Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mafia 2
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Other Gaming > Other Games
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Marney1
When the hell is this game going to be out? It seems to have been in production for ever.

bOnEs
who knows and quite frankly, who cares... i'll start caring once it's near release or we get some new footage or info... last i heard was fall of 2010 for a release date but shit, this game is turning into R*'s LA Niore... meaning, who the fuck knows...
DuPz0r
Just found loads of new screenshots of the game, and mmm it looks pretty! By the look of the quality in these screens, i'm getting this game without a doubt!

And i nice little video for you guys. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
bOnEs
august 24th i do believe is the release date... so, next month... i'll wait and see what happens between now and then... i am kind of interested in this but, i am not sure if i am willing to pay $60 for it... my shelf is cluttered with sandbox games...
PabloHoneyOle
Yeah, not getting this until I finish Crackdown, Crackdown 2, Saint's Row 2, Godfather 2 and my replay of GTAIV.

Last thing I need in the world is another sandbox game.
Massacre
I'm going to go ahead and say we won't be doing any of that in L.A. Noire. I'm more likely to buy this on release day than Noire, but I'll probably get both eventually.
Marney1
Looks nice, smooth and big. I've looked forward to this for so long now that the urgency to buy isn't there anymore but it'll be in my PS3 by the end of the year.
This pic has me thinking of potential power slides round corners and attempting donuts...

Multiplayer? Doubt it. sad.gif
TwoFacedTanner
From what I've read this game is no longer sandbox, its mission based. They changed it to tell a better story.
Which just ruined it for me. I cant get enough of sandbox games...so much to do, so much to see.

I mean, they're gonna have a free ride mode from what I hear, but the mission based thing...I don't think I'm gonna pay $60 for that...I learned my lesson with COD...

Plus, even the free ride they said that they weren't revolutionizing sandbox gameplay, so I guess...it just whatever.

I liked the first one, but this is gonna be a bargain bin title for me.
bOnEs
http://www.vg247.com/2010/07/22/mafia-ii-d...g-on-august-10/

thankfully a demo is coming... this will be the deciding factor for me... if it's fun, i might consider purchasing it...
ViceMan
I don't usually like open-world games not made by R* (I know this is made by T2) but I may actually consider buying this. The same thing happened with RDR, I didn't pay any attention to it for a long time, but decided one day to read a bit about it and check out some screens and instantly liked it (that day was today.) With this, RDR, Agent and L.A. Noire it looks like we're going to have nearly all 20th century eras covered. But I expect it to lack the subtle humour of a R* made game.
bOnEs
nah, i fully expect it play out like the godfather... very serious and very gruesome... no R* humor at all...
ViceMan
So is it not a sandbox game then?
bOnEs
i really don't know... i heard the missions are linear but the world is sandbox...
DuPz0r
Well if they have anything to do in the open world part, then I'll most likely get it. But i like the fact the missions are not sandbox. i like gritty mafia stories!
bOnEs
yea, i thought they were trying to keep you grounded in this world and trying to keep you from getting distracted with side stuff, which is what always happens in a sandbox... come to think of it, i bet the world is linear too... maybe it's the driving/walking parts during a mission that might be sandbox style, letting you take your own route to the objective...

it's amazing how little we know about a massive AAA game releasing in just a month...

EDIT: damn, our questions have been answered... i just watched that video duzpor posted yesterday... he's not on a mission but, he's able to drive and go anywhere... i saw phone booth icons on the maps and other icons too... yes, i think this game is a full-fledged sandbox game... it's the missions that will probably be linear, which is good IMO... it keeps the story moving along...
ViceMan
The only slight thing putting me off is the fact it's set in a New York replica, I immediately thought "GTA IV" when I saw the skyline. It has elements of Chicago according to the video, but Chicago is a very generic American city anyway isn't it? I doubt i'd be able to pick out any of the Chicago buildings in the game from amongst the New York buildings.
bOnEs
i could.. but, that's because i've been to chicago a bunch of times... i only live 2 hours away... but shit, new york and chicago are really the only cities worth replicating from this era... those were the mobster cities...
DuPz0r
Personally, i love the fact it's set in NY/Chic. Best place for a mafia setting imo. I love sandbox games, especially ones made by R*, and this one's made by 2K, which is associated with R*. So i think this will be pretty good. I think i need a good mafia story to get into. I haven't really got into a decent mafia story since GTA Liberty City Stories on PSP!

