Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it still possible to create a unique & original game?
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > General Discussion
Marney1
Do you think it is still possible to create a unique and original game (video game of course) or has everything been pretty much covered in the gaming world? Do you have any ideas which you'd like to see in the future? Maybe you think they're totally wacky ideas or just unlikely to appeal to the masses. Let's hear it.....
Spoiler
There isn't anything left, is there?can't think of anything.
ViceMan
It probably is possible to outline an original story, but when you delve deeper into certain plot elements they've all been covered; betrayal, sacrifice, honour, friendship etc. Which is why I think all FPS are the same.
Ex-PS Fanboy
We could make a fucked up game. Something like what they did with Noby Noby Boy
TreeFitty
I think a very disturbing/horrific/world-banned game is the only thing left to make. As said, just about every idea has been done. It's just a matter of picking a group of done ideas and making a "unique" story/plot.

Everytime I look at a new movie I think "The movie industry is running out of ideas." The game world isn't too far off. The fact that the player can make decisions is the only thing keeping games somewhat unique.
Hardcore Ottoman
Pre-conceived decisions as far as missions go. It's definitely possible to still make original games. It just will require either skill or luck.
Massacre
I believe the selection of indie games on Xbox Live Arcade and the PS Store show that there are plenty of unique ideas left, but none of them are coming from major companies.
Marney1
QUOTE (Massacre @ Feb 4 2010, 02:39 AM) *
I believe the selection of indie games on Xbox Live Arcade and the PS Store show that there are plenty of unique ideas left, but none of them are coming from major companies.

But they're more like side mission games you'd expect to see in a proper game.
0bs3n3
In terms of storyline, then not really. Gameplay, yes.
Psy
I'd like to see a wildlife survival sort of game. I love watching Bear Grylls and Survivor man, and it would be awesome if there was just some open world game set in a jungle or whatever where you could collect objects / plants / wood etc and make stuff like boats, fires, hunting spears, traps... bows etc. Dont really get how it would all work, but it would just be you on your own having to survive, and hunting animals etc for food. I guess it would have to be kind of linear because everything you could make would have to be pre-modelled and stuff, but I guess you could have to find all of the objects before you could make it. Kind of like Fallout 3 maybe.
ViceMan
QUOTE (Psy @ Feb 4 2010, 01:46 PM) *
...because everything you could make would have to be pre-modelled and stuff...

Well if you've ever played Spore you can design your own vehicles and buildings, it's a bit cartoony though, but it shows that custom content can easily be implemented into a game.
Marney1
I'd like to see a wildlife survival sort of game. I love watching Bear Grylls and Survivor man, and it would be awesome if there was just some open world game set in a jungle or whatever where you could collect objects / plants / wood etc and make stuff like boats, fires, hunting spears, traps... bows etc. Dont really get how it would all work, but it would just be you on your own having to survive, and hunting animals etc for food. I guess it would have to be kind of linear because everything you could make would have to be pre-modelled and stuff, but I guess you could have to find all of the objects before you could make it. Kind of like Fallout 3 maybe.

Tom Hanks in Cast Away comes to mind.
Hardcore Ottoman
Wilson!!!!!!!!

smile.gif

That idea is much too involved Psy. It would take a while to get it down just right. A while...
Marney1
Bumped for good reason:

Help Design A Playstation Game From Scratch

It's hardly a AAA game but at least it gives gamers the chance to put their ideas forward.
ViceMan
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Feb 18 2011, 09:42 PM) *
Bumped for good reason:

Help Design A Playstation Game From Scratch

It's hardly a AAA game but at least it gives gamers the chance to put their ideas forward.

I... I can't be bothered. *wheezes*
Heartless
My best idea for a game was, is and will always be about a guy who dies with his girlfriend during a car crash going to prom. Her body is donated to science, and he is never heard from again. He has become a zombie, and he spends the rest of eternity looking for her organs and body parts scattered across the universe. He can travel forward in time, since he's dead, and he can't die, and his ultimate goal is to rebuild his girlfriend so that they can spend the rest of time together.
Marney1
QUOTE (Heartless @ Feb 19 2011, 12:12 AM) *
My best idea for a game was, is and will always be about a guy who dies with his girlfriend during a car crash going to prom. Her body is donated to science, and he is never heard from again. He has become a zombie, and he spends the rest of eternity looking for her organs and body parts scattered across the universe. He can travel forward in time, since he's dead, and he can't die, and his ultimate goal is to rebuild his girlfriend so that they can spend the rest of time together.

