Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is your most memorable moment?
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA III Series > GTA III
Pages: 1, 2
DuPz0r
So as the title suggests, what was your most memorable moment in GTA3? was it a mission or was it something funny you did. Or was it simply turning the game on for the first time that you remember the most?

For me it has to be when i got home after buying it. Not many of my friends had heard of gta and III was a bit of a quite release compared to some of the hype most games get. I liked the look of it and i remembered playing GTA 1, London and 2 a few years back on my ps1, so i bought it just for the hell of it.
Anyway, the thing i remember the most was straight away when you start off at the Callaghan Bridge. I noticed there was water, and broken bridge and a whole city scape in the background. I wasn't sure if that was just a landscape like many old games have, or if it was accessible. But after two to three missions i realized by the size of the first island and by looking across the water at different parts that i would at some point be able to get over there. The anticipation was intense because i'd never expereinced an open city before in a game. That was surely one of the biggest landmark highs i had ever experienced to that point.
§ynch
Most memorable moment.....

My first Triple off the bridge and building near Asuka's in Staunton.
From that point on I became a dedicated stunter.
ViceMan
Just getting acclimatised to the whole free-roam environment really. The vastness of the place (even though it seems tiny now.) The bleak, opressing atmosphere and feeling of isolation in some places.

Wandering the city clubbing old ladies to death and hearing them shout "we're goin' to Aruba!" or bumping into man only to have him reply "Mah mother's mah sister!"

Some of the others:

"Y'ever been down south?" - black prostitute

"I goin' to keel you!" - Cartel member

"In the navy!" - Dock worker
TreeFitty
First time is definitely the most memerable to me. I remember trying to drive the car, but didn't know what buttons to hit until it popped up on the screen telling you how (sat there moving the analog sticks up and down saying "why the hell won't it go!"). then i crashed into EVERYTHING getting used to the controls and ultimately blew up the car, me, and 8-ball.
ViceMan
Maybe everything seemed bigger because we were younger. I remember being so impressed with the graphics. biggrin.gif

Oh I just remembered another quote:

"Get in the back... Argh!"
The Awesome One
The graphics. Were the best at the time.
Massacre
It was the whole experience. When I first played III, I'd never even heard of GTA before. It honestly changed my life forever.
The Awesome One
QUOTE (Massacre @ Sep 12 2009, 05:03 PM) *
It was the whole experience. When I first played III, I'd never even heard of GTA before. It honestly changed my life forever.

I had heard of GTA, but I thought it was gonna be a shit game. Then I heard about GTA3, and I thought, "Hey, this might actually be good"
TreeFitty
QUOTE (Massacre @ Sep 12 2009, 12:03 PM) *

Same. Friend of mine was telling me about it.
ViceMan
Can't believe so many people haven't played the original. I remember reading a review of it before it came out and playing a demo of the first level (which probably came with the same magazine.) I was only 10 or 11 when the original came out.

I've always liked the dark humour in GTA games, they're not trying to be overly serious like some games.
Bitch Heartless
When I beat it, took me forever lol.
ConQueSteD
Seeing it going from Overhead view to 3rd Person View and the graphics at that point in time seemed as if it was the best graphics out their.
Tranque
I was about to say when Koshiko Kasen died XD.png

Anyway it has to be when Donald Love lets out his phrase of "Nothing drives down real estate prices like a good old fashioned gang war, apart from an outbreak of the plague, but that might be going too far in this case"
Massacre
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Sep 12 2009, 03:52 PM) *
QUOTE (Massacre @ Sep 12 2009, 12:03 PM) *

Same. Friend of mine was telling me about it.

It was my cousin that got me started. I'll always remember the day he showed up at my house all wide-eyed, he just handed me his PS2 (I didn't have one back then) and said "Dude, play this shit."
ConQueSteD
It was a friend that showed it to me around a few weeks after its release. I was amazed. both of us being young and playing GTA, we felt like it was a total dream come true because the Gameplay was top of the line for the games to have came out that year.
ViceMan
QUOTE (Tranque @ Sep 13 2009, 02:32 AM) *
I was about to say when Koshiko Kasen died XD.png

Anyway it has to be when Donald Love lets out his phrase of "Nothing drives down real estate prices like a good old fashioned gang war, apart from an outbreak of the plague, but that might be going too far in this case"

And when that same line appeared again in Vice City I thought; "Wait, I know that line!"

