Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PS3 Sales Up up and AWAY!
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > Geek Central
Pages: 1, 2
DuPz0r
Quote by Randy Nelson @ joystiq.com
Sony Computer Entertainment America has some good news and some bad news to share. The good: Sales of PS3 hardware at its "top retailers" jumped 300% for the first week of September versus the week before the system's price was cut to $299 for the 120GB "slim" unit. The bad: Um, well ... okay, we lied. Everything's pretty good for a change at SCEA HQ, considering people are actually buying its console. (Although 300% pales in comparison to Europe's totally legit 999% increase ... or Japan's 7,350% increase).

The hardware maker also noted that, as of August, five of consumers' top 10 most-wanted games (as surveyed by OTX's GamePlan Insights) -- Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III, Assassin's Creed 2 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 -- are on PS3, in case you somehow didn't know this. We would like to note (mainly for Sony's information) that Modern Warfare 2 is also on Xbox 360, and that version was No. 2 in OTX's survey results, whereas the PS3 version placed 10th. (Assassin's Creed 2 for 360 is No. 3 and No. 8 for PS3.) In fact, if you calculate the "purchase intent index" for the top three (all Xbox 360 games) and the lower five (all PS3 games) they're nearly identical. But still, we'll give it to them.

Maybe it's more worthwhile, though, to point out that Uncharted 2 didn't even make the top 25. What's up with that?

7,350% in japan XD.png AWESOME. It is good to hear the ps3 is starting to get the recognition it deserves. Now there is no off putting price tag, the PS3 should do really well, and hopefully we will see more money going into the PSN and the way things work on the PS3. EVOLUTION HAS STARTED!!!
ConQueSteD
Wow those %'s look fake but i believe that they are totally legit.
RamzKilla
I read about it going up 999% in the UK. Never really believed it till I read the whole article and it said basically "nobody bought PS3, Now everyone bought a PS3." clap.gif
trathen93
fianally the ps3's time has come. its like the arrival of a dominant force. its like sony saying, "hey 360 fanboys love your console? well pow! THE PS3 PWNS YOURS IN EVERY WAY NOW. cos its small.
some 360 fanboys i know are gettin this now. yesss
Pieface
I'm waiting for the next episode on Watchdog. A huge piece on the PS3 and the problems that they have been having. And the little Sony has done to change it. Should even the playing field about the Xbox 360 RROD and should stop all the fanboyistic idiots spouting that off.

Also this is not a topic to say "OMGz teh PS3 is better!!11!!! Xbox Sucks". We don't encourage Fanboyism and don't want to have to go back to the old ways on treating fanboyistic comments.
DuffMan
And yet I still won't be getting one because all my mates have 360s, because they were cheaper at the time. Too late, Sony.
HB~Sauce
Sony has practically re-launched the console with a new redesign, new font/logo associated with the system, new box art now, and of course a lower price.

They'll need to advertise like crazy so they can get games like Uncharted 2 known to the public.
trathen93
i personally prefer the older ps3. it looks much better, but i dont think sony will complain about something that bumps up sales even if it is ugly.
the idea of advertising seems to have passed sony by though HB~Sauce, a huge ad campeign isnt really going happen
Massacre
I'm still not sure if I'm going to get one.
HB~Sauce
QUOTE (Massacre @ Sep 11 2009, 10:34 AM) *
I'm still not sure if I'm going to get one.

What puts you on the fence?
ViceMan
QUOTE (DuffMan @ Sep 11 2009, 04:04 PM) *
And yet I still won't be getting one because all my mates have 360s, because they were cheaper at the time. Too late, Sony.

I don't have that problem as most of my mates don't have consoles anyway (and I rarely speak to them,) and if they have 360s - fuck 'em. I'm not going to get one just so I can play with them. I prefer playing alone anyway.
Massacre
QUOTE (HB~Sauce @ Sep 11 2009, 12:43 PM) *
What puts you on the fence?

My internet connection, actually. I live in the middle of nowhere, so the only broadband internet I can get is a Verizon Wireless USB modem, which limits me to 5 gigs of data usage per month. I barely get online on my 360, but I still run out my data usage within three weeks. One of the reasons I want a PS3 is for LBP, which I would be online all the time for.

I'm sure I'll end up getting one when I move.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE (Massacre @ Sep 11 2009, 02:25 PM) *
My internet connection, actually. I live in the middle of nowhere, so the only broadband internet I can get is a Verizon Wireless USB modem, which limits me to 5 gigs of data usage per month. I barely get online on my 360, but I still run out my data usage within three weeks. One of the reasons I want a PS3 is for LBP, which I would be online all the time for.

Be sure to add me when you do!
DuPz0r
LBP is one of those good reasons to get a PS3. Unlimited levels are a pretty good deal for the price!
§ynch
QUOTE (DuffMan @ Sep 11 2009, 08:04 AM) *
And yet I still won't be getting one because all my mates have 360s, because they were cheaper at the time.

Too late, Sony.
Yes, same here. Also the backwards compatibility issue.