I'm gonna be watching this game like crazy now, up until release.
ViceMan
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Jul 25 2010, 05:52 PM) *
Personally, i love the fact it's set in NY/Chic. Best place for a mafia setting imo. I love sandbox games, especially ones made by R*, and this one's made by 2K, which is associated with R*. So i think this will be pretty good. I think i need a good mafia story to get into. I haven't really got into a decent mafia story since GTA Liberty City Stories on PSP!

I'm gonna be watching this game like crazy now, up until release.

I think initially the NY setting will put me off because of its similarity to GTA IV, but once I get into the plot i'll realise it's a totally different setting, what with being set in the 40's/50's and all. Plus the only part of IV with mafia in was towards the game ending.
DuPz0r
More nice screens:

Hmm, customizable safe-house:

And loads >here< but i can't be bothered to post them, there are so many cool ones biggrin.gif
Massacre
Yeah, I'm going to have to get this.
DuPz0r
Will anyone be getting this and L.A. Noire? One is a detective based and the other is mafia based, but they kind of look really similar in art style.

I think i will, but i guess the gap between releases is pretty big so I'd most likely get both even if they were very alike.
ViceMan
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Jul 26 2010, 02:49 PM) *
Will anyone be getting this and L.A. Noire? One is a detective based and the other is mafia based, but they kind of look really similar in art style.

I think i will, but i guess the gap between releases is pretty big so I'd most likely get both even if they were very alike.

At the moment, I have Mafia II, Agent and L.A. Noire on my list of watched games; three games that are all basically alike is unheard of for me. Usually i'm lucky if there's one game that gets my interest every three years.

QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Jul 25 2010, 09:16 PM) *

I don't think they're customisable, the game starts in the 1940's (the second pic) and then jumps forward to the 1950's. So it's sort of in two acts.
DuPz0r
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jul 27 2010, 07:02 PM) *
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Jul 26 2010, 02:49 PM) *

At the moment, I have Mafia II, Agent and L.A. Noire on my list of watched games; three games that are all basically alike is unheard of for me. Usually i'm lucky if there's one game that gets my interest every three years.

Yeah i know. I don't get very interested in games very often, but this is a good line-up.

QUOTE (ViceMan @ Jul 27 2010, 07:02 PM) *
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Jul 25 2010, 09:16 PM) *

I don't think they're customisable, the game starts in the 1940's (the second pic) and then jumps forward to the 1950's. So it's sort of in two acts.

Ahh, i see. That makes sense then.
There was another one in the link i posted. Might be between those dates then.
ViceMan
Also i'm not sure if there are actual weather patterns, when the game starts in 1945 the city is covered in snow, but I think it stays like that until the game jumps forward to the 50's. But most freeroam games have at least basic weather; sunny, overcast and stormy.
TwoFacedTanner
I think a demo is coming out the tenth of this month. I'll see about it then. I'm still feeling a bit iffy about this title.
DuPz0r
QUOTE (TwoFacedTanner @ Aug 3 2010, 05:22 AM) *
I think a demo is coming out the tenth of this month. I'll see about it then. I'm still feeling a bit iffy about this title.

Should be interesting. I'll have to give it a go for sure.

New trailer
ViceMan
There's no dynamic weather system, instead it's set at the beginning of each mission to make the game more cinematic. So out of missions the weather will always be the same I guess.
DuPz0r
The Betrayal of Jimmy is going to be a PS3 Exclusive DLC. It will be free to those who buy the game in the release period (first week) via voucher. And then it will be available to everyone else on the PSN store for 9.99USD (7.99GBP).

Here come the screenshots.

Sounds good if i get it on release, i doubt ill pay that much for it. Good thing I'm getting it on release then!
TwoFacedTanner
I wonder why PS3 always gets exclusive DLC.
I mean, yeah, GTAIV Microsoft had exclusivity...but now its on PS3 too.
This kind of stuff though...will never be on Xbox.
Is this their clever marketing scheme "if we put exclusives in every game, people will buy a PS3!!"
ViceMan
QUOTE (TwoFacedTanner @ Aug 7 2010, 02:25 PM) *
This kind of stuff though...will never be on Xbox.
Is this their clever marketing scheme "if we put exclusives in every game, people will buy a PS3!!"

Where does it say it'll never be on Xbox? And of course it's a marketing scheme, not only to encourage people to buy PS3s, but also to buy the game on release day as opposed to 6 months down the line from a second-hand bargain bin.

