Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minorities under-represented
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > Geek Central
DuPz0r
Game census concludes that there is far too many white lead characters in-game, and that the games industry is under representing minorities...

I'm sorry, but that is kind of silly. I understand that different people in different countries play games. But i don't see them complaining that most of their games characters are western and look nothing like them or their friends...

Will Rockstar North make the next GTA lead character a Ladyboy from North Korea called Dong just keep up the Asian balance?!

lmao
Mekstizzle
Now let's look at the demographics of who plays games and... surprise surprise, it probably fits that chart quite well. Although I suppose the Japanese game industry doesn't exactly promote Japanese people. They always seem to use Western/European characters instead. Even if the games aren't even being marketed to the west. Not sure why they do that to themselves.

And if it's not that, then it's these freakish looking anime characters of ambiguous race and gender.
Massacre
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 23 2009, 12:06 PM) *
Will Rockstar North make the next GTA lead character a Ladyboy from North Korea called Dong just keep up the Asian balance?!

I'd play that shit.

I'll post something on-topic when I think of it...
Heartless
Whoever wants to be the guy who makes a game about a black man wielding a chain-gun, mowing down white-people, go right ahead.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (sve knjige svijeta @ Sep 23 2009, 01:20 PM) *
Whoever wants to be the guy who makes a game about a black man wielding a chain-gun, mowing down white-people, go right ahead.

LOL.

Exactly. Could you imagine the reverse of Resident Evil 5? A black guy and a white chick (who looks black) come to America to kill white people infected with a virus that isn't AIDS or Sickle-Cell Anemia. The main character, an black mercenary from Africa named Leroy Jenkins and his American female contact, Susie Johnson battle an outbreak of swine flu in an upper-class suburb of San Francisco. Children, women and men of the community have become ill and it's up to Leroy to contain the spread of the virus by any means necessary. Battle the infected in levels that include: Posh Shopping Mall; Busy Organic Grocery Store; an exclusive Country Club and a Catholic Church.
Massacre
Great idea.
Benzilla
I don't play games with protagonists that aren't white.
HB~Sauce
I'd play Stoic's game and get back at all da honkey's.

But as Mek said, it seems proportional to the people that play video games...
Benzilla
QUOTE (HB~Sauce @ Sep 23 2009, 09:16 PM) *

Are you saying black people can't afford gaming consoles? You racist bastard.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (Benzilla @ Sep 23 2009, 04:21 PM) *

Yo nigguh, check dis shit right hurr. I just scrapped me a Sega Dreamcast from my nigguh T-Bone for two rocks and a foaty. Wat you mean der ain't no black protagamists?
DuPz0r
QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Sep 23 2009, 08:20 PM) *

LOL.

Exactly. Could you imagine the reverse of Resident Evil 5? A black guy and a white chick (who looks black) come to America to kill white people infected with a virus that isn't AIDS or Sickle-Cell Anemia. The main character, an black mercenary from Africa named Leroy Jenkins and his American female contact, Susie Johnson battle an outbreak of swine flu in an upper-class suburb of San Francisco. Children, women and men of the community have become ill and it's up to Leroy to contain the spread of the virus by any means necessary. Battle the infected in levels that include: Posh Shopping Mall; Busy Organic Grocery Store; an exclusive Country Club and a Catholic Church.

LOL

That would be cool. I'd love to run around with an AK shooting high-class Americans in the head on a game. It's just as fair imo as running around Nigeria shooting Nukka's!
HB~Sauce
QUOTE (Benzilla @ Sep 23 2009, 02:21 PM) *

Hey, I call a spade a spade. laugh.gif
Tranque
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 23 2009, 08:50 PM) *

LOL.

LOL

That would be cool. I'd love to run around with an AK shooting high-class Americans in the head on a game. It's just as fair imo as running around Nigeria shooting Nukka's!

Step One: Attain Assault Rifle in GTA4

Step Two: Go to the Superstar Cafe.

Step Three: Repeat as needed.
TheAnalogKid2112
White men make better leads. End of story.
Benzilla
QUOTE (sve knjige svijeta @ Sep 23 2009, 06:20 PM) *

Sigged.
Qdeathstar
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 23 2009, 04:06 PM) *
Game census concludes that there is far too many white lead characters in-game, and that the games industry is under representing minorities...

