Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HEAVY RAIN
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Other Gaming > Other Games
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
bOnEs

"Heavy Rain is a cinematic and evolving thriller from Quantic Dream, the developer behind the critically acclaimed Fahrenheit. Dealing with a range of adult themes, the game revolves around a sophisticated plot and strong narrative threads that explore a complex moral proposition. You assume the role of multiple characters, with very different backgrounds, motivations and skills, in a world shaped by Bending Storylines - a dynamic narrative design where your actions and decisions will shape your story."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

i thought i'd start a topic for this game since it's coming out in a few weeks... i was planning on getting it before R* announced the episodes of liberty city were coming to the PS3 next month mad.gif... now, i can't get it due to my gaming budget... maybe i might try to work something out in that department... but, i did play the demo and fucking loved it!! i've only been blown away by one other demo this generation and it was batman: arkham asylum... and i still haven't bought that yet either (go figure)...

the demo will be released to the public this thursday i do believe... however, if you play a little detective game, you can get your hands on the demo right now... kotaku has all the details you will need, in case you can't solve the puzzle (like me)...

http://kotaku.com/5464839/want-the-heavy-r...ow-%5Bupdate%5D

but, you can just go to this website to sign up and play the game...

http://www.precinct52.com/case1117_briefing

like i said, the demo was pretty fun... it gives you a good synopsis of how the game will be played, a sort of tutorial on how to control and interact with the environment... it left me wanting to play more than just a couple of chapters laugh.gif... the download will take a while, it's almost two gigs... i played through the chapters twice and approached the objectives in a different way and got some noticeable dialog differences, camera angles, and various other additional tweaks... not a bunch of differences but, i can tell that there will be a lot more of that in the actual game itself... i won the fight the first time and purposely lost the fight the second time... it was kind of cool to see the scenes play out a little different the second time...

check it out and see what you think... i've been really interested in this game for some time because of it's unique and different approach to playing a game... a sort of interactive movie where you feel like the director biggrin.gif...

EDIT: and yes, the rumors are true... these graphics rival uncharted 2 for best in the biz... i was stunned at what i was seeing...
DiO
They probably save power of the PS3 because it has simplistic game play. It doesn't have to worry AI acting interactively with players actions and what not. Hence, good graphics. I'm a little skeptical of this game. I just don't know how fun its actually going to be. I don't pay 70 bucks to watch a movie. I'm gonna try and get that demo
Flea
Could be an interesting game, but the voice acting is pretty bad, could let it down since its all about story.
ENVi3
i played the demo, and i was kind of impressed.
I say kind of because I am not sure I would like to do that kind of game play for some hours, and I would definitely not want to replay the game doing mostly the same thing, but with a few differences to get new endings.
I thought the controls were set up pretty well, except for walking because if you have your left stick at rest and want to turn left you can't do it in a fluid motion unless you push your stick the way you are going and then rotate it to the direction you want to go (its just something a little minor).
The story was interesting, and it seems like a nice mellow game to play since you aren't expected to do too much, and you can just sit back and enjoy the story.
I kind of wish there was some sort of hint system, because in the demo I found myself just walking around sometimes .. and I figure maybe later on in the real game that might get a little dull.

Overall, I think it seems like a good game but maybe not great, where you can get into it and play it all the time. It is definitely worth a rental to at least play through it once.
Kamahl
i dont understand how to get the demo, someone help me please... i cant make it work...
DiO
QUOTE (Kamahl @ Feb 6 2010, 06:45 PM) *
i dont understand how to get the demo, someone help me please... i cant make it work...

http://kotaku.com/5464839/want-the-heavy-r...ow-%5Bupdate%5D

This tells you which evidence you need to pick up.
Kamahl
yep, i read that but it also says it will only work for EU accounts so i was looking for the US thing and i cant find it, ill just try with this one and see if it works
DiO
I got a code but it didn't work.
DuPz0r
I was wondering when someone would post a thread on this one. I may rent it, but i don't think I'm brave enough to buy it...

