Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ballad Of Gay Tony as a title a little too much?
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA IV Series > Ballad Of Gay Tony
GTARuler
Hey just wanted to get peoples opinion on this, because I had some friends think they were going to play as some gay guy and I guess that bothered them because they said they weren't going to buy it if that was true. It donít bother me at all GTA is GTA no matter what. thumbup.gif
TreeFitty
Your friends are retarded. it's a fucking GTA title, who gives a shit? I know people who fit in with the KKK who played San Andreas and liked it just fine.
GTARuler
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Sep 13 2009, 03:29 AM) *
Your friends are retarded. it's a fucking GTA title, who gives a shit? I know people who fit in with the KKK who played San Andreas and liked it just fine.

Yeah I know I told them you don't play as a gay guy and they said they were joking, but I know them they were serious.
Tranque
If that was enough to deter them then I'm pretty happy. GTA is trying to teach people to be less douchebaggish towards things they aren't accustomed to. Did your friends throw the controller to the ground and erupt with angst when they found Florian wasn't as grizzled and wartorn as Niko? Or that they had to *gasp* protect a homosexual from being beaten in central park.

Its opening a lot of people to a world they never see, and those too intolerant to even play a game relating to the material shouldn't be playing games made for adults.

And if the people with a problem are adults then they just need to grow up.
GTARuler
QUOTE (Tranque @ Sep 13 2009, 03:39 AM) *
If that was enough to deter them then I'm pretty happy. GTA is trying to teach people to be less douchebaggish towards things they aren't accustomed to. Did your friends throw the controller to the ground and erupt with angst when they found Florian wasn't as grizzled and wartorn as Niko? Or that they had to *gasp* protect a homosexual from being beaten in central park.

Its opening a lot of people to a world they never see, and those too intolerant to even play a game relating to the material shouldn't be playing games made for adults.

And if the people with a problem are adults then they just need to grow up.

thumbup.gif I agree with you, and yeah they wanted to be the ones beating him up in the park not protecting him! HA
DuffMan
GTA is a mature series and if your friends think the title is going to accurately describe the actual game... well, they sound like they're far too immature to be playing it. We never did find out what the 'damned' in Lost and Damned really stood for afaik.
ViceMan
The only people I can imagine finding the title humourous are those younger than 12

*standing in playground*

"Hey, have you heard the title of the new GTA game coming out?"

"No, what's it called?"

"The ballad of GAY Tony!"

"OMFG, seriously? I'm not buying that, if I buy a game with the word gay in it i'm technically gay by default."

*sniggering*

*sustained laughter*

And so on...

ConQueSteD
QUOTE (GTARuler @ Sep 13 2009, 03:25 AM) *
Hey just wanted to get peoples opinion on this, because I had some friends think they were going to play as some gay guy and I guess that bothered them because they said they weren't going to buy it if that was true. It don't bother me at all GTA is GTA no matter what. thumbup.gif

i have a feeling your about 8-14 looking at your sig "best GTA PLAYER 1Mill GS" so its probably true all your friends who would also be 8-14 would be acting like "a scared little girl who just found out she had her vagina bleeding and did not understand why" when they heard the title was Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony.
Massacre
QUOTE (DuffMan @ Sep 13 2009, 05:54 AM) *
GTA is a mature series and if your friends think the title is going to accurately describe the actual game... well, they sound like they're far too immature to be playing it. We never did find out what the 'damned' in Lost and Damned really stood for afaik.

Everyone was the damned in TLAD, Duff. There wasn't a single person who's life wasn't fucked up by the end of the game. That could be said for all the games, really.

Anyway, fuck your friends, they're assholes. Besides, they're only acting like that because they're ashamed closet cases.
ThomasH
"No, I think its great"

Really it is, I know a lot of people who said: "Oh My God, GAY TONY? Really? In the Title"
And I just can't describe the not-logical thinking.

GTARuler
QUOTE (ConQueSteD @ Sep 13 2009, 12:54 PM) *
QUOTE (GTARuler @ Sep 13 2009, 03:25 AM) *
Hey just wanted to get peoples opinion on this, because I had some friends think they were going to play as some gay guy and I guess that bothered them because they said they weren't going to buy it if that was true. It don't bother me at all GTA is GTA no matter what. thumbup.gif

i have a feeling your about 8-14 looking at your sig "best GTA PLAYER 1Mill GS" so its probably true all your friends who would also be 8-14 would be acting like "a scared little girl who just found out she had her vagina bleeding and did not understand why" when they heard the title was Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony.

Iím sorry but your wrong, anyways if youíre going to do nothing but post some ridiculous bullshit and try to insult people just go somewhere they enjoy your retarded comments bird.gif
ConQueSteD
normally when people have sigs saying "best _______ player" they are more then likely young kids, it also shows it more when your friends freak about anything having the word gay in it unless they are a homophobe.
HB~Sauce
When I first heard the title, I was a little shocked because it's an unusal name for a game but with these recent trailers being pumped out it makes perfect sense.
Qdeathstar
I don't really think its so much the words after GTA or Grand Theft Auto that matter tbh.

Could be GTA: Fuck your mom... would still buy it. Would probably buy it more. actually.
trathen93
the name does seem a bit odd, but it doesnt matter what its called. most people will probably buy the "episodes from liberty city" pack. but the name isnt flashed on a case anyway for the whole of the shop to see, and it therefore doesnt make you look gay.
PabloHoneyOle
I was a little disappointed that the main character wasn't a gay.

