Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GTA4 Multiplayer Is Dying
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > GTA IV > Multiplayer Discussion
Marney1
The last few weeks have been shite, I haven't been able to find a Freemode game with more than 4 or 5 players lately. sad.gif
Ex-PS Fanboy
To my knowledge it was never alive to begin with.
Apocolyptic Diety
It is summer. Either that or people are busy working. The only people I've seen/heard on it now are kids. The multiplayer is just too boring now. Wheres our DLC? Maybe then it would see more life.
FuddMan
Yeah the 360 is the same. There are free mode games running but they're usually either laggy as hell, full of idles or rocket launchers only. And good luck to you if you want to get into any other type of match.
Marney1
At the airport eveyone (all 4 of them) was in helicopters and I was the only one running around trying to shoot them down - I just felt really lonely sad.gif
shabbagaz
I'm not surprised its dying, what with all the bugs and constant disconnection. Think people are just giving up with it and Rockstar's apparent refusal to address these issues.

Shame really as i've always found multiplayer to be a great deal of fun.
Massacre
QUOTE(shabbagaz @ Jun 16 2009, 10:16 AM) [snapback]1508154[/snapback]
I'm not surprised its dying, what with all the bugs and constant disconnection. Think people are just giving up with it and Rockstar's apparent refusal to address these issues.

Does this shit only happen to PS3 owners? I've never had any problems with my connection on 360, maybe it's Sony and not R*?
bOnEs
i got no problems... and i've never had a problem finding a game either... i don't know how often a lot of you still play GTAIV but, there's always people online playing... most free modes i get into have 8-10 people at least... there's always a crowd in the deathmatch/team deathmatch modes... deal breaker is always hopping... and the races are usually between 6-12 racers...

i experience no lag either... i don't know what your all talking about really... GTAIV multiplayer is not dying from what i can tell... in fact, i am surprised at how big it still is, even more than a year after it's release...

i just get this suspicion that none of you play GTAIV as much as i do... so, your arguments are only cited to isolated incidents...
Apocolyptic Diety
QUOTE(Massacre @ Jun 16 2009, 02:00 PM) [snapback]1508168[/snapback]

Does this shit only happen to PS3 owners? I've never had any problems with my connection on 360, maybe it's Sony and not R*?

Its starting to look that way. PS3 owners are always getting shafted when it comes to quality and relibility.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE(SKITTLE TITS @ Jun 17 2009, 01:51 PM) [snapback]1508336[/snapback]
QUOTE(Massacre @ Jun 16 2009, 02:00 PM) [snapback]1508168[/snapback]

Its starting to look that way. PS3 owners are always getting shafted when it comes to quality and relibility.

Rrod...
DuPz0r
Well nvm, hopefully the next gta will be out in the next two years. We'll have to expect a lot more from the next installment, considering there wasn't much to do in IV as there even was in past GTA's .

I might get IV on PC because there is a lot of mods starting to come out at the moment.
DiO
QUOTE(Massacre @ Jun 16 2009, 12:30 PM) [snapback]1508168[/snapback]

Mine runs fine. Don't forget this game is out on PC too. Maybe hes playing on PC. I know for a fact the PC version is buggy.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Jun 19 2009, 02:44 AM) [snapback]1508572[/snapback]

Mine runs fine. Don't forget this game is out on PC too. Maybe hes playing on PC. I know for a fact the PC version is buggy.

No he's on PS3. It's usually just connection. Wireless isn't as reliable as a Wired Connection.
Marney1
QUOTE(PS-Fanboy @ Jun 19 2009, 02:23 PM) [snapback]1508611[/snapback]
QUOTE(Destruction-Overdrive @ Jun 19 2009, 02:44 AM) [snapback]1508572[/snapback]

No he's on PS3. It's usually just connection. Wireless isn't as reliable as a Wired Connection.

My PS3 is wired but I doubt it would be worse wireless. If it did get any worse I'd throw it in the bin.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE(marney1 @ Jun 19 2009, 01:25 PM) [snapback]1508613[/snapback]
QUOTE(PS-Fanboy @ Jun 19 2009, 02:23 PM) [snapback]1508611[/snapback]

My PS3 is wired but I doubt it would be worse wireless.

Like I said it all depends on your connection. With wireless the connection speed changes depending on the signal strength. So sometime's it's laggy sometimes not.
Marney1
It hasn't been that bad lately but I think that may be down to fewer people playing.

I had a game before (for quite a few hours) and there were about 7 players on with friendly fire off and I noticed they were all in RS's so I decided to make it fun for myself and destroy their cars.
They just wouldn't give in and kept flying off to collect another from all the way across the other side of the map then each time they were about to enter the airport gates I'd blast them again. They could have just kicked me but they kept on wasting their time and doing it all over.

