Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does GTA:SA work in Windows Vista?
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA III Series > GTA San Andreas
ShadowRider
On a related topic I noticed someone mentioning about some compability issues with Windows Vista but there wasn't any mentioned. Does it work in Vista?

My computer setup is
- AMD 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2,60 Ghz
- 3 GB RAM
- Windows Vista Home Premium + SP1
- NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT graphics card

I love the GTA-games and have them on PS2 but GTA San Andreas has poor playability on PS2 so I decided to try it on PC, went and ordered the game but the I saw the mention of compability problems with Windows Vista and my heart skipped a beat... sad.gif
Massacre
I haven't had any problems, but I wouldn't take that as a definitive answer.
Weasel
sometimes a person must use compatibility Mode: XP or 98.
Usual problem I found is Vista PCs sometimes have CHEAP onboard Video with Shared RAM.
Getting a nice Video Card with its own dedicated memory easily fixs that.
AMD Dual Core... (?) you might have to get a patch from them. Some people have had trouble with multi-cores.

You say "Poor playability" issue? What exactly?
The Awesome One
It works on Vista. Its usually down to other items, such as graphic cards or memory.
ShadowRider
QUOTE (Weasel @ Dec 29 2009, 06:56 PM) *
You say "Poor playability" issue? What exactly?

On Playstation 2, first the controls. GTA III, Vice City, Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories the character and the vehicles can be controlled with arrow keys, but not in GTA SA - they must be controlled with the L3-joystick. Most annoying but it's not the worst.

Take aiming for one. In Vice City, when aiming with R1 it automatically zeroes in on the nearest opponent the character is facing (granted, sometimes the aim takes a wrong character but it always aims at someone. In GTA SA however it aims whereever the character is facing even if there's no-one there. The white crosshairs appear and the character shoots at an empty wall for instance, while it's being shot from behind.

The camera - I read somewhere that it has better camera with free movements. Better my behind - sometimes the camera points in awkward directions, take the "Robbing Uncle Sam" -mission for one where the camera swings in weird directions when driving the forklift. The R3-joystick must be used constantly to readjust the camera angle to see where the forks point/crates are to be put. Same happens when backing a dcar. The camera-angle changes (like in Vice City - that's ok) but it takes longer for the camera to return to it's normal angle when the car goes forward again.

But the most annoying one is the aiming.

It's a shame since I really like San Andreas, the bigger map, the landscape of Los Santos, similiar yet different from Vice City, and the cars looks better than the other games (haven't played IV yet).

With the PC version I hope to fix the controls and with that maybe the aiming-issue fixes itself somewhat....
Weasel
Got some bad news for you.
It's the same program for the PC.
Plus unless you get/have a generic USB GamePad you will have to use the keyboard & mouse together to move and shoot.
The PC has more detail (extra trees, trash, wrecks littering the area). But the game play is pretty much the same.
A good Graphics card will allow you to see farther with a little better detail. Graphic polygons are the same though. (Circles are still a series of straight lines.)

Personaly I didn't like the VC programing, I much prefer the SA for just those reasons (PS2).
But, I imagine you started with VC and I started with SA.
ShadowRider
QUOTE (Weasel @ Dec 30 2009, 03:54 PM) *
Got some bad news for you.
It's the same program for the PC.
Plus unless you get/have a generic USB GamePad you will have to use the keyboard & mouse together to move and shoot.
The PC has more detail (extra trees, trash, wrecks littering the area). But the game play is pretty much the same.
A good Graphics card will allow you to see farther with a little better detail. Graphic polygons are the same though. (Circles are still a series of straight lines.)

Personaly I didn't like the VC programing, I much prefer the SA for just those reasons (PS2).
But, I imagine you started with VC and I started with SA.

Yeah, I started with VC. I wonder, since GTA II and VC are older than SA, and LCS and VCS being newer than SA, and LCS and VCS have the same controls as III and VC (atleast on PS2), why did they change them back (though I'm glad they did)? Perhaps the majority thought older control setup was better. BTW, how about controls in GTA IV (on PS3)?

Actually the PC arrow-controls for driving are actually better than the left joystic on PS2. On foot it's a bit harder with the camera-angle having to be changed with mouse, but once I got a hold of it it worked fine, going straight by holding the arrow-up and then turning with the mouse which also changed the camera-angle like I wanted it. The hard-part was to change between these two, when exiting a vehicle for instance having to move my hands to grab the mouse takes some time getting used to. And I do like the clearer picture and better detail on PC. The aiming issue could be the same, I don't know yet since I only tested the game briefly and didn't shoot with firearms - I only familiarized myself with the controls. Changing between them, especially from foot to vehicle, if a cop or someone is after me when I get in a vehicle I'd need to hit the accelerator and be gone fast, but since I have to glance at the keyboard to see where the W-key for acceleration is, I get sometimes pulled out of the vehicle - and when cops do that --> "Busted".

But I do believe the controls, changing the camera-angle with mouse, fixes the aiming-issue somewhat too. I know the same thing could be done with using the PS2 left and right joystick at the same time but it's just harder...

One annoying thing though: I played the game for like an hour and it jammed twice, jammed so that I had to kill it from Task Manager. Is saving a game possible on the PC version on the run, or does it have to be made in the safe house? Since having it jammed after completing a mission thus losing all the progress would be extremely annoying.
Weasel
Save is the same. You must make it to the safe house.
As I said, the program is basicly the same, just that you have a keyboard and choice of the mouse Or GamePad (if you have one.)
Heartless
http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/
TreeFitty
Don't bump old topics with info that has been said already. sleep.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.