Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Model Trains
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > General Discussion
trathen93
I wanted to start this topic after being informed by my friend that he's gone and spent near 1000 takin over his loft ang setting up a big model train set. at first the idea semmed gay(no other way to describe it) but after playin with them for a bit they seem really good. I know it may sound sad but they are class. especially the crashes. ill get some pics soon.
discuss if you want
TreeFitty
I would think a topic like this in a GTA forum would get many "LoL FAgZ!" replies but after the model annihilator thread it may not.

I still got a small table layout in my basement I haven't touched in 10 years. Its got boxes and other crap on top of it but it's there.
Marney1
I was in a model shop recently - you'll know the one trathen I think it used to be 'Beeties'- and I noticed some of the prices on the trains. If your mate has spent 1,000 on his set then that may well just be the beginning of a very expensive hobby.
That aside I do like the detail some people put into things like that.
PabloHoneyOle
I used to do Model Train Graffiti; like the same shit you see on real trains, just smaller scale. I sold a bunch on eBay; most ran atleast $50 more than the actual cost of the train car. My dad has a couple of my cars on his old train set. I'll try and get pictures next time I visit my parents.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE(TreeFitty @ Apr 29 2009, 11:42 PM) [snapback]1499550[/snapback]
"LoL FAgZ!"

trathen93
just like to say that ive made a trip to hattons in liverpool and bought myself some trains. got a 8ft by 4ft board to put the track on. spent about 350 and got my eyes on more trains. lol some pics to come
Marney1
QUOTE(trathen @ Apr 30 2009, 09:25 PM) [snapback]1499682[/snapback]
just like to say that ive made a trip to hattons in liverpool and bought myself some trains. got a 8ft by 4ft board to put the track on. spent about 350 and got my eyes on more trains. lol some pics to come

You've really caught the bug for this haven't you? First you thought it was a bit gay and now it seems you're addicted lol.
Where's Hattons anyway? smile.gif
trathen93
QUOTE(marney1 @ Apr 30 2009, 09:38 PM) [snapback]1499686[/snapback]
QUOTE(trathen @ Apr 30 2009, 09:25 PM) [snapback]1499682[/snapback]

You've really caught the bug for this haven't you? First you thought it was a bit gay and now it seems you're addicted lol.
Where's Hattons anyway? smile.gif

its on smithdown road, i didnt really notice it before last week. ive just been itchin to get down there. glad i made the visit been tryin to make a good layout all night.
Pieface
Bought a set, saw it go around in a circle for a bit, got bored, put it away and sold it for the same price I bought it for.

If I had some money to buy a proper kit it may have been more fun, but watching it do the same thing for a while becomes boring.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Pieface @ Apr 30 2009, 06:42 PM) [snapback]1499698[/snapback]
Bought a set, saw it go around in a circle for a bit, got bored, put it away and sold it for the same price I bought it for.

If I had some money to buy a proper kit it may have been more fun, but watching it do the same thing for a while becomes boring.

I thought one of the big draws to model trains was creating the landscape as well as the trains. No model train set is complete without:
1) A tunnel - if you don't have a tunnel, GTFO.
2) A train station - even if you never stop there (or stop at every passing), you have to have a train station.
3) Little people - and they have to be to scale. No giants or action figures. Ok, action figures are alright if they're used in a comical fashion. Lego men are always acceptable.
4) Little trees - you can get little fake oranges to sprinkle in them too.

My friend's dad would build a new model train setup every year in their extra living room; working tediously all year to create a new landscape; display it in his house from Thanksgiving through the New Year. Neighbors would always come over just to see his trains and show it to their moron kids. Then someone told the local paper, he had people and their moron kids coming from 20 miles away to see his extravagant model train themed setup.

Then he'd essentially scrap the whole thing; sell off buildings, trains, etc. or trade them in for his next themed train masterpiece. Fucking dedication. And he's an asshole about it. No one touches the trains but him.
Pieface
I did have a Station, little people, tree's but no tunnel.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Pieface @ May 1 2009, 08:57 AM) [snapback]1499781[/snapback]
I did have a Station, little people, tree's but no tunnel.

