Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chinatown Wars Sales a 'disappointment'
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > Important Information > Site News
Pieface
According to gamesindustry.biz there was estimates of up to 2 Million copies being sold in the US, but that has been slashed down to 500,000 due to the poor sales it has been getting. This is also a shock since the recent release of the new Nintendo DSi and GTA Chinatown Wars coinciding, so does the market for the DS not have space for GTA?

"Despite a strong critical reception, Take-Two's GTA: Chinatown Wars sold a very disappointing 89,000 units in March, well below our more recent 200-250,000 estimate and far below the 400-450,000 we thought the title might sell upon its release," wrote Doug Creutz.

Does this show us then that the DS is not the way forward for the GTA Franchise?

Source: gamesindustry.biz
Indy
I really wanna get this game but haven't had the time. tbh I think DS owners just aren't the same as the GTA crowd.
PabloHoneyOle
Don't they know we're in a recession?

Two years ago, I might have picked this up on the credit card (with a new DSi); but times have changed.
Mekstizzle
Not surprised. People who buy things like the DS and Wii......well, they're not exactly GTA people.

They're a bunch of fags

If I had a DS (more like, if my sister bought a DS) - I'd get this game, it looks pretty good and the hotwiring minigames look fun
bOnEs
duh, there's not a huge "mature" market to sell to on the DS... most of the DS owners are kids and, it appears that most of these kids have good parents who aren't buying their little timmy a violent video game...

now, this game may be critically acclaimed, and looks like a lot of fun to play but, that doesn't mean parents will run out and buy their kids a drug selling simulator... this game has found its target audience, it just so happens that market is relatively smaller than they hoped...

i don't think this should make them consider never making another game for the DS though... this is still a great place to take the GTA series but, they're gonna have to wait a couple more years on sales before their market expands to these very kids getting older and more "mature"...
Ex-PS Fanboy
I personally think there just aren't enough people who play DS.
Massacre
Agreed. I own a DS and don't play...
bobs99
to be fair the average ds owner wouldnt be a gta fan and the average gta fan probably wouldnt be a ds owner!

of course theres some overlap, but in the case of overlap some gta fans probably wouldnt want to go back to a technically inferior gta

a good example would be gta on a wii, the average wii owner probably wouldnt want gta (other to see what the hype is about) and the average gta fan wouldnt want gta on a wii (feature wise it wouldnt be great) hell i would imagine there are a lot of people who like gta style games that wouldnt want a wii not out of the fact the wii isnt technically a good console, but because the wii doesnt tend to have many action games

either way im not suprised at the new's, but i dont think its down to gta chinatown wars being a bad game (i havent played it so i wouldnt know)
TwoFacedTanner
QUOTE(bOnEs @ Apr 17 2009, 09:44 AM) [snapback]1496507[/snapback]
i don't think this should make them consider never making another game for the DS though... this is still a great place to take the GTA series but, they're gonna have to wait a couple more years on sales before their market expands to these very kids getting older and more "mature"...

Noooo, they should not make any more DS games.
When that crowd grows up in a few years, they'll stop playing with their handheld nentindos. Why?
Nintendo markets most of their stuff for kids. Its pretty smart since there is a fresh supply of kids comin round every year,
Pieface
QUOTE(Stoic Marney Eater @ Apr 17 2009, 02:50 PM) [snapback]1496496[/snapback]
Don't they know we're in a recession?

The computer games market is one of the few markets to do well during the recession. So that's not the reason.
alooper21
QUOTE(bobs99 @ Apr 17 2009, 08:00 PM) [snapback]1496576[/snapback]
of course theres some overlap, but in the case of overlap some gta fans probably wouldnt want to go back to a technically inferior gta

and when it comes about the overlap you speak about, well, gtacw runs like a charm on an emulator. so whoever doesn't feel atracted by the multiplayer can simply play the game on a pc. so bye-bye sales.
trathen93
Ive got GTA CW but I didn't pay for it, i simply downloaded it and put it on my r4. its free and easy. it takes less time to download it than it would to go and buy it (if I had the money) i wouldn't pay £25 for this game but im happy to get it for free
DuPz0r
Personally, the DS is the least thing on my mind, in terms of gaming. But i know there is a mass audience for it. Mostly 6-12 year olds, but that has always been the way in nintendo's hand held sector.
GTA is for the mature audience, and it just doesnt translate well on the DS. Don't get me