Matthew
I think my most memorable was finding the Banshee in the one car place by 8 Balls. Taking that to the closed bridge, getting on it and seeing if i could make it across the gap. Just fun to keep trying, before i knew i could get the cars can fly cheat and get over there.
Viva La Dillon
When the blond hooker got in my car as I was reading the manual. I was like wth, and had a good laugh for 15 mins or so. rolleyes.gif
trathen93
had to be trying to fly the dodo plane, and wondering why the thing wouldnt fly. I soon realised that the dodo bird cant fly, but I was young. think I got about 15 seconds as the longest time. still chuffed.
TreeFitty
QUOTE (El-Nino @ Sep 14 2009, 06:19 PM) *
had to be trying to fly the dodo plane, and wondering why the thing wouldnt fly. I soon realised that the dodo bird cant fly, but I was young. think I got about 15 seconds as the longest time. still chuffed.

Same. my friends bragged about flying around the map and i told them they were lying. after learning the 'hold the nose down' thing my goal was getting over to Staunton Island from the runway. made it a bunch of times. and one day I got lucky and got it to fly pretty good for a few minutes. i was so happy. wub.gif
HB~Sauce
Listening to Game radio! "Shine til theres no shine no more, til the earth can't turn no more"
Massacre
I always preferred the random rambling guys on MSX.
ConQueSteD
I just always listened to Lazlow when playing GTA
HB~Sauce
I never did get into MSX, but I do know what you are talking about. And chatterbox still is one of the best talk show radio stations, along with VCPR
pimb
Most memorable moment is the day I played it. A friend once told me about that game that made you take control of a thug, working for the mob, the Yakuza's and a whole bunch of gangs... A game taking place in a city of a size never seen before where you couldn't go from a point to another without a car (that you had to steal) and where the traffic was stopping at the red lights, where you could start a fight with pedestrians. A game where you could accomplish a mission in different ways and in any order...
I thought it could be a cool game but forgot about it very quick when we started to talk about other stuff... A few weeks later I was at my friend's place where there was a PS2 with GTA. We played sports games and other co-op games when he said "Here's the game I told you about". Well why not... He was feeling sleepy and went to his bedroom. When he woke up next day he found me still playing at GTA III. "You just woke up ?" he said, I answered "I never stopped playing !!!"

Since then I'm addicted and I bought a PS2 just for GTA on September 2002. And 2 month later, GTA Vice City was in the stores. It was the beginning of a long love story...
DuPz0r
QUOTE (TreeFitty @ Sep 15 2009, 02:16 AM) *
QUOTE (El-Nino @ Sep 14 2009, 06:19 PM) *

Same. my friends bragged about flying around the map and i told them they were lying. after learning the 'hold the nose down' thing my goal was getting over to Staunton Island from the runway. made it a bunch of times. and one day I got lucky and got it to fly pretty good for a few minutes. i was so happy. wub.gif

OMG i completely forgot about that! I remember showing off to my friends that i could fly it around the map. That is how the ghost town was found. Which was the scene for the start up video.
Ex-PS Fanboy
This game in general is memorable for me. It was the first 3D gta game, and it was also the game that made me fall in love with gaming.
bOnEs
my most memorable moment? easy... the first time i got 6 stars and saw tanks coming biggrin.gif... i saw the cavalry coming and instantly said to myself, "this is the best game EVER!!!"... that's the most memorable moment outside of the whole first time playing feeling... i literally couldn't stop smiling for days when i got this...
Ex-PS Fanboy
That reminds me of the time I discovered this game, me and all my neighborhood friends, and all their brothers and us would sit in his basement and just take turns rampaging through the city. I think we did that every day for nearly a month.
Massacre
That's how it was for me. It'd be me and my cousin, we'd each play until we died and then pass the controller to the other person while whoever just died went and got refills for food and drinks.
TreeFitty
Me and my friend did every 12 in-game hours. So if you got killed/arrested you could get some revenge before passing the controller. tongue.gif
Zacko
Probably back when you could do GTA III multiplayer online for the PC version, or it might have even just be a mod for the Vice City multiplayer but either way it was Liberty City. I seem to remember a session with members from this site including Catnip and Damian (the only members I remember playing). It must have been an early hours of the morning thing considering their time differences.

