Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: M.A.G.
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Other Gaming > Other Games
Pages: 1, 2
bOnEs

-------------------------------------------------------------------

dupzor and ps-fanboy noticed something earlier today... i was playing the MAG private beta... yes, i got a code for it last night from a playstation-only website i frequent... they had 100 codes to hand out and the raffle began yesterday which left me with no room for error... the competition was to submit a PS3 wallpaper or two... if at least one of the wallpapers gets added to the website, you were in the raffle... if your wallpaper wowed 'em (like i think mine did) they said they'd make an exception to the rule and choose you over a random...

i gave 'em a conker's bad fur day wallpaper i made a few years back biggrin.gif...

anyways, i didn't get to play it last night... but, i was able to download the beta, and proceeded to download the updates, which meant i left my system online overnight... thus, when i logged off, i had like 6 messages from people on my list wanting to know how it was or if they could get in too... sadly, the competition is closed for the beta codes from that particular website and, i didn't get to play last night... but, i will make some posts on my experiences and thoughts concerning this game whenever i get the chance...

and hey, there might be a few others here who have the beta too... let's talk about it biggrin.gif... to the rest, post questions or concerns and shit... i'll try to answer them the best i can once i finally get to play this damn thing... i hope it's fun!!

EDIT: ohh, i forgot to mention... the beta is only available at certain times of the day... there's an earlier in the day 5 hour session... and an evening 5 hour session so, my playing time is kind of restricted... but, it makes sense really because, i think they are trying to break the servers with everyone playing at the same time... you know, to test it out and see if it can handle it biggrin.gif... either way, i only get to play it in the evenings for a while, which is fine... i am not sure if this is a game i want to buy but, i at least get the chance to see...
ConQueSteD
I honestly will get it, Zipper has always done a great job and made a successful franchise "Socom" until /sux fucked the hell out of that game with fail, so i have high expectations with this game and from what i've heard my expectations are full filled.
bOnEs
yea, i really like the future setup with the 3 factions all fighting because, other countries hired them to fight each other over resources... money and power were thrown into chaos after some war or something and, countries hire these merc-like factions to fight their wars for them... and the fact that 256 players can play all at once is just simply amazing... the only knock i have on it is, i am not a big FPS fan... there's some i like and maybe, just maybe, this one will be added to the short list...

but, there's a snag in this whole thing... i just read that the servers are having a problem with the influx of new players... and the fact that your downloading the game from the game's servers really slowed things down yesterday, bringing it to almost a complete halt... so, they're closing down the servers this weekend so, i won't get to play it sad.gif... at least not until monday biggrin.gif... but, that's what a beta is for right? to fix the kinks...

* STORY *
ConQueSteD
I heard rumors of an open beta being released around Nov. any idea if thats true, or will i have to wait until release date to play it sad.gif
bOnEs
not sure really... i haven't followed this game closely... i merely jumped at the opportunity for private beta testing and got in... it's a game that i am on the fence about and thought this would be a good opportunity to see if it will be worth my $60 next year biggrin.gif...

it seems like most games that have beta tests, tend to have a private beta, followed by an open beta a couple/few months later... i would imagine this game would follow the same suit...
ConQueSteD
i would think they would because then they could really test the servers abilities and if their is any flaws have it done/fix'd by release
DuPz0r
I don't understand how they can get over 250 players in one match. Most games struggle with 36! It baffles me, but i can imagine it is going to be awesome. I like the sound of playing in large groups. It'll hopefully make you feel like you are in a large war with your own army.
ConQueSteD
i can't even image Clan Matches on that game or if it even supports that. but that is taking a step towards better war games. I mean image COD with 256 Players.
bOnEs
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 18 2009, 02:00 PM) *
I like the sound of playing in large groups. It'll hopefully make you feel like you are in a large war with your own army.

