Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alienware
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > Geek Central
DuPz0r
PC manufacturer Alienware has been teasing a reveal at TGS that it says will "shake the gaming world to its foundation." As you can tell from the video after the jump and the company's Facebook page, there's not much more information than that to go on.

Video:

My theory:
Either they have come up with a brand new amazing super computer which wipes the floor with any other computer ever made. Or maybe they will bring out a laptop with a core i7 processor...
Or my final guess is they are going to bring out a gaming console?!

What do you think it is they are going to reveal?
Massacre
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 22 2009, 11:46 AM) *

This. But I won't buy it.
DuffMan
Either they have come up with a brand new amazing super computer which wipes the floor with any other computer ever made

That no one will be able to afford or could build yourself for a quarter of the price...

That no one will buy because we're in the middle of a generation...

Maybe some kind of social networking thing?
Benzilla
That's a good shout on them making a gaming console actually. It will probably happen. Stupid though.
anomalous_result
Alienware make money from rebadging third party components as their own or making systems built out of other company's parts and their own case. Can't quite see them having enough firepower to suddenly create a games console out of that. My guess is a gaming laptop. That is a laptop which has crappy battery life and costs twice as much as a more powerful desktop.
bOnEs
man, alienware is some of the most expensive computers i've ever seen... some look cool and all but, hardly any of us can afford a $2500 machine... i say it's a new next-gen gaming computer that costs more than a ford taurus...
DonkeyTits
I thought they already had i7 laptops.

On another note, I don't really see the difference between pc manufacturers. It's not like Alienware is creating new cpus or gpus, they're just putting together machines with existing components. Other than a fancy case? I see no reason to buy an Alienware. My point is any one can go on Newegg and build their own 'Alienware' whenever they want.

Perhaps they can get an edge with advanced laptops, as those parts aren't as easily interchangeable.
anomalous_result
Dunno if they're different in the US but there isn't an Alienware i7 laptop in the UK at least, so it could be that, or the i5, but that seems a bit new to have a laptop already.
Benzilla
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Sep 22 2009, 09:43 PM) *
man, alienware is some of the most expensive computers i've ever seen... some look cool and all but, hardly any of us can afford a $2500 machine... i say it's a new next-gen gaming computer that costs more than a ford taurus...

You really think they look nice? I think they're ugly as hell...
DuffMan
QUOTE (Benzilla @ Sep 23 2009, 01:37 PM) *

The desktop cases and monitors are nice. Lots of lights and curves and things. The laptops are awful though.
bOnEs
QUOTE (DuffMan @ Sep 23 2009, 09:43 AM) *
QUOTE (Benzilla @ Sep 23 2009, 01:37 PM) *

The desktop cases and monitors are nice. Lots of lights and curves and things. The laptops are awful though.

agreed... i like the slick design, just not the slick price tag... my next computer will be another DELL... i'll get a pretty capable gaming machine for under $1000... that's what i did 7 years ago with my current PC... it ran games for many years until the newer games just started kicking it's butt...

if alienware can make a gaming laptop i'll be impressed... but, laptops with those capabilities are just too damn expensive anyways...
DuPz0r
Alienware laptops are the same price as macbooks pro's these days. The alienware one is clearly more powerful. What would you guys prefer?
DonkeyTits
I assume it's a mobile-specific cpu, but if you go here: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/con...p;~lt=alienware
and click 'customize>cpu' it lists a few i7 options.
DuPz0r
Well i think this is their "big" surprise:
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopi...amp;lid=1057795

AlienwareTM Aurora ALX
* IntelŽ CoreTM i7 975 3.33GHz (8MB Cache) Quad Core Processor. Overclocking options available.
* AlienwareTM High-Performance Liquid Cooling.
* Dual 1.8GB NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ GTX 260 192 Core - SLIŽ Enabled.
* Up to 24GB Dual Triple-Channel 1333MHz DDR3.
* 7,200RPM Hard Drives - 500GB, 640GB, 750GB, 1TB. SSD and RAID options available.
anomalous_result
Well there's that but also laptops with a mobile i7. No word on battery life.
Mekstizzle
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 23 2009, 04:41 PM) *
Alienware laptops are the same price as macbooks pro's these days. The alienware one is clearly more powerful. What would you guys prefer?

You will ALWAYS be able to get a more powerful PC in the same price bracket with Apple Macs. You pay a massive markup for the Apple brand and the OS and the douchebag starbucks drinking image that some people think is cool with Apple etc..
DonkeyTits
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 26 2009, 12:36 PM) *
Well i think this is their "big" surprise:
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopi...amp;lid=1057795

AlienwareTM Aurora ALX
* IntelŽ CoreTM i7 975 3.33GHz (8MB Cache) Quad Core Processor. Overclocking options available.
* AlienwareTM High-Performance Liquid Cooling.
* Dual 1.8GB NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ GTX 260 192 Core - SLIŽ Enabled.
* Up to 24GB Dual Triple-Channel 1333MHz DDR3.
* 7,200RPM Hard Drives - 500GB, 640GB, 750GB, 1TB. SSD and RAID options available.

That's not a bad graphics card(s) setup, but they could have done MUCH more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.