Second best moment was initially getting the game on PC years back and not being able to run it that well due to having a shite PC, it was later that I got it for PS2 that I discovered the beauty of GTA.
DuPz0r
QUOTE (PS Fanboy @ Sep 15 2009, 08:18 PM) *
That reminds me of the time I discovered this game, me and all my neighborhood friends, and all their brothers and us would sit in his basement and just take turns rampaging through the city. I think we did that every day for nearly a month.

Man those were the days. I had similar times myself. This is what i hate about games these days, i know GTA didn't have that proper multiplayer experience. But other games did... We all sit on are butts in our own houses with no friends about playing alone online these days. How lazy and shite has gaming become! i remember when gaming was a REAL social event!

The ONLY game i can do that with these days is LBP because four players can enter at once...

It sucks. When i get into the gaming industry, I'm going to promise myself to concentrate on making games that have a decent co-op offline feature!
Massacre
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 16 2009, 03:49 PM) *
It sucks. When i get into the gaming industry, I'm going to promise myself to concentrate on making games that have a decent co-op offline feature!

I don't care what games you work on, I'm sold after that quote. Consider my $60 your own.
Qdeathstar
QUOTE (Massacre @ Sep 16 2009, 10:20 PM) *

I don't care what games you work on, I'm sold after that quote. Consider my $60 your own.

meh, i think that the gaming industry makes what gamers want
trathen93
if the gaming industry makes what gamers want, then they should implement decent co-op offline, in gta atleast. imagine if we had offline co-op in gta 3. the rampages would have been so much better, having me and my mate to do it. immense. i want this for pc now.
Caliph
It was my first GTA and sandbox gaming experience. That, in itself, makes it one of the most memorable moments...
TreeFitty
just remembered something:

one night listening to MSX (i think), it was a crazy song that slows down at one point. I was driving a kuruma (through the main road past chinatown to the bridge entrance as i remember) and had to slow down for something, and did it right at that point in the song. and right when the car stopped, the song did too. I thought "wtf??? did my car stall or something?", waited a second or 2, and started to drive again right as the song started up again. i was REALLY confused at that point thinking i could affect the radio and stopped the car at the bridge entrance. song didn't though. that was when i realised my driving wasn't affecting the song...

stupid moment but memorable. tongue.gif
Ex-PS Fanboy
Thanks a lot DuP... After reading this topic I had a sudden urge to play GTA3.

And I did it...
DuPz0r
Cool. I'm glad you had a nice reminiscent moment. I do that occasionally. I just go and whack on an old game, and get nostalgic. Good times.
bOnEs
QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Sep 17 2009, 09:00 AM) *

it truly does... it's not a reflection of the opinions on this board but, most gamers don't want an offline co-op because, most gamers enjoy playing with random strangers online... i call this the "halo" effect... most gamers tend to only know a couple of people that would play a game (like myself who don't have any serious gamers as friends, just casual gamers)... there's not a market for offline co-op anymore... tis a sad era we live in indeed...

dup, i will buy your games... your statement sounds like your the voice of the old-school gamer biggrin.gif... we are not dead yet, stupid online fanboys...

EDIT: i take back that statement i just made... casual gamers care not to go online and play, it's those kinds of people that would enjoy the offline co-op with a friend... so, it's not dead but, it's on it's last breath... casual gamers make up the biggest chunk of the gaming market thanks to the wii... and look at all the damn offline co-op games you find on the wii!! don't ignore that sony and M$...

