Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Sims 2
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Other Gaming > Other Games
TheAnalogKid2112
I just got The Sims 2, plus three expansion packs for free. How is this game? It looks really interesting judging by the back, but it seems a bit childish too. I know, a simple solution would be to pop it in and test it out, but I don't feel like it right now.

Anyone who's played it, what are your thoughts?

Also, the expansion packs are Open For Business, Pets, and Nightlife.
Tranque
I love the sims. The Sims 3 is a better improvement.

Its not so much childish seeing as you can create complex drama, just because something doesn't have violence doesn't mean its for kids tongue.gif

For some reason I always make these young women who marry rich people, and then the rich people have sudden "tragic" accidents.

Oh and Nightlife is the best out of those three.

Then Open For Business

Then Pets.
TheAnalogKid2112
Can I kill the Sims? If so, in clever ways? LOL, listen to me. Sounding like a kid who plays too much GTA. But really, I like games like that. Games that let you do wtf you want. Kinda like Fallout 3, you know? Take the good route, or take the evil route.
Tranque
QUOTE (TheAnalogKid2112 @ Sep 12 2009, 11:13 PM) *
Can I kill the Sims? If so, in clever ways? LOL, listen to me. Sounding like a kid who plays too much GTA. But really, I like games like that. Games that let you do wtf you want. Kinda like Fallout 3, you know? Take the good route, or take the evil route.

Hmm alright, you can kill them by

Fire
Starvation
Drowning
Satellite
Fear
Flies
Choking
Illness
Cow Plant

Thats off of the top of my head. Pick one you want to know about and I'll give the details.
TheAnalogKid2112
Fucking awesome! I'm definitely going to try this game then! biggrin.gif

EDIT: Cow plant???

And satellite?
Tranque
In University you can get a career award from the botanical science career and it is a venus fly trap with a giant cow head on it. What you do is you send other sims to it, it eats them alive and then you can get lifejuice from it to make your sim live longer.
Kamahl
lol

ive only played sims 1 a long time ago, and it was ok, but i didnt like it that much so i didnt bother to check the new ones... How different are the new ones from the first one?
Tranque
Well first the sims age which means you actually have a point while playing it. In the latest one The Sims 3 its super fun because you can give them different traits like Evil and they can steal candy from infants, Kleptomaniac where they randomnly steal things (even if they are a cop) or Vegetarian (if they eat meat they physically get sick. I like to make vegetarian sims eat meat, mauhauha)

Theres also different goals and opportunities.

If you want to see some stuff you can do with sims 2 let me dig up my old archive.. One sec
Tranque
Sims 2 stuff:

My old marylin monroe sim.

Scary stuff:

The key word here is MODS MODS MODS.

www.modthesims2.com or www.modthesims3.com is the best mod site.

There are also sites where you pay for the mods which is bullshit and don't do it or I lose all respect for you. I hate it when people try to sell things that technically do not exist.
ConQueSteD
Haven't Played sims since SIMS 1. Was S2 S3, anygood if so i might try it out.
Massacre
I have Sims 2. And all of the EP's. It's good times, play it now.
bOnEs
it is good fun, i was actually playing the sims 2 last night laugh.gif... the expansions i own are open for business, university and seasons... i think open for business is the best one i own... i might go out and buy nightlife though because, i want cars but, OFB allows me to make my own home businesses and stuff... university adds another branch to your lifespan and unlocks a few more jobs as well like natural scientist (that plant tranque was talking about), paranormal (phone that calls death, makes zombies), show business (facial reconstruction machine), etc...

seasons is a nice addition as well... i like the fact that the weather changes!! snowmen FTW!! thunderstorms FTW!!

my sim went to college and earned a degree so, currently he's starting new jobs once he unlocks the career achievement item... since he has a degree, he skips about 4+ jobs and jumps to the one right before you unlock the achievement... i'm trying to unlock ALL career achievement items...

my wife is in show business so i downloaded a few celebrity sims to sprinkle in the neighborhood... angelina jolie and brad pitt were one... she became friends with jolie almost immediately while brad pitt kept playing pranks on me and hating everything i said for a while.... lol, he took a little longer and made for some hilarious lol moments... bruce willis and megan fox are the other ones that moved in...

yea, i still play this game... i want to play the sims 3 but, just like fallout 3, i need a better computer to run it...
ViceMan
QUOTE (Tranque @ Sep 13 2009, 12:11 AM) *
I love the sims. The Sims 3 is a better improvement.

Its not so much childish seeing as you can create complex drama, just because something doesn't have violence doesn't mean its for kids tongue.gif

For some reason I always make these young women who marry rich people, and then the rich people have sudden "tragic" accidents.

Oh and Nightlife is the best out of those three.

Then Open For Business

Then Pets.

The Sims 3 is better in many ways yes, but, it lacks a lot of things that made the Sims 2 great.