yea, that's what has me intrigued... and seeing the screenshots of large groups of players just brought that point home... it's gonna literally feel like a war because, there's no AI controlled enemies... it's man vs. man biggrin.gif... 128 vs. 128 biggrin.gif...
ENVi3
The Beta is so annoying.
I haven't even got to play it.
So basically you download a small file, about 250MB, so you're like oh cool. Then you need to do an update that's about 30MB, so that's OK.
But here is the kicker: then in game there is a 2.6GB file you need to download, which pretty much downloads about a reportedly 20% an hour (i got to about 3% in 10 minutes and figured i would download it later when the servers aren't loaded) ... and if you get disconnected you have to start back at 0, and some users have reported getting stuck (some even mentioned getting stuck at 99%!) and if you get stuck you can't do anything but restart your PS3 and it puts your count back at 0. Oh and remember how i mentioned this 2.6GB download is in-game? well yeah that means you can't do anything else with your PS3 at the same time. http://www.ps3center.net/news/3693/mag-ser...-heavy-traffic/
oh and if you do get to download it all, there's a good chance there will be shitty/laggy servers and buggy gameplay.
What's probably worse is they might be increasing the beta to 6GB: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-12218-P...ta-to-total-6GB

Personally, i think i might just skip the beta and wait till the full release. - and before anyone asks, i got my invite through Qore.
bOnEs
yea, the 2.6GB file was a bit ridiculous... mine froze at 99%... i left it on overnight and woke up to see it froze at the very end... it was downloading half a MB per two seconds... it was slow as fuck... i hope when they launch it again on monday, they set it up to download like an update does with the other games... not downloading it in-game but, before-game...
ENVi3
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Sep 18 2009, 03:37 PM) *
i hope when they launch it again on monday, they set it up to download like an update does with the other games... not downloading it in-game but, before-game...
I would prefer a download like anything off the PS Store, where you can set it download in the background and pause/stop and resume as you please.
bOnEs
i would prefer that too but, i'd take anything other than downloading it in-game biggrin.gif... it'll never happen when you have 100,000 people trying to do it at the same time...
DuPz0r
So the beta is pretty much a FAIL then? I'm not too fussed then tbh. But i do want to try the full game once it is released. Can you imagine everyone on here with a PS3 getting it, and all in the same team! that'd be awesome. One thing I'm concerned about it mics... I don't see how we are gonna be able to hear anything if 120 odd people are all trying to talk at once...
ENVi3
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 18 2009, 04:07 PM) *
So the beta is pretty much a FAIL then? I'm not too fussed then tbh. But i do want to try the full game once it is released. Can you imagine everyone on here with a PS3 getting it, and all in the same team! that'd be awesome. One thing I'm concerned about it mics... I don't see how we are gonna be able to hear anything if 120 odd people are all trying to talk at once...
at this point yeah the Beta sorta sucks, because you can't even play it. sorta like with MGO and you only having like 19seconds to type all your info in and the whole konami ID thing.
i think Mics will be localized within squads ... they seem to stress that the best way to play the game is to stick with your squad.
bOnEs
but that's the point of a beta... they knew it was gonna be rough sailing starting out, they just needed some dummies like us to populate the servers so they can see what needs to be done... i am optimistic that being down this weekend will give them time to fix the current server problems...

but, that's not gonna fix the 6GB download though... they're basically saying too bad, it's beta and your getting almost the whole game to play for free... you have no room to complain... and i agree with that statement too... it's beta, you get whatever the hell they want to give you... don't like it then, you don't have to play it...

i'll play it though one of these days... i got 2 months to give it a shot... by the end of the 2 months, i bet the download gets to 14GB laugh.gif...
DiO
So for those who actually played the game..what is it like? What is the gameplay comparable too?
ConQueSteD
QUOTE (QD-O @ Sep 19 2009, 02:01 PM) *
So for those who actually played the game..what is it like? What is the gameplay comparable too?

from the trailers it looks similar to KZ2 but with more mayhem. not sure about 1st hand experience
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE (QD-O @ Sep 19 2009, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE (ConQueSteD @ Sep 19 2009, 12:05 PM) *

from the trailers it looks similar to KZ2 but with more mayhem. not sure about 1st hand experience

lol...
DiO
QUOTE (TheAnalogKid2112 @ Sep 19 2009, 05:02 PM) *

QUOTE (ConQueSteD @ Sep 19 2009, 12:05 PM) *

lol...

