Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RDR General Topic
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > Red Dead Series > Red Dead Redemption
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
Massacre
I'll let you borrow it. Just put my 360 disk into your PS3. It'll work.
Niko Fira
lol i'm back to just to say a little thing...this game is fucking awesome, that is all....

lol no but seriously, i don't think there's anything i can see that's bad about this game, i would tell you about the most randome and awesome thing that happened to me during my 6 hour play but i wouldn't want to ruin the excitement, i remember when i got it i did the first mission then on my way to the second mission i got distracted for a whole 2 hours, haha yes 2 hours. i'm taking a rest to check up on the forums,eat,Facebook, then i'm going back, too much fun, Enjoy guys!
DiO
Tomorrow bitches. I just bought Skate 3 and I'm loving it. Made time pass nicely for this. Then a week later I'm picking up UFC 2010. Fuck I got a lot of gamin' to do.
bOnEs
i'm leaving to pick it up as soon as south park is over, which it almost is... can't fucking wait!! biggrin.gif...
TreeFitty
So yeah, it's out over here.
Hardcore Ottoman
QUOTE (Massacre @ May 17 2010, 10:39 PM) *
I'll let you borrow it. Just put my 360 disk into your PS3. It'll work.

I love you.
coreyko_2003
Haha, I was the first in line at Gamestop tonight happy.gif...............and I have it on pause right now to get a bite to eat and I must say, from the little bit that I've played so far, this game is fucking epic =D
Psy
Keep posting your first impressions guys, we'll be making a news post about it on the site later today with some quotes from yourselves.
Indy
Yeah, just don't post any spoilers tongue.gif
Psy
QUOTE (Indy @ May 18 2010, 10:47 AM) *
Yeah, just don't post any spoilers tongue.gif

Yeah definitely! stupid.gif wink.gif
andy42s
I have to work overtime today. I won't be able to play for another 13 hours or so angry.gif
Kuwong
OH NO, 13 HOURS!? We won't get to play for at least 48 hours!!!
Niko Fira
LOL @ Kuwong, =/ i feel your pain.
bOnEs
WOW!! what a hell of a first few hours!! sure the game starts off slow and it takes some time to get used to the horses but goddamn, once you do, the world opens up biggrin.gif... i've done my far share of hunting already from just killing the animals that cross the road, or the ones that run out in front of me in the wilderness... i haven't seen a coyote in the wild or bear yet (thank god) but, i have seen snakes and armadillos... and lots of rabbits and deer...

the missions are slowly moving along and i feel more inclined to explore at the current moment since the story doesn't seem to have an urgency just yet... i've already met some interesting characters and ran into some interesting situations that i'd like to discuss... none of them are spoilers, just some random stuff...

i found some marshals or sheriffs that needed assistance in gunning down an outlaw so i gave chase and helped out... one time, shortly after i unlock the lasso, i saw two fugitives on foot running from a turned over coach... i lassoed the first one and for some reason my gun was equipped for the second one laugh.gif... i once approached a coach being held at gunpoint but, by the time i raised my gun to shot, they'd already shot the driver and when i killed that guy, the rest of the gang took me out in a matter of seconds... maybe i need to work on my gun skills and deadeye ability biggrin.gif...

in armadillo i shot some guy that was trying to beat up a lady... i walked right up to him and introduced a rifle to the face in the middle of the street laugh.gif... shortly after that i ran into a group of guys fighting over a treasure map... i shot who i apparently thought were the bad guys but, i ended up shooting the ones with the map instead so, i just killed them all and took the loot laugh.gif...

ohh, and as i was walking up to the saloon in armadillo, a dog stopped in front of me and pissed on the stairs to the bar laugh.gif... the funniest moment of the game so far laugh.gif...

and i can't figure out how to play horsehoes mad.gif... my throws are way off... tried my hand at poker and took out a couple of guys before i got too greedy and lost my money to some stupid hands... i guess there was a little more skill to poker than i originally thought biggrin.gif...

