Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: St.Georges Day Today
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > General Discussion
Marney1
We celebrate St.Patricks Day on 17th March and fly the Irish tricolor but we don't celebrate St.Georges Day near as much.
Try flying your Union flag or England flag in the street and your local council tell you to take it down so as not to offend any immigrants or muslims.
I say fuck 'em.
TwoFacedTanner
The Union flag? This thing?

I never think of Great Britain without thinking of that flag...what do they have to do with immigrants and muslims?
Massacre
Patriotism is offensive to foreigners. Like marney said, fuck 'em.
Marney1
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Apr 23 2009, 03:52 AM) [snapback]1497998[/snapback]
The Union flag? This thing?

I never think of Great Britain without thinking of that flag...what do they have to do with immigrants and muslims?

Thats my point, if a Pakistani waves his flag in my face in my own street (not that its likely where I live) and I tell him to put it away - I would be dragged off to the nearest police station and charged with race hate or some shit.

I've heard you can fly any nations flag in the US as long as you fly the stars and stripes alongside it, is this true?
I know here you can fly whatever you like as long as its not an England or British flag.
Heartless
Under it. The American Flag is always dominate, and it's legal to tear down a flag that is threatening American sovereignty, and the person responsible for placing a flag above the American one can find himself in jail, fined or both.

Back in the day, there was a meeting of nations in England, and the Queen placed the American on the end. Well, as she passed and reviewed all the nations flag-bearers, they would dip their flags to the ground in fealty. Well, when she came to the American Ensign, he refused. When she asked why, he was quoted as saying, "My nation bows to no earthly Queen." A legend is born.
Marney1
QUOTE(Marneyless @ Apr 23 2009, 06:50 AM) [snapback]1498062[/snapback]
Under it. The American Flag is always dominate, and it's legal to tear down a flag that is threatening American sovereignty, and the person responsible for placing a flag above the American one can find himself in jail, fined or both.

Back in the day, there was a meeting of nations in England, and the Queen placed the American on the end. Well, as she passed and reviewed all the nations flag-bearers, they would dip their flags to the ground in fealty. Well, when she came to the American Ensign, he refused. When she asked why, he was quoted as saying, "My nation bows to no earthly Queen." A legend is born.

Thanks for the short story, twas interesting. smile.gif
Heartless
Wikipedia cleans up the details:

The United States Flag Code outlines certain guidelines for the use, display, and disposal of the flag. For example, the flag should never be dipped to any person or thing, unless it is the ensign responding to a salute from a ship of a foreign nation. (This tradition may come from the 1908 Summer Olympics in London, where countries were asked to dip their flag to King Edward VII: the American flag bearer did not. Team captain Martin Sheridan is famously quoted as saying "this flag dips to no earthly king"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_States
Full Metal Monkey
Im off to a party in a pub which my dads friend owns later tonight and i brought a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt especially for the occasion which has the Union Jack badge on the front with England written on the back.

This is the shirt only the one which i have the collar is just pure white instead of with Red and Blue.

Marney1
Well, while I was out doing a job today I heard the local radio reporting that British flags were being taken down by council officials due to 'health and safety' concerns.
Worst of all it was reported that a local soldier returning from Iraq was told to take down his welcome home banner which bore a British flag. This was just in Liverpool in the space of 10 minutes so I don't know about the rest of the country but if I find any news articles on it I'll surely post them.
What is wrong with celebrating just one day of your national pride?
Pieface
QUOTE(marney1 @ Apr 23 2009, 06:42 PM) [snapback]1498134[/snapback]
Well, while I was out doing a job today I heard the local radio reporting that British flags were being taken down by council officials due to 'health and safety' concerns.
Worst of all it was reported that a local soldier returning from Iraq was told to take down his welcome home banner which bore a British flag. This was just in Liverpool in the space of 10 minutes so I don't know about the rest of the country but if I find any news articles on it I'll surely post them.

