Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Halo's Effects on the US Army
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > General Discussion
PabloHoneyOle

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05232009/posto...ture_170680.htm

"It's the year 2030. As a soldier enters a crowded marketplace, sensors mounted on his helmet automatically scan faces in the crowd, identifying a known insurgent; a cursor in the heads-up display highlights the target and cues the weapon, which can be set to stun or kill; a simple voice command unlocks the trigger.

Aided by "smart drugs," enhanced with prosthetics, and protected by a lightweight suit of armor, this soldier of the future possesses near super-human capabilities and weapons that would make even Iron Man jealous. He's suited up in an "exoskeleton" - essentially a Storm Trooper-esque external shell - that allows him to carry heavy loads. Electronics integrated in his outfit allow for simultaneous language translation, automatic identification of potential foes, and video-game-like targeting. If the soldier is tired, overworked, or injured, neural and physiological sensors automatically send an alert to headquarters."

This made me LOL. Not necessarily the idea, but the graphic is GOD AWFUL.
Apparently, the US Army does not attract many graphic designers.

Anyway, onto the suit... do you think more people would be willing to join the Army for an opportunity to run around in one of these Master Chief knockoffs?
TwoFacedTanner
I sure as fuck would.
I'd be down with that! But I'll be 42 years old then.
FUCK! Kids always get the coolest shit.

My son will be joining the Army if thats how its going to be.
Ex-PS Fanboy
pfft... this shit made me laugh hard. I honestly can't see this happening. but If it does. Sure I'll join.

*Counts years till then*

Can i still join at 35?
TwoFacedTanner
Well apparently...you can join up to 42 years old now....
Holy shit.
Marney1
It seems laughable but you never know what the future of technology will bring, this gear seems more likely than a gun with a cyclic rate of 1million rounds per minute though - oh hang on that already exists - see what I mean?
The Awesome One
At least they arent dressing up as thunderbirds.
bOnEs
GAAAH!! fuck that's ugly... hopefully it's painted in desert or woodland camo because, that looks too silly...
Massacre
He's got a Pip-Boy...
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Massacre @ May 26 2009, 02:33 PM) [snapback]1504580[/snapback]
He's got a Pip-Boy...

That's the 1000 model...
Darth Sexy
Apparently spandex and plastic constitutes a super-human suit of armour.
The Awesome One
If thats what the US army have came up with, imagine what health-and-safety-land (england) have come up with....
Qdeathstar
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ May 26 2009, 02:44 PM) [snapback]1504525[/snapback]

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05232009/posto...ture_170680.htm

"It's the year 2030. As a soldier enters a crowded marketplace, sensors mounted on his helmet automatically scan faces in the crowd, identifying a known insurgent; a cursor in the heads-up display highlights the target and cues the weapon, which can be set to stun or kill; a simple voice command unlocks the trigger.

Aided by "smart drugs," enhanced with prosthetics, and protected by a lightweight suit of armor, this soldier of the future possesses near super-human capabilities and weapons that would make even Iron Man jealous. He's suited up in an "exoskeleton" - essentially a Storm Trooper-esque external shell - that allows him to carry heavy loads. Electronics integrated in his outfit allow for simultaneous language translation, automatic identification of potential foes, and video-game-like targeting. If the soldier is tired, overworked, or injured, neural and physiological sensors automatically send an alert to headquarters."

This made me LOL. Not necessarily the idea, but the graphic is GOD AWFUL.
Apparently, the US Army does not attract many graphic designers.

Anyway, onto the suit... do you think more people would be willing to join the Army for an opportunity to run around in one of these Master Chief knockoffs?

Awe cool, this is gonna make every kid want to be an army dude!

I thought there were trying to de-man the front line w/ drones?

Aided by "smart drugs,"

Didn't they already try smart drugs? LSD?

STEROIDS FTW!
The Awesome One

Maybe the idea behind it is to get every kid to want to join the army.
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
QUOTE(marney1 @ May 26 2009, 05:47 PM) [snapback]1504556[/snapback]
It seems laughable but you never know what the future of technology will bring, this gear seems more likely than a gun with a cyclic rate of 1million rounds per minute though - oh hang on that already exists - see what I mean?
Well, a lot of the technology seen here goes beyond anything medicine, linguistics, biometrics and biomechanics could hope to reliably achieve. Brute force it ain't.

QUOTE(therealcbc @ May 27 2009, 08:54 AM) [snapback]1504717[/snapback]
If thats what the US army have came up with, imagine what health-and-safety-land (england) have come up with....
England has its own army? My my.
Mekstizzle
QUOTE(Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester @ Jun 3 2009, 02:22 AM) [snapback]1506382[/snapback]
Well, a lot of the technology seen here goes beyond anything medicine, linguistics, biometrics and biomechanics could hope to reliably achieve. Brute force it ain't.

By 2030 you never know. This Union's gettin old anyways
The Awesome One
QUOTE(Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester @ Jun 3 2009, 03:22 AM) [snapback]1506382[/snapback]

We always have to save your ass, remember?
ViceMan
QUOTE(therealcbc @ Jun 4 2009, 08:25 PM) [snapback]1506666[/snapback]
QUOTE(Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester @ Jun 3 2009, 03:22 AM) [snapback]1506382[/snapback]

Firstly, you're as bad as the fucking Yanks yourself, it's arse not ass.

Secondly, I believe it's generally regarded in WWII that they saved our arse.
The Awesome One
QUOTE(ViceMan @ Jun 4 2009, 09:48 PM) [snapback]1506684[/snapback]

Firstly, you're as bad as the fucking Yanks yourself, it's arse not ass.

Secondly, I believe it's generally regarded in WWII that they saved our arse.

I was joking! I sadly have history engraved in my brain.....
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester

Good call lad, I'm Scottish.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.