Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Apple iPad
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > Geek Central
Pages: 1, 2
TreeFitty
No one has said anything special/amazing. I think this is really going to flop unless they are hiding something.
demon
QUOTE (Darth Sexy @ Jan 28 2010, 12:32 PM) *
QUOTE (Pieface @ Jan 28 2010, 09:12 PM) *
Good if you commute on public transport so you can go on the internet, or read books easier.

And, er, thats about it.

I'm still stuck in the paper age when it comes to books, and I have no intention of changing.

Me too. I prefer real books. Virtual pages can't replace real pages.
0bs3n3
Yeah I'm still not sure what it's used for. It looks far too small to have any decent processing power, so you couldn't do work on it. It doesn't make phone calls.

So basically it's just a glorified e-book (I still prefer paper books) with the added bonus of being a web reader? I really don't see me having much use for this, if at all. Like honestly, if I caught public transport, maybe. But then again, it is what $500? 500 dollar e-book on the bus, no thankyou. I really had to cringe when I saw the gimmicky turn page thing where you slid your hand across the screen.

Anyway, incoherent argument aside: Still not convinced it is any more than a giant iPhone.
Edgecrusher
iHate it. Lower spec for more money, just in fancier clothing. Definately Apple.
Marney1
It's not made for use while on a train or something that's what the iPod is for, the iPad is just a big iPod for use round the house.
TreeFitty
Yeah that's all I really see this being used for is around the house. Move around, go outside, watch some videos, etc. nothing "great".
Marney1
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Jan 30 2010, 06:56 PM) *
Yeah that's all I really see this being used for is around the house. Move around, go outside, watch some videos, etc. nothing "great".

I got my wife an iPod Touch Christmas '08 and it's always by her side so it's probably something that wouldn't be a waste of money for me. Plus it would be better for me when she constantly tells me to "Look at this" and I have to lean over and put the iPod on the end of my nose.
TreeFitty
Start saving then. tongue.gif
Marney1
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Jan 30 2010, 07:17 PM) *

I'll buy one on my business account so I can tell the tax man it was for business use. Tax deductable. wink.gif
Ex-PS Fanboy
I have an iPhone that I use for everything and I still wouldn't bother with this.
TreeFitty
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Jan 30 2010, 02:23 PM) *
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Jan 30 2010, 07:17 PM) *

I'll buy one on my business account so I can tell the tax man it was for business use. Tax deductable. wink.gif

If I had a reason to want this thing I would probably do the same. biggrin.gif
ViceMan
These always make me laugh. Was watching a load of 'em last night.
TreeFitty
"It sounds like a fucking tampon!"

roll2.gif that video was awesome
Marney1
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Jan 30 2010, 08:22 PM) *
"It sounds like a fucking tampon!"

roll2.gif that video was awesome

There was a woman on SkyNews last night who was complaining it was offensive to women (the name iPad) and then had to explain why because the others in the studio didn't know what she meant. tongue.gif
Edgecrusher
QUOTE ("marney1")
It's not made for use while on a train or something that's what the iPod is for, the iPad is just a big iPod for use round the house.

Sorry, I should've been more specific, I meant in comparison to a Netbook, not an iPod.
Pieface
QUOTE (t1nyt3rr4h @ Jan 30 2010, 09:54 AM) *
iHate it. Lower spec for more money, just in fancier clothing. Definately Apple.

Lower Spec than what? =/
TreeFitty
QUOTE (Pieface @ Jan 30 2010, 05:27 PM) *

Lower Spec than what? =/

Something more useful of the same size?
Pieface
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Jan 30 2010, 10:28 PM) *
QUOTE (Pieface @ Jan 30 2010, 05:27 PM) *

Lower Spec than what? =/

Something more useful of the same size?

Someone will always find something more useful than others. I just want to know of something similar, with a cheaper price...
TreeFitty
a regular iPod touch. tongue.gif

I think this is the only thing of it's kind right now. Until other things come out that beat this to shit.
Edgecrusher
Yeah, a netbook. Take away the touchscreen and really, what else does it have in it's favour?
Pieface
QUOTE (t1nyt3rr4h @ Jan 30 2010, 10:46 PM) *
Yeah, a netbook. Take away the touchscreen and really, what else does it have in it's favour?