LBP is the only game i play that has offline co-op... the other one i own that i don't play anymore is LEGO star wars laugh.gif...
DuPz0r
QUOTE (bOnEs @ Sep 23 2009, 03:53 PM) *
QUOTE (Qdeathstar @ Sep 17 2009, 09:00 AM) *

it truly does... it's not a reflection of the opinions on this board but, most gamers don't want an offline co-op because, most gamers enjoy playing with random strangers online... i call this the "halo" effect... most gamers tend to only know a couple of people that would play a game (like myself who don't have any serious gamers as friends, just casual gamers)... there's not a market for offline co-op anymore... tis a sad era we live in indeed...

dup, i will buy your games... your statement sounds like your the voice of the old-school gamer biggrin.gif... we are not dead yet, stupid online fanboys...

EDIT: i take back that statement i just made... casual gamers care not to go online and play, it's those kinds of people that would enjoy the offline co-op with a friend... so, it's not dead but, it's on it's last breath... casual gamers make up the biggest chunk of the gaming market thanks to the wii... and look at all the damn offline co-op games you find on the wii!! don't ignore that sony and M$...

LBP is the only game i play that has offline co-op... the other one i own that i don't play anymore is LEGO star wars laugh.gif...

It's just that my partner likes to play games with me a lot of the time too. And when i do have friends around i enjoy playing console with them. I still like online play, i mean LBP has offline and online entwined. So this is something that games companies should also work on. Being able to play online with people in the same room as you is a pretty good thing imo.

on-topic:
I would have loved GTAIII to be multiplayer. That would have made the best game of the era just that bit better.
Seeen
Two times:

1. The first time I played, I came. So insane! A whole city to fully explore?! Checking out every square foot, just because you could.

2. I remember being really stoned, and I was driving a bus around Staunton Island during sunrise when it was really foggy out, listening to Double Clef and that song that they use in the trailer was playing. I remember thinking that this is what the fuck ALL video games should be like.
DANNY B0Y
Actually playing it. I bought it in 2004 and I was glued to it. I bought San Andreas, LCS and VCS on the PS2. I got an Xbox 360 with GTA IV. Playing GTA III sparked off my GTA addiction.
trathen93
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 23 2009, 05:16 PM) *
on-topic:
I would have loved GTAIII to be multiplayer. That would have made the best game of the era just that bit better.

dont you think that rockstar pushed the boat out enough in the first place? the amount of effort that went into the game to make the leap from the top down view was amazing and adding multiplayer was probably the last thing on their mind.
Marney1
I was totally blown away by GTAIII at the time because it was exactly the kind of game I had planned out in my head all along. I always thought that if I could make a game it would be just like that, so for me it really was a dream come true.

I suppose my most memorable moment would be dragging a taxi driver out of his car and driving off in it. I smashed into anything and everything and thought, "WTF, am I even controlling this?" - because I didn't know the controls.
OptimumPx
I remember trying to search out every corner in Portland..to see everything. smile.gif
new major on the block
On one mission when i was working for the italians the chinese started invading the area and i had like 2 italian gangsters with me. We went around blasting the chinese. When i auto targeted to shoot one of the chinese who was beating up on one of the italians on the street corner, it accidently targeted the italian and i shot him. After the fight was over with, the bodyguards were hassling me and talking smack to me cause i shot one of their guys. Throughout the rest of the mission when we drove to china town to do something they were like aiming their guns at me and saying shit and even firing a few shots at me when we got out of the car.
DANNY B0Y
^He means Triads + Tribulations. I'm starting to get back into this game now.
Canadianbacon123
I know it's a big thread bump, but oh well.

My most memorable moment was playing the game for the 1st time, thinking that this was the best (and best looking) game I've ever played. The huge (by then's standards) city to explore and do pretty much whatever the hell you wanted and just laughing at all the mayhem you were causing. That's what gaming should still be like, now it's too competitive to see who is the best at this or the best at that and it takes a lot of the fun away when people are fucking crybabies because they lost.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.