Lol. Thanks.
DuPz0r
I don't actually think any of them have been able to play it yet... lol

Let us know when you do though!
ENVi3
there's a schedule when the beta can be accessed http://www.gamesonsmash.com/?p=9300

i hope that that doesn't mean those are also the only times you can download also ...
bOnEs
you can download right now... i launched MAG before i left for work this morning... and it was downloading a lot faster than last time too... about 5 seconds into the download, i was already up to 9MB downloaded... so, i think the servers are working better, or i got on at the right time, and is first in line biggrin.gif...

i dunno...
bOnEs
played it finally... the update downloaded a lot faster last night... it took only about an hour to download this time...

on to the game itself:

CHAOTIC... that's about the best word to describe this game... literally, it's a warzone... you start at a designated spawn location picked by the squad leader but, you can be resurrected in the battlefield by a medic, or you can wait it out which i think re-spawns you in the same location you died... still not sure how this is beneficiary since, it takes about 30 seconds... and sometimes it still spawns you at the designated location picked by the squad leader anyways... i just bleedout most of time so i only have to wait 10-15 seconds to spawn back at the designated location...

BOOM!! BOOM!!... 256 players traveling the map, throwing grenades... you start with 3 and that's more than enough for constant explosions near or afar... i mean, there's a constant BOOM sound wherever you go... and the gunfights are insane... i don't know how many times i killed someone, only to be shot in the back by someone else... there's enemies EVERYWHERE!!! my best streak was 3 kills, that's it... i definitely died more than i killed and, i never had more than 10 kills in a 20 minute match...

2 MATCH TYPES... one of the choices was a 256 player free-for-all where, you are trying to secure resources like artillery, tanks, oil fields, and some other stuff... your trying to get it before the enemy does, and then defend it from the enemy... this is where the squad-based units are "suppose" to work... instead, most of your squad just wanders around the map, trying to get kills, which means nothing in this match... it's what team holds the most resources the longest... or what team holds the most at the end... not sure what it is since, i only played this mode once...

the other match is more of my style... there's two intel locations that need to be secured and defended... depending on what team you start out as, you'll either be defending or attacking... the defenders have to maintain security surrounding these locations... and that get's to be tricky when the enemy is coming at you by the dozens... lose your positions on both and your forced to retreat to a third and final location... if you can hold off the enemy, you win... and this is where it gets chaotic... all of your teammates are now holed up at this last stand, and the enemy is constantly parachuting down from drop planes... again, if you can hold your ground, you win... the object of the game for the other side is to take over all three locations but, you must secure the first two in order to force the enemy to retreat... this mode was a lot of fun...

GRAPHICS... not too shabby... the locations offered up plenty of cover but, also plenty of exposure... the environment looks like any warzone would look... lots of rubble and abandoned buildings... trees, hills, rocks and rivers... some can be used for cover, others leave you exposed... i can't really rate the graphics though since, it's in it's infant stages... it still looks pretty good though and with the right polish, superb...

GAMEPLAY... it's about as standard as any FPS... realy easy to pick up and play but, tough to master the quick kills... i found myself unloading on enemies while, others picked me off with just a couple of bullets... depends on the weapon too of course... i just mainly stuck with the automatic assault rifle... i used the sniper a couple of times but, found more success and fun out of getting down there into the middle of the battle... camping out isn't always the safest thing, even for a sniper... but, it's pretty useful if your communicating with your squad since, you can watch their backs... but, i was sniping once and got picked off by an enemy sniper, lol...

...and that's all i got to say about that... for now... it's promising and has the potential to be a great squad-based game with friends... playing with randoms is the name of the game but, playing with friends on a single squad inside of the team could be really fun to do... if only there was a squad leader who can bark out the orders to give the team something to do... for the most part, the squad leaders never were much help...
DuPz0r
Sweet. It sounds like cod4 from what you said, but on a much much larger scale. I can't wait to have a go on this. I bet the key to playing really well is to properly know the people in your squad and all have mics. Did it have mics on btw? I know that might be hard. But getting to know the people on the battlefield you play with is pretty important. (Not like know who they are, just friend list job).
bOnEs
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 22 2009, 10:53 AM) *
Sweet. It sounds like cod4 from what you said, but on a much much larger scale. I can't wait to have a go on this. I bet the key to playing really well is to properly know the people in your squad and all have mics. Did it have mics on btw? I know that might be hard. But getting to know the people on the battlefield you play with is pretty important. (Not like know who they are, just friend list job).

yea, there was people with mics... i avoided using one last night since it was my first go at it... maybe sometime down the road once i figure out how to play a little better, and know how to handle certain objectives like driving tanks and blowing up buildings... but, right now i'm kinda running around getting used to the maps and game play... i'll leave the headset talking to the experienced players, and there are a lot of those...

i will use one though eventually... but right now i'm basically a recruit... cannon fodder as they would say laugh.gif...

