...
alooper21
rockstar seems to take too many ideas from other devs.

i was impressed by the hype over the drug minigame in chinatown wars until i discovered it in scarface. now this dialogue thing in la noire, wich i've seen anyway in dreamfall: the longest journey and perfected/expanded in mass effect.

what rockstar brought into gaming is guts, otherwise they don't put the player to too much thinking...
SirPsychoSexy
@Stoic (and others about the Black Dahlia murder)

I don't know about the typo-thing, but as you might know, Noire is the feminine form of black in french. (Although, since L.A is masculine form, it should be L.A Noir).
Connection to the Black Dahlia murder perhaps?
Although as it says in bold text, "The Dark Heart of Los Angeles".
PabloHoneyOle
Who knows? I'm hoping it has a Black Dahlia feel to it. Anyway, I read an article somewhere that said Noire was supposed to be spelled Noir, but when it was released to the press, the typo included the "e" on the end. So wah-lah.

This game is totally off the radar for me. Especially with RDR coming out next month.
SirPsychoSexy
I edited my first post, so you might have missed it, but Noire is the feminine form, and Los Angeles, in spanish at least, is the masculine form. Don't know how you treat the language barriers, but it seems as if though L.A Noir without the E would be the correct form.
Jeff Threat
I am very much looking forward to this game
ViceMan
QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Apr 5 2010, 09:18 PM) *
This game is totally off the radar for me. Especially with RDR coming out next month.

Same. I don't think i'll get this. Although I originally wasn't going to get RDR... Heh. Time will tell.

Info on this and Agent seems to be very scarce at the moment, I don't know which one I would prefer out of the two. Secretive espionage vs. hands-on detective work. Hmm... tough one.
Marney1
Love the look of this but I don't think I'll be able to press the eject button when RDR is in there. I'll still get it though.
ThomasH
New details guys! smile.gif

The Dutch all-round gaming magazine named ‘Chief’ had the chance to check out L.A. Noire.

We’ve gathered all the interesting new details and you can check them out below.

The scans are included as well for all you visual people.

* L.A. Noire is not a “Gta1947, Mafia II” game. There isn’t a game like this released yet, thus you can’t compare it.
* The game does include a lot of actions, car chases and shoot outs.
* Instead of taking out your gun, you will take out your notepad.
* In a conversation with another person you have to see trough them to check out if they are telling the truth. Thanks to the ‘revolutionary’ facial animation system this is one of the biggest things in the game.
* You can inspect houses of suspects and check everything out, from mirrors to steel pipes, all kinds of objects.
* The crime scenes are based of real Los Angeles crime scenes back in ‘47.
* You’ll have to work your way up in a world full of lies, corruption and hidden agenda’s.
* The world is a authentic 40’s Los Angeles and everything in the world seems ‘right’. Nothing will hold you back to experience Los Angeles in 1947 to the fullest.
* Core of the game: “Lone guy against the world fighting the good fight”
* Rockstar ends with: “There is a enough mediocre crap in the industry, we want to try something different.”.

Team Bondi on their Facial Animation system;

Standard motion capture just wasn’t going to cut it according to Team Bondi boss: McNamara.

Using a complex technology with 32 camera’s we were enable to transfer the actor’s animation directly into the game.

During our presentation to Rockstar Games we had to move with the camera’s real-time to show them that everything they were watching was actually in game and not pre-rendered.
0bs3n3
Team Bondi. Not too keen on that, as typically Aussie movie/games offerings (apart from BioShock) have been mediocre at best. Just don't have the money nor the experience...though I'm sure R* chose them for a reason.
ViceMan
Seems like it's going to be a cross of Grim Fandango and GTA. I might get it, i'll have to wait and see.
PabloHoneyOle
Yeah, without a release date, this might as well be Duke Nukem Forever.

