Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Book Did You Recently Finish?
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > General Discussion
Hardcore Ottoman
Basically, you can give a description or review of a book you recently finished. I would like it if you did not review/summarize a book that you finished a while back. I'm trying to get first impressions/reflections of books as a whole.

I just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. The book has great pace. The writing style took some getting used to having heavily fragmented sentences and sometimes hard to follow dialogue, and there are no numbered chapters. But my eyes were wet by the end. The end is a real motherfucker. Nothing in this book seems out of place except the last paragraph. The last paragraph has a nice final metaphor for the whole book; it takes some thinking to fully understand it. I'm not sure if the book had a Christian tone or not... the ending pages really made me doubt that it was secular.

I haven't seen the film adaptation yet. Not sure if I'll get around to it though.
scarface1616
The most recent book I've read is Let the Right One In by John Lindqvist. I absolutely loved the book(and the movie as well) and I plan on reading it again sometime next month. I'm going to hate myself for comparing it to this, but its similar to Twilight. However this is about children, both are twelve years old, however the female(well technically androgynous) has been twelve for several hundred years. It's more or less a mature version of Twilight that delves a lot deeper into emotion, relationships, and loneliness rather than focusing on some hot dude thats a vampire that can stand out in the daylight(I hate Twilight). I'd suggest watching the movie forst and if you enjoy it you're bound to enjoy the book even more.
kingturtle2005
The most recent book that I've finished is "The A to Z encyclopedia of Serial Killers" Even though it's not a book with a story, reading all the serial kills from back then really gives you that sense of safety that you truly have in this modern age. Considering the police technology back then weren't great and criminals could get away with almost anything really reflects on how much of an upgrade technology had by each year.

For anyone that's interested in getting it, it's written by Harold Schechter and it's by far the best serial killer book I've seen so far, it covers everything.
0bs3n3
Harry Potter 7, approximately two years ago.

T'was good.
TreeFitty
The last book I finished was "Report From Engine Co. 82". It looks at the South Bronx from the view of a firefighter (the books author) during the "war years" when many buildings burned daily and there was much hostility towards emergency services. It's not just about the author and his crew, it also looks at the citizens in a crime-riddled area where murders and arsons were a daily thing. I found it to be a great read with much detail into the author's life inside and outside the job. I also found it to be an amazing tale of the area with numerous individual incidents that were unique and sometimes seemed to be fantasy.

There are other similar books I have started but not completed yet.
River
Hustler may 1984 issue.
Ex-PS Fanboy
Great Gatsby for English Class.

It made me realize how much I hate books...
TreeFitty
QUOTE (Hustler One @ Dec 1 2009, 11:32 AM) *

Beats Shakespeare atleast.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Dec 1 2009, 11:38 AM) *

Actually I would much rather read Shakespeare.
TreeFitty
QUOTE (Hustler One @ Dec 1 2009, 11:39 AM) *

You're wierd then. I found Gatsby better than translating old English every sentence. Plus it was a more modern setting.
DuffMan
I'm selectively illiterate, so I'll ditto Obs3n3.
Bulkstack
Just finished reading Homicide A Year On the Killing Streets By David Simon.
Im a fan of the TV Show The Wire so i thought i would read the book which was the inspiration
behind the show.
I would highly recommend it to any fans of The Wire, I found it be an enjoyable read
and a fascinating look at inner city America, Which also managed to keep the black comedy
which The Wire is famous for.
bOnEs
one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish... best fucking book ever!!
OptimumPx
Rum Punch, the book that the movie Jackie Brown is based on if you know it.

An airline stewardess, a bail bondsman, a gun runner, an ex-con, a ATF agent, and a beach bunny are all after a half million in cash.

Lying and cheating and killing the others to get it. Very good book. smile.gif
bOnEs
QUOTE (OptimumPx @ Dec 1 2009, 02:32 PM) *
Rum Punch, the book that the movie Jackie Brown is based on if you know it.

An airline stewardess, a bail bondsman, a gun runner, an ex-con, a ATF agent, and a beach bunny are all after a half million in cash.

Lying and cheating and killing the others to get it. Very good book. smile.gif

very good movie as well... i think it's tarintino's 2nd best movie, behind pulp fiction of course smile.gif...
The Awesome One
I really enjoyed reading Lovejoy on Football. Very funny, couldnt put it down.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Dec 1 2009, 11:45 AM) *
QUOTE (Hustler One @ Dec 1 2009, 11:39 AM) *

You're wierd then. I found Gatsby better than translating old English every sentence. Plus it was a more modern setting.

