Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adverts
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Important Information > Website & Forum Problems & Discussion
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
Hey. I'm at home at my parents'. We lack AdBlock. Thus:

Unclosable adverts blocking Fast Reply.

Any way to sort it out?
Psy
I'll try to get these ads removed from the rotation. Or just use adblock?
Heartless
I have the same problem. Only on my mac though; but, my PC does have ad block. So I dunno.
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
QUOTE (Psy @ Jan 6 2010, 01:27 AM) *
I'll try to get these ads removed from the rotation. Or just use adblock?
I'll have my laptop back soon and hence adblock. It was more for other people.
TreeFitty
I get that issue sometimes. Used to happen a lot but now not as much.
PabloHoneyOle
I boycott all products advertised on this site.
bOnEs
i have the same problem... it might just be a mac thing because, it happens for me at work but, at home on my PC, it doesn't occur... so i don't think it's that big of an issue since the mac population is probably like less than 5%... instead of fast reply, just go to "add reply"...
Marney1
QUOTE (Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester @ Jan 6 2010, 01:13 AM) *

Any way to sort it out?

That ^ with the MAG advert plus I've just had to log out after it took over the entire screen. It's been doing it all day.Click to view attachment
TreeFitty
still get ^this^ sometimes. meh. last night the forum wanted a black background all the time and today it happened a few times.
demon
QUOTE (Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester @ Jan 6 2010, 02:13 AM) *

Any way to sort it out?

That was a strange ad placement...
I'm blocking all ads so I have no problems.

Find what server it comes from and add it in the Hosts file.

QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Jan 6 2010, 04:48 PM) *
I boycott all products advertised on this site.

Hope you'll not see any GTA ads...

Marney1
This is seriously pissing me of now, can someone tell me how to block the ads on this site please?
Click to view attachment
TreeFitty
Can't do it with Internet Explorer. FireFox has an ad block feature.

and why are you taking pictures of the computer screen? you can take a screenshot.
Marney1
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Jan 30 2010, 11:58 PM) *

and why are you taking pictures of the computer screen? you can take a screenshot.

I have Firefox but I'm not sure where to find ad blocker and ^ that was my next question - how?
TreeFitty
Depending on your keyboard, mine is Shift+PrtSc which is up top towards the right usually. Next to or around NumLock and Pause buttons.

The ad blocker might be under Options or Tools. I'll look around unless someone who knows answers.
Marney1
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Jan 31 2010, 12:03 AM) *
Depending on your keyboard, mine is Shift+PrtSc which is up top towards the right usually. Next to or around NumLock and Pause buttons.

The ad blocker might be under Options or Tools. I'll look around unless someone who knows answers.

Thanks I'll have a mess around with it.

I turned the option about pop ups off so I presume that's it?
TreeFitty
http://www.ehow.com/how_4449837_use-adbloc...us-firefox.html

I don't think these ads count as a pop up. That's ads that open in a new window automatically when you view the page.
demon
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Jan 31 2010, 12:58 AM) *

Opera has one too, and nothing has to be downloaded or added. But I prefer other ways to block ads because sometimes I use IE. Norton and the HOSTS file are blocking ads regardless of which browser I'm using.

Marney1
The MAG ad is still getting in the way even though I've turned pop ups off on Firefox, maybe it's not technically a pop up?
TreeFitty
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Jan 30 2010, 09:50 PM) *
The MAG ad is still getting in the way even though I've turned pop ups off on Firefox, maybe it's not technically a pop up?

QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Jan 30 2010, 07:06 PM) *
I don't think these ads count as a pop up. That's ads that open in a new window automatically when you view the page.

Now ^that's^ proven, so go for the AdBlock route.
Marney1
I've just added ad block to Firefox and it worked on the ad at the top of the page but doesn't give the option when I try it with MAG.
TreeFitty
So you are still getting the one in the middle of your screen?
Marney1
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Jan 31 2010, 03:41 AM) *
So you are still getting the one in the middle of your screen?

Not now no, it just stays at the bottom where it's supposed to be. Shame I can't have the option to get rid of that too though.

EDIT: WTF? It's just shaded 3/4 of the screen and started playing the ad. I've got ad blocker on so wtf?