Why do people insist on comparing these with Netbooks seriously? May as well compare netbooks to Laptops, and Laptops to Desktops if you're going down that route. The iPad is going down the multimedia route, whereas a netbook's are a micro-PC. And show me a netbook as thin, and as light as an iPad.
Edgecrusher
Because I was talking about the actual abilities of the device, not cosmetic characteristics like how thin it is. Besides, Netbooks, Laptops and yes, Desktop PCs are all multimedia devices and have all the specs of this iPad, and in most cases better and at a cheaper price (touchscreen notwithstanding, as already mentioned). Hell even a PSP can compare to this and, you guessed it, at a lower price.
Pieface
QUOTE (t1nyt3rr4h @ Jan 31 2010, 01:04 AM) *
Because I was talking about the actual abilities of the device, not cosmetic characteristics like how thin it is. Besides, Netbooks, Laptops and yes, Desktop PCs are all multimedia devices and have all the specs of this iPad, and in most cases better and at a cheaper price (touchscreen notwithstanding, as already mentioned). Hell even a PSP can compare to this and, you guessed it, at a lower price.

Tell me how a PSP can compare to this please? Unless you can suddenly read books on the PSP, go on the internet via 3G, have access to an online store that sells books, video's, music, games, applications etc. And when did the new 32GB and 64GB, 10" Screened PSP's come out, or did I just miss that?
Edgecrusher
Tell me how a PSP can compare to this please? Unless you can suddenly read books on the PSP

Well you can already read comics on a PSP, books aren't really that much of a stretch.

go on the internet via 3G

You're right; you just connect via WiFi instead.

have access to an online store that sells books, video's, music, games, applications etc.

Lol, Playstation store ring any bells? No? Well how about every other online store on the entire internet, that good enough?

And when did the new 32GB and 64GB, 10" Screened PSP's come out, or did I just miss that?

16GB is ample for a portable device, as for the screen, it's smaller, but it's also more portable and it saves over 300 on the old bank balance. I'm not saying nobody should buy one of them, just that IMOPO they are a waste of money and frankly abit gimmicky.
Pieface
QUOTE (t1nyt3rr4h @ Jan 31 2010, 01:46 AM) *
Tell me how a PSP can compare to this please? Unless you can suddenly read books on the PSP

Well you can already read comics on a PSP, books aren't really that much of a stretch.

go on the internet via 3G

You're right; you just connect via WiFi instead.

have access to an online store that sells books, video's, music, games, applications etc.

Lol, Playstation store ring any bells? No? Well how about every other online store on the entire internet, that good enough?

And when did the new 32GB and 64GB, 10" Screened PSP's come out, or did I just miss that?

16GB is ample for a portable device, as for the screen, it's smaller, but it's also more portable and it saves over 300 on the old bank balance. I'm not saying nobody should buy one of them, just that IMOPO they are a waste of money and frankly abit gimmicky.

Sorry, didn't rephrase the store bit right, I meant on the move. And Wifi isn't that great compared to 3G when you don't really have any access when out and about, such as commuting. And Comic books on a tiny screen like that o_O
TreeFitty
One comic frame at a time wouldn't be that bad...
0bs3n3
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Jan 31 2010, 05:56 AM) *

I don't see a problem with the internet on my computer at home?

Honestly, like one of the vlogbrothers on YouTube said, if this thing takes off it will probably be in ways we don't realise and probably can't understand now.
TreeFitty
QUOTE (0bs3n3 @ Jan 30 2010, 09:51 PM) *
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Jan 31 2010, 05:56 AM) *

I don't see a problem with the internet on my computer at home?

Honestly, like one of the vlogbrothers on YouTube said, if this thing takes off it will probably be in ways we don't realise and probably can't understand now.

Not exactly sure what you're getting at with the first line. Say it's a nice day to sit outside (on a porch, under an awning, etc) you can bring it out with you and browse some stuff. Again, I don't see it as being much and hope maybe there IS something else on the horizon as you have stated in the last line.
Edgecrusher
And Wifi isn't that great compared to 3G when you don't really have any access when out and about, such as commuting. And Comic books on a tiny screen like that o_O

I think it should be mentioned that the $499 model is a 16GB version (no storage advantage, especially if you consider that the 16GB built in memory of a PSPgo can be increased to 32GB with a memory card) and does not include 3G functionality. PSP>>>iPad, it's official. XD.png

Straight from the horse's mouth

Yet another unbelievable feature: the price

With iPad, you get all our latest innovations. And all our
most advanced technologies. In one of the most
revolutionary products we've ever created. All at a price
that's well within reach.

