Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3DTV's
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Geek Central
DuPz0r
So we have the first few handfuls of "3DTVs" on the market at the moment. These are TVs built with similar technology that you may remember from those 80's 3D hologram cards. The screens use an array of tiny lenses at different angles, which in turn shows the left eye and the right eye different images. Your brain then constructs the 3D image, so it's like an optical-illusion. There is a processing chip in the Phillips new TV which calculates in real time what the left and the right eye should see. The screens are built so you can view in 3d without using 3d glasses, and still get that wow factor.

I was just wondering what you guys think of this? is it just another money making ploy, or do you believe it will be an awesome move in the right direction? I think this is a great technology, and it is about time we start to see things on a 3D display (or is it really fully 3D?) rather than 2D. I mean, how old is 2D display now... Mega old. Anyway, i think this is a great way for advertisement and the games industry to be moving in. Which they are btw. There is currently games being developed for this type of display as we speak. I had an interview at the University of Hertfordshire for a place in 3D Games Art. And he even started talking about it there. He told me that they are always getting the latest technology for all the students to work with, which is a must if they want to make it in the quickly evolving industry. He then started talking about 3D in games. And said he was new to it, but is already making wonderful looking gaming experiences with his students. I got a place in that Uni btw happy.gif.

Anyway, what do you think? Is this an exciting move? or do you think it is just meh?
Pieface
Should have gone to University of Central Lancashire like I am >_>
Qdeathstar
sounds like it will be expensive, plus i don't always want to watch stuff in 3D anway.
DuPz0r
QUOTE(Pieface @ Jul 23 2009, 12:23 PM) [snapback]1514265[/snapback]
Should have gone to University of Central Lancashire like I am >_>

Yeah i did see a demonstration by them at the UCAS fair in London a few months ago. I thought it looked ok, but UH impressed me more, so that was my primary choice, it is rated 2nd best for games art in the country. I think Plymouth or something was the best. It's just too far for me to travel, as i have a family.

Yeah Q, It probably will be mega expensive right now. But I'm sure that once there is more developments in games and films that are compatible, it'll become cheaper to produce by then. I'm guessing around 2012 by the time it'll be really mainstream though.
Qdeathstar
well, 2012 is the end of the world, so i don't reckon i'd want to invest in something i'd only use for 6mo or less..
The Awesome One
I dont want these TVs. Someone will think that 2D TVs should be shut off, and that will spoil the pleasure of TV. What if you live in a small house? Still QD, at least we will see the olimpics.
DuPz0r
People with partial blindness will be fucked though. They can't see this shit. So they'd have to keep 2D TV's for them at least.
bOnEs
it won't be a crisp image... you know what those 3D holographs look like? a blurry mess to me, that's what... i don't like it... and i don't see any benefits to 3D except for the occasional WOW factor... HDTV is the latest TV upgrade and i think it's good enough for me... maybe one day i'll invest in an SHDTV (super high-def) since that's pry the next move but, i don't see 3DTV working at all... it just doesn't look like a good long term investment... it seems gimmicky... a fad...
DuPz0r
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Jul 24 2009, 05:53 PM) [snapback]1514494[/snapback]
it won't be a crisp image... you know what those 3D holographs look like? a blurry mess to me, that's what... i don't like it... and i don't see any benefits to 3D except for the occasional WOW factor... HDTV is the latest TV upgrade and i think it's good enough for me... maybe one day i'll invest in an SHDTV (super high-def) since that's pry the next move but, i don't see 3DTV working at all... it just doesn't look like a good long term investment... it seems gimmicky... a fad...

The processor in the TV will make the image very crisp. Because it will channel what each eye should see. I just used the hologram card as a basic example.
bOnEs
i still don't see much of a future for it... but then again, that's my opinion... this world seems to always be looking for the next great thing right after they released the next great thing... so who knows, everyone else might like this concept but, i think its garbage quite honestly...

it's the same way i feel about 3D movies... it's become so normal to see 2 or 3 movies in the theaters at a time utilizing this feature that it's worn out its pizazz.. it's become a cheap marketing tool to take more money out of your wallets... this new TV idea has the same feel... your gonna have to not only fork over money for your HD channels but now, if you want them in 3D, your gonna have to pay even more... TV should always be free but sadly, it's not the case anymore...

i just don't see any use for it for me... even in gaming, i don't see a use for it... if we're going that route, why don't they just make virtual reality already?? i'd rather see that than 3DTV... it'd be much better to view shows and games in a totally virtual world where you can see the scenes from any angle you want...

blah, but now i am just ranting and babbling on, getting off topic... sorry...
Marney1
QUOTE(DuPz0r @ Jul 24 2009, 10:24 AM) [snapback]1514444[/snapback]
People with partial blindness will be fucked though. They can't see this shit. So they'd have to keep 2D TV's for them at least.

That's a good point ^ cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.