I'm a cunt I know but it was the most fun I've had on it for ages. tongue.gif
shabbagaz
QUOTE(Massacre @ Jun 16 2009, 05:30 PM) [snapback]1508168[/snapback]

Maybe so. Perhpas I was a little harsh on Rockstar. Seems us PS3 owners are getting shafted.

With regards to the type of connection as briefly mentioned by others, I have a wireless connection. People say it isn't as reliable as a wired connection, signal strength etc, but it doesn't explain why I always have problems with GTA 4 but not any other game (Fifa 09, Little Big Planet, Unreal Tournament for example or even Playstation Home).

Like I say, its a real shame with the connection problems as mulitplayer is a great deal of fun.
bOnEs
am i the only PS3 user NOT having problems? huh.gif...
Marney1
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Jun 24 2009, 11:02 PM) [snapback]1509197[/snapback]

You must have at least experienced serious lag or seen half the players simultaniously leave the game at some time bOnEs.
bOnEs
every once in a blue moon i see everyone leave a game... as for lag, nothing more than the occasional hiccup...
Marney1
Like I said further up though - it's been ok lately but I reckon it's down to fewer people playing these days.
Ex-PS Fanboy
Mine's really bad at night, and that's when I usually play online.
LoonaTyk1
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Jun 16 2009, 12:31 PM) [snapback]1508173[/snapback]
i got no problems... and i've never had a problem finding a game either... i don't know how often a lot of you still play GTAIV but, there's always people online playing... most free modes i get into have 8-10 people at least... there's always a crowd in the deathmatch/team deathmatch modes... deal breaker is always hopping... and the races are usually between 6-12 racers...

i experience no lag either... i don't know what your all talking about really... GTAIV multiplayer is not dying from what i can tell... in fact, i am surprised at how big it still is, even more than a year after it's release...

i just get this suspicion that none of you play GTAIV as much as i do... so, your arguments are only cited to isolated incidents...

i'm with bones on this one . i never have trouble finding people online playing. theres always the occasional idiot who thinks its more fun to fly around in a heli at the airport than actually fight but i'm always able to get into some pretty crowded matches. i dont know about lag. i have only one choice for internet service where i'm at and they suck , thats the only thing that ever kicks me out of a game and online altogether. still lots of people out there playin..
shabbagaz

Seems that way! wink.gif

One thing i've just thought of, perhaps its largely UK-based PS3 gamers that are experiencing these issues?
Marney1
QUOTE(shabbagaz @ Jun 25 2009, 09:51 PM) [snapback]1509289[/snapback]

Seems that way! wink.gif

One thing i've just thought of, perhaps its largely UK-based PS3 gamers that are experiencing these issues?

Maybe, but what would the reason be?
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE(marney1 @ Jun 25 2009, 08:54 PM) [snapback]1509290[/snapback]
QUOTE(shabbagaz @ Jun 25 2009, 09:51 PM) [snapback]1509289[/snapback]

Seems that way! wink.gif

Maybe, but what would the reason be?

UK sucks...
Kamahl
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Jun 24 2009, 05:02 PM) [snapback]1509197[/snapback]
am i the only PS3 user NOT having problems? :huh:...

nope, i never had problems either... to be honest, i only played GTA 4 online a few times, not even 10 hours probably... and thats why im like level 3 or something.

I dont play it but its not because of bugs, lag or anything else, i just dont like the way it works... it can take too long to start a game, or when you end, the host decides to change all the settings...

I always thought it needed a server list and you just selected the server you wanted to join (kinda like counter-strike for example, or killzone 2) that way its easy to find games and there will always be games with at least 15 other people if thats how you wanna play.
bOnEs
yea, i never liked the whole throw you into a random game... and if you don't like the settings, you have to go all the way back to the single player mode and relaunch the multiplayer game again... it's tedious and that part completely sucks... that's why i usually host the game myself, to avoid all that loading...

but, i hate being the host with a level 9 silver star... i tend to get targeted more often biggrin.gif...
Kamahl
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Jun 26 2009, 09:55 AM) [snapback]1509476[/snapback]
yea, i never liked the whole throw you into a random game... and if you don't like the settings, you have to go all the way back to the single player mode and relaunch the multiplayer game again... it's tedious and that part completely sucks... that's why i usually host the game myself, to avoid all that loading...

but, i hate being the host with a level 9 silver star... i tend to get targeted more often :D...

Its not late to release a patch to fix the online mode but R* have been extremely lazy with the online support so i doubt they are gonna do anything. All they seem to care about is their add-ons.
DuPz0r
I just hope they are spending loads of time on the next GTA, because of the neglect they have given IV online.
HB~Sauce
QUOTE(DuPz0r @ Jul 11 2009, 04:09 PM) [snapback]1512371[/snapback]
I just hope they are spending loads of time on the next GTA, because of the neglect they have given IV online.

Agreed. It's not like the multiplayer is broken or you can't enjoy it, it's just that the set up is very inefficient to go through compared to other games like Call of Duty or Burnout Paradise. If it wasn't for the online trophies I wouldn't spend as much time playing online as I am now.

