Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Borderlands
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Other Gaming > Other Games
Pages: 1, 2
DuPz0r
This game looks sick. It looks to me a lot like Fallout 3, but that shouldn't put you off. The main feature which i find awesome is the fact you can play it 4 players co-op online. Exploring the wastelands with friends! That's great news. There is a massive selection of weapons with an amazing combination system, which allows you to mix and match attributes, bullets and abilities, giving you 1000's of unique weapons. There is a loot system which you can get random drops from enemies, and rare drops from bosses. So this is also a good reason to play for hours with friends, to get the best weaponage and armourage. The graphics are cell shaded, and look really slick, and the game runs on the Unreal engine, which is a well established engine with a lot of potential.
You get a selection of character types with different abilities and stats to boost throughout the game.

Gameplay Trailer

This game basically seems like a remixed fallout 3. Lets hope this is as fun!

It is released in October this year.

This game is a MUST!
TheAnalogKid2112
Looks pretty sick... Have to see more before I decide if I want it though.
Massacre
:18, guy in the goggles? That'll be me. biggrin.gif Hopefully everyone from the Fallout crowd will be playing this, too. I'll have to get my PS3 before this comes out, so there'll be more people on here to play with.

Game Informer says there are exactly 3,166,800 different combinations you can make with the weapon upgrades.
Heartless
I'll not lie, the game looks awesome. But the co-op reeks of left4dead.
DiO
The promos I seen for this game seemed more realistic. I didn't seem so cartoon-esque.

Massacre
They changed the look literally 3/4 of the way through development. I forget why.
DiO
QUOTE (Massacre @ Sep 20 2009, 10:32 PM) *
They changed the look literally 3/4 of the way through development. I forget why.

I like the realistic look better TBH.
Massacre
Me too. I wish I could remember why they changed it. I'll check the internet...

As far as I can tell, somebody just said "Hey, lets make the game look like our concept art." I thought it'd be deeper than that. Oh well...
DuPz0r
Maybe they thought it'd look too much like Fallout 3 if it was realistic. I mean they already have two things in common. Wasteland and vault. So cell shading it might have given it a more distinctive look.
TheAnalogKid2112
I hope the controls are as fluent and easy to use as Call of Duty's, because VATS is the sole feature that made me so good at Fallout 3. Most FPS's for me are too uncomfortable, like Fallout 3 without VATS for example.
DuffMan
Looks insane. Must be a reason it hasn't been well talked about though.
DiO
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 21 2009, 05:37 AM) *
Maybe they thought it'd look too much like Fallout 3 if it was realistic. I mean they already have two things in common. Wasteland and vault. So cell shading it might have given it a more distinctive look.

True but meh. I R like cereal games. Shud be super creeal.
bOnEs
i'll wait for reviews and gamers opinions... i'm in no rush buy games this fall... there's too many fucking games to look at it it's ridiculous... i didn't even know about this one until i saw this thread... and if it turns out to be good then, that's probably another one to look into...

blah, too many games right now... and i'm only gonna buy a few of them... uncharted 2, assassin's creed II and maybe something else... plus, the fallout 3 DLC's are heading my way... i wonder if i'll even get the chance to check out borderlands, might be too busy playing fallout 3 again... maybe they'll release a demo for it... it would certainly help matters...
DuPz0r
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Sep 21 2009, 09:49 PM) *
i'll wait for reviews and gamers opinions... i'm in no rush buy games this fall... there's too many fucking games to look at it it's ridiculous... i didn't even know about this one until i saw this thread... and if it turns out to be good then, that's probably another one to look into...

blah, too many games right now... and i'm only gonna buy a few of them... uncharted 2, assassin's creed II and maybe something else... plus, the fallout 3 DLC's are heading my way... i wonder if i'll even get the chance to check out borderlands, might be too busy playing fallout 3 again... maybe they'll release a demo for it... it would certainly help matters...