I'll get more excited when this materializes and goes gold, and we have a release date.
bOnEs
i'm still interested in this game... since it's probably coming out later this year, i'm sure i'll be ready for it by then... but, if new vegas comes out before it then, nevermind... i won't buy any games after new vegas for at least a few months... i know i'll be playing new vegas through a few times before i even touch any other game...

but, i like the sound of this game... to me, it's like a cross between sam & max (the detective part) and mafia (the 40's scene)... but, without the point/click of sam & max, and without the mob story from mafia... did that make sense? huh.gif...

is this game going to be freeroam?? that would completely add to the whole experience, being able to drive to the suspects houses to interrogate them... or to return to the scene of the crime to look for more clues... to follow up on some evidence you found, like a wrench that was used as the murder weapon... you could go to a hardware store and question the clerk, shit like that...

this game really sounds like it's been building on the hype it laid out years ago... maybe it took this long for video game technology to catch up to the ideas team bondi had for this massive title... hence the long delay...
JamieMilne
is it a sandbox game ? freeroam
SirPsychoSexy
QUOTE (JamieMilne @ May 31 2010, 03:28 AM) *
is it a sandbox game ? freeroam

Probably, don't think it's known but I think pretty much any game coming from R* now will be sandbox.
DuPz0r
New Screens:

nobody posted any, so...
bOnEs
those are sweet... the graphics look really good, and it's probably not even polished yet...
SirPsychoSexy
Looks fantastic! Nice find DuPz0r! I'm so getting this game when it comes out. R* has me around their little finger, with IV, the Episoeds and RDR and all, and now this! Agent seems exciting too even though we know nothing about it and it's PS3 exclusive, and the next GTA, I can't wait for it, I'm really hoping for an announcement on the Press Conference in two hours but I'm expecting to get shot down. For some reason though I'm having problems getting over that Noire is set in L.A and not L.S...
ViceMan
It seems R* are broadening the GTA-style games and just changing the names so people don't jump to conclusions. RDR = GTA 1910, Agent = GTA - 1950/60 and L.A. Noire = GTA 1940. That's not a bad thing though.
asthenia
It's just Sanbox gaming, and they're the best at it. And people are jumping to conclusions; you just did.

RDR = GTA 1910, Agent = GTA - 1950/60 and L.A. Noire = GTA 1940.

Not picking a fight though; if Agent and this are Sandboxes, than that is pretty much what they're doing. Even though Team Bondi aren't strictly R*, yet...

Like you said though, it's no bad thing. As long as they keep making games, I'll keep buying. They're the only developer I ever look forward to games from anyway. Oh, and Media Molecule.
DiO
QUOTE (Asthenia @ Jun 10 2010, 06:49 AM) *
Not picking a fight though; if Agent and this are Sandboxes

They prolly are. LA Noire sure as hell looks like one.
SirPsychoSexy
@DuPz0r: Where did you find those screens? Can't find them anywhere else...
asthenia
QUOTE (DiOtard @ Jun 11 2010, 04:57 PM) *
QUOTE (Asthenia @ Jun 10 2010, 06:49 AM) *
Not picking a fight though; if Agent and this are Sandboxes

They prolly are. LA Noire sure as hell looks like one.

QUOTE ("CVG - Link Below")
It's a bit Heavy Rain meets Mafia; as well as the regular sandbox stuff you'll also go about solving cases through a mixture of investigation, interviews and interrogations.

Woohoo! I genuinely didn't think L. A. Noire was going to be Sandbox. The screens seem too good looking to have the Sandbox element, you know? The Modern Warfare effect. Beautiful, but linear as fuck.

Here's the link, thanks to that SmC guy... CVG L. A. Noire article.
DuPz0r
If this game gets even more interesting, i think Psy might have to add another game to his iGTA web database biggrin.gif It will be interesting to see how this game pans out in the next 6 months at least...
TwoFacedTanner
Gamestop had the release date set for 9/1. Of course its changed to 11/1 now, which I know arent real dates.

Im looking forward to it, but since there is so little information about it, almost no point in getting excited.
ViceMan
What with the hype before the release of RDR then the sudden loss of interest after its release i'm anticipating the same will happen to both this and Agent. Do either of these games have an MP element to them or are they strictly SP?
TwoFacedTanner
Most likely single player.