I really have no trouble understanding Shakespeare. The synopsis before every scene made it much easier to understand foreign words. With Gatsby I thought it was really boring unless someone was there explaining all the hidden themes and symbols.
new major on the block
The Complete idiots Guide to learning Italian and i still have no clue how to speak it.
DANNY B0Y
The Vampire's Assistant, Darren Shan. Pretty decent books. They've made the first two into a movie. I like fiction books, especially about vampires. Haven't got round to reading Twilight yet.
Pieface
Reading mostly Jeremy Clarkson books at the moment, but looking for better books to read with a story rather than Newspaper articles.
The Awesome One
QUOTE (Generic Nazi Soldier @ Dec 8 2009, 12:16 AM) *
Reading mostly Jeremy Clarkson books at the moment, but looking for better books to read with a story rather than Newspaper articles.

Clarkson is classic.
Ex-PS Fanboy
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Inkace
The last book I actually finished was Australia's Serial Killers by Paul B. Kidd.

I'm now reading Never To Be Released volumes 2&3 becuase I can't find number 1. They are all written by Paul B. Kidd and they are documented accounts of Australias worst criminals.

I don't read much fiction, I play games for fiction.
I can't even remember the last fiction book I read.
0bs3n3
Dan Brown's 'The Lost Symbol'

Started alright but then got a little convoluted and anti-climatic. 3/5.
Hardcore Ottoman
I just finished King's Under The Dome which was a big step in the right direction. What I find absolutely stellar about his writing is his ability to invoke upon me a feeling of downright moral disgust for those who use outdated morals to justify their actions. I don't think King will ever stop writing about aliens though, but at least his idea of them continually changes. Sisyphus comes to mind a lot when the book finally gets around to ET near the end. Btw, ending is beyond fucked up.
Skinny 
I can't remember the last book I finished, but right now I'm reading The Anthology of Lesbian Writing. v.gif
Spoiler
QUOTE (0bs3n3 @ Dec 22 2009, 10:06 AM) *
Dan Brown's 'The Lost Symbol'

Started alright but then got a little convoluted and anti-climatic. 3/5.

i finish it about a month ago. the ending sucks! it's like you are looking for this precious thing and in the end u can buy it at 7-11 down the road.

i am on the Stephen Kings - The Dark Tower series. just finished "Drawing of three".
Zacko
To Kill a Mockingbird
Morrissey and Marr: The Severed Alliance
& The Book of General Ignorance are the last books I remember reading

Currently reading Anthony Kiedis' autobiography Scar Tissue and A Short History of Nearly Everything. I've also got a few more music books to read including ones on Led Zeppelin and Kasabian (I like my music books). Beyond that theres about 20 others books I've randomly bought on Amazon for 1p that I need to get around too reading.
Massacre
QUOTE (Zacko @ Jan 13 2010, 08:52 PM) *
To Kill a Mockingbird

Really? Did the old Southern United States suddenly become interesting to you?
Zacko
QUOTE (Massacre @ Jan 14 2010, 01:55 AM) *
QUOTE (Zacko @ Jan 13 2010, 08:52 PM) *
To Kill a Mockingbird

Really? Did the old Southern United States suddenly become interesting to you?

Haters be hating tongue.gif

Nah it's just an awesome book really, watched the film again recently and it made me want to reread it.
Massacre
I think it was ninth grade when I read it and watched the movie, I'd kind of like to at least see the movie again. Better than most of the shit I read in school.

For some reason it didn't occur to me that this book might exist outside of the US.
OptimumPx
I just finished the 2nd book in James Ellroy's "Underworld USA Trilogy", The Cold Six Thousand.

In the first book (American Tabloid) you meet Kemper Boyd (FBI Agent), Ward Littell (Ex-FBI Agent), and Pete Bondurant (Howard Hughes' pimp) and see as they work behind the political scenes in the late 50s through the early 60s. They all have a hand in the Bay of Pigs fiasco and participate in the assassination of JFK. They also work both against and then for the mob at different points.

Now in the second book, 2 of the 3 main characters survive to continue in the story, with the third being replaced with Las Vegas cop Wayne Tedrow. They keep working with the mob and J. Edgar Hoover against Robert Kennedy and Fidel Castro, but now also face off against Martian Luther King, Jr. and his Southern Christian Leadership Conference. Of course this book kills off both RFK and MLK (Castro never dies the cockroach!) and one of the 3 main characters dies like in the last book...but for completly different reasons then the last one's death.

I'll begin reading the third book, Blood's a Rover, tomorrow. smile.gif
Tranque
The last book I've read was Came a Cavalier by Francis Parkinson Keyes. Now this isn't my normal kind of book but it really was a treat. Its set in Pre and during ww2 times and follows Constance Galt, a nurse. She has some mushy romantic suitors and its kind of cheesy romancy at the first half but once the war comes into play it gets extremely interesting. I like both halves because they both create a deep connection to the main and side characters and show how the war afflicted Paris.Overall I give it my Gay Seal of Approval.

FUNFACT: I picked it up for a dollar at the NYC Strand, its not a cheap work, its classic and its awesome.

Zacko
QUOTE (Massacre @ Jan 14 2010, 03:11 AM) *
I think it was ninth grade when I read it and watched the movie, I'd kind of like to at least see the movie again. Better than most of the shit I read in school.