I returned my brand new PS3, mislabeled as a 60Gb,
which was just a regular unit - but kept the adapter
that *only* works with the discontinued model.
Ball....dropped....

Another thing they need is a proper disk tray.
I'm not sticking a $60 disk into a slot in molded plastic.
Sony seemed to have forgotten how good the PS1 and 2 were.

bOnEs
i haven't had any issues with it scratching the discs like i did with the old PS2 tray... i prefer the newer way myself...

it's good to see their numbers up though... the few friends i do have that play video games own the system and the new price has brought about rumblings towards other friends to look into it... it's a win-win for video gamers period biggrin.gif... plus, they've now got an established lineup of current and future games, and dropping the price was the last hurdle cleared to continue on its long successful journey... enjoy the PS3 for another 7+ years my friends... it's worth the long-term investment...
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE (Massacre @ Sep 11 2009, 11:25 AM) *

Seriously, man, you need one. It would be sick to play with you.
Massacre
QUOTE (TheAnalogKid2112 @ Sep 11 2009, 10:24 PM) *
Seriously, man, you need one. It would be sick to play with you.

If the level making thing in LBP is as good as I hope it is, you'll be getting a terrifying glimpse into my psyche usually reserved for hobos and prostitutes.
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE (Massacre @ Sep 11 2009, 07:54 PM) *
If the level making thing in LBP is as good as I hope it is, you'll be getting a terrifying glimpse into my psyche usually reserved for hobos and prostitutes.

Dude, I kid you not, you can make ANYTHING in LittleBigPlanet. If you see it in your head, and you're good enough at level building, you can 100% make it. Trust me, I've seen it all. Things I didn't think were even possible, were made. Even swimming pools that are unbelievably realistic and make you feel like you're in water are indeed just illusions. (Water hasn't been in the game yet, but will be soon.)
Massacre
Awesome. I'm mentally designing already.
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE (Massacre @ Sep 11 2009, 09:26 PM) *
Awesome. I'm mentally designing already.

If you go to their official website, (the name escapes me) they have a blueprint feature where you can sorta map out your level ideas. Pretty neat idea, though I never tried it.
The Awesome One
Xbox still ahead. And heres why. If it was 999% the whole of the UK would own one. And well, they dont.
Darth Sexy
Who'd have thought? The PS3 sells more when it isn't stupidly expensive. I still won't be getting one, as I have a 360, and have neither the time nor the funds to invest in a second console, nor the need, really.
DuffMan
QUOTE (Captain.Charisma @ Sep 12 2009, 08:20 AM) *
Xbox still ahead. And heres why. If it was 999% the whole of the UK would own one. And well, they dont.

I hope you realise that a 999% increase in sales means that sales are up tenfold, and when the PS3 wasn't selling that great before, it isn't impossible to have such a figure.
DuPz0r
QUOTE (DuffMan @ Sep 12 2009, 12:48 PM) *
I hope you realise that a 999% increase in sales means that sales are up tenfold, and when the PS3 wasn't selling that great before, it isn't impossible to have such a figure.

Yeah so it means for example every 100 consoles that were sold in their lowest point, 1000 consoles are now being sold in their peak. That is a pretty good jump.
The Awesome One
QUOTE (DuffMan @ Sep 12 2009, 12:48 PM) *
QUOTE (Captain.Charisma @ Sep 12 2009, 08:20 AM) *

Stupid advanced calculators.
DiO
QUOTE (Captain.Charisma @ Sep 12 2009, 03:20 AM) *

No. Its still ahead cause It came out a year earlier.
The Awesome One
QUOTE (DiO @ Sep 12 2009, 06:55 PM) *
QUOTE (Captain.Charisma @ Sep 12 2009, 03:20 AM) *

No. Its still ahead cause It came out a year earlier.

Yea, and that.
ViceMan
QUOTE (§ynch @ Sep 11 2009, 11:35 PM) *

It's not moulded plastic, the slot is surrounded by a soft cushioning material that opens up when you insert a disc. I\ve had no problems with scratches, my GTA IV disc is spotless (then again it rarely leaves my PS3, it's the only game I play.)
The Awesome One
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Sep 12 2009, 08:17 PM) *

It's not moulded plastic, the slot is surrounded by a soft cushioning material that opens up when you insert a disc. I\ve had no problems with scratches, my GTA IV disc is spotless (then again it rarely leaves my PS3, it's the only game I play.)

Maybe they heated it up then squashed it into the shape.
ViceMan
QUOTE (Captain.Charisma @ Sep 12 2009, 08:22 PM) *

I'unno, all I know is it works perfectly for receiving discs, they slide in so easily.

(I deliberately made this post easily exploitable.)
The Awesome One
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Sep 12 2009, 08:24 PM) *

I'unno, all I know is it works perfectly for receiving discs, they slide in so easily.

I still cant believe a console gets all these sales cause its smaller.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE (Captain.Charisma @ Sep 12 2009, 03:29 PM) *

Oh my god. You sir, are a retard.