I'm sorry, but that is kind of silly. I understand that different people in different countries play games. But i don't see them complaining that most of their games characters are western and look nothing like them or their friends...

lmao

meh, who cares? You know why most of the characters are white? Thank about who most of our national hero's/historical heros are? White men. Maybe now that Obama is in office we'll get some more racial variety. But i don't really care about playing as a black woman with a bad attitude. :-/

And, they should consider all ninja's to be asian... even the super mutant ninja turtles. But they don't, do they?
DiO
QUOTE (Tranque @ Sep 23 2009, 05:41 PM) *
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 23 2009, 08:50 PM) *

LOL.

LOL

Step One: Attain Assault Rifle in GTA4

Step Two: ???

Step Three: Profit!

FiX'd.

All I need to say is GTA SA. Nigger lead, amazing game.
DANNY B0Y
Fuck, I don't know. At the end of the day, most (if not all) gaming industries are stereotypes. There's less individuality.
TreeFitty
QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Sep 24 2009, 03:11 PM) *
...Maybe now that Obama is in office we'll get some more racial variety. ...

Someone was telling me that the amount of minorities in advertising increased since the election. No concrete source on that though.

QUOTE (Disco Dennis @ Nov 20 2009, 03:05 PM) *
Fuck, I don't know. At the end of the day, most (if not all) gaming industries are stereotypes. There's less individuality.

Stereotypes help people easily identify someone. No need to explain their background or a lot about them.
The Awesome One
The blacks need to stop moaning. I swear racism was invented by the blacks because they were jealous of us whites.

^Also my theory on racism.
new major on the block
Well i doubt they counted all the characters in all the sports games cause most of them are black. Take every NFL and NBA game ever made and count all the minorities on all the teams, i'd say they start totaling up to a higher number than first shown.

But who really gives a rats ass whose really represented in games. The numbers speak for themselves. As long as people keep playing and purchasing certain types of games, they're gonna continue to make them.
Skinny†
Aren't like 80% of people white in the US anyway?
Qdeathstar
Not white, we prefer the term "Clear"
Marney1
If we go into a classy suburb in a game then let's see whites, in China Town - Chinese, building sites - Polish, Airport arrivals lounge - Pakistani's, slum areas - black people. Keep it real!
Hardcore Ottoman
I, um, can't stand how racist this topic is. Seriously. My only personal response, CC, you're a moron. Seriously. You have no idea the shit that still exists today.
Handsome B Wonderful
What about all the Germans who have died in the name of the pixellated third reich? They've been sterotyped more than any other group of people in gaming.

That being said, where's a black main character for a WWII game? The fact there were very few involved with the war (especially on the nazi side. Although, who can forget Herr Cosby? "Americans? With die shooting und die bomben und die ar-ar-ar") is irrelevant.
The Awesome One
Cant please you lot can I? A few monthes back I complain about the racism, but you guys want it to stay.
TreeFitty
You wanted it banned from the whole forum to which everyone said "fuck you". Not liking racism and banning it from the entire forum are different things.
The Awesome One
Im not gonna bother arguing my case, lets just get this topic back on track.

I think that the blacks have better roles. CJ-San Andreas, Cole-Gears of War..
Hardcore Ottoman
QUOTE (Captain.Charisma @ Nov 22 2009, 05:32 AM) *

Trying to act like you like black people more is no better dude. White supremacist groups have black figureheads sometimes.
Darth Sexy
QUOTE (punxtr @ Nov 23 2009, 12:28 PM) *

Trying to act like you like black people more is no better dude. White supremacist groups have black figureheads sometimes.

So if CC likes black people, he's racist, and if he doesn't like them, he's racist? Sorry CC, Punxtr has declared you're a racist. Hang your head in shame!

I know I'm late to the party, but Stoic's idea of a game sounds fucking awesome. Running With Scissors should use the idea, making it politically correct, of course.

Skinny†

What are you babbling about, you fucking git?
The Awesome One
QUOTE (punxtr @ Nov 23 2009, 01:28 AM) *

[url="http://www.igrandtheftauto.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=793768"Check this and it will confirm im not racist. [/url]

In that URL lots of people say that they will be racist on IGTA, but not in real life .

One more thing: Why arent you having a go at marney??
Marney1
QUOTE (Captain.Charisma @ Nov 23 2009, 07:46 PM) *
QUOTE (punxtr @ Nov 23 2009, 01:28 AM) *

[url="http://www.igrandtheftauto.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=793768"Check this and it will confirm im not racist. [/url]

In that URL lots of people say that they will be racist on IGTA, but not in real life .