I've got my copy pre-ordered, with some other stuff too; greaser and made man pack. I originally ordered the collector's edition, but then thought "why do I want it?" since this is the first Mafia game i've bought I don't even know if i'll like it.
DuPz0r
I remember playing the first one and not liking it all that much. I think at the time it just seemed like a bad GTA clone. But they seem to have improved on the second one a hell of a lot. I haven't pre-odered. I may do, but i hardly ever pre-order, i just walk in on release and pick up a copy.

This game does look promising to me though. If you're a Mafia film/game fan you'll definitely love it. i just hope it doesn't rip off to many Godfather or Goodfellas scenarios. Unless they do it well.

Anyone see Goodfella's on the cards? What with Godfather, Scarface being fairly successful as games.

Also, here is a Mafia 2 behind the scenes clip, pretty insightful.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusiv...mafia-ii/702510
Massacre
I don't feel like looking to see if it's somewhere in this topic, so what's in the Collector's Edition? Also, Are most of you guys getting this? I spend too much time playing WoW, I need something else to play, and people to talk to about it.
ViceMan
QUOTE (Massacre @ Aug 9 2010, 02:57 AM) *
I don't feel like looking to see if it's somewhere in this topic, so what's in the Collector's Edition? Also, Are most of you guys getting this? I spend too much time playing WoW, I need something else to play, and people to talk to about it.

http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PlayStation-3/...583/?s=Mafia+II

* Steelbook packaging
* Official orchestral score
* 100 page hard cover art book
* Downloadable Made Man pack
* Guide to Empire Bay map printed on specialty tear-resistant paper

It doesn't mention anything about the greaser pack that comes with the special edition though, so I don't know if that's included.

As for getting it, well yes I am as i've pre-ordered it.
DuPz0r
I'm getting it 100%. I may have to put RDR DLC on hold for this though.
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Aug 9 2010, 08:05 AM) *
It doesn't mention anything about the greaser pack that comes with the special edition though, so I don't know if that's included.

I thought that was a pre order bonus?

QUOTE (ViceMan @ Aug 7 2010, 09:27 AM) *
Where does it say it'll never be on Xbox? And of course it's a marketing scheme, not only to encourage people to buy PS3s, but also to buy the game on release day as opposed to 6 months down the line from a second-hand bargain bin.

You have a point. I was super disappointed with the Walton Gang outfit on RDR and Zurg as a playable character on Toy Story 3 only being on PS3...
DuPz0r
I noticed that PS Plus users get the Mafia 2 demo today! Damn, i'll have to wait a week or so before they put it on the second class store sad.gif
ViceMan
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Aug 10 2010, 11:57 AM) *
I noticed that PS Plus users get the Mafia 2 demo today! Damn, i'll have to wait a week or so before they put it on the second class store sad.gif

And when you download it you'll get a look of contempt from Sony as if to say "sign up to our club yo! You get free shit!" I wasn't sure if I was going to D/L it anyway, I was just going to wait for the game and take my chances.
DuPz0r
I heard the demo is out tomorrow for us norms lol. It's like 1GB in size which makes me think i'll give it a miss and wait too... 1GB will take a little long on my connection.
TwoFacedTanner
The official TwoFacedTanner Mafia 2 demo review!

Awesome interactive environments. Open windows in your house, drink beer and eat sammiches from your fridge. Its all very nice.
Cars are hard to control in my opinion, really heavy feeling.
Vito moves very...quickly? I guess its because I've been playing RDR and I'm used to characters having weight and moving realistically. I mean, he feels like he has no weight to him...I don't know its hard to explain.

I can honestly say they dropped the ball on realism hands down when this happened:

I'm sprinting down the sidewalk and apparently ran into an african american who was in a gang. I had no idea until I walked into the diner and it said I had gangsters after me and wouldnt let me eat.

I walk outside the diner to find said negro challenging me to fisticuffs, to which I engage him.

The police show up(now remember, this is 1940s America we're talking here) they completely ignore him and pull out their guns and point them at me, causing me to drop to my knees and either pay them $50 or go to jail. I paid them money and stood up...they walked up to the black guy and say to him "Don't let me catch you doing that again."
ViceMan
QUOTE (TwoFacedTanner @ Aug 10 2010, 08:12 PM) *
I can honestly say they dropped the ball on realism hands down when this happened:

I'm sprinting down the sidewalk and apparently ran into an african american who was in a gang. I had no idea until I walked into the diner and it said I had gangsters after me and wouldnt let me eat.