my impressions so far are at a lost for words... it's huge, it sucks you in, and it's totally ripe for the taking at every corner... hell, when i first got off the train i was testing out the controls and i accidentally aimed my pistol at some chump sitting on a bench reading a newspaper... the entire train station took off running into the desert laugh.gif... even guys up on platforms climbed down just to run away... i can tell i'm going to have a lot of fun once i start my evil file...
Hardcore Ottoman
QUOTE (bOnEs @ May 18 2010, 10:43 AM) *
ohh, and as i was walking up to the saloon in armadillo, a dog stopped in front of me and pissed on the stairs to the bar laugh.gif... the funniest moment of the game so far laugh.gif...

holy piss awesome
Niko Fira
QUOTE (bOnEs @ May 18 2010, 07:43 AM) *
WOW!! what a hell of a first few hours!! sure the game starts off slow and it takes some time to get used to the horses but goddamn, once you do, the world opens up biggrin.gif... i've done my far share of hunting already from just killing the animals that cross the road, or the ones that run out in front of me in the wilderness... i haven't seen a coyote in the wild or bear yet (thank god) but, i have seen snakes and armadillos... and lots of rabbits and deer...

the missions are slowly moving along and i feel more inclined to explore at the current moment since the story doesn't seem to have an urgency just yet... i've already met some interesting characters and ran into some interesting situations that i'd like to discuss... none of them are spoilers, just some random stuff...

i found some marshals or sheriffs that needed assistance in gunning down an outlaw so i gave chase and helped out... one time, shortly after i unlock the lasso, i saw two fugitives on foot running from a turned over coach... i lassoed the first one and for some reason my gun was equipped for the second one laugh.gif... i once approached a coach being held at gunpoint but, by the time i raised my gun to shot, they'd already shot the driver and when i killed that guy, the rest of the gang took me out in a matter of seconds... maybe i need to work on my gun skills and deadeye ability biggrin.gif...

in armadillo i shot some guy that was trying to beat up a lady... i walked right up to him and introduced a rifle to the face in the middle of the street laugh.gif... shortly after that i ran into a group of guys fighting over a treasure map... i shot who i apparently thought were the bad guys but, i ended up shooting the ones with the map instead so, i just killed them all and took the loot laugh.gif...

and i can't figure out how to play horsehoes mad.gif... my throws are way off... tried my hand at poker and took out a couple of guys before i got too greedy and lost my money to some stupid hands... i guess there was a little more skill to poker than i originally thought biggrin.gif...

my impressions so far are at a lost for words... it's huge, it sucks you in, and it's totally ripe for the taking at every corner... hell, when i first got off the train i was testing out the controls and i accidentally aimed my pistol at some chump sitting on a bench reading a newspaper... the entire train station took off running into the desert laugh.gif... even guys up on platforms climbed down just to run away... i can tell i'm going to have a lot of fun once i start my evil file...

ugh, i also can't get the hang of the Horse shoes game, or even start to know what i'm doing, and dude most of the side missions you said i still have'nt encountered, and i encountered A LOT, it's just so awesome the dynamics of it all, theres some moments i would like to share too but it's just not right for the few still waiting, oh man i can't get enough. haha! one thing that bugs me is my damn router, i believe my 360 connection is set to Strict or something, like i had to change it for MW2, ugh i keep getting disconnected from online, and i was having so much fun online too.
PabloHoneyOle
bones, quit with the smileys.

I am going to pick up my copy shortly on my lunch break, couldn't make it out for the midnight release.

I'll be thumbing the manual for the last four hours of work most likely.
trathen93
fuck cant wait till the UK release on friday, my copy was posted out by asda today so I should definitely get it on friday! sounds a fantastic game, I remember going on gun when my mate had an xbox 360 and i found it interesting because it was just so different, i can see this is great too.
coreyko_2003
Personally I love hunting in the game though........just the challenge of trying to hit the animal......lately I've namely gotten coyotes, wolves, rattlesnakes, and birds.........amongst other ones.....I also very ironically successfully hunted and skinned an armadillo outside of........Armadillo lulz
asthenia
QUOTE (KoreyKo @ May 18 2010, 06:49 PM) *
Personally I love hunting in the game though........just the challenge of trying to hit the animal......lately I've namely gotten coyotes, wolves, rattlesnakes, and birds.........amongst other ones.....I also very ironically successfully hunted and skinned an armadillo outside of........Armadillo lulz

What are the hunting mechanics like, if you don't mind me asking? A big fear is it's a one-hit, one-kill deal... I really hope it's body specific, as this will remove alot of the fun from it for me. I'd love a limping bear trying to take me down, I'd execute that fucker and sell his goods.
PabloHoneyOle
My copy is in my hand. I was going to leave it in there, but I couldn't risk anything happening to it.

