Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Loud PS3 Fan, help please!!!
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Geek Central
trathen93
Anyway, the fan on my 40gb ps3 has been really loud lately.it generally gets louder after ive switched it on, normally 30 mins after maybe even longer. thought at first that the heat was the problem but its still happening after the tempratures dipped.
Ive got a 320gb HDD in that i fitted and dont know if this is responsible. ive moved it to a more open space and tried to clear the dust off and got a hairdryer on it ( not powerful one) but still nothing.
any suggestions please?
OptimumPx
*moves to Geek*
trathen93
QUOTE(OptimumPx @ Jul 9 2009, 12:05 AM) [snapback]1511885[/snapback]
*moves to Geek*

thanks mate, didnt know if this was the right place for this.
tried to run other games and no change. for some fifa 09 seems to be the worst but for me it doesnt matter
Marney1
I've heard that this is to be done only as a last resort so it's up to you mate.
[youtube]a6X1-vFYpEU&feature=related[/youtube]
Also I think you can only do it on the 40GB.

Some comments about it here.
trathen93
thanks mate. tried it and its its been fine so far. been on it all day and no noise but it can do that sometimes anyway and suddenly go loud
DuPz0r
I heard this is actually a FORCE EJECT button to force out jammed disks in the ps3. Some people think this is to clean it because of the air it pushes out.

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Oo7nfUuFB4
Marney1
QUOTE(DuPz0r @ Jul 10 2009, 03:19 PM) [snapback]1512174[/snapback]
I heard this is actually a FORCE EJECT button to force out jammed disks in the ps3. Some people think this is to clean it because of the air it pushes out.

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Oo7nfUuFB4

Also I don't think it's even mentioned in the booklets which come with the machine so I wouldn't try it myself.
FrankCastle
You could also try a can of compressed air. That will get a lot of gunk out.

If you come across a video that tells me which button magically brings a PS3 back to life, please share :/
DuPz0r
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Jul 11 2009, 11:30 PM) [snapback]1512374[/snapback]

If you come across a video that tells me which button magically brings a PS3 back to life, please share :/

There is a series of buttons called a phone call and a fee... Trust me, i've had three PS3's so far!
Marney1
QUOTE(DuPz0r @ Jul 12 2009, 11:07 AM) [snapback]1512398[/snapback]

There is a series of buttons called a phone call and a fee... Trust me, i've had three PS3's so far!

I've heard an awful lot of complaints about 'broken' PS3's but haven't heard what the actual problems have been or what the most common problem is.
What was wrong with yours DuPz0r? unsure.gif
Ex-PS Fanboy
I don't get it, everyone hates the PS3 because it starts breaking, yet the 360 has had Rrod since day 1.

And When you said loud PS3 fan I assumed you were calling me.
FrankCastle
QUOTE(DuPz0r @ Jul 12 2009, 06:07 AM) [snapback]1512398[/snapback]

I have gone through all that with Sony. Three is my record as well. I refuse to pay $150 for a system that will die in less than a year. I'm not the only one... Sony's own customer support supervisor admitted he wouldn't pay either when I asked him about it.

I'm pretty sure the problem with my PS3 was overheating. I left if on over night and the system shut itself down the following day. From that day on the system would only stay on for a few minutes at a time. Until eventually it wouldn't turn on at all. It's normal for a computer system to shut itself down in order to prevent damage to the CPU. Unfortunately Sony's didn't design their systems to shut down prior to damage. Instead, they brilliantly designed it to shut down after it already has been damaged.
Sharpie Fetish

Fix the thing yourself Frank. You seem pretty handy. Use a few of the tutorials on youtube and while your in there replace any bust caps or anything.
new major on the block
How the hell have some of you gone through 3 ps3s? I would venture to say its abused by yall more than its just a random malfunction. I've never had a problem with mine and i got it 2 months after they came out
FrankCastle
QUOTE(Effy Fetish @ Jul 28 2009, 06:02 PM) [snapback]1515449[/snapback]
Fix the thing yourself Frank. You seem pretty handy. Use a few of the tutorials on youtube and while your in there replace any bust caps or anything.

I tried but I think something on the main board is dead. A replacement board costs almost as much as a new PS3 so it doesn't make sense to buy one.

QUOTE(new major on the block @ Jul 29 2009, 01:07 AM) [snapback]1515522[/snapback]
How the hell have some of you gone through 3 ps3s? I would venture to say its abused by yall more than its just a random malfunction. I've never had a problem with mine and i got it 2 months after they came out

If by abuse you mean leaving it on over night, then yeah i abused it. I wish it was that simple. I wouldn't be boycotting SONY if that was the case.
trathen93
the fan has started to make noises again on my ps3. im thinkin that its cos of the heat in the room. i might go and buy another fan that plugs into the usb port.
whats the best one and does any1 have one .how much louder will it make my ps3?
Marney1
How did you cure it last time?
trathen93
QUOTE(marney1 @ Aug 12 2009, 06:50 PM) [snapback]1517726[/snapback]

i done that fan thing where it clears it out an it was workin brilliantly, until the other night when it decided to go loud at 1am when my brother was asleep in the next room. still finished my game with accrington stanley though.
Marney1
QUOTE(El-Nino @ Aug 13 2009, 01:10 AM) [snapback]1517806[/snapback]

i done that fan thing where it clears it out an it was workin brilliantly, until the other night when it decided to go loud at 1am when my brother was asleep in the next room. still finished my game with accrington stanley though.

Ahh but did you win.
trathen93
QUOTE(marney1 @ Aug 13 2009, 01:49 AM) [snapback]1517810[/snapback]
QUOTE(El-Nino @ Aug 13 2009, 01:10 AM) [snapback]1517806[/snapback]

Ahh but did you win.

I dont like to go off topic,but yes i won. on topic, the thing is still loud. tried the hoover on it and no luck. i might just stump up the money for a USB fan but i ddont know what the noise is like from one of them
FrankCastle
That may not be your best option because it might end up adding more noise to your setup. More fans usually means more noise. Although, you can go to a local retailer and buy one. If it doesn't work out you could return it.

The PS3 can get a little loud but you make it sound as if it is much louder than it should be. Is it an abnormally annoying sound or does it sound like the fan is moving at a faster pace?
trathen93
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Aug 14 2009, 12:51 AM) [snapback]1517920[/snapback]
That may not be your best option because it might end up adding more noise to your setup. More fans usually means more noise. Although, you can go to a local retailer and buy one. If it doesn't work out you could return it.

The PS3 can get a little loud but you make it sound as if it is much louder than it should be. Is it an abnormally annoying sound or does it sound like the fan is moving at a faster pace?

it sounds like a hoover/vacuum and its unbelievable. i cant hear anything on a game when it does it
Marney1
QUOTE(El-Nino @ Aug 14 2009, 02:36 PM) [snapback]1517978[/snapback]
QUOTE(FrankCastle @ Aug 14 2009, 12:51 AM) [snapback]1517920[/snapback]

it sounds like a hoover/vacuum and its unbelievable. i cant hear anything on a game when it does it

Have you tried using a hoover on it?
If you have any pets, especially cats, it could be clogged up.
asthenia
I'm truly blessed to still have my PS3 working. Bought it on second day of release, not a problem since. Left it on overnight multiple times when downloading, pulling all nighters, falling asleep during a movie, etc.. You watch it go and die now.
FrankCastle
ok nino let me lay out the options for you:

Scenario 1- Your PS3 starts up ok but over time gets louder then it's more likely a cooling problem.

Solution 1 - You can try to add aftermarket fans like you suggested. Like I said, if it doesn't help you can return it to your retailer. Just make sure you buy from a retailer with a good return policy.

Solution 2 - If you're in warranty call SONY and see if they're tech support can help you.

Solution 3 - If you are out of warranty and comfortable with dissecting the PS3, then crack it open and clean it up properly. Also, reapply good thermal paste to help keep temperatures down. There are plenty of videos on youtube that shows how to take apart and reassemble the PS3. In fact, I found one that shows me how to fix mine smile.gif

Scenario 2 - If your PS3 is constantly loud from the second you turn it on to the moment you shut it down, then you may have a bad fan bearing.

Solution 1 - If still in warranty call SONY and explain it to them. See if they will fix it for you. The down side to this is that you have to send in your PS3 and you will lose anything on the hard drive. Back up everything!

Solution 2- If out of warranty, buy replacement fan on ebay and reapply some good thermal paste. Again, refer to youtube for instructions.
Sharpie Fetish
Does it void warranty to pull the HD out?
Marney1
It voids the warranty if the sticker is removed from the underside (or left side depending what way you have it standing).
FrankCastle
QUOTE(Effy Fetish @ Aug 15 2009, 07:03 PM) [snapback]1518181[/snapback]
Does it void warranty to pull the HD out?

Removing the hard drive does not void the warranty.

Check out SONY's website they explain how to upgrade your HDD. If you look at the third bullet under NOTES "Upgrading the HDD will not void the warranty, however, the consumer takes full responsibility when upgrading the HDD."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.