Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Playstation internet prob
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > Geek Central
Bain
Ok, so I live somewhere other than my parents home and I have internet there which I use to play online all the time. Now, that I came home I plug in the ethernet cord for PS to the internet and for some reason I cant sign on, it cant even find an IP address. I want to play online with my friends but I dont know what to do.

I figured maybe I have it synced to my shit back where I live. I thought about resetting the settings but I dont want to reset my PS id so I dont lose my progress in games.

Can anyone help?
0bs3n3
Maybe try resetting your PS to factory settings? Then just go to Network Settings and start over. I don't think this would affect your game progress. I can't remember how to do it, something about holding down the power button for a bit (just search it). Not sure if this would work but worth a try.
TreeFitty
Should be able to just set up the internet connection again without resetting the whole PS3. Network Settings > Internet Setup something like that. Won't effect your onine trophies and such.
Bain
I think I would have to do what Obsene is saying I know I already tried setting up the internet connection and it always times out. I know exactly what you guys are suggesting to do. I may try that. I just pretty much dont want to lose my Call of Duty progress.
TreeFitty
Copy all your game data onto a USB flash drive then.
bOnEs
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Dec 28 2009, 12:43 PM) *
Copy all your game data onto a USB flash drive then.

do this... you always want to backup your save files when you start tinkering with the settings and system... even my old ass small 512MB flash drive is big enough to store all my game saves on...
Bain
I backed up reset and it still doesnt work. It cannot find an IP address for some reason. Is it possible I can only play on the internet hooked up in my room because its different?

ENVi3
what kind of set-up do you have at your parent's house?

if it can't find an IP, it might be the router, or the lack of one. Are you just plugging it into the modem?
Bain
Yeah since I dont have a router a guy from the geek squad said I would have to unplug the modem from the computer, plug it into my playstation, reset the box and then I can find an IP. Im going to try that in a bit.
0bs3n3
QUOTE (Bain @ Dec 30 2009, 08:17 AM) *
Yeah since I dont have a router a guy from the geek squad said I would have to unplug the modem from the computer, plug it into my playstation, reset the box and then I can find an IP. Im going to try that in a bit.

That's what I thought you were already doing. Yeah unplugging it from your computer and directly into your PS3 *should* work.
ENVi3
QUOTE (0bs3n3 @ Dec 29 2009, 05:03 PM) *
QUOTE (Bain @ Dec 30 2009, 08:17 AM) *

That's what I thought you were already doing. Yeah unplugging it from your computer and directly into your PS3 *should* work.

sometimes you have to unplug the modem too, to get a new IP address. I read it on the PS forum ... so basically what the Geek Squad guy said.
Bain
Yeah I unlugged it and reset it and it worked. Then I do the same to plug it back in to the computer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.