Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Derren Brown 'predicted Lottery'?
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > General > Entertainment
Pages: 1, 2
trathen93
Ive heared a lot about this today and im gutted I missed it. it was on every channel 4 and E4 and every other channel theyve got. but i was on the ps3. lol
theres supposedly a show on friday showing how he done it, so i cant wait to see it. did any1 see this, and what did you think?
Sheep
I saw it, was weird, i cant work out how he could possibly have done it, was one continuous shot and it was live cuz i was flicking back to bbc to check... must be some osrtof trickery but i guess we'll find out on friday...
The Awesome One
I saw it. It was live, you could flick between the BBC and 4 for proof. I cant wait for fridays show, and next weeks.
ViceMan
Didn't see it but as with most of these things i'm somewhat suspicious, so what, was it just him sitting there listing off lottery numbers a few minutes before the numbers were drawn?
The Awesome One
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Sep 10 2009, 06:55 PM) *
Didn't see it but as with most of these things i'm somewhat suspicious, so what, was it just him sitting there listing off lottery numbers a few minutes before the numbers were drawn?

No, he had the numbers there ready. He werent allowed to show them until after the Beeb showed the numbers for legal reasons. I didnt think 5 secs later would count though!
ViceMan
I guess if he'd shown them before they were selected and they were right the BBC could be done for fixing the results, even if they hadn't. biggrin.gif
trathen93
showing them about 5 mins before wouldnt have hurt would it? cos the registration for the draw closes atleast an hour before. doing it just a few seconds after still makes me unsure. this thing sounds fake, we shall see tomorrow.
ViceMan
Yeah but some people would try to link him to the BBC, saying they were in on it together, as some sort of illuminati conspiracy.
The Awesome One
The lottery isnt BBC run, its owned by a separate company. I cant see it being fake as he once predicted what horses wouldm win 8 times in a row. Besides, how the hell can you fix the lottery?
ViceMan
I have no idea, but there will always be people who jump to conclusions and assume that was the case. So I guess it was to avoid legal action from some silly people.
Ex-PS Fanboy
We've experience weird shit before

e.g. Amnesiac predicting Billy Mays.
CutThatCity
QUOTE (El-Nino @ Sep 10 2009, 07:03 PM) *
showing them about 5 mins before wouldnt have hurt would it? cos the registration for the draw closes atleast an hour before. doing it just a few seconds after still makes me unsure. this thing sounds fake, we shall see tomorrow.

Yeah true, but I don't think that's enough to make me think it was 'fake'. Maybe channel 4 didn't want to push the fact they already got to show the lottery in the first place.
DuPz0r
I watched this. I can only think of one way he could have done it. He is famous for remembering a large amount of information at once. Did anyone see the celebrity show he did when he remembered a full AtoZ of london, and told them the exact page and co-ord they live at.

Anyway, back to this. I think he must have spent the past year writing down all the numbers and analyzing how often they dropped. He must of figured out a way of predicting the odds of each number dropping based on how high the possibility it was. I don't know how you'd go about this, but it is bloody clever. If he tells us how he did it (which he said he will on Friday), then there are surely going to be people trying this out and winning millions....
Benzilla
He did something similar a while back, where he predicted what horse would win a race. He got it right, but the reason he got it right is because he got loads of people to put money on all of the horses and only filmed the one who won. Fair enough the lottery one has a much larger range but he probably did something along those lines. He's putting a show on tomorrow on the TV (Dunno what channel) telling us how he did it anyway.
DuffMan
You don't predict the lottery. There's always a trick involved, just like magic. Don't let anything make you believe otherwise rolleyes.gif
ViceMan
I am remaining apathetic. (Yet again.)

QUOTE (Benzilla @ Sep 10 2009, 09:02 PM) *
He's putting a show on tomorrow on the TV (Dunno what channel)...

On the TV? That's a risky move, these new fangled inventions will never catch on, why doesn't he just write a newspaper column explaining how he did it?

On a less sarcastic level i'm guessing it'll be on Channel 4 or E4.
ConQueSteD
I'll laugh if he missed it on the lottery, if he does get it right then i'll call HOAX
DiO
QUOTE (PS Fanboy @ Sep 10 2009, 03:05 PM) *
We've experience weird shit before

e.g. Amnesiac predicting Billy Mays.

/\ This
The Awesome One
QUOTE (ConQueSteD @ Sep 10 2009, 09:22 PM) *
I'll laugh if he missed it on the lottery, if he does get it right then i'll call HOAX

He might of not even got the TV on. They had ten mins to do it, and the lottery is a 20 min program. He could of missed the lottery all together. That would be better than a hoax.
Benzilla
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Sep 10 2009, 09:14 PM) *
I am remaining apathetic. (Yet again.)

On the TV? That's a risky move, these new fangled inventions will never catch on, why doesn't he just write a newspaper column explaining how he did it?

On a less sarcastic level i'm guessing it'll be on Channel 4 or E4.

Just stay in the Asylum will you.

Times it on at?
The Awesome One
QUOTE (Benzilla @ Sep 10 2009, 09:43 PM) *
Just stay in the Asylum will you.

Times it on at?

Its on Channel 4, at 9 or 10 pm. (I will be able to say what time tommorow.)
DuPz0r
I just seen this video. It is sped up concentrating on the balls. They appear to move slightly which would point towards a simple split screen camera trick.

I doubt he'll tell us the truth tonight. He'll make some shit up to make him look smart. That's what he does best.
The Awesome One
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 11 2009, 06:04 PM) *
I just seen this video. It is sped up concentrating on the balls. They appear to move slightly which would point towards a simple split screen camera trick.

I doubt he'll tell us the truth tonight. He'll make some shit up to make him look smart. That's what he does best.

