Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swine Flu
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Marney1
My answer; NO FUCKING WAY!
trathen93
ive heared that the side effects of the vaccine can be pretty extreme. my brothers mate was given them tamiflu things at the slight possibility of having it and he was worse from the side effects than anything else.
Marney1
I'll take my chances with the virus instead of recieving a dangerous dose of mercury thanks.
§ynch
QUOTE (marney1 @ Oct 4 2009, 10:33 AM) *
I'll take my chances with the virus instead of recieving a dangerous dose of mercury thanks.

Yup. I stopped getting flu vaccines a few years ago because it game me hell-flu.

Q: The people who go to work sick the most, and share the hell?

A: Managers.

F-ing dickheads.
Kamahl
No, the swine flu isnt really that bad...
The Awesome One
I will probably have it if its been offered to me and 70% have taken it. Im not bothered if I catch swine flu though.
Marney1
QUOTE (Captain.Charisma @ Oct 4 2009, 07:51 PM) *
I will probably have it if its been offered to me and 70% have taken it. Im not bothered if I catch swine flu though.

Are you saying 70% have taken the vaccine or you will have it if 70% of the nation takes it first?
DuPz0r
QUOTE (El-Nino @ Oct 4 2009, 06:17 PM) *
ive heared that the side effects of the vaccine can be pretty extreme. my brothers mate was given them tamiflu things at the slight possibility of having it and he was worse from the side effects than anything else.

I had tamiflu, and the answer is yes, it does make you feel much worse. I felt like a had a general flu before i took them, afterwards i was sick, i had diarrhea and i was in bed for two days before i decided to stop taking it. Then what a surprise, i got better without the rest of them.
The Awesome One
QUOTE (marney1 @ Oct 4 2009, 07:56 PM) *
QUOTE (Captain.Charisma @ Oct 4 2009, 07:51 PM) *

Are you saying 70% have taken the vaccine or you will have it if 70% of the nation takes it first?

70% will take it first.
Hardcore Ottoman
Nope. My friend beat it in a week when he got the Swine. Doesn't seem so bad.
DANNY B0Y
My answer - FUCK OFF, NO! I haven't got it yet, I ain't worrying about it unless I catch the fucking virus. It's like Bird Flu - they're having a go at making a big thing out of nothing. People dying from swine flu - more people have died from regular flu.

And anyway, I thought you cannot get a vaccination for viral infections - virus cells mutate and change, so unless there's a miracle gonna happen, there is no way to get a swine flu vaccine.

Achievements
anomalous_result
QUOTE (Dan Stephen @ Oct 5 2009, 11:20 AM) *
And anyway, I thought you cannot get a vaccination for viral infections - virus cells mutate and change, so unless there's a miracle gonna happen, there is no way to get a swine flu vaccine.

Yeah they change but every winter we get a new vaccine developed for that season's dominant mutation. Anyway the death rate from confirmed cases is 0.5%, which isn't much. Compared to the death rate of H5N1 avian flu which is running at 60% of confirmed cases ending in death, it ain't bad at all.
Darth Sexy
QUOTE (Dan Stephen @ Oct 5 2009, 08:20 PM) *
My answer - FUCK OFF, NO! I haven't got it yet, I ain't worrying about it unless I catch the fucking virus. It's like Bird Flu - they're having a go at making a big thing out of nothing. People dying from swine flu - more people have died from regular flu.