It's gotten so many sales because the dropped the price $100
The Awesome One
QUOTE (PS Fanboy @ Sep 12 2009, 08:31 PM) *

It's gotten so many sales because the dropped the price $100

There is that too.
TheAnalogKid2112
QUOTE (PS Fanboy @ Sep 12 2009, 12:31 PM) *

This quote sums up what I feel after reading every single post by Captain.Charisma.
The Awesome One
If I said the true reason, I would of got slacked for that. In fact, whatever the hell I post I get slack for! Even if it is a good post. And the slack, is mainly from the americans. It must the language barrier. engerland.gif
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE (Captain.Charisma @ Sep 12 2009, 05:41 PM) *
If I said the true reason, I would of got slacked for that. In fact, whatever the hell I post I get slack for! Even if it is a good post. And the slack, is mainly from the americans. It must the language barrier. engerland.gif

It must the language barrier, because in my country, that sentence doesn't make sense.
The Awesome One
QUOTE (PS Fanboy @ Sep 12 2009, 10:47 PM) *

It must the language barrier, because in my country, that sentence doesn't make sense.

Yea, its the language barrier all right. dry.gif
Massacre
Even if it is a good post.

You've made good posts? huh.gif
ConQueSteD
QUOTE (Massacre @ Sep 12 2009, 09:50 PM) *
Even if it is a good post.

You've made good posts? huh.gif

It obviously wasn't on these forums.
DuPz0r
Sony have always been innovators and risk takers. They made a risk at the start and that was big investments in their Cell Processor and blu-ray device. Blu-ray has now become a standard that every other company have now followed. And the Cell is still a pretty decent processor.

Now they have money to create a cheaper model and distribute it, they can safely reduce the price. This is the only reason it is selling more, purely on the fact it has become cheaper to make and therefore cheaper to buy.

Just found something:
- PS3: 151,783 150,743 (14,494.52%)
- DSi: 60,419 538 (0.90%)
- PSP: 22,184 3,897 (14.94%)
- Wii: 21,557 3,481 (13.90%)
- DS Lite: 8,309 1,005 (13.76%)
- Xbox 360: 6,827 427 (5.89%)
- PS2: 3,001 178 (5.60%)
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 13 2009, 09:56 AM) *
Sony have always been innovators and risk takers. They made a risk at the start and that was big investments in their Cell Processor and blu-ray device. Blu-ray has now become a standard that every other company have now followed. And the Cell is still a pretty decent processor.

Now they have money to create a cheaper model and distribute it, they can safely reduce the price. This is the only reason it is selling more, purely on the fact it has become cheaper to make and therefore cheaper to buy.

Just found something:

Wut? Is that a mistake?
HB~Sauce
wow, what a jump! But suprising to see that in the previous week the PS3 only sold 1000 or so units in japan...
The Awesome One
It wont catch up with the 360. Thats around 5 million ahead. 360 im pretty sure is still cheaper. PS3 will close the gap to around 2 million.
DuPz0r
QUOTE (PS Fanboy @ Sep 14 2009, 04:24 PM) *
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 13 2009, 09:56 AM) *

Just found something:

Wut? Is that a mistake?

Read this:
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/13/japanese...ot-compute-edi/
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE (Captain.Charisma @ Sep 14 2009, 01:52 PM) *
It wont catch up with the 360. Thats around 5 million ahead. 360 im pretty sure is still cheaper. PS3 will close the gap to around 2 million.

That's japan. And Sony is currently dominating the Japanese market. The fact that sales went up that much in Japan is a huge shock to me. I thought most people in Japan owned a PS3 to begin with.
DiO

Eventually, I think it will.
HB~Sauce
QUOTE (QD-O @ Sep 14 2009, 05:20 PM) *

I was just going to say, the PS3 is still early in its console cycle that being priced at 300$ with it's potential not yet maxxed out for AAA titles and having incentives like blu-ray, wifi and free online that it will close the gap.

DuffMan
QUOTE (HB~Sauce @ Sep 15 2009, 01:45 AM) *

I was just going to say, the PS3 is still early in its console cycle that being priced at 300$ with it's potential not yet maxxed out for AAA titles and having incentives like blu-ray, wifi and free online that it will close the gap.

It's three years old now, which puts it about half-way through its likely lifecycle, and try explaining all that to the people who have had their 360 for four years now and have a massive game/hardware collection built up for it. It's not easy to play catch up in this business.
DuPz0r
QUOTE (DuffMan @ Sep 15 2009, 10:50 AM) *
QUOTE (HB~Sauce @ Sep 15 2009, 01:45 AM) *

It's three years old now, which puts it about half-way through its likely lifecycle, and try explaining all that to the people who have had their 360 for four years now and have a massive game/hardware collection built up for it. It's not easy to play catch up in this business.

Yeah but there is still people out there who buy multiple consoles just for the sake of it.

I have a couple of friends who have both 360 and PS3. They don't have a whole lot of money to splash out, but they are gaming addicts...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.