EDIT again: I just got the option to close the MAG ad but once I went to another page it took over the screen again so fuck this shit, can't it be blocked from the site?
demon
In my Norton log file I can see alot of things being blocked here.

Marney, do you know how to use the HOSTS file? It can be used to stop the shit.

Marney1
QUOTE (demon @ Jan 31 2010, 06:07 AM) *
In my Norton log file I can see alot of things being blocked here.

Marney, do you know how to use the HOSTS file? It can be used to stop the shit.

No, please explain.
demon
What OS are you using? I can explain for XP, but I think it should work for Vista and 7 as well. But the location for the Hosts file might be different.

When you go to a web address (e.g. click a link), the pc will first look up that address in the Hosts file. If it's not there, the pc will look for the page on the internet. The Hosts file works almost like a phone book. It tells the pc where to go.

When you add a bad address in the Hosts file, the pc is tricked into thinking that the bad page is locally on your machine. Thus it will not load.

Spybot Search & Destroy (anti-spyware program) adds thousands of bad sites to the Hosts file for you. If you're already using Spybot, this ad server is obviously not in the list.
Marney1
QUOTE (demon @ Jan 31 2010, 06:33 AM) *
What OS are you using? I can explain for XP, but I think it should work for Vista and 7 as well. But the location for the Hosts file might be different.

When you go to a web address (e.g. click a link), the pc will first look up that address in the Hosts file. If it's not there, the pc will look for the page on the internet. The Hosts file works almost like a phone book. It tells the pc where to go.

When you add a bad address in the Hosts file, the pc is tricked into thinking that the bad page is locally on your machine. Thus it will not load.

Spybot Search & Destroy (anti-spyware program) adds thousands of bad sites to the Hosts file for you. If you're already using Spybot, this ad server is obviously not in the list.

Thanks I'll look into it sometime.
demon
You can learn about it here:
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/

On my (XP) system, the Hosts file is located in this folder:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

When you want to edit it, first create a backup copy of the Hosts file.
Then right click the file and untick the write protection.
The file does not have an extension so the pc will not know what program to open it with. Select Notepad.

Spoiler

this is happening to me again and i can't post with fast reply.
Marney1
I'm usinf Firefox and had the same problem but since I downloaded Adblock it's stopped.

marney1@computergenius.com
Spoiler
Firefox is slightly slower for me. i am using google chrome, faster speed but unstable at some sites i think..
will try that Adblock. smile.gif
DuffMan
Chrome also has an Adblock extension. Actually I think it has 3 to choose from. But yeah, it works just as well.
TreeFitty
Anyone else get slowed down by this ad?

I get it a lot. Same goes with the square version at the bottom of the page. Everything gets laggy.
The Awesome One
Im all for adverts, but I do not like seeing Shrek's (Sorry, Wayne Rooney's) face appear on the screen. Sort it out please.
Heartless
I understand you need the cash to run this place, but I'd like less obtrusive ads.
Psy
We don't make any money through the ads you lot are complaining about. They're required by the server host so that I don't have to fork about about $400 a month to keep the site up and running. If it's really that much of an issue, I'll make yet another complaint to my server host about them but to be honest the company who provide our ads don't really care, so I suggest you just get an ad blocker while I try and most likely fail again to get these stupid ads removed from the rotation.
TwoFacedTanner
So I have to get an ad blocker to stop getting my fast reply cock blocked....I see.
Heartless
QUOTE (Psy @ Feb 12 2010, 07:43 AM) *
We don't make any money through the ads you lot are complaining about. They're required by the server host so that I don't have to fork about about $400 a month to keep the site up and running. If it's really that much of an issue, I'll make yet another complaint to my server host about them but to be honest the company who provide our ads don't really care, so I suggest you just get an ad blocker while I try and most likely fail again to get these stupid ads removed from the rotation.

I'm starting to think you have a soft spot for me. wub.gif

Anyways, most of them have quit anyhow.
Psy
Good stuff. Let me know if it happens again and I'll just remove the ads myself and refuse to put them back on until they fix them.
Heartless
QUOTE (Psy @ Mar 14 2010, 07:50 AM) *
Good stuff. Let me know if it happens again and I'll just remove the ads myself and refuse to put them back on until they fix them.

Many thanks sire.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.