I let one of my coworkers thumb the manual before I do.

The slipcover I received on my copy; probably to denote it as a Special Edition, is fucking awesome. It has a glossy red finish that is very handsome. The game came with a full map (with poster on the flipside), the manual and a card for the Special Edition Deadeye Outfit. No 48-hr Gold Trial (which I still have from my Special Edition GTAIV) card.

Can't wait to get home.
Marney1
Do A Barrel Roll
coreyko_2003
QUOTE (Asthenia @ May 18 2010, 12:52 PM) *
QUOTE (KoreyKo @ May 18 2010, 06:49 PM) *

What are the hunting mechanics like, if you don't mind me asking? A big fear is it's a one-hit, one-kill deal... I really hope it's body specific, as this will remove alot of the fun from it for me. I'd love a limping bear trying to take me down, I'd execute that fucker and sell his goods.

Well mind you, I've only gotten smaller game soooo I'm not sure how it would work for a bear.......but with the smaller ones....if you get it in the head...well one shot-one kill.......but about two to the limbs, and maybe 1-2 to the sides. Like I said, it depends on what you're going after.......I tried going after a wild boar (or whatever it is) once last night.....and shot the damn thing twice and still got taken out by it =/
coreyko_2003
I'm not gonna say anything about it but the mission where you get the lasso is FUCKING HARD.....that is all sleep.gif
TreeFitty
QUOTE (Marney1 @ May 18 2010, 02:53 PM) *
Do A Barrel Roll

roll2.gif hope someone gets a better video of it. looks hilarious.
BAMF
My first impressions is that this will be everything I expected. I'm not going to ramble on as I'm just taking a short break before I get back to it.

Most intense experience so far was, just about midnight, riding slowly up on something that I couldn't tell if it was a person or an animal. As I took my time, the figure came into full view and it was this man was on his knees and just then blowing his own brains out with a pistol. I looted his body and found a dead woman also lying there...

...If I had only been a little quicker?
Massacre
Well, I'm having some... issues. As with Just Cause 2, I'm going to attribute it to the fact that I've been PC gaming for the past few days, and assume that things will get easier for me soon.
Kamahl
ill try to get this tomorrow, seems like a really good game... i just hope i can find it =/
DiO
Played many hours. Used some bait and killed myself a cougar. Haven't seen no bear. Knifing chickens and rabbits is aweosme. I've been trying to lasso a deer then knifing that but they run away fast.
Hardcore Ottoman
I totally somehow bought this. Can't play it 'til tomorrow though.
TheAnalogKid2112
Man I gotta finish the Saboteur quick so I can get this!!!!!
Jeff Threat
I hate the game.
coreyko_2003
QUOTE (Jeff Threat @ May 19 2010, 01:02 AM) *
I hate the game.

......and why? Its pretty fuckin cool
asthenia
Thanks Korey... shame about the 2-shot kills. Hopefully it's not true for everything.
Kuwong
Man some idiot on another forum I post at is saying even though RDR has been made by the Rage engine creators, it won't be as good as a GTA game as they don't know how to make it like a GTA game. I can't help but wonder why you'd want it to be like a GTA game, given how repetitive GTA games are.
ViceMan
QUOTE (Jeff Threat @ May 19 2010, 07:02 AM) *
I hate the game.

I surely hope that was a sarcastic comment, as you've had a tattoo and were planning on getting two copies of it...?
Kuwong
Anyone worried this game will get a bad rap, or even get censored via patch? I'm hearing some things in game that sound like exactly what fox news strive to blow out of proportion and ruin for everyone.
asthenia
QUOTE (Kuwong @ May 19 2010, 10:04 AM) *
Anyone worried this game will get a bad rap, or even get censored via patch? I'm hearing some things in game that sound like exactly what fox news strive to blow out of proportion and ruin for everyone.