The Sun reckon this too. I hope it is different though, or his year of work would of been 364 days lazing around.
ViceMan
I'll miss this and watch something more interesting, don't want to waste an hour seeing how it was done just to find out he faked it. (Which he will have done.)
Massacre
Who's Derren Brown? This some Brit thing again?
DuPz0r
He is an illusionist and prediction-ist. He has done a number of crazy stunts on telly including playing Russian Roulette with himself until the last barrel which of course was the one with the bullet in.

And yeah, he is British.
The Awesome One
engerland.gif
DuPz0r
The Awesome One
Wednesdays show, try and spot some trickery.
DuPz0r
It has started!!!

Don't tell me he is going to say that he somehow influenced the all the public watching to influence the lottery machine to produce the numbers he predicted!!!!
ViceMan
So how did he fake/do it then?
The Awesome One
Next week sounds even better! He is going to entertain us so much we cant get out of our seats-literally.
trathen93
how did he actually do it, ive been on dirt 2 so i couldnt be arsed watchin him
ViceMan
Pity I never got in my seat to watch it. laugh.gif
Was it just an hour of him explaining how he didn't do it?
The Awesome One
QUOTE (ViceMan @ Sep 11 2009, 10:05 PM) *
Pity I never got in my seat to watch it. laugh.gif
Was it just an hour of him explaining how he didn't do it?

No, how he did it. It was group trickery, but it worked. Then he explained a idea that would get him in jail. He didnt do that, he was just winding up the Beeb.
Indy
I think it's an overlay.
Indy
I found this;
Look, its not that difficult. Half of the screen was frozen while the balls were changed. The camera used was fixed on a tripod, and side-to-side movements were added digitally during playback (this can be rendered v quickly). The whole thing about using the wisdom of masses only applies for something which isn't totally random but desribed by a normal distribution (such as guessing the weight of an object). You can't use it to guess lottery numbers. A lot of people need to get a reality check.
The Awesome One
Ive seen alot of his shows before, there this trick during last nights show.

DuPz0r
It seemed very convincing, but I'm not buying his deep maths theory. Using 30 odd people to produce random numbers without being conscious of what they are writing, then managing to get the right numbers of something that is entirely randomly decided by a machine, in my mind, is not possible. But hey, at least now loads of idiots are going to start groups to try and produce the right numbers, it is inevitable. This will be entertaining.

I'll watch next weeks show just because even though I'm very skeptical and find it hard to believe stuff, i still enjoy watching them to see if it could or couldn't be possible.
The Awesome One
QUOTE (DuPz0r @ Sep 12 2009, 09:18 AM) *
It seemed very convincing, but I'm not buying his deep maths theory. Using 30 odd people to produce random numbers without being conscious of what they are writing, then managing to get the right numbers of something that is entirely randomly decided by a machine, in my mind, is not possible. But hey, at least now loads of idiots are going to start groups to try and produce the right numbers, it is inevitable. This will be entertaining.

I'll watch next weeks show just because even though I'm very skeptical and find it hard to believe stuff, i still enjoy watching them to see if it could or couldn't be possible.

Next weeks show has to work, or he will be a fake. It is called "control the nation"
Zacko
He's an illusionist who only gave the illusion that he predicted the lottery, the frozen screen idea is the best theory on it but he could have fixed the machine.

I've been watching most of his shows on 4OD all week and what he does is very entertaining and I love the way he shows just how predictable the human brain is, making some of the stuff he does seem incredible even though it's rooted in human psychology.

Either way, he's got a lot of publicity from this.
Hardcore Ottoman
Unless he actually won the lotto to prove himself, I don't give a fuck. At all. His body language during the draw was hardly convincing anyway.
The Awesome One
I got stuck on tonights show. Felt really weird, could move upper body fine just not my legs.
Sheep
Didnt affect me at all =/
The Awesome One
QUOTE ( Sheep @ Sep 18 2009, 10:25 PM) *
Didnt affect me at all =/

Thats a shame. It was a surreal experience, one that better be repeated as I loved it.
DuPz0r
It was pretty weird. Because i could have stood up if i wanted to, but it made me feel heavy, and sort of restrained. I only felt it in my legs and hands. But then i just stood up. I was trying to allow it to work on me, but it didn't work like people said. I didn't feel literally stuck in my chair. It just made me feel lazy.

It was the same sort of feeling you get when someone asks you to put your hands parallel in front of you and imagine you are squeezing an invisible cube between them. Afterward your hands feel heavy. That is the exact feeling i got.
anomalous_result
I don't think it was subliminals though, more suggestion, like that weird voice he went into just before the ad break. Can't remember as I saw the second running when I got in from the pub. I liked his giraffe thing. And the perception without awareness... fine... but we still can't see UV so the fact that one t-shirted person was picked over any other still left me feeling cold. Anyway, still looking forward to more mind fucks from him.
ConQueSteD
i watched it off youtube and i could stand up when ever i felt like it, he's trying to place subliminal messages but he doesn't have it flash enough only about twice. He's more garbage then Criss Angel but they both suck balls and need to quit
The Awesome One
QUOTE (ConQueSteD @ Sep 19 2009, 07:51 PM) *
i watched it off youtube and i could stand up when ever i felt like it, he's trying to place subliminal messages but he doesn't have it flash enough only about twice. He's more garbage then Criss Angel but they both suck balls and need to quit

According to him it does not work on the net because its only works on high quality TV. (Safety reasons there) Besides, it happened to me.
ConQueSteD
how could it not work on the net but work on TV? they are the same thing just shown a different way. if you noticed when said focus on the screen and a subliminal message would flash of a person tied to a chair, its all mind games.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.