I got my code. Just about to try it smile.gif
DiO
One of you Euro trash fucks try my code

3688 ARBR 8P6L
ENVi3
i got it to work and i have a NA account ... first register here http://heavyrainps3.com/registration/signup/en_US (if you already used an e-mail on the EU site you will need to use another one)
then go to the http://www.precinct52.com/ and enter the evidence.
The Awesome One
Is it on xbox?
DuPz0r
I downloaded it, got it to work. And this is my impression:

First off i thought hmm... is this going to be a button pressing video sequence all the way through. But almost straight away i was happy to know that you get to walk the characters around and interact with different objects like a normal game. The button pressing feels pretty natural and easy to get in to. I actually really like the style of this game, it has a nice book/movie narrative, but still has essential gaming elements. If i were to relate it to an existing game i think it more or less feels like Resi evil/Silent hill in terms of the way you have to look around and find clues and things.
The graphics are really impressive, obviously because of the lack of gaming elements, it gives them more headway to make it look good.

So will i buy it...

Hmm this is the hard bit, because before i played the demo, i wouldn't have. But now, i think it has the potential to being a great and new experience. But, i don't have a lot of money right now and there are many games i would like to buy, so for me... for now, it'll just be a rent.

And after all, how many different outcomes or endings could there be? Will it be very long? Will you get bored and not want to play it after the first completion...?
bOnEs
for those that can't get the code to work, try signing up with a different email account... i had to do that because, the first code wouldn't work for me...

not sure how long it is going to be... my guess would be 15 hours... but, i found the detective work to be quite fun... and each character sort of plays a little differently... the PI asks a lot of questions and the FBI agent looks for clues... i'm not sure what your going to do with the sexy reporter madison, or the guy who lost his kid... but apparently, you get to cut off on of your fingers with that guy from the trailer biggrin.gif...

i'm like you dup, it doesn't really fit into the budget right now... maybe i should rent it as well... but, with multiple endings, it'd be hard not to play it again to see something different... but, i wanted to try out the demo a long time ago when it was announced because, i wanted to see how an interactive movie worked... and i think it works brilliantly...
ENVi3
QUOTE (Kaptain.Kuntz @ Feb 7 2010, 02:27 AM) *
Is it on xbox?

No. The 360 wouldn't be able to handle it.
Ex-PS Fanboy
I'm still unsure. It definatly has potential, but if it's lacking some gameplay elements I'm not sure it will keep me entertained, plus I still have to get all the alternate endings on Last Raven, so I don't want to spend my time playing through all the alternate endings on this one as well.
PabloHoneyOle
This game looks kind of boring, but beautiful.

I think people are only going to buy it to take showers and spank to.
TreeFitty
QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Feb 8 2010, 12:28 PM) *
This game looks kind of boring, but beautiful.

^that^

The graphics are great, the movie-style camera is cool, choice interactions with people. Just not a whole lot else. Walk around and touch things to make the guy say something. Fighting was interesting.
Jimothey
I have just downloaded the demo from the PSN, and after getting used to the controls, especially when you have to hold down pretty much all the buttons simultaniously, the gameplay is really good. I can find myself getting really drawn into this game.

I wonder what the trophies will be, if you have to complete the game multiple times to see different endings.
bOnEs
you could probably surf the net and find the trophies list... i recall seeing leaked trophy lists last week... i remember someone saying you got a trophy for getting through the whole story with all 4 characters still alive... so, i'm guessing that it's going to take multiple playthrough's if your going for a platinum...

i'm working something out right now to where i could possibly get this... i still have a meijer $25 gift certificate (massacre is probably the only one who knows what meijer's is laugh.gif) and if i can set aside like $20 in the next couple of weeks then, i'll only need to pony up $15... the reviews i am reading on this game are phenomenal!! i'm getting really excited about this game...
Kamahl
the game is getting very good scores ( IGN gave it a 9.0), i really want to try it out, but my PS3 is pretty much dead and i dont wanna turn it on, cause if it dies completely before i get my new one, i wont be able to transfer my files.
DiO
The demo was actually very cool.
0bs3n3
Dude. I saw a video of the demo. Fight scene in the hotel room sold me.

When is it out?
TheAnalogKid2112
Yeah, the demo kicks major ass. I didn't play much of it, just the first "scene". I'm pretty much set on buying it.
GLC
Downloading the demo right now.
0bs3n3
25th of February for Australia... Bastards better not ruin the storyline for me (although my storyline will probably be different from yours now won't it tongue.gif)
ENVi3
it's funny how much a turnaround people had on their thoughts on the game after they played the demo tongue.gif
0bs3n3
QUOTE (ENVi3 @ Feb 14 2010, 03:12 PM) *
it's funny how much a turnaround people had on their thoughts on the game after they played the demo tongue.gif

I haven't played the demo yet. The bit in the apartment looked pretty fun but I'm not too sure about the detective bit, then again according to IGN the game does start of slow.
bOnEs
QUOTE (ENVi3 @ Feb 13 2010, 11:12 PM) *