Bad rap - yes. It could be a 21st Century Lemmings and it'd get a bad rap... Purely because it's Rockstar.

Censored - Nope. So you couldn't kill a nun by hogtying her and putting her on train tracks in GTA... but it got through the ratings stage, fuck what the media outlets have to say.

Also - I'd like to add... Hasn't anyone noticed that's Jeff's first post since he got the game? Obviously, he hates it because it's ruining his eyes, family relationships, and will to live in the 21st Century.
BAMF
The key to getting the hang of the horses is to think like a horse. As long as you're trying to DRIVE it like a car you're going to struggle. You don't have an accelerator and break peddle, you've got spurs and reigns! That is not to say I'm a master horseman yet but I'm very impressed with how R* designed the mechanic - it feels very realistic being in the saddle. I also LOVE the fact that I can whistle to my horse and hop on him while he approaches me, for a galloping start!

By the way, I picked up my copy yesterday at a Bestbuy after work. I had NOT pre-ordered. When I entered the store I saw a RDR display with only three PS3 copies on it! I asked about the 360 and they said they were sold out already. I almost walked right out to go with plan B but I've gotten stuck before wandering all over the city to find a game so I thought I'd do the smart thing and check with the manager about availability. As I was waiting, one of the clerks found 10 more 360 copies that someone had forgotten to bring out!! - I also get the warhorse download even though I didn't pre-order! - But I'm impressed with how popular the game seems to be right out of the gates. Can't wait to see some sales figures for launch! thumbup.gif
Jeff Threat
ViceMan, I am just plain upset! My horse trampeled on a pooor cute bunny. Oh god I am I am gonna cry!

But all in all, this is my al time fav game. I love it
JamieMilne
i phoned hmv today in east kilbride, and asked if they were selling it early, cause "id heard other places were" lol, no luck, still have to wait till friday haha
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE (Jeff Threat @ May 19 2010, 09:23 AM) *
My horse trampeled on a pooor cute bunny. Oh god I am I am gonna cry!

I did this too - and a couple of armadillos.

I tried to run over a rattlesnake, but it spooked my horse and it bucked me off. I then proceeded to shoot the snake, skin it and then eat it's meat out of spite.

Speaking of skinning, I've amassed 20+ pelts in the few hours I was able to play. I skinned everything. The sounds the skinning makes is pretty disgusting and the skinned animals look pretty terrible. Also, people in town don't react well to you skinning a dog within town limits. Come here, puppy.

QUOTE (Asthenia @ May 19 2010, 05:24 AM) *
QUOTE (Kuwong @ May 19 2010, 10:04 AM) *

Bad rap - yes. It could be a 21st Century Lemmings and it'd get a bad rap... Purely because it's Rockstar.

Censored - Nope. So you couldn't kill a nun by hogtying her and putting her on train tracks in GTA... but it got through the ratings stage, fuck what the media outlets have to say.

Hmm, I will have to hogtie a few people and place them on the tracks, sit back, smoke one and wait for the 3:10 to Yuma.
Kuwong
My play.com has dispatched for anyone wondering, and fyi, A previous play.com order I had took three days to arrive, included the day it was despatched and day of delivery. So remember to count the day it was marked as dispatched. Basically looks like I'l get my copy come Friday, not tomorrow as I'd of hoped. Oh well.
bOnEs
man, i played this ALL DAY yesterday... i even took it online for a few hours... and let me tell you what, online ROCKS!! i was inviting D-O to a gaming session but, he was either ignoring me, or couldn't figure out how to do it... i'm up to level 9 now, it doesn't take long to gain levels if you doing some co-op gang stuff... basically, all i was doing was raiding gang hideouts with a bunch of people...

my first game i got laughed at because i was riding a donkey, as if they never seen one, even though you start with one... and they all spent the next few minutes trying to kill me so, once i finally got them both, i left the game... another interesting one was someone started the gold rush game mode and i ended up winning that one... i had one hell of a nice killing streak, taking out like 6 in a row and delivering double the money bags twice...

but the meat and potatoes of my online experience came from doing gang raids... fun stuff...