I walk outside the diner to find said negro challenging me to fisticuffs, to which I engage him.

The police show up(now remember, this is 1940s America we're talking here) they completely ignore him and pull out their guns and point them at me, causing me to drop to my knees and either pay them $50 or go to jail. I paid them money and stood up...they walked up to the black guy and say to him "Don't let me catch you doing that again."

Maybe they don't want to offend the aforementioned negros if they buy this game, so they deliberately remove any historical racism - the dirty niggers!
DuPz0r
lol. So was your demo experience any good? You've established the handling of the character and cars feel crap in comparison to?

Ah what the hell, was it good?
TwoFacedTanner
It wasn't bad haha, I may buy the game, but not at release. Even with the demo I'm still not sure about it.

The main complaint about the negro man wasn't that he didn't get a billy club to the face, it was just the fact that the police held me at gunpoint while they let him go on about his business.

And the cars and character don't necessarily handle like crap...just...different.
JamieMilne
i have to disagree i think that, that the character doesnt move quick enough, i was tapping x thinking it would make him sprint like in gta.

the cars i felt moved really easily i didnt think they were heavy atall. i loved the shotgun in it, it blew people away literally lol.

i too experienced a random african american guy start a fight with me in a shop, apparently i had gangsters after me also.

i told dup today that i thought the graphics looked a little edgy, its really more noticable in the distance, like trees and a bridge im looking at just now, but the houses on the streets look really good and so do the roads.

i dont think ill get it on release since money is tight and im going to buy playstation move and my girlfriends birthday is coming up, but i think ill get it eventually maybe, unless L.A noire comes out before i go to buy this lol....
ViceMan
QUOTE (TwoFacedTanner @ Aug 10 2010, 09:34 PM) *
It wasn't bad haha, I may buy the game, but not at release. Even with the demo I'm still not sure about it.

The main complaint about the negro man wasn't that he didn't get a billy club to the face, it was just the fact that the police held me at gunpoint while they let him go on about his business.

And the cars and character don't necessarily handle like crap...just...different.

Well, do the cars handle like you'd expect 1940's cars to? Plus they're American cars which means they handle like crap anyway. happy.gif
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE (JamieMilne @ Aug 10 2010, 04:02 PM) *
i have to disagree i think that, that the character doesnt move quick enough, i was tapping x thinking it would make him sprint like in gta.

Its one of the shoulder buttons that makes him sprint. And I don't mean walking speed quick I mean looking around and all that. Like I said, I'm used to the charaters in RDR atm, with their slower turning speed and stuff.

And we must be driving different cars or my breaks don't work or something.
I was also partial to the Tommy Gun myself.

Well, do the cars handle like you'd expect 1940's cars to? Plus they're American cars which means they handle like crap anyway.

They do, as in lack of power steering and having the type brakes you have to stand on to get a car to stop.

I think the game has some potential, and it probably will be good, but like I said one hundred times before...I still don't know if its worthy of a release date purchase. The demo shows you some features, and I hope there are, but not enough to sell it to me ATM.

BTW cops are kinda annoying on the game.

And Jamie, have you figured out how to tell how much gas your car has? I noticed you can refill them...but I don't see a gas gauge anywhere.

Pieface
Dupzor. You moan you can't play the Demo? You just built a PC that could easily handle the game and the demo's on Steam.
bOnEs
yup, i'm downloading the demo when i get home today... i said that i would base my purchase alone on the demo... if it looks like a lot of fun, i'm buying it... if it's just OK, then i'm waiting until sometime later in the year, or possibly next year... everything hinges on whether or not the demo kicks ass...

but, from what i've read so far, it sounds like fun... we shall see in a few hours...
JamieMilne
where do you get the tommy gun from ?

if you go into the map twofaced, theres like a petrol pump icon and set a way point it will take you straight to it. i didnt know i actually ran out of petrol, i went and filled up anyway for the sake of it lol
DuPz0r
QUOTE (Pieface @ Aug 10 2010, 10:28 PM) *
Dupzor. You moan you can't play the Demo? You just built a PC that could easily handle the game and the demo's on Steam.

True, But i want to play it on PS3. i rarely use my PC's for gaming. Mostly rendering and 3D modelling. But i may make an exception for this lol.

Well i'll make my decision once i've played it. I'll know straight away if i want to buy it or rent it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.