Yeah i know what you mean. With me starting Uni, having a child and paying out for utility bills. I can't really afford more then 1 game every 2 months.... Sucks for me. I might have to rent games ftw!
DuPz0r
Lmao!

PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Sep 21 2009, 04:49 PM) *

Yeah, as a Fallout devotee; I'm not in a hurry to sellout to another wasteland game. I still have plenty to do in the Capital Wasteland. It looks awesome and I will eventually pick it up; probably not before Christmas; Assassin's Creed II is my next purchase (probably going to rent ODST).
RamzKilla
I'm hyped for this game.
Massacre
QUOTE (RamzKilla @ Oct 20 2009, 06:24 PM) *
I'm hyped for this game.

I don't mean to be a dick, but do you really need all of your posts to be bold and red?
Heartless
QUOTE (Massacre @ Oct 20 2009, 07:44 PM) *
QUOTE (RamzKilla @ Oct 20 2009, 06:24 PM) *
I'm hyped for this game.

I don't mean to be a dick, but do you really need all of your posts to be bold and red?

stupid.gif

RamzKilla
Sure do. rolleyes.gif I mean whys there colors if you can't use them unsure.gif
DonkeyTits
Well I didn't plan on getting this game....but I just asked a friend of mine to buy it for me and he did 0_o. Can't wait for it to come out now lol.
bOnEs
damn, that's one hell of a nice friend laugh.gif... ask him if he would buy one for me too...
PabloHoneyOle
For real. I have a friend who just got this and said he'd provide a game or two to trade in towards a copy for me.
He needs someone to play with that desperately. I'm gonna hold out for a few more weeks. Haven't heard a concise review of the game.
bOnEs
yea, i've read a few reviews and it just doesn't sound as good as it looked... the battling and weapon collecting sounds more like a chore rather than something fun... at least with fallout 3, you were rewarded with exploration... in borderlands, the reward seems to be the millions of weapons you find while exploring, which i am sure you can only carry so many of anyways...

the graphics look cool but, i am still not sure if i really want this... the reviews i read did not sound like the kind of fun i was expecting to experience with this game... instead i was a little put off with the mechanics of how the game works...

i might still put it on my christmas list though... i wouldn't mind playing it but, i don't think i want to spend $60 on this when i still have yet to purchase uncharted 2, and assassin's creed 2 is only a few weeks away... those are the games i was most interested in this holiday season...
PabloHoneyOle
I agree. It just doesn't sound all that awesome. Maybe I'll scope out Blockbuster over the next few days and see if it's available for rent.
Massacre
QUOTE (DonkeyTits @ Oct 23 2009, 04:49 AM) *
Well I didn't plan on getting this game....but I just asked a friend of mine to buy it for me and he did 0_o. Can't wait for it to come out now lol.

I have learned much from these forums. I now plan to walk down the street asking random people to buy me things.
DonkeyTits
Want to hear something funnier? He's a friend I know through Team Fortress 2. I've never met him in real life.
DuPz0r
QUOTE (DonkeyTits @ Oct 24 2009, 08:40 AM) *
Want to hear something funnier? He's a friend I know through Team Fortress 2. I've never met him in real life.

wtf, he must like love you or something. I bet he has like show-reel screen caps all over the wall you both running through team fortress together XD.png
But yeah, that's still pretty cool you got it for free. Don't forget to write us a review on it so we know if it is good or shit.
DiO
QUOTE (DonkeyTits @ Oct 24 2009, 03:40 AM) *

How often do you two cyber?
Qdeathstar
I got the game today and like almost a good game... almost. I've only played it like 20 minutes but key main problems:

1. The missions are described to you in text only, the NCP's just stand there and make simple one liners. (Like "Don't talk to me" even though you need to talk to them to get a mission).

2. The one city that i've been in feels empty. There's only the doctor and a robot that annoys the fuck out of you every ten seconds.