Buttsex minigames, ftw.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Sep 15 2009, 09:28 AM) *
I was a little disappointed that the main character wasn't a gay.

Buttsex minigames, ftw.

We still have the male stripper mini game.

And btw TBoGT isn't to much. Even if you played as a gay guy I would have no problem with it.
Massacre
I'm glad I'm not the only one that loves gay people.
bOnEs
R* has taken a pretty serious approach to this kind of stuff with GTAIV... if this was an expansion to san andreas, it would be over the top ridiculous, full of cheap shots and parody gay characters... instead with IV, we're getting a very serious storyline here involving a character who happens to be gay...

in san andreas the "gay" part of the title would of been the focal point... in IV, the "ballad" part is the focal point... this is the new GTA franchise, they said they are taking it into a more realistic realm and not making movie parodies and characters anymore... everything has a serious feel to it..

the florian missions would of been over the top in san andreas, probably having you chase down a rare yellow dildo or something... instead in IV, we learn more about the mayor scandal, the minds of gays, and the consequences/benefits of mixing both worlds...

it's much more deeper than just being "gay" with R* these days biggrin.gif...
Qdeathstar
Well, actually, i don't think that R* would make fun of fags... to much negative PR.. eg HATE SPEAK. or whatever, same reason you didn't get a lot of black jokes in GTA-sanandreas.

Also, the main character isn't gay.
Benzilla
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Sep 13 2009, 05:19 PM) *
The only people I can imagine finding the title humourous are those younger than 12

*standing in playground*

"Hey, have you heard the title of the new GTA game coming out?"

"No, what's it called?"

"The ballad of GAY Tony!"

"OMFG, seriously? I'm not buying that, if I buy a game with the word gay in it i'm technically gay by default."

*sniggering*

*sustained laughter*

And so on...

That's the exact reason why I'm not buying it anyway...
Tranque
QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Sep 16 2009, 03:14 PM) *
Well, actually, i don't think that R* would make fun of fags... to much negative PR.. eg HATE SPEAK. or whatever, same reason you didn't get a lot of black jokes in GTA-sanandreas.

Also, the main character isn't gay.

First of all, Rockstar makes fun of everyone "fag" or not. Within the first few missions of San Andreas the main characters and his black friends go to KFC for Chicken. I don't doubt that TBOGT will have campy characters with stereotypical gay attitudes, but like many are saying Gay Tony isn't exactly the most flaming stereotype you can get. Negative PR was never a concern of theirs. If it was then they wouldn't have put in the option to murder officers, the elderly, gays, blacks, because they all would bitch anyway, nor would there be the first penis appearing in a video game in TLAD.

To them they are creating a very real world, and the real world does include people who embrace stereotypes, but they are also focusing on the majority of us who aren't the stereotype.

PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (Benzilla @ Sep 22 2009, 01:35 PM) *
That's the exact reason why I'm not buying it anyway...

You're really not going to get it?
ßynch
QUOTE (Tranque @ Sep 22 2009, 06:53 PM) *
stereotypical gay attitudes

Florian was flaming, and flamboyant. That was pretty stereotypical.
Remy was pretty over the top as well.
Tranque
Exactly, and I'm sure Playboy X and Fat Black Hookers arent the most fair interpretation of black people. Its Rockstars whole jist to make a few stereotypes since as I said, they exist in reality to an extent. But they also noted the necessity to offset stereotypes with realistic portrayals, hence Gay Tony.
The Awesome One
Not too much, but if our dude was gay if would be recieved bad.
Massacre
Don't forget that while it was never confirmed, it was very heavily hinted that Elizabeta was a lesbian. Although she was kind of a bull-dyke, so I guess that's still stereotypical...
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (Tranque @ Sep 23 2009, 04:26 PM) *
Exactly, and I'm sure Playboy X and Fat Black Hookers arent the most fair interpretation of black people.

Bad Man is a more realistic example.
Tranque
QUOTE (Massacre @ Sep 24 2009, 06:04 PM) *
Don't forget that while it was never confirmed, it was very heavily hinted that Elizabeta was a lesbian. Although she was kind of a bull-dyke, so I guess that's still stereotypical...

Well we all know she liked the vagina, meet Marta. Who spent a hot night with her, also didn't she dance with a woman at the party? Carmen? I forget who, but regardless the sex with marta "hint" was just obvious tongue.gif

QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ Sep 24 2009, 06:21 PM) *
QUOTE (Tranque @ Sep 23 2009, 04:26 PM) *
Exactly, and I'm sure Playboy X and Fat Black Hookers arent the most fair interpretation of black people.

Bad Man is a more realistic example.

I actually agree, Jamaicans were portrayed quite realistically. In regards to how Jacob references Jah and rastafarianmism and how we really can barely understand patwa tongue.gif
The Awesome One
QUOTE (Massacre @ Sep 24 2009, 07:04 PM) *

I thought she was straight.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (Captain.Charisma @ Sep 25 2009, 05:56 PM) *

http://lesbiangamers.typepad.com/lesbian_g...beta-torre.html
Tranque
QUOTE (Captain.Charisma @ Sep 25 2009, 09:56 PM) *

*cough* Marta details a "hot night in puerto rico" with her *cough*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.