Achievements

I believe they vaccinate against the current strain of flu, which then mutates, hence the need for a new vaccine each year. I have no idea how the swine flu vaccination works, though. I've never bothered with flu shots, so unless swine flu is proven to be dangerous (ignore the media hype) I won't bother.
Leon Kennedy
It's just the flu. Nothing more, nothing less. And I refuse to let the government tell me if I have to get the vaccination or not. Which I won't get. If I get the flu, big deal. Some chicken soup, a lot of rest, and a nice tall glass of orange juice will cure it. That's what's always worked for me in the past - why should this be any different?
Marney1
Line up everyone the poison vaccine is here. !
trathen93
im not gonig near the vaccine after what everyone on here has said. i didnt know that everyones opinion was the same.
screw the tamiflu
Marney1
QUOTE (El-Nino @ Oct 5 2009, 10:28 PM) *
im not gonig near the vaccine after what everyone on here has said. i didnt know that everyones opinion was the same.
screw the tamiflu

It's not the Tamiflu, this is the actual vaccine which contains dangerous amounts of mercury that our governments are so keen to give us.
PabloHoneyOle
I'm not a big fan of vaccines; I've seen one too many zombie movies to know not to take any mass vaccines.

That reminds me I need to practice my headshot shotgun skills before the H1N1 zombie apocolypse.
Tranque
Sure, I put my faith in modern science.
Seeen
QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Oct 5 2009, 06:35 PM) *
I'm not a big fan of vaccines; I've seen one too many zombie movies to know not to take any mass vaccines.

That reminds me I need to practice my headshot shotgun skills before the H1N1 zombie apocolypse.

Damn, Stoic... Somehow, you're always ahead of the game. I was gonna say something about this all being a massive zombie-spawning ploy but you're already on top of that shit.
Marney1
QUOTE (Tranque @ Oct 6 2009, 04:50 AM) *

You're shitting me? You would allow someone to inject you with mercury, the second most lethal element known to man? The only thing worse is uranium!
Psy
Anyone who dies from Swine Flu should frankly be embarassed.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (Seeen @ Oct 6 2009, 01:30 AM) *
QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Oct 5 2009, 06:35 PM) *

Damn, Stoic... Somehow, you're always ahead of the game. I was gonna say something about this all being a massive zombie-spawning ploy but you're already on top of that shit.

I've been planning for it for years. My house is already stocked with 20 years worth of canned food; stock-piled with an arsenal that would make the Taliban jealous and my house has been rigged with booby traps; my yard with electric fences, landmines and motion-activated 50-caliber machine guns. I've also been keeping a stable of women in my basement so I can repopulate the Earth and spawn my own army of H1N1 Zombie Killers.

You and one of your family members are invited to join me should the Swine Flu vaccine actually create a race of Zombies.

Hardcore Ottoman
I move too much so I'm out of luck. I'll meet up with you Stoic if shit gets real. Don't worry, I won't complain about the weed tongue.gif
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (punxtr @ Oct 6 2009, 03:42 PM) *
I move too much so I'm out of luck. I'll meet up with you Stoic if shit gets real. Don't worry, I won't complain about the weed tongue.gif

Marijuana is the cure for swine flu.
Hardcore Ottoman
Good to know. smile.gif
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
QUOTE (marney1 @ Oct 6 2009, 09:03 AM) *

You're shitting me? You would allow someone to inject you with mercury, the second most lethal element known to man? The only thing worse is uranium!
I take it chemistry isn't your forte.

QUOTE (Psy @ Oct 6 2009, 11:17 AM) *
Man up you immune suppressed faggots.
Marney1
QUOTE (Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester @ Oct 7 2009, 01:14 AM) *

To a certain extent it is actually but if I'm wrong then why not correct me for the benefit of the people reading this.
QUOTE (marney1 @ Oct 7 2009, 01:34 AM) *

To a certain extent it is actually but if I'm wrong then why not correct me for the benefit of the people reading this.
Really? And yet you'd rather eat a tiny bit of caesium than a tiny bit of mercury?

The proportions of mercury in the 2006 tamiflu batches (for these were the last ones that raised concern) were not enough to be particularly damaging, other than for children in the autistic spectrum.