3. The control scheme is shit. Jump is where action should be and action is where jump should be. Also, I can't really tell what leveling up does beside give you a bonus. There's no perks like in fallout from what i can tell and you have no choice as to where your level ups go. That might change because there is a "points" thing, but it's always at zero... (level'd up four times).

The good parts so far:

1. When NCP's do talk, they are impressive. Good voice acting / animation

2. meh.
DonkeyTits
Once you get to level 4 or 5 you get a point for each level-up, which can be assigned to boost different stats (depending on which character you are) More damage, more health, regen shield, etc. All sorts of stuff.

The first city is kinda empty but the game has tons of levels, believe it or not. They're all pretty decent.

There really is shitloads of guns.

The further you get in the game, the more (new) enemies you fight.
PabloHoneyOle
I'm still not convinced. I know a lot of people have been playing this all the way through, but I just don't see any appeal in it.

I haven't played it, probably won't until sometime in 2010. I care more about my backlog.
bOnEs
yea, i'm waiting for a price drop in 2010 as well... i just couldn't justify buying this when it released but, i got a friend that's been playing this ever since it was released... he swears by it but, from what he has told me, i am still not convinced i will like it that much...

some things sound fun but, i get a very very repetitive vibe from this game... i don't think this will satisfy the fallout 3 players but, it's probably more suited for those who were disappointed with the action in fallout 3...
Massacre
I've heard it's shit if you're playing by yourself. I'm not buying it until I have friends.
TheAnalogKid2112
^I fucking lol'd.

Yeah, I'm too much of a Jew to buy a fucking game. I still want Uncharted, damn it!!!
bOnEs
QUOTE (I am really cool @ Dec 15 2009, 01:36 AM) *
^I fucking lol'd.

Yeah, I'm too much of a Jew to buy a fucking game. I still want Uncharted, damn it!!!

i'm getting my copy for christmas... if i don't, i'm fucking buying it on the 26th... uncharted 2 is fucking badass!! my friend bought it and played the first few chapters at my house in HD about a month ago... my jaw dropped a few times in just a few chapters... epic isn't even close to the word i need to describe uncharted 2...
Qdeathstar
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Dec 14 2009, 05:05 PM) *
yea, i'm waiting for a price drop in 2010 as well... i just couldn't justify buying this when it released but, i got a friend that's been playing this ever since it was released... he swears by it but, from what he has told me, i am still not convinced i will like it that much...

some things sound fun but, i get a very very repetitive vibe from this game... i don't think this will satisfy the fallout 3 players but, it's probably more suited for those who were disappointed with the action in fallout 3...

Meh, i'd just keep waiting until Fallout New Vegas comes along...

QUOTE (Massacre @ Dec 14 2009, 05:55 PM) *
I've heard it's shit if you're playing by yourself. I'm not buying it until I have friends.

that could be my problem. You could be my friend and we could play together with the vibration function on.
The Awesome One
QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Dec 13 2009, 11:15 PM) *
I got the game today and like almost a good game... almost. I've only played it like 20 minutes but key main problems:

1. The missions are described to you in text only, the NCP's just stand there and make simple one liners. (Like "Don't talk to me" even though you need to talk to them to get a mission).

2. The one city that i've been in feels empty. There's only the doctor and a robot that annoys the fuck out of you every ten seconds.

3. The control scheme is shit. Jump is where action should be and action is where jump should be. Also, I can't really tell what leveling up does beside give you a bonus. There's no perks like in fallout from what i can tell and you have no choice as to where your level ups go. That might change because there is a "points" thing, but it's always at zero... (level'd up four times).

The good parts so far:

1. When NCP's do talk, they are impressive. Good voice acting / animation

2. meh.

I wanted to get this, but the bad parts have put me off now.
Massacre
QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Dec 16 2009, 12:03 AM) *
QUOTE (Massacre @ Dec 14 2009, 05:55 PM) *

that could be my problem. You could be my friend and we could play together with the vibration function on.