EDIT: finally figured out the horseshoes game, and i played liars dice, blackjack and some poker... i have still yet to win at poker mad.gif... shit's hard, and i am cheating too and i still can't win!! no cards games online though, that kind of pisses my off...

i've unlocked a few different outfits now too... the duster is my favorite biggrin.gif...

EDITv2: another note about online - R* has to clean up the code somewhere because, throughout at least half of the free roam session, you spend it invisible... hell, even the horse you whistle for is invisible!! it was hilarious the first 5 minutes and annoying the rest of the time... i hope this gets resolved in the next few days...
Massacre
OMFG. I love you Rockstar. I now know for sure that this game is all I'll need until New Vegas.

I got caught cheating at poker last night and some Chinese dude challenged me to a duel. I put all eight bullets in him, even managed a double-tap in the head. There's more tons more shit I could say, but I need to go play this now.
Niko Fira
QUOTE (bOnEs @ May 19 2010, 07:39 AM) *
man, i played this ALL DAY yesterday... i even took it online for a few hours... and let me tell you what, online ROCKS!! i was inviting D-O to a gaming session but, he was either ignoring me, or couldn't figure out how to do it... i'm up to level 9 now, it doesn't take long to gain levels if you doing some co-op gang stuff... basically, all i was doing was raiding gang hideouts with a bunch of people...

my first game i got laughed at because i was riding a donkey, as if they never seen one, even though you start with one... and they all spent the next few minutes trying to kill me so, once i finally got them both, i left the game... another interesting one was someone started the gold rush game mode and i ended up winning that one... i had one hell of a nice killing streak, taking out like 6 in a row and delivering double the money bags twice...

but the meat and potatoes of my online experience came from doing gang raids... fun stuff...

EDIT: finally figured out the horseshoes game, and i played liars dice, blackjack and some poker... i have still yet to win at poker mad.gif... shit's hard, and i am cheating too and i still can't win!! no cards games online though, that kind of pisses my off...

i've unlocked a few different outfits now too... the duster is my favorite biggrin.gif...

EDITv2: another note about online - R* has to clean up the code somewhere because, throughout at least half of the free roam session, you spend it invisible... hell, even the horse you whistle for is invisible!! it was hilarious the first 5 minutes and annoying the rest of the time... i hope this gets resolved in the next few days...

that invisible horse thing, i thought i was the only one, shit's annoying. and i keep getting kicked off online because something about connection with other players =/ and Online is sweet!, as i've said before i got my copy early even though i pre-ordered mines off Best-Buy, but i called up my friend and i'm giving him my copy and going to Best_buy in a few to get my pre-ordered copy (he's going to pay me for it when his taxes come). i really want that war horse lol.
ViceMan
QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ May 19 2010, 03:19 PM) *
Speaking of skinning, I've amassed 20+ pelts in the few hours I was able to play. I skinned everything. The sounds the skinning makes is pretty disgusting and the skinned animals look pretty terrible. Also, people in town don't react well to you skinning a dog within town limits. Come here, puppy.

I didn't think anything disgusted you, and even if it did you're meant to be stoic damn it!
bOnEs
QUOTE (ViceMan @ May 19 2010, 12:53 PM) *
QUOTE (Stoic Person Eater @ May 19 2010, 03:19 PM) *

I didn't think anything disgusted you, and even if it did you're meant to be stoic damn it!

lol, looking at a dead skinned horse is kind of disgusting in the game... it takes him a while to cut up a big animal like a horse... the skinned cows look kind of wierd too laugh.gif... but, don't hesitate to shoot bucks because, they can fetch you a lot of money because of their meat, hide, AND antlers...

i've been meaning to skin a town dog but, i haven't mustered up the courage yet... i am playing this file as good as i can... i'd like to save stuff like that for the evil game i am sure to start immediately after the conclusion to this one biggrin.gif...
JamieMilne
is your horse invisable for the entire time online ?
bOnEs
QUOTE (JamieMilne @ May 19 2010, 01:16 PM) *
is your horse invisable for the entire time online ?

no, but it's probably invisible about half the time... jump online and check it out, it's weird... i hope R* releases a patch to fix the problem today...

has anyone watched a film yet in armadillo??... it's fucking classic rockstar humor laugh.gif...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.