EDIT: i failed to mention earlier but, i experienced NO LAG AT ALL!! i was very very suprised at how smooth this game actually played... no hiccups, no lag, no problems at all... that my friends is one hell of an accomplishment biggrin.gif...
DuPz0r
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Sep 22 2009, 04:01 PM) *
EDIT: i failed to mention earlier but, i experienced NO LAG AT ALL!! i was very very suprised at how smooth this game actually played... no hiccups, no lag, no problems at all... that my friends is one hell of an accomplishment biggrin.gif...

That's awesome news. It looks like the next era of gaming will be concentrating on MMOFPS. That's where the money will be anyway. So many people play FPS as it is.
bOnEs
not just MMOFPS but, console MMO's period biggrin.gif... this game and HOME prove just how possible it is to get a bunch of people online at once... but your right, FPS are much more popular than the other genres...
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Sep 22 2009, 07:41 AM) *
BOOM!! BOOM!!... 256 players traveling the map, throwing grenades... you start with 3 and that's more than enough for constant explosions near or afar... i mean, there's a constant BOOM sound wherever you go... and the gunfights are insane... i don't know how many times i killed someone, only to be shot in the back by someone else... there's enemies EVERYWHERE!!! my best streak was 3 kills, that's it... i definitely died more than i killed and, i never had more than 10 kills in a 20 minute match...

Exactly what I was afraid of. Hopefully I get the hang of it, though. I was like that in Call of Duty when I first started. Having like, 24 deaths and 2 kills. Now I kick ass. Hopefully that's all it takes in MAG. I don't want to die every second, and with 256 players, that seems very likely.

Great write-up, bOnEs. Made me nearly cream my jeans in anticipation. Still looks like a great buy.

QUOTE (bOnEs @ Sep 22 2009, 08:34 AM) *
not just MMOFPS but, console MMO's period biggrin.gif... this game and HOME prove just how possible it is to get a bunch of people online at once... but your right, FPS are much more popular than the other genres...

Psh, Home lags like fucking crazy.
bOnEs
i actually haven't messed around in HOME at all... i played it once, thought it sucked and uninstalled it...

yea, the grenades are a bit much... it's nice to pull off some 'nade kills though... i got two with one once biggrin.gif... my kill ratio was more like 10-20... you will get some kills in probably your second match... i think the ratio in my first match was 5-25, lol... i was running around getting my ass shot up laugh.gif... but, if i play it enough, i'll rank up and probably get better weapons and stuff... and more than likely get a little better at it as well... i hope to get to a 15-15 ratio soon though... maybe in a couple of weeks or something... but, there's definitely potential for improvement... i'd like to get to the stage of the good ones, with 35-10 ratios biggrin.gif... you are going to die here, there's no way around that... it's impossible to be perfect because, most of my kills came from shooting at people who were pre-occupied at shooting someone else...

EDIT: and again, kills are not the focal point of this game... yea, it earns you experience but, the overall team success is the goal... there will probably be team deathmatches with the full game but, the goal oriented objectives seem to be the focal point of the beta..
bOnEs
double post (to inform you of new information, silly)...

http://dualshockers.com/2009/09/mag-beta/

they are giving away beta codes to people who post a comment on their page on why you deserve a BETA invite... chances are your going to have to create an account but, there's not many places left giving away BETA's... so, jump on this if your interested...
TheAnalogKid2112
Awesome, bOnEs, thank you. Hopefully I'll be seeing you soon on MAG.

Oh, and for the record, I didn't have to sign up for that site or anything to post the comment.
bOnEs
but, how would they inform you if you won? did you at least leave an email address?

EDIT: what did you say? i was looking for analog but, couldn't find it laugh.gif...
TheAnalogKid2112
It asked me for my name and email.

I don't remember what I said.

Edit: Found it
I deserve a beta code for a few reasons. First off, I love first-person shooters. Second, I知 totally a team player. I知 the guy that will help you out and will do whatever it takes to achieve the goal of the match. Also, I知 very attractive.