P.S. If anyone does wanna play online GTA or other games, just add my PSN.
Vastet
If R* would EVER get off their collective ***** and actually FIX (shocking thought!) the multitude of problems (no online game on the PS3 has a fraction of the bugs of GTA4), the thousands who abandoned GTA might return. Some of them at least. By not doing anything in over a year, I seriously begin to wonder if I should waste my money on their next game. Millions more agree. It is a sad day when EA provides better quality product and support than R*. And that day has been here for more than a year now.
Yet, while most have abandoned and a great many others won't buy because they heard of all the bugs, there is still activity 24/7. It's just nothing compared to what it used to be or could be.
Marney1
I sent them an email a while back detailing 'everything' about the problem and all I got back was a reply asking for details of the problem. Complete waste of time.
ConQueSteD
QUOTE(Vastet @ Jul 23 2009, 10:33 AM) [snapback]1514275[/snapback]
If R* would EVER get off their collective ***** and actually FIX (shocking thought!) the multitude of problems (no online game on the PS3 has a fraction of the bugs of GTA4), the thousands who abandoned GTA might return. Some of them at least. By not doing anything in over a year, I seriously begin to wonder if I should waste my money on their next game. Millions more agree. It is a sad day when EA provides better quality product and support than R*. And that day has been here for more than a year now.
Yet, while most have abandoned and a great many others won't buy because they heard of all the bugs, there is still activity 24/7. It's just nothing compared to what it used to be or could be.

obviously you haven't played Socom: Confrontation, that was a half assed game Produced by SlantSux.
Oh Shit its Pastry Friday.

I haven't Experienced Anybugs In GTA since the First Patch, so idk what your talking about.
Vastet
Before I start I'll mention I have to split my response due to character limit on this system.
No, I haven't played SOCOM, so maybe it's worse. But lets lay out some of the problems, and how they compound into others in GTA4.
1: 'Ghosts', as I call them, for lack of a better term. Occasionally, regardless of what game type you're playing, two people will not have connected with each other properly, and are inable to see each other or interact with each other. When one gets a kill, the victim will simply show up as having died on their own to the other player. This results in a confused server at the end, with the potential for three different recorded winners at the end being reported by various machines.
2: Clipping problems. There are far too many places to go into walls and be invulnerable to people who don't know any better. In a few cases even if they do know better, the only effective strategy is to stay away from them, as attempting to use the same trick will just get you killed.

3: I could have kept going on with in game problems, but most others aren't annoying enough to mention. Instead, I'll go straight to the biggest problem of all: The servers. They deserve a list unto themselves. It's even likely that problem 1 is directly linked to server bugginess, though in depth searching reveals it could be linked to your router settings as it is with BDB2, coupled with server bugginess.
Anyway, the servers have perhaps a 10% chance of not recording the end results and adding your earned money and victory to the archive. If you haven't noticed it happen, then you don't pay enough attention. It's easy to miss it. The chance of failure to properly record stats increases significantly for some (not all) when people join or quit after the round has started. This increase is also related to the BDB2 problem.
As a side note, all of these problems are PS3 exclusive as far as I'm aware, but R*'s fault for crappy hosting and coding.

3b: There is perhaps a 1% chance of the servers failing to properly connect you with your profile when going into multiplayer when starting the game, losing all your money. It requires quitting the game at least, sometimes logging out of PSN too, before the error will be resolved and your level returns.
3c: BDB2. Anyone who has played this more than a few times has been kicked to 1p. Usually when flying the chopper in, but it can happen all the way until the second bomb is placed. R* actually did make a half hearted attempt to resolve this, so much info is available if you look into it. Long story short, if someone quits or joins after the game has started, there's a 99% chance everyone will get kicked before being able to finish the mission. If noone joins/quits, you have a 50/50 chance of being kicked to 1p.

3d: AWP, Fly the CO-OP, Top of the Midnight Club, and Taking it for the team are all exceptionally buggy trophies. A very few have no problem with them, but the net is rife with people who've been denied despite fulfilling the requirements. I speak also from personal experience. A week after fulfilling the reqs for Midnight Club, I got the trophy after coming in third in a deathmatch. 3 months after fulfilling the reqs for Taking it for the Team and Fly the CO-OP, I got both of them while Noosing(I did it in 5 mins when I got CO-OP, go figure). I still haven't got AWP, and I should have got it months ago. Online and in game, I have a minimum of 3 wins in every game type. You can check for yourself. But no AWP trophy.
3e: GTA4 came out when the PSN friend limit was 50. Now it is 100, but GTA4 doesn't know that, so only 50 of your friends will show up as invitable. I haven't figured out how it chooses which 50, it seems random.
These problems and a few more should have been fixed last year.
GTA ShutDown
Just go in with friends and lots of people follow biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.