The selection of music is terrible, in the Sims 2 custom songs could be placed into the relevant genre, i.e you could place rap songs into the rap folder so they only played when on the rap station, and so on, but now all custom music must be placed into one folder whether it be rap, metal or reggae. The genre's themselves are very limited, indie, classical, salsa, kids and custom? What about rap, rock, metal, reggae, techno, country, jazz etc?

The choice of men's hairstyles is very limited, and it seems a lot of stuff has deliberately been held back just so you can buy it later, whether it be in an expansion pack or via download. Of course we're all well aware that there will be countless expansions that re-add all those missing things back in. Pets, new careers and the like.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great game that adds a lot of new and useful ideas, I like it, but I don't seem as obsessed with it as I did the Sims 2. Maybe because i'm older.
The Awesome One
Ive got sims 3. I think its a lot better, even though its full of glitches. I havent managed to kill any sims yet. (Except for old age)
bOnEs
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Sep 13 2009, 12:36 PM) *
The choice of men's hairstyles is very limited, and it seems a lot of stuff has deliberately been held back just so you can buy it later, whether it be in an expansion pack or via download. Of course we're all well aware that there will be countless expansions that re-add all those missing things back in. Pets, new careers and the like.

i hate that... they know you'll buy them too laugh.gif... isn't the first one called, "World Adventures" or something like that where you travel around the world for vacations and stuff?? i think i saw a brief mention...
DuPz0r
Go to thesimsresource.com for good downloads. Not that i play it.
bOnEs
i just use thesims2.com lol... i don't mess with mods but, i'll download sims, lots, and clothes from there...
ConQueSteD
my cousin has SIMS 2 so i'll probably grab all that stuff from her and try it out cause she plays SIMS 3 Now.
Massacre
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Sep 13 2009, 12:29 PM) *
yea, i still play this game... i want to play the sims 3 but, just like fallout 3, i need a better computer to run it...

I'd wait if I were you, anyway. I bought the Sims 3, which is great, but it can't compare to Sims 2 with all nine EPs and ten Stuff Packs. Wait until they've released a few EPs. First one is in November.
ViceMan
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Sep 13 2009, 05:42 PM) *
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Sep 13 2009, 12:36 PM) *

i hate that... they know you'll buy them too laugh.gif... isn't the first one called, "World Adventures" or something like that where you travel around the world for vacations and stuff?? i think i saw a brief mention...

Actually I didn't buy any, and I don't plan to, I used the 6 that came free with the game of course, and i'll use the 6 that comes with World Adventures too. I'm not giving them any more money than I have to.
DiO
All I ever did in that game was cheat to get a shit load of money, build a kick ass house then kill my people. Which took maybe 3 hours. Never really played it beyond that.
Tranque
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 13 2009, 04:47 PM) *

Most of those downloads are crappy recolours and the good stuff is what you pay for blegh. To get pay objects for FREE go to http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/
ViceMan
QUOTE (Tranque @ Sep 13 2009, 07:24 PM) *
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 13 2009, 04:47 PM) *

Most of those downloads are crappy recolours and the good stuff is what you pay for blegh. To get pay objects for FREE go to http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/

Link doesn't seem to work.
Tranque
Ack makes sense, I haven't played the sims in a long time. Anyway www.modthesims3.com is the main hub of good downloads. You've got a healthy dose of violence and fun too there. Well a lot of blood at least. It has DL's for both TS2 and TS3
bOnEs
lol, i called up brad pitt to be best friends and he broke off the friendship over the phone laugh.gif... no worries, a water balloon fight out front brought us back together wub.gif...

then, my wife fails the "chance" card and gets demoted to puppeteer sad.gif... but, i unlocked the resurrect-o-tron(something) after a couple of promotions... so, i can now kill sims and turn 'em into zombies biggrin.gif... so now, a black father and child can re-unite with their white zombie mother lol... things are gonna be a little different for them me thinks laugh.gif...
The Awesome One
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Sep 14 2009, 06:33 AM) *
lol, i called up brad pitt to be best friends and he broke off the friendship over the phone laugh.gif... no worries, a water balloon fight out front brought us back together wub.gif...

then, my wife fails the "chance" card and gets demoted to puppeteer sad.gif... but, i unlocked the resurrect-o-tron(something) after a couple of promotions... so, i can now kill sims and turn 'em into zombies biggrin.gif... so now, a black father and child can re-unite with their white zombie mother lol... things are gonna be a little different for them me thinks laugh.gif...

You called your sim Brad Pitt?
bOnEs
no, i added a brad pitt sim from thesims2.com laugh.gif... my wife is a celebrity so, i thought i'd bring in a few celebrities to the neighborhood...
Tranque
And then set them aflame using "boolprop testingcheatsenabled true" then clicking the sim while holding shift and finding the Tombstone of Life or Death

Voila!
The Awesome One
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Sep 14 2009, 09:23 PM) *
no, i added a brad pitt sim from thesims2.com laugh.gif... my wife is a celebrity so, i thought i'd bring in a few celebrities to the neighborhood...

I will downlad this "Brad" and kill him, in a small room set on fire.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.