Meh, went half-serious on it. Idc.
ENVi3
It is definitely downloading much faster now. it did now in a few seconds what it did in like 10 minutes last time ^^'''
I'll see if i can get it all downloaded today and maybe get to play it later. If not i won't have time till Thursday =/
bOnEs
QUOTE (Oh Dear God! GOOBER! @ Sep 22 2009, 04:49 PM) *
Edit: Found it
I deserve a beta code for a few reasons. First off, I love first-person shooters. Second, I知 totally a team player. I知 the guy that will help you out and will do whatever it takes to achieve the goal of the match. Also, I知 very attractive.

lol, i remember reading that one laugh.gif... the end line might help you since, they are probably looking for some chuckles too biggrin.gif...

good luck there ENVi3... i might add you if i think about it biggrin.gif...
ENVi3
oh no! my PS3 turned itself off because the "system auto-off" function i enabled. well, there goes about 2 hours wasted; and this is ANOTHER reason i want this update to download like any other PSN update -__- , because with those it keeps downloading until it's done.
I guess i'll have to try again on Thursday ....
bOnEs
hmm, mine is set for shutdown after 3 hours of inactivity... yet, it stayed on all day long yesterday, and also last thursday evening... i didn't think it would shut down if your were downloading something...
ENVi3
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Sep 22 2009, 06:52 PM) *
hmm, mine is set for shutdown after 3 hours of inactivity... yet, it stayed on all day long yesterday, and also last thursday evening... i didn't think it would shut down if your were downloading something...
you probably didn't check that little box that says something like "shut down even under special conditions" ... meaning it shuts down even if you are playing a game or watching a movie. in MAG's case it pretty much read that as my playing the game, not downloading something.
but yeah, if i download off the PSN and then go to turn off but check the "shut down after downloads complete" it doesnt shut down until they're done.
bOnEs
well, if your not doing anything right now, i'd start the download again... just so your ready for thursday biggrin.gif...

lol, watch... you'll download it but then thursday, they release that damn 6GB package laugh.gif...
bOnEs
lol, OK i need to find a way to bottle up the luck i've been having lately... N4G was giving away a hundred beta codes to the first ones to upload a picture of themselves with a sony product of some sort... the light clicked on for me...

i got one!! i posted it immediately, i was probably #98 out of a hundred but nonetheless, i have an EXTRA BETA CODE!! the problem is, i don't know who to give it to... dupzor, analog, D-O, conquested, others? how shall i decide the fate of one lucky bastard laugh.gif... contest?
Massacre
Ask for sex.
bOnEs
ahh, but then i'd have to give everyone a beta sad.gif...

i seriously don't know how i'm going to do this... i might just take names and draw them randomly from a hat... yea... yea, i think that's the plan since i can't think of any cool contest... i guess i'm just not cool enough... so, you have until thursday @ 5:00 pm EST to reply in this thread with your request... once 5:00 passes, i will randomly draw one of your names and send you the BETA code via PM shortly after...

and go...

EDIT: sorry but, to keep from someone randomly joining up just to get in on this, i am restricting this to the people who are regulars here... basically, anyone who was a part of the old forums and made the switch here is eligible... if you just joined today, fuck off laugh.gif...
DuPz0r
I only just saw!. This is what i posted
I i think i deserve a MAG beta code because i love FPS games, and always have done. I would love to play one on such a large scale, 256 players seems unbelievable, so i want to see it for myself. I will rip the game to pieces to help make the game as solid as possible for its launch. Plus i want to see what game modes you have going on in there, and just to experience this game first hand.

Fingers Crossed!

Maybe too desperate...? lol

P.S Bones, i'll have the code biggrin.gif
bOnEs
where did you post that? or are you trying to convince me to choose you? laugh.gif...

CURRENT ENTRIES:
- DuPzOr
DuPz0r
Here!
bOnEs
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 23 2009, 05:14 PM) *
Here!

good effort but, it still only counts as one entry laugh.gif... i was thinking of just putting your name and analog's in a hat but, i thought i'd be fair to all iGTA posters and give them a chance too biggrin.gif... lol, chances are it probably will just be the two of you though... no one else has really been in here discussing it...
TheAnalogKid2112
OMG! ME!!! MEEE!!! I HAVE NO KIDS!

smile.gif
bOnEs
QUOTE (Oh Dear God! GOOBER! @ Sep 23 2009, 08:20 PM) *
OMG! ME!!! MEEE!!! I HAVE NO KIDS!

smile.gif

no way, i could of swore this was your kid:

CURRENT ENTRIES:
- DuPzOr
- Oh Dear God! GOOBER!
ENVi3
I'm setting it to download right now. I have my PS3 set to turn off in 5 hours. which is plenty of time. (I calculated that at this rate the download should only take like 3 hours).
I'm hoping I can come home and start playing later today smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.