If you'd like to point me to something peer-reviewed that has strong evidence that it is still a point of contention, that would be useful.
Darth Sexy
QUOTE (Psy @ Oct 6 2009, 08:17 PM) *

I like the way you think.
Marney1
QUOTE (Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester @ Oct 7 2009, 12:28 PM) *
QUOTE (marney1 @ Oct 7 2009, 01:34 AM) *

Really? And yet you'd rather eat a tiny bit of caesium than a tiny bit of mercury?

The proportions of mercury in the 2006 tamiflu batches (for these were the last ones that raised concern) were not enough to be particularly damaging, other than for children in the autistic spectrum.

If you'd like to point me to something peer-reviewed that has strong evidence that it is still a point of contention, that would be useful.

Stop talking in riddles and just say exactly what you mean.
Mercury is not as bad for you as you are claiming.

Tamiflu now does not have a dangerous amount of mercury in it.

No one is sure if it ever did.

Show me a link to a reliable source which backs your argument up.
Tranque
QUOTE (Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester @ Oct 7 2009, 08:35 PM) *

NO OMG IT HAS MURCURY IN IT YOU WILL DIE!
Sarcasm^

Apple seeds have cyanide in it too, should I stop eating apples?
Marney1
QUOTE (Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester @ Oct 7 2009, 08:35 PM) *

I'm talking about the vaccine, not Tamiflu.

If anyone can find the exact ingredients and the amounts of each, please post them here. For now I have found the package inserts of two of the known four vaccines;

[1]Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine: Manufactured by CSL Limited

Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine, for intramuscular injection, is a sterile, clear, colorless to slightly opalescent suspension with some sediment that resuspends upon shaking to form a homogeneous suspension. Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine is prepared from influenza virus propagated in the allantoic fluid of embryonated chicken eggs. Following harvest, the virus is purified in a sucrose density gradient using a continuous flow zonal centrifuge. The purified virus is inactivated with beta-propiolactone, and the virus particles are disrupted using sodium taurodeoxycholate to produce a “split virion”. The disrupted virus is further purified and suspended in a phosphate buffered isotonic solution.

Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine is formulated to contain 15 mcg HA per 0.5 mL dose of influenza A/California/7/2009 (H1N1)v-like virus.

The single-dose formulation is preservative-free; thimerosal, a mercury derivative, is not used in the manufacturing process for this formulation. The multi-dose formulation contains thimerosal, added as a preservative; each 0.5 mL dose contains 24.5 mcg of mercury.

A single 0.5 mL dose of Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine contains sodium chloride (4.1 mg), monobasic sodium phosphate (80 mcg), dibasic sodium phosphate (300 mcg), monobasic potassium phosphate (20 mcg), potassium chloride (20 mcg), and calcium chloride (1.5 mcg). From the manufacturing process, each dose may also contain residual amounts of sodium taurodeoxycholate (≤ 10 ppm), ovalbumin (≤ 1 mcg), neomycin sulfate (≤ 0.2 picograms [pg]), polymyxin B (≤ 0.03 pg), and beta-propiolactone.

[2]Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine: Manufactured by Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics Ltd.
PDF

The safety and effectiveness of [2]^ has not been established for preganant women or children; the very people our governments want to give it to as a priority.

I know all this is tl;dr stuff for some people but when the time comes where you have to decide to take it or not you may want to read it.

And this: Thimerosal in vaccines.
-Toge-
Marney you pig[/thread]
Marney1
QUOTE (-Toge- @ Oct 7 2009, 10:35 PM) *
Marney you pig[/thread]

Great contribution -Toge- ^ Thought you were banned or was that Toge?
Look up the amount of methylmercury in shellfish, it might give a bit of perspective.
Marney1
QUOTE (Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester @ Oct 8 2009, 10:29 AM) *
Look up the amount of methylmercury in shellfish, it might give a bit of perspective.

Yeah, I know about that already and every other sea creature is contaminated too sadly. The message I'm actually trying to get across to everyone is this; If you are going to take any medication or vaccine (especially where it concerns children) then read up on the ingredients and side effects of them, don't put your trust in any government health expert because at the end of the day they are paid to say what they are told to say.