I mean, in Noire, it'd be neat to have another player as your partner going around helping you, or maybe a four to six play beat cop mode...or something.
After RDR's multiplayer...no sir...Im looking for something more refined that'll bored the hell out of all those ten year olds and/or squeaky voiced adolescents who saturate the map being dickholes because...man fuck! I wish I could go Ghost Dad on their asses...you know, reach through the mic and choke em.

Man there I am getting off topic again.

I mean, everytime I drop by this thread I get a bit excited for it, I remember reading the things like every pedestrian's face is modeled after someone; I think its the actual actor that voices the ped, so maybe we'll have some interesting looking folks walking around.

But I don't know anything about Agent.
SirPsychoSexy
Honestly, I don't see this coming out this year as said. D*mn R* and all their delayes...
DuPz0r
Probably not. But I'm not anticipating this game too much right now. I'm sure i can wait if it looks and plays nicer when they finally do release it.
SirPsychoSexy
Totally agreed. But I think this is my next buy, and I don't buy games too often. Well, guess I'll have to do with FIFA 10 and maybe some RDR, GTA IV and EfLC til it comes out...
DuPz0r
I'm going to be renting Mafia 2, but that wont have anything on this I'm thinking. Even though this is not a Mafia set game.
SirPsychoSexy
Yeah I was thinking about Mafia II as well, got me kind of excited actually. But then I played the demo and it didn't seem all that great so I'm not getting it unless I find it really cheap or something. But L.A Noire is my next buy, I'm sure. I've haven't played GTA IV in a while since the disk broke a while ago, but I got a new one today so I'm on that again I think...

This fall I'm moving though, so I'll be without my 360 for a couple of months, so it doesn't bother me if L.A Noire doesn't come out before christmas really...
DuPz0r
Yeah that's reason i aint buying Mafia II. Because I'm moving in the next couple of weeks. Can't afford it.
DuPz0r
Yeah, so L.A. Noire is being delayed to first half of 2011 as expected....
bOnEs
interest slowly disappearing... fading away... gone...

hype machine has been fully depleted and will only start filling up once a concrete date is set... everything else i hear from now until then will be treated without a glance... don't care anymore... i'm sick of the delays and i just want to forget about it until it nears a release date, if there even is going to be one...
DuPz0r
The hype will settle until we get a full trailer imo.
TreeFitty
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 5 2010, 10:10 AM) *
The hype will settle until we get a full trailer imo.

which will be this thursday
Massacre
Meh.

I'll be waiting for an epic price drop, unless it has, like, the best preorder/collector's edition swag ever.
Marney1
Now this new technology being used by Rockstar/Team Bondi really is something to get excited about! It's called MotionScan and in the case of L.A. Noire will allow players to interact with their in-game characters (suspects & witnesses) like never before by revealing every line, wrinkle and expression which will aid you in extracting the infomation you'll need to solve the crimes of 1947 Los Angeles.

For months and months actors have been taking their turn to sit in the middle of a room surrounded by 32 high definition cameras with the intention of creating amazing fully textured 3D models which will come to life on your screen.

Lets make this simple...

The actor sits in this chair...

He/she is then turned from this...

Into this...

John Davison of GamePro had the chance to see first hand the process of this groundbreaking technology.
The most impressive thing I saw at E3.
Qdeathstar
how many games are single platform these days? I mean, portal was, but its not anymore... portal2 launching with the ps3. So exclusitivity is out the window unless your talking first party games. I actually subscribe to gameinformer, but didn't get my magazine ?.?
Marney1
QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Nov 9 2010, 10:30 PM) *
how many games are single platform these days? I mean, portal was, but its not anymore... portal2 launching with the ps3. So exclusitivity is out the window unless your talking first party games. I actually subscribe to gameinformer, but didn't get my magazine ?.?

L.A. Noire will be available on PS3 and Xbox 360.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.