'k blush.gif
bOnEs
i rented this game yesterday... i was at family video debating whether or not to rent this, dragon age: origins or batman: arkham asylum... i guess i should of picked up one of the other ones... and that's not a knock on borderlands, it's just that i might of gotten more enjoyment out of those...

while this game isn't bad, it isn't good either... the FPS elements are fine, and are actually quite good IMO... but, it's pretty much every thing else that seems lackluster... even though i love the cell-shaded look (reminds me of a comic book), it's still too bland of environments to explore... i still like the look but, i am probably in the minority when it comes to cell-shaded graphics... i fucking love them!! i just feel like borderlands didn't do enough with it... the characters and enemies look good but, the world itself doesn't...

and speaking of characters, there are some memorable ones... i've only seen maybe three non-violent humans since the beginning and, i remember all of them perfectly... good voice acting and decent funny dialog... but, i can tell the actual story is going to leave a lot to be desired... at least the characters are memorable...

and fighting in my first boss battle was just ridiculously hard... here i am with a sniper rifle and a pistol and i am surrounded by two skag (this planet's version of dogs) warrior-like beasts that won't die, and i am trying to kill an enemy named, "nine-toes" who won't die either... after my 4th try, i finally won with a bit of luck... then i go into the next battle for some vehicle part and get stuck there as well... i think i am having an issue with the balance of the game... the mini-bosses are way too tough for me to handle... so, i thought that maybe it was the character i selected (sniper) so, i restarted with the soldier guy... i am right at the mission where i fight "nine-toes" so, i'll see if i have the same issues... my guess is it will be no different...

the loot aspect was cool at first but, now i actually have to go out of my way to check skag piles for ammo since i burn through so much of it during any battle... there's always stuff to loot, which isn't too bad i guess... but, it's starting to turn into a chore, which is what i feared... the weapons are pretty decent, i found a pistol that gave me an extra 13 shot clip (25 total) so, it work's great in a close battle since i can just unleash a furry of lead death with minimal reloads... but, i am not far enough to get my hands on SMG's with flame inducing rounds, or shotguns that shoot rockets...

i don't know, i think i just need more time with it... i did rent it for 5 days so, i'll give it a few more go's... but, i can tell i won't be re-renting it unless something happens, like finding the ultimate weapon, or doing a mission that changes my opinion... i really want to see more of pandora but, i fear being stuck in skag gully forever or whatever this town is called with a docter and vending machines...

anyone have this game? i wouldn't mind checking out the co-op aspects at some point...
PabloHoneyOle
The only thing that has prevented me from playing this game is that I don't know anyone who has this game. Plus, I fucking hate co-op.
bOnEs
i like co-op if i am playing with friends... not so much when i am playing with internet friends, unless it's little big planet... but, i can tell this game would greatly benefit from playing co-op... sometimes it just seems like too much for a single person to handle... but then again, if your playing with someone else, there's going to be even more enemies... i guess i just want to check it out and see what it's like...

but, i went into this game with low expectations so, i am not getting disappointed with it... it's basically like everything i thought it would be like... the only difference is the cel-shading for the characters looks a lot better than i thought it was...

so far, this is the best part of the game in the video below... the intro... the song and the cinematography is excellent... one of the best intros to a game ever!! it got me pumped up for the experience i was soon to embark on... BTW, that little creature they hit was one of the variations of the skags i was talking about in my previous post...

but, i wanna get into this game because, look at this skagzilla creature!! tell me that doesn't look epic!!