Will we see Obama or Gordon Brown or even their children taking the shot? If you see no evidence of this then think why.
Yeah, that's more a reason to be suspicious of absolutely everything in the world than the vaccine specifically. Surely?

Marney1
QUOTE (Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester @ Oct 9 2009, 03:45 AM) *
Yeah, that's more a reason to be suspicious of absolutely everything in the world than the vaccine specifically. Surely?

Having some suspicion about certain things that could affect your health isn't a bad thing.
QUOTE (marney1 @ Oct 9 2009, 08:09 AM) *

Having some suspicion about certain things that could affect your health isn't a bad thing.
Education and targetted scepticism always beat sensational claims.

Look at MMR -- there is no evidence that it "causes" autism: the studies which suggested it did were widely discreditted. Reliable, strong randomised trials proving otherwise number in the scores and a high profile trial rules unequivocally in the vaccine's favour.* But as a result of the bad publicity from Wakefield et al. (Lancet 1998), rates of measles went up 2000% in England and Wales between 1997 and 2004. Had the NHS yielded to media pressure and withdrawn the vaccine, one of the only true "miracle cures" in the world would be gone, and measles and rubella especially could continue to kill hundreds a year in the UK as it did before the vaccine was introduced.

I would rather know all kinds about the epidemiology of a vaccine before I go shouting about it to anyone who'll listen.

*Notably, it's the same preservative in question here (thiomersal) to which the controversy was attached when taken in tandem with the MMR. Because of the importance of the MMR scare, this mercury-containing compound is one of the most robustly tested compounds in pharmacology, and is still widely used.
DuffMan
I'll be getting the vaccine. I'm one of the people in the high risk group - if I get flu of any kind, I could die pretty easily, so I'm willing to take any side effects the vaccine has tbh.
QUOTE (DuffMan @ Oct 9 2009, 03:58 PM) *
I'll be getting the vaccine. I'm one of the people in the high risk group - if I get flu of any kind, I could die pretty easily, so I'm willing to take any side effects the vaccine has tbh.
Pregnant juvenile seriously ill elderly. JSPIE YEEAH.

Which are you, or is there something I hain't bein' told?
DuffMan
QUOTE (Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester @ Oct 9 2009, 07:47 PM) *
QUOTE (DuffMan @ Oct 9 2009, 03:58 PM) *
Pregnant juvenile seriously ill elderly. JSPIE YEEAH.

Which are you, or is there something I hain't bein' told?

Type 1 diabetic. Whether you count that as seriously ill or not I dunno.
Heartless
I'm more then a little nervous about randomly sticking myself with government drugs, given their track record. I'll wait and see how the first wave fares the volley before considering when and if I get mine.
Marney1
QUOTE (Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester @ Oct 9 2009, 11:33 AM) *

Look at MMR -- there is no evidence that it "causes" autism: the studies which suggested it did were widely discreditted. Reliable, strong randomised trials proving otherwise number in the scores and a high profile trial rules unequivocally in the vaccine's favour.* But as a result of the bad publicity from Wakefield et al. (Lancet 1998), rates of measles went up 2000% in England and Wales between 1997 and 2004. Had the NHS yielded to media pressure and withdrawn the vaccine, one of the only true "miracle cures" in the world would be gone, and measles and rubella especially could continue to kill hundreds a year in the UK as it did before the vaccine was introduced.

I would rather know all kinds about the epidemiology of a vaccine before I go shouting about it to anyone who'll listen.

*Notably, it's the same preservative in question here (thiomersal) to which the controversy was attached when taken in tandem with the MMR. Because of the importance of the MMR scare, this mercury-containing compound is one of the most robustly tested compounds in pharmacology, and is still widely used.

What Causes Autism?

