Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Google blocks image First Lady finds offensive
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > Political & World News
Massacre
What a load of shit...
Heartless
One of the first returns for a bush google is bushorchimp.com
Massacre
I don't consider it the slightest bit racist to point out how much Barack and Michelle both look like monkeys.
Heartless
I just wanted to highlight the double standard. And shame on google for caving to the demands of government censorship.
OptimumPx
QUOTE (Heartless @ Nov 25 2009, 04:43 PM) *
One of the first returns for a bush google is bushorchimp.com

That's not what I get.

Anyway, its not government based censorship. They received criticism for the picture appearing as one of the top five images in the search for her name. After all comparing a black person to a monkey is a historical racial joke.

So even though Bush was also displayed as a monkey in popular culture when you search for his name that image doesn't come up unless you specifically add the word 'monkey' to the search. Now Michelle Obama's search is the same.
Heartless

Second Image, you lose. And besides, you sound like an apologist. Guess what, being a public figure means you're required to labour the slings and arrows of free media. Bowing to public or private pressure to alter content is censorship.
OptimumPx
Hey nobody said anything about kitten eating. Kitten eating is a time honored tradition after all. smile.gif

This is most likely the image in question. The idea of calling a black person a money is a long held racist remark, specifically so.

Also neither Google nor the people who made those images (both Bush and Obama) are the 'media.' Besides the pictures are still available, so it's not censored.
Heartless
And I'm saying it's a time honored tradition of equating our elected officials to feces tossing primates. So what if it's racist - I knew that already. But they called bush a warmongering coke addled cowboy. It's always been a game of stereotypes, and I don't feel a search engine should act as umpire.
TreeFitty
They did stop the whole "miserable failure" thing...

(Not siding with Google on this topic)
Qdeathstar
That image was placed in that spot in a means that was in violation of google terms of service. It was googlebombed into place, which is against google's rules.... so who cares.

When people search "Michelle Obama" 95% of them aren't searching for that.

With Google letting the Obama image stand, a Twitter user who identified herself as Jill Harper of Indianapolis, Indiana, suggested a different tack: Point out the person who posted the photo.

"Instead of Google deleting the photo, there should be a campaign against the person who posted the photo," she said by e-mail. "Make a publicized attack noting the outrage of displaying such an offensive photo. This way, the person who posted it would feel the public outcry to pull the photo."

Worst fucking idea ever. Lets all call her and 1 am and complain that we find this idea horrible.

812 428-9100
TreeFitty
QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Nov 27 2009, 07:13 PM) *
"Instead of Google deleting the photo, there should be a campaign against the person who posted the photo," she said by e-mail. "Make a publicized attack noting the outrage of displaying such an offensive photo. This way, the person who posted it would feel the public outcry to pull the photo."

Worst fucking idea ever. Lets all call her and 1 am and complain that we find this idea horrible.

812 428-9100

I think this idea needs to make it over to /b/. thumbup.gif
Heartless
I got a paint store.
Hardcore Ottoman
The image isn't blocked peoples. They just edited the search results so that when you search for Michelle Obama that doesn't come up. Now you have to add monkey or whatever. Hardly censorship. More like improvement in the integrity of the search engine. Georgy W Bush didn't get the treatment though. That's a double standard as it seems right now, I agree.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.