What, like a zombie Fallout type of game?
Heartless
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Feb 18 2011, 07:18 PM) *
QUOTE (Heartless @ Feb 19 2011, 12:12 AM) *

What, like a zombie Fallout type of game?

Not at all. It would be open world/sandbox like many, many other games, but the core idea here is to travel through time and space collecting the remains of your dead lover. Some people still have them installed, others in medical depots, and others in weirder places. It would be very low on the violence level, more of a puzzle/mystery/adventure type. It would have a lot of style borrowed from Eraserhead and Dark City (and it's re-imagining the Matrix). You are the only zombie, and I use that term loosely. You're just undead.
Qdeathstar

Minecraft?

Also, I was going to say Portal is a unique and original game. But basically no its impossible since every game ever made has the same basic game play mechanic as pong did when it was first created.
DuPz0r
This is something me and my friends talk about all the time. "New and original" ideas come from picking bits from completely different themes and building a connection between them, no matter how rational, it always works. This is good for story idea's, but the concept works for any part of the design process.

People think original game ideas appear out of the blue, but it's all built on old ideas, always.
Marney1
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Feb 19 2011, 04:46 PM) *
This is something me and my friends talk about all the time. "New and original" ideas come from picking bits from completely different themes and building a connection between them, no matter how rational, it always works. This is good for story idea's, but the concept works for any part of the design process.

People think original game ideas appear out of the blue, but it's all built on old ideas, always.

That's why I think GTA is so appealing (especially San Andreas), they have a bit of everything thrown in. You've got the likes of Crazy Taxi, Pilot Wings etc. but who needs them when you can find them already in GTA?

I love adventure/mystery games and now that L.A. Noire and Sherlock Holmes are on the way things are looking up. Still love to see a modern day game that is so accurate you could walk up the driveway of your own house. Or shoot your neighbour's dog.
Heartless
Since I mentioned the Matrix, I think it needs to be said that movie redefined how we play games today. Which is interesting because all of the movie tie in games were retarded. These days, bullet time isn't even a staple, it's a requirement. People were so furious over not having it in Fallout that they built a mod to do it. So I guess inspiration can come anywhere. Personally, I'd sell my kidney to the person who gives me a Sims 3 mod that rebuilds Dark City/Matrix/City of Lost Children/City of Ember/Delicatessen. I love those types of cityscapes.
alooper21
i keep adding to that original game in my mind.

and it is possible, but it will be made when developers would think a little less at the easy target and a bit more at the purpose of the game.
Qdeathstar
Yeah, but in the end making games is about making money, so that is the purpose of the game.

What about playing the game in reverse biggrin.gif. That would be original. I'm thinking more along the lines of heavy rain than COD.
Severus Snape
QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Feb 20 2011, 09:39 AM) *
What about playing the game in reverse biggrin.gif. That would be original. I'm thinking more along the lines of heavy rain than COD.

One of the hitman games was done in a story line where you end up playing missions from a previous game in reverse. It was either Contracts or Silent Assassin that did this.
Qdeathstar
No, I'm talking about actually reverse real time.
Marney1
For some reason I remembered this advert going in reverse, thinking about it, it would have been funnier...

Actual reverse time? Back To The Future - Forward To The Past?
Massacre
100% in reverse would be pretty unique. In fact, it's going to be the premise for my new game: Fuck It: The Man Who Didn't Bother

You start the game in black and white, dead at the feet of a menacing boos, and the color slowly seeps back into the screen as you reverse-fall into a standing position. You point empty guns at dead bodies and shoot to pull the bullets from the bodies and back into your gun as you walk backwards through the level, pulling bullets from bodies and undoing clever puzzles, with reverse car chases and whatnot thrown in for reverse variety. All the cut scenes are played in reverse, and even the subtitles are backwards. You backwalk through the entire game, undoing a long, brutal shooter that ended at the hands of a boss you weren't tough enough to kill, until you reach the start of the game, seconds before you enter enemy territory. Your character thinks for a moment, then says "Fuck it," walks into a nearby bar, and order a drink. The credits roll while your character drinks his beer, with the game playing in fast forward on a TV in the background.
Marney1
How about a game where you're not not human. In fact, not resembling a human at all. You could be a bird and fly (obviously) around trying to catch insects in mid-air.............fuck it, silly idea, maybe a shark instead, you could sw.....

Hang on, got another one:

You get sucked into a giant computer and all the bugs and virus's are like real bugs and virus's only in robot form. Imagine ALIENS but in a computer.

Those ideas might sound like I'm joking but I'm not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.