For some reason it didn't occur to me that this book might exist outside of the US.

Yeah we read it awhile back as well, same with Animal Farm - both books that I've reread since purely because I didn't really pay attention at the time.

And Optimum, American Tabloid is an awesome book.
Spoiler
QUOTE (Zacko @ Jan 14 2010, 04:25 PM) *
QUOTE (Massacre @ Jan 14 2010, 03:11 AM) *

Yeah we read it awhile back as well, same with Animal Farm - both books that I've reread since purely because I didn't really pay attention at the time.

And Optimum, American Tabloid is an awesome book.

talk about Animal Farm. have anyone read Brave New World?
Marney1
I used to be something of a bookworm but the last few years I've only been reading material which is essential to my work to keep me up to date with certain legislations and latest working practices but I thought I'd contribute to this thread by posting this.

Times 100 Best Books of The Decade.
Spoiler
QUOTE (marney1 @ Jan 17 2010, 07:41 PM) *
I used to be something of a bookworm but the last few years I've only been reading material which is essential to my work to keep me up to date with certain legislations and latest working practices but I thought I'd contribute to this thread by posting this.

Times 100 Best Books of The Decade.

thanks. now that i see the list, i have read total zero out of 100. there are 2 books about 9-11 and why is Harry Potter there?? i hate harry potter and everything related to him!i dnt even watch the movies.
Massacre
I didn't read the list, but I'll bet I haven't read anything on it. The only recently published books I've read are the two Gears of War novels.
OptimumPx
Twilight is on the list.

Why the hell did Twilight get in the top 1000 much less top 100. dry.gif

The only book on that list that I've ever read was The Da Vinci Code, which isn't as good of a book as people make it out to be. sleep.gif
Spoiler
QUOTE (OptimumPx @ Jan 19 2010, 09:47 PM) *
Twilight is on the list.

Why the hell did Twilight get in the top 1000 much less top 100. dry.gif

The only book on that list that I've ever read was The Da Vinci Code, which isn't as good of a book as people make it out to be. sleep.gif

i didn't see that it was on the list. i bought a hard cover illustration version and kinda like it though.
ViceMan
'Which book did you recently finish?'

Currently reading one called Green Mars, it's fairly decent but I haven't got into the bulk of it yet. One of the best books i've read was called Century Rain, it's part sci-fi, part film-noir. That was a good few years ago though. I like books with two or more parallel stories occuring at once that eventually converge on a single point... And sci-fi.

Greg Bear - Eon (never finished reading this for some reason, although I was only about 10 when I read it, and if you read it yourself you'll probably understand why.)
Pieface
In my work, I've been sorting out our Library. Found a few books from around 1810, and loads pre-world war 2
Marney1
QUOTE (Pieface @ Jan 22 2010, 12:55 PM) *
In my work, I've been sorting out our Library. Found a few books from around 1810, and loads pre-world war 2

I've got a book from the 50's (Householder's Guide To Plumbing) which is an interesting read - for me anyway - because it shows some old working practices and techniques plus the old specs of systems. I've worked in really old houses and some have even still had gas lamps on the walls and one was still using a hot water cylinder from 1937 which was still working perfectly.
Anyway because it's from the 50's it's not politicaly correct and it raves on about how copper will soon be favoured over lead for pipework and also about the introduction of acrylic baths. It says that these new plastic baths don't like cigarettes so if you're smoking in the bath be careful not to let it come into contact with the lit ciggie.
It goes on to say that the housewife should find it easy to clean because of it's smooth surface.
ThomasH
Just purchased the book: "The Power of now" can't wait to read it. smile.gif
Pieface
QUOTE (Marney1 @ Jan 22 2010, 05:13 PM) *
QUOTE (Pieface @ Jan 22 2010, 12:55 PM) *

I've got a book from the 50's (Householder's Guide To Plumbing) which is an interesting read - for me anyway - because it shows some old working practices and techniques plus the old specs of systems. I've worked in really old houses and some have even still had gas lamps on the walls and one was still using a hot water cylinder from 1937 which was still working perfectly.
Anyway because it's from the 50's it's not politicaly correct and it raves on about how copper will soon be favoured over lead for pipework and also about the introduction of acrylic baths. It says that these new plastic baths don't like cigarettes so if you're smoking in the bath be careful not to let it come into contact with the lit ciggie.
It goes on to say that the housewife should find it easy to clean because of it's smooth surface.

I found a book in 1920 about Modern History. I lol'd.
Marney1
My dad is a joiner and he's just found a carpentry book from (around) 1845. I'll be really sad and post a pic sometime.

@Pieface, that's around the time real history was last written with truth and accuracy instead of doctored.
0bs3n3
School's been making me read lately.

- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- Rommel: The End of a Legend by Ralf Georg Reuth

and I'm in the middle of reading A History of Warfare by John Keegan out of general interest. Really like it, might pick up some more of his books sometime.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.