Because with the current Government in office, and the state the country is in, we have nothing to pride ourselves on.
Marney1
QUOTE(Pieface @ Apr 23 2009, 06:58 PM) [snapback]1498140[/snapback]
QUOTE(marney1 @ Apr 23 2009, 06:42 PM) [snapback]1498134[/snapback]

Because with the current Government in office, and the state the country is in, we have nothing to pride ourselves on.

Correcto mundo Pieface, what do we have to gain? Or rather what else do we have to lose?
Un-Amurikan Bastage
St. George's Day? Anybody kill any Catholics?
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
St George has nothing to do with England, and everything to do with the crusades. I think that might have something to do with this.
Mekstizzle
Yeah, unlike St.Patricks I'd say most of the populace view St.George's day as mainly a religious thing than a national thing. And Christianity as a whole is in a complete freefall for various reasons and so most people just don't really care.

Anyway most of these holidays weren't Christian in the beginning, they just hijacked shit from the indigenous European religions so that it made it easier to convert Europe to Christianity. I mean do you really think all that Santa Claus and Easter Bunny and Christmas Tree etc.. comes from the land of Palestine/Israel and those Middle Eastern Jewrab areas? Hell no nigga

But let's not get into one of those rants......at the end of the day, what's happened has happened and it is what it is, the main culprit as to why St.Georges day is such a non-event in the modern persons calendar is there's nothing to associate it with. The Hallmark and big commercial companies missed out on cashing in on this day, they managed to convert St.Paddy's day into a giant drink fest but they let St.Georges day on its own, thus nobody cares, it's the sad truth
Marney1
Gordon Brown did speak of introducing a 'British Day' which seems to have been put on hold for some reason.
Why not just make 'British Day' 23rd April? That would be sensible IMO.
Pieface
QUOTE(marney1 @ Apr 27 2009, 05:47 PM) [snapback]1498958[/snapback]
Gordon Brown did speak of introducing a 'British Day' which seems to have been put on hold for some reason.

Would be more sensible if it was the 25th April every month IMO >_>
Marney1
QUOTE(Pieface @ Apr 27 2009, 05:59 PM) [snapback]1498961[/snapback]
QUOTE(marney1 @ Apr 27 2009, 05:47 PM) [snapback]1498958[/snapback]

Would be more sensible if it was the 25th April every month IMO >_>

Don't be soft thats a crap day, has been for about 18 years now.
Mekstizzle
The fact that this country has no real proper historical dates to really celebrate on says everything though, otherwise you wouldn't need to create an artificial "British day" just for the sake of it, alot of countries have their independence days, even the USA, or days to celebrate a revolution or civil war, but the fact is, this country has had it so good for such a long time that there is nothing to mark on the calender. It's just one of those things that makes this country Unique from most of the world, tbh, it doesn't need a special day, there would be one if there was a specific day to mark but there isn't, surely that in itself is something to celebrate lulz
Marney1
I suppose you're right but all we are asking really is the freedom to fly our own flag when and where we please.
At this moment in time we don't seem to have that right.
Mekstizzle
Personally I think all those stories are bullshit and people exaggerate things, there's quite a few people here who have big English or Union Jack flags flying around which have been there for as long as I can remember, and nobody complains
DiO
Whether the day has anything to do with British pride or not. I think its pretty gay you can't even put up a fucking flag.
Marney1
QUOTE(The Marnstizzle @ Apr 27 2009, 11:04 PM) [snapback]1499026[/snapback]
Personally I think all those stories are bullshit and people exaggerate things, there's quite a few people here who have big English or Union Jack flags flying around which have been there for as long as I can remember, and nobody complains

I wish it was exagerrated but last week council workers were sent to take down the flags in parts of Liverpool and a local soldier returning from Iraq was told to take his 'Welcome Home' flag down.

The councils official explanation for this was 'Health and Safety'.
TheAnalogKid2112
I know a guy named George.
Marney1
QUOTE(TheAnalogKid2112 @ Apr 28 2009, 01:30 AM) [snapback]1499075[/snapback]
I got butt fucked by Boy George.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.