One more thing: Why arent you having a go at marney??

Why do you insist on grassing me up all the time? What I said can be translated as either banter or fact so it's up to individuals to decide what I mean. And before you start I don't have an ounce of racial hatred in me.
The Awesome One
Marney, I know youre not racist. I consider you as a mate, even when we're slashing each others throats.

Fixed linky, Fucked up last one.
The fixed link above will prove im not racist. We have all told are fair share of racist jokes, but do we agree with the jokes we say?

Soz if I offended anybody, I did take it too far.
TreeFitty
All I can say is that I laugh when people back up stereotypes of their people. Even whiteys. "It's not racist if it's true"
Hardcore Ottoman
QUOTE (‹berPimpGendoIkari @ Nov 23 2009, 01:00 AM) *

It's quite common to hear that from white people who are very defensive when it comes to color. If CC really said what he meant in that link, he would never utter a racist joke ever again. They perpetuate stereotypes in the name of comedy. How is that better?

We're in Geek Central by the way, not RNR, don't betray your lack of intelligence just yet Skinny.
The Awesome One
QUOTE (punxtr @ Nov 24 2009, 03:37 AM) *

It's quite common to hear that from white people who are very defensive when it comes to color. If CC really said what he meant in that link, he would never utter a racist joke ever again. They perpetuate stereotypes in the name of comedy. How is that better?

We're in Geek Central by the way, not RNR, don't betray your lack of intelligence just yet Skinny.

Did you read all of the topic? Somebody said they are racist on here, but not in real life. No blacks have had any problems with it, its not real life, its OK. If you have a problem with it, even though nobody here is racist, complain.
Skinny†
QUOTE (punxtr @ Nov 24 2009, 02:37 PM) *

No, why are you trying to draw a parallel between what CC said and white supremacist groups having black figure heads? Obviously it's not the same thing, and I can't help but think you brought it up ostentatiously. You're just blowing everything out of proportion, and getting all up in arms about JOKES on the internet. Jokes you probably weren't even offended by...

Oh sorry, I forgot you had a higher average IQ (112?), and attended a cultural sensitivity seminar. Far be it for me to have an opinion that differs form yours
Hardcore Ottoman
Grow up. Yes, I did bring up a broader observation about white supremacist groups. Yes I did get upset about racism on the Internet. Yes. It's how I try and deal with this crap.

And don't get your panties in a bunch just because I called you out on your stupid comment. Don't call me a fucking git ever again.
Skinny†
QUOTE (punxtr @ Nov 25 2009, 01:39 PM) *
Grow up. Yes, I did bring up a broader observation about white supremacist groups. Yes I did get upset about racism on the Internet.

An irrelevant and pretentious observation about white supremacist groups. And try "needlessly upset about jokes". It isn't racism, they're jokes

And don't get your panties in a bunch

Lol, eloquent.

Now shut the fuck up, you dim git.
Darth Sexy
QUOTE (punxtr @ Nov 25 2009, 12:39 PM) *
And don't get your panties in a bunch just because I called you out on your stupid comment. Don't call me a fucking git ever again.

This in no way involves me, but I am eager to know what you'll do if Skinny calls you a fucking git again. My guess is idle threats, but you may surprise me.
Hardcore Ottoman
QUOTE (‹berPimpGendoIkari @ Nov 24 2009, 10:37 PM) *
QUOTE (punxtr @ Nov 25 2009, 01:39 PM) *
Grow up. Yes, I did bring up a broader observation about white supremacist groups. Yes I did get upset about racism on the Internet.

An irrelevant and pretentious observation about white supremacist groups. And try "needlessly upset about jokes". It isn't racism, they're jokes
It is quite relevant. Why is it that CC suddenly had to have certain people back him up; him post a link showing his better judgment; him explaining he liked black GTA protagonists better. They are racist jokes. Don't feel confortable using them. Anyone could visit this site and be offended. The Internet isn't all lols, if it was everyone would find Stormfront funny...

And don't get your panties in a bunch

Lol, eloquent.

Now shut the fuck up, you dim git.

Nice comeback...

Edit--If you want to continue this I think it should be in Political. I'm hoping against R&R as it will become trash. No need to be vulgar; too late in this thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.