There in lies the issue. If you had the tunnel, who knows what might have been.
Pieface
Dammit, I will never know.

Infact I still have the station in my garage. lawl. And something else, think it is a house.
trathen93
QUOTE(Pieface @ May 3 2009, 11:03 PM) [snapback]1500126[/snapback]
Dammit, I will never know.

Infact I still have the station in my garage. lawl. And something else, think it is a house.

lol, ive gt a station now, completes it. laugh.gif .picked it up for 4 at a car boot sale at the weekend, got some stuff missin but when its meant to be 30 who can argue.
might get some houses and trees if I ever finish the layout, not touched it much, need the board sortin. pretty poor at diy laugh.gif
Pieface
Yeah I had great ideas which just flew out the window.
The Awesome One
Model Trains, they go round an round......
and are for lonely people. (probably. damn marketing)
trathen93
i wouldnt say theyre for lonely people. theyre just a way to use your spare time doin somethin different. i thinks its decent. if i didnt have these the money would be goin on the ps3
Massacre
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ May 1 2009, 08:53 AM) [snapback]1499780[/snapback]
Lego men are always acceptable.

Yes, even if we're not talking about trains.

QUOTE(trathen @ May 6 2009, 07:15 PM) [snapback]1500520[/snapback]
lol, ive gt a station now, completes it. laugh.gif .picked it up for 4 at a car boot sale at the weekend, got some stuff missin but when its meant to be 30 who can argue.
might get some houses and trees if I ever finish the layout, not touched it much, need the board sortin. pretty poor at diy laugh.gif

Car boot sale? They can do that? If you're selling shit out of the trunk of your car around here, the cops start harassing you. Or arresting you, if you're black...

Kind of on-topic, I buy and customize action figures (working on a Niko right now), but they don't turn out too well, because I don't really know what to do paint-wise. I don't know how to paint on some of the crucial details, as I can't find brushes fine enough to paint faces or other small areas.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Massacre @ May 21 2009, 09:58 PM) [snapback]1503591[/snapback]
Kind of on-topic, I buy and customize action figures (working on a Niko right now), but they don't turn out too well, because I don't really know what to do paint-wise. I don't know how to paint on some of the crucial details, as I can't find brushes fine enough to paint faces or other small areas.

You should employ Tom Thumb to do your detail work.

I feel you. I'm into customized Vinyl and run into the same issues. I've strayed away extensive detail.
Pieface
QUOTE(Massacre @ May 22 2009, 02:58 AM) [snapback]1503591[/snapback]

Car boot sale? They can do that? If you're selling shit out of the trunk of your car around here, the cops start harassing you. Or arresting you, if you're black...

It's a term for a large like meeting of people just selling there old rubbish to someone who wants it. It's not a guy going around saying he's got a case of iPods on the cheap.
Mekstizzle
You're all insane
TreeFitty
QUOTE(Pieface @ May 22 2009, 09:08 AM) [snapback]1503648[/snapback]
QUOTE(Massacre @ May 22 2009, 02:58 AM) [snapback]1503591[/snapback]

It's a term for a large like meeting of people just selling there old rubbish to someone who wants it. It's not a guy going around saying he's got a case of iPods on the cheap.

"flea market" in American terms.
trathen93
cant believe how long its been since anyone has posted in here. anyway some train news.

finished the layout, spent about 300 on track , 50 on the base board and roughly 40 on scenery =390 (ish). had some fun and then sold it lol. seen prices on ebay for layouts and had to. sold for 650 in the end. i wish i had pics of it but didnt take any.

but, ive gone and got more track and decided to build a better 1. pics of it so far below, sort of turned into a general dumping ground lately, not had much spare time. its just there in the gaming room. not everyones happy with the space it takes.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.