Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Serial killer in South Carolina (Killed!!)
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > General Discussion
OptimumPx
This really worries me...mostly because me and my family all live within 10 miles of Gaffney. Everyone in this area is on edge.
QUOTE(CNN)
'Serial killer' claims fifth victim in South Carolina

A 15-year-old South Carolina girl who was shot earlier this week by a man authorities say fits the description of a serial killer has died, police said Saturday.

Abby Tyler died at 11:25 a.m. Saturday at Spartanburg Regional Medical Center, Chief Rick Turner of the Gaffney Police Department told reporters. The Her father, Stephen Tyler, 48, was pronounced dead at the scene of the shooting Thursday in the family-run furniture and appliance store, Tyler Home Center, in Gaffney.

The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office on Friday released a second sketch of a man believed to have fatally shot five people in less than a week.

"Let me say that under the FBI's definition of a serial killer, yes, we have a serial killer," Sheriff Bill Blanton told reporters in Gaffney, a town in the county of about 54,000 residents some 50 miles southwest of Charlotte.

He would not detail what has led investigators to conclude the shootings are linked or how they received the description of the suspect that has led to the two sketches. In addition, he said he did not know whether the shooter knew his victims or whether he may have chosen them at random.

Police said he may be driving a light-gray or champagne tan 1991-1994 two-door Ford Explorer.

The first shooting happened Saturday, when peach farmer Kline W. Cash, 63, was found dead by his wife in their home, said Leigh Caldwell, a victims services coordinator for the sheriff's office.

Blanton said Cash's home may have been robbed.

On Wednesday, the bound and shot bodies of 83-year-old Hazel Linder and her 50-year-old daughter, Gena Linder Parker, were found in the mother's home, where she lived alone.

"We're still trying to determine if anything's missing from there," Blanton said.

Leave has been canceled for all members of the Police Department and the Sheriff's Department, said their respective chiefs, who urged residents to take precautions.

About 100 investigators from North and South Carolina were working the case, Blanton said.

"I think our community has a right to be concerned," he said. "We're concerned. We're dealing with a man that's killed four people."

He urged residents to check on relatives, especially those who live alone. "We're asking the people in our community to be vigilant, to report anything."

But he cautioned against taking that too far. "Our concern is that people are going to start shooting at shadows," he said.
The Awesome One
Its just a serial killer. We are all rapists here.
Marney1
You say everyone is on edge and I don't doubt that for a second, it's not as if the killer is sticking to a set pattern and that is worrying. It reminds me of the Washington snipers where absolutely anybody could have been the next victim.
Hope they catch him soon so you can relax and stop having to worry about your family everyday, this is an evil man indeed.
Massacre
Sure, put it in general so I have to be all serious... I hope nothing happens to you and yours.
asthenia
Oh shit OPX don't die... I need to discuss Fallout 3 DLC with you when it finally releases on PS3. sad.gif
Marney1
I just watched this story on SkyNews over here and people in Gaffney are right to be worried.
Qdeathstar
He killed 5 people in a week. Aids kills 8000 people in a day. Perspective people. Perspective.

That said.. i hope they catch him.
Massacre
QUOTE(Asthenia @ Jul 5 2009, 05:50 AM) [snapback]1511216[/snapback]
Oh shit OPX don't die... I need to discuss Fallout 3 DLC with you when it finally releases on PS3. sad.gif

I'm here for that.
Pieface
You get a gun, shoot him then T-bag him Epicly
PabloHoneyOle
This is some scary shit.

QUOTE(OptimumPx @ Jul 4 2009, 04:34 PM) [snapback]1511130[/snapback]
This really worries me...mostly because me and my family all live within 10 miles of Gaffney. Everyone in this area is on edge.

They don't know who they guy is. It could be you or someone in your family. That's even scarier shit.

You could be posting this story to gloat.

**gets chills**
OptimumPx
Woo! The damn bastards dead! May he burn in hell.
QUOTE(CNN)
Police say suspect in South Carolina serial killings is dead

Investigators believe the serial killer blamed for five deaths in South Carolina died in a shootout with police in neighboring North Carolina on Monday, a South Carolina state police official said.