Massacre
Well, fuck. I have it, but it's for PC...
bOnEs
what are your impressions on it so far? are you enjoying it, or finding it frustrating fighting the raider/bandit, nine-toes?
Massacre
I've already beaten it as Brick, and I'll be starting a new file as soon as I'm done with Dragon Age. I really like Borderlands. There are a ton of guns in the game, and almost all of them look and feel different and have some kind of unique ability that sets them apart from every other weapon in the game. it adds a lot to the game when you get a vehicle for the first time, although I would've liked to have been able to upgrade and customize it and make it feel like it was "mine." The driving is fun enough that you won't even want to use Fast Travel. I've only used Brick's Berzerker attack so far, but each character has a special ability they can use, and Brick's is powerful enough that I've actually finished boss battles in the brief period of time the power is active. My only real problem is that it's a first-person game, and I'd like to see Brick when he's beating a Raider to death or Mordecai when he's slaughtering Skags with his badass machete.
bOnEs
bloodwing was cool but, not helpful when i faced nine-toes, nor was he useful in the area where your suppose to get some part for this dial-a-ride character... i must seriously suck or something because these battles were hectic and damn near impossible to beat... i don't want to go through the game facing impossible odds at every turn... there's no fun in that for me...

i was a little disappointed that there wasn't a difficultly meter... games that frustrate me, i just turn the difficulty down so i can enjoy them... but, there seems to be no option in this game...

i did start over as the soldier in hopes that i just selected the wrong character for single player... i started to realize that the enemies come after you, and sniping isn't usually the best option... all it ever did was alert everyone to where i was... i am actually kind of excited to see what the turret the soldier has can do in a heated battle against a guy like nine-toes...
Massacre
Right. I should've mentioned how unbalanced the game is for single-player. You almost have to be a Soldier or Berzerker. Also, the sniper rifles are nearly worthless, because there are only a select few instances where your enemies won't just run up on you.
bOnEs
QUOTE (Massacre @ Mar 8 2010, 04:33 PM) *
Also, the sniper rifles are nearly worthless, because there are only a select few instances where your enemies won't just run up on you.

...and bonehead was that rare instance maybe?? i found a back entrance to their hideout and just stayed far enough away to where they all saw me but, they didn't come out of their base to attack... i ran up and dropped the shield down, ran back and put some sniper bullets into bonehead... rinsed and repeated a few times... his weapon is fucking awesome!! it's a SMG with great accuracy and a zoom... plus, each bullet is x2 so, it's twice as effective biggrin.gif... i just unlocked the vehicles and unlocked the gate... i met the mine worker just outside of fyrestone and that's as far as i am going tonight...

your right, the vehicles are a little tough to handle right now... i think i just need a little practice... but, i'm fucking glad i am finally out of fyreside because, if i couldn't get past bonehead again, i was about to return the game laugh.gif... now i'll see what else there is to do that frustrates me biggrin.gif... i just reached level 10 too and just in time... it seemed like all the very recent missions requested that i was at least level 10... i guess you really do have to "level grind" just like every other RPG out there not named fallout...

maybe i'll spend some more time in skag gully again... i did do that bandit mission of collecting recordings... maybe there's more to offer in those areas...
Massacre
Did you do everything on the bounty board? I forget how many missions you have to do before new shit shows up on the board. That should get you some decent XP. You'll want to level up a lot before moving forward, at least one level above what the mission recommends. If you start a mission and see an enemy with "Badass" in their name, you need to level up some more before you can finish the mission. You can still beat it, but it'll be hard as hell.
bOnEs
yup, i'm going to look at the boards in fyreside to see what else it has to offer... i would like to reach level 12 or 13 before i start missions with that mine worker just outside of the gate i opened... skag gully isn't too difficult to navigate or handle... except, i noticed that when i reached level 10, i started seeing the skag spitters which, spit acid or something at me... two shots from those depletes my shield...

but yea, i'm gonna stick around fyreside for a while yet... i would love to stay ahead of the level requirements for the missions... and also work on improving my SMG skills, rifle skills and shotgun skills... i just started using the SMG so, i got a lot of work to get my skill in that weapon to 1... but, i love the new weapon so, it'll be fun...

it's starting to grow on me, this game is... lets hope the momentum carries on beyond fyreside...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.