16GB with WiFi = $499

16GB with WiFi and 3G = $629

32GB with WiFi = $599

32GB with WiFi and 3G = $729

64GB with WiFi = $699

64GB with WiFi and 3G = $829

"All at a price that's well within reach" - Who are they trying to market this to? Bill Gates? tongue.gif
Marney1
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Jan 30 2010, 06:53 PM) *

demon
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Jan 31 2010, 05:50 AM) *
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Jan 30 2010, 06:53 PM) *

thumbup.gif
TheAnalogKid2112
This thing just looks goofy.
DuPz0r
I suppose it would be good for photoshop and other 2D art programs. My Uni might get some in for concept art drawing.
Ex-PS Fanboy
So now it's a giant Etch-a-sketch?
TreeFitty
I think anything with a nice big touch screen is a giant etch-a-sketch. Plus I think there's an app for that.
ViceMan
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Feb 1 2010, 06:51 PM) *
I think anything with a nice big touch screen is a giant etch-a-sketch. Plus I think there's an app for that.

Is there an app for roughly taking you in the arse while pulling violently at your hair and humming the theme tune to Power Rangers? If not, why not?!
TreeFitty
If there's a vibrator app, I'm sure people have made other, crazier things. Whether Apple accepts those apps is to be determined. sleep.gif

on that note, is there even a motor in this for vibration? I doubt it but if there was.........
DuPz0r
Need to drop food round to your 100 year old grandmother once a week, but wish there was a way to avoid the big wet kiss... There's An App For That!
Edgecrusher
ROFL

"The problem is, netbooks aren't better at anything." - Steve Jobs
ViceMan
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Feb 3 2010, 07:20 PM) *
Need to drop food round to your 100 year old grandmother once a week, but wish there was a way to avoid the big wet kiss... There's An App For That!

Need to dismember and dispose of a freshly killed victim without the authorities noticing? There's an app for that.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE (t1nyt3rr4h @ Feb 4 2010, 07:06 AM) *
ROFL

Wow... it actually is a giant iPhone
TreeFitty
QUOTE (PS Fanboy @ Feb 4 2010, 11:23 AM) *
QUOTE (t1nyt3rr4h @ Feb 4 2010, 07:06 AM) *
ROFL

Wow... it actually is a giant iPhone

I told yous!
DuPz0r
Okay... Maybe it isn't good for Photoshop and what not with such low specs... Man what a load of shit this is. I giant phone. Worlds Silliest product of the 10's so far...

Apparently its good for comics and magazines... For $500, every comic and magazine should be free for good!
asthenia
QUOTE (OptimumPx @ Jan 27 2010, 08:50 PM) *
So, it's a giant iPod Touch, with 3G at an extra $100 or so.

Pass. sleep.gif

And it's never going to replace laptops as long as it still uses a virtual keyboard. It's got less then half a screen compared to a normal laptop and with the virtual keyboard taking up half again when in use you'd have a fun time trying to use it.

Amen.

QUOTE (Darth Sexy @ Jan 28 2010, 11:32 AM) *
I'm still stuck in the paper age when it comes to books, and I have no intention of changing.

Me too, eBooks are for queers 'n' spics.

The thing that really fucks me off is that it can't multi-task. What the fuck?
Ex-PS Fanboy
Someone should post John Stewart's apple rant that was on last night.
Massacre
QUOTE (Asthenia @ Feb 7 2010, 05:37 PM) *
QUOTE (Darth Sexy @ Jan 28 2010, 11:32 AM) *

Me too, eBooks are for queers 'n' spics.

Spics can't afford Apple products.
Qdeathstar
Ipad is a lot less functional than a netbook....

QUOTE (Pieface @ Jan 31 2010, 01:03 AM) *
QUOTE (t1nyt3rr4h @ Jan 30 2010, 10:46 PM) *

Why do people insist on comparing these with Netbooks seriously? May as well compare netbooks to Laptops, and Laptops to Desktops if you're going down that route. The iPad is going down the multimedia route, whereas a netbook's are a micro-PC. And show me a netbook as thin, and as light as an iPad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.