...and this was one of those games that really should have released a demo... no one was quite sure what this game was... and i had an idea but, i wanted to see it in action biggrin.gif... it delivered what i thought it was and that's an interactive movie... a movie that you felt like you had control over... and critics and reviewers are astonished at what they're playing...

i am buying this but, trading it in towards the "episodes" of liberty city in late march biggrin.gif... that's enough time to play through it a couple of times, or more, and see what the game has to offer...
DiO

For sure. I need a job
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE (D-O @ Feb 15 2010, 11:15 AM) *

For sure. I need a razor

Ex-PS Fanboy
I'm sold. Something this beautiful is worth my money
bOnEs
i am desperately trying to fit this in my budget right now... i am almost thinking about sacrificing the saboteur towards a trade-in... and I DON'T WANT TO!!! sneaky2.gif... i like to keep the games i fucking loved playing so i can play them again...

*shakes a fist at rockstar games for the episodes in march*

EDIT: *shakes another fist for having to edit every fucking post!!!*
OptimumPx
Am I the only person who can't stand the controls in this game? I don't like the all the time quick time events and I hate how the walking controls.

Like the bit in the demo where you squeeze past that dumpster...if you mess up the damn quick time event he goes right back out and you have to start it the fuck over.

...that and the pre-set camera angles while walking indoors annoys me...I hated it on the PS1 and I still hate it on the PS3.
bOnEs
i think the controls work, personally... it feels different and rightly so because, this game is just different period... i am still not sure if i am getting it... i don't have the money right now... maybe next week or something, we'll see... but, not this week...
Ex-PS Fanboy
Yeah, I ended up wasting my money on Pot and PS Money. When does this come out anyway?
bOnEs
tomorrow... so yea, it's right around the corner biggrin.gif...
TheAnalogKid2112
Changed my mind about this game. Played it not baked out of my mind and wasn't interested at all.
bOnEs
i think i might rent this game instead... not sure if i have an outstanding bill waiting for me at hollywood video (haven't been there in years) but, if i am gonna play this, i think i just need to rent it... maybe it'll be something to get for the weekend... and if i want to play through it again, i'll just rent it again i guess...
Massacre
Despite how much I've seen of this game, I have no idea what it's about. I'm going to pass on this one, but one of you guys should tell me if it's good anyway.
Marney1
Just downloaded the demo. smile.gif
bOnEs
i just rented it at family video... the only copy left, THANK GOD i got there in time!! i'll have a mini review once i give this a good run through...
Edgecrusher
I played through the demo this evening. I thought the controls let it down quite a bit, but I don't know if that could be forgiven for the sake of the storyline. I'm not convinced enough by the demo to take the risk on it though tbh.
ENVi3
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Feb 23 2010, 12:39 PM) *
i just rented it at family video... the only copy left, THANK GOD i got there in time!! i'll have a mini review once i give this a good run through...
nice. i have also rented a copy of a game before they even put it out on the shelves at BB laugh.gif
i haven't checked my rental place, but i am sorta limited on time since mid-terms are coming up ....
trathen93
why is it that the U.S gets it before us in the UK and rest of europe. all in all this is considering the fact that the company who make it are based in france. arghhh. I want to play on it so much. roll on friday
Marney1
Just had a run through of the demo; first thoughts were "WTF is it with these controls?" I could'nt get out of the car for 2 minutes. After about 10 minutes though I was totally use to them and I think they work very well.
Like bOnEs I had a couple of run throughs and did things differently the second time round. Lost the fight in the first go and spoke to that detective at the railroad track before examining the area but second time round I left the bitch with the guy who beat me up and walked out, didn't even knock on the door.
So my second go at the crime scene I walked straight towards the reporter and questioned my thoughts on her; I kind of asked myself how they were so quick on the scene. Next I went under the tape and looked at all of the clues and tried getting up the embankment which was so slippy with wet mud I decided the killer didn't use that route to leave the scene. Maybe jumped on a passing train?
I then went over to the body at which point I hadn't even spoken to (or asked for) the detective and he spotted me and didn't seem too happy until I pulled my FBI badge out. I didn't ask him any questions at all this time and the characters thoughts on him were that he was a strange guy.

Anyway I could probably get used to the movement controls which at first seem a little slow but so is detective work. The demo allowed you to get an idea of how missing a clue or asking a question in the wrong way could affect the outcome of your investigation and also to remind you to listen carefully to everything that is being said and take a mental note of everything you see.
The demo is very short but I could probably write another few paragraphs of detail I noticed along the way such as the photographs/postcards on the fridge - Rome? May be nothing but I'll keep it in mind. A dog walker found the body - there were pictures of a dog in the apartment, once again it could be nothing.

I'll be getting this game because it's quite unique and I feel like I've already started it now. I don't think I'm going to play a crap game for at least the next few years, we're spoilt for choice.

Random pic.
bOnEs
played it and beat it yesterday... it took me 13 hours, with a few breaks sprinkled in between sessions... it's probably the most thrilling 13 hours i've ever spend playing a video game... and i am not totally sure this can be called a video game... it does allow you to explore for the most part but, actions are scripted and most of it consists of hitting a button at the right time when prompted to do so... other times, the game allows you to take your time exploring the environment and giving you the chance to try multiple ways of tackling an objective... but for the most part, it's a pretty linear game... and so are the QTE's (quick timed events)...

this was a THRILLER man!! i didn't want to put down the controller... the game moved along at a perfect pace and after each chapter, you kept getting pulled deeper and deeper into this world created by quantic dream... it took a couple of hours for the game to start rolling along... you spent the first couple of chapters learning the controls and walking ethan through a typical day in his life... then tragedy hits and the game throws you into the plot... you start to see the plot through the eyes of the characters involved and, it really does a tremendous job of making you feel for the characters as they try all they can to find the origami killer... and the situations you are placed in are sometimes wrong and sometimes right... and the action is just frantic and it feels chaotic... you feel for these characters lives as you try to press the right buttons... it's intense and left me on the edge of the couch all afternoon, especially during the fight scenes... i feared pressing the wrong button because, i somehow felt compassion for the character i was playing... i don't recall a video game ever doing that...

the plot... the plot was one of the best i've ever played through... i think the fact that there was such strong characters helped to drive the plot forward... you cared about these people and you wanted to make the right decisions for them... but, now that i've seen it all the way through, i can see numerous spots where any of the characters could have died... or other scenarios where i could of avoided lots of other troubles... i'm pretty sure the numerous other endings have to do with certain characters dying at certain points... and i am going to make it a point on my second playthrough to try and kill off some of these characters just to see how it changes the final chapters... you can clearly tell how much different the game will finish just by wondering what would happen if that character wasn't there for the finale...

i probably got the original, best scenario possible ending... all the characters lived, i saved the kid, and justice was served... but, i saw about a dozen things i could of done differently to change the outcome... unbelievable...

i need to stop talking before i spoil something... because, this game has to be played at least once through... if i can beat it in a day then, i suggest to rent it if your not willing to pay $60 for it... but, do keep in mind that there are numerous ways to change the outcome of the game... i rented it myself but, for 5 days... i plan on beating it once more before i renew the rental... then one more time before i return it for good... it was so fucking good that i want to see at least a few different outcomes...

9.5/10... yea, it's that damn good... the graphics were unbelievable too... there were times where i thought i was watching something on TV, it looks so realistic... sometimes its scary how good it looks...
Marney1
I think I'll get this game a keeper because it's just so original and intriguing, maybe there'll be more games like this to come and DLC's too. It's also a game I can sit down and play with my wife getting involved too instead of her listening to me shouting "fuck off" at the TV all the time when playing something on my own. She enjoyed helping me make decisions when I played the demo and was getting into the story as much as I was.
This game just seems so different to anything I've seen before and I hope there are more games to come like this. Fuck, I haven't even got the game yet and I want the next one.
bOnEs
there is planned DLC for this but, i probably won't play them unless i end up purchasing this game sometime in the future... supposedly one of them is an introduction to the origami killer... since i know who that is, i wonder just how they plan on tackling that one... and another confirmed one is a prequel for madison the journalist...

yea, this is a game i could see women playing... it's very emotional and makes you care for the characters involved... the decisions you make shape the story... and the story is that of a hollywood movie...

you'll have to make sure not to take a shower with madison when your wife is in the room laugh.gif... she gets naked a few times in the story but, supposedly its all up to you... she doesn't have to get naked but with me being a man, i had to make her strip every chance i got laugh.gif... she looks good too, err, for a video game character biggrin.gif... very sexy...
Marney1
For anyone intersted it's 37.73 at Amazon.

@bOnEs - I was a bit worried you were going to spoil something there but you managed to take your fingers off the keyboard in time. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.