And This.
QUOTE (marney1 @ Oct 9 2009, 08:33 PM) *
QUOTE (Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester @ Oct 9 2009, 11:33 AM) *

What Causes Autism?

And This.
Oh for God's sake. Are you serious? Do I really have to prove that MMR doesn't cause autism, all over again? Is the world's most comprehensively proven, ridden-until-it-died, ridiculously obvious hypothesis still not good enough for you, because you can still find "natural remedy" sites and a special interest groups with an easy Google search? The first link makes one direct claim and one mention of corellation.

"A growing number of scientists and researchers believe that a relationship between the increase in neurodevelopmental disorders of autism, attention deficit hyperactive disorder, and speech or language delay, and the increased use of thimerosal in vaccines is plausible and deserves more scrutiny."

This is not true, it's one of the most analysed compounds in modern medicine.

"The United States is in the midst of a tragic epidemic of autism."

Aside from being a really stupid thing to say, that can be put down to better diagnosis.

The second link is pretty brave, in that it's a natural remedies site (no vested interests, I'm sure) which appeals to authority and wrong numbers in the same way as the first.

Would you be as easily convinced by AIDS denialists? Seriously, don't make an idiot out of yourself just because there's enough confusing wrong evidence on the Internet to keep uneducated bystanders confused.
Marney1
@Mellow;

I'm not claiming (unlike you) to be an expert on the vaccines which is why I'm trying to find anything I can about them. Whatever source of information I post you try to debunk with what appears to be your own words.
I haven't been able to find any sources saying that the vaccines are good for you, why don't you provide a link to your sources?

If you can convince me that what you're telling me about these things is correct I'll throw my hands up and admit you're right, I just want the facts.
I'm a fifth year medical student, by the common standards exhibited in this field, I am an expert. Certainly more than a "civilian journalist" for a healthfood NGO. The reason I haven't quoted anything yet is because these things are so widely accepted that you'd barely need to reference them in a journal these days...

But. Search PubMed, Nature, Lancet, even New Scientist...these things tend not to be easily linkable, but they're the only good scientific sources you're going to get. But, if MMR and T'sal need vindicated again...:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8268302.stm

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php?/site/article/6283/

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/09September/Pa...tism-rates.aspx

http://www.healthwatch-uk.org/mmr.pdf

http://www.mmrthefacts.nhs.uk/library/studies.php

http://www.dukehealth.org/HealthLibrary/Ad...cine_and_autism

http://www.sense.org.uk/what_is_deafblindn...owel_autism.htm

http://www.needletips.org/catg.d/p4026.pdf (possibly the most important one, look at it all)

http://www.nursingtimes.net/whats-new-in-n...5006622.article

http://www.who.int/vaccine_safety/topics/m...m/en/index.html

http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/boo...ines/MMRUK.html

http://actionforautism.co.uk/2009/09/19/na...t-cause-autism/

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH?d=dmt...,EMIHC000|~b,*|

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/324/73...type=1,2,3,4,10

I could go on.
Marney1
I'm too busy to read all of those at the moment but I will get round to it soon, this is a debate about an important issue so I'll post a response soon. Like I said, I'm after facts and if your sources convince me then we can call it a day.

Edit:

"Today, with the exception of some Influenza (flu) vaccines, none of the vaccines used in the U.S. to protect preschool children against 12 infectious diseases contain thimerosal as a preservative." (Maldives Health)

Although I accept your arguement that the MMR vaccine appears to have (statistically) no link with autism there are many experts who dispute this which still leaves the jury out on this one.

Anyway that said, I was never really interested in the MMR vaccine (you brought that up) I'm just interested in the H1N1 vaccines.

What benefits are there to be had from these vaccines?

What (if any) amount of mercury/thimerosal is a safe amount?

What are the exact (measures) ingredients of the H1N1 vaccines?

What are all of the side effects (long term as well as short)?

Is thimerosal even needed in the vaccine?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.