Tests on the gun found on 41-year-old Patrick Tracy Burris match the weapon used in the killings that have haunted Gaffney, South Carolina, since June 27, said Reggie Lloyd, director of South Carolina's State Law Enforcement Division. The dead suspect and his vehicle appear to match descriptions circulated by investigators in Gaffney, he said.

"We believe a killer is off the streets," Lloyd said.

Burris was killed early Monday morning in Dallas, North Carolina, after police received a call about a possible burglary in progress, officers there said. At a news conference Monday evening, investigators described him as a "habitual felon" with a record in several states who was on probation at the time he was killed.

When police arrived at the home, they found inside two people who lived there and a third who was an acquaintance, said Bill Blanton, the sheriff of Cherokee County, South Carolina. Police checked Burris' background and found there was an outstanding warrant on him from a probation violation from Lincoln County, North Carolina.

When police attempted to serve the warrant, Burris shot at the officers, who returned fired, Blanton said.

One officer was shot in the leg and was treated and released from a hospital, police said.

At a news conference Monday night, Lloyd held up what he said was Burris' 25-page rap sheet, including a lengthy history of armed robberies, forgeries, break-ins and several other charges from several states.

"At some point the criminal justice system is going to have to explain why this individual was out on the streets -- we owe that to the victims," he said.

About 100 investigators from North and South Carolina were working the case, Blanton said. Leaves for all members of the Gaffney Police Department and the Sheriff's Department were canceled, their respective chiefs have said.

The first shooting occurred June 27, when peach farmer Kline W. Cash, 63, was killed. His wife found him dead in their home, the sheriff's office said, and Blanton said the home may have been robbed.

Four days later, the bound and shot bodies of Hazel Linder, 83, and her 50-year-old daughter, Gena Linder Parker, were found in Linder's home, where she lived alone. Blanton said authorities are still trying to determine if anything was taken from that home.

The killer's last victim was 15-year-old Abby Tyler, who was shot last week and died Saturday. Her father Stephen Tyler, 48, had been pronounced dead at the scene of the shooting, in their family-run furniture and appliance store.

Lloyd said investigators had evidence that put Burris at the scene of the killings, but did not know a motive.

"There's no hard evidence as to what connections he had with this community or why he targeted these victims," Lloyd said.

He added that the investigation is ongoing, and that officials are trying to determine what the suspect was up to between the killings and after the last the shooting.

"We don't believe at this point anyone else was involved in the murders, but anything could turn up," he said.
TheAnalogKid2112
They keep saying they "believe". Is it for sure?
OptimumPx
QUOTE(TheAnalogKid2112 @ Jul 7 2009, 01:27 AM) [snapback]1511552[/snapback]
They keep saying they "believe". Is it for sure?

A different news report I read said they found some things that belonged to the first victim, Kline Cash, on Patrick Burris. That and the gun he used while firing on police matched the one used by the killer.

So...it's for sure. happy.gif
TheAnalogKid2112
Good. Take care then. Glad you weren't murdered..
OptimumPx
QUOTE(TheAnalogKid2112 @ Jul 7 2009, 01:51 AM) [snapback]1511556[/snapback]
Good. Take care then. Glad you weren't murdered..

Yes, I do view that as a positive. wink.gif
DuPz0r
I like how serial killers in America always end up going out with a bang. Shoot-out with the cops GTA style!
Mekstizzle
The funniest thing about this was, well basically the BBC sometimes show ABC late at night just to see how shit is across the lake, and they were talking about this guy (btw they were also talking about 10 dead in one night in Chicago, your country is fucking Somalia) but yeah, they were talking about this guy and they went to that small town and everything, and talked to the local police etc..

The reporter asks what do you think the headlines will be tomorrow, and the police is like "Man caught, hopefully"

and I'm like "lol america" and switch the channel

Next thing I hear, the next day, this bitch is shot and killed. That policeman knows his shit! Promote him to the FBI. I was thinking this guy would've at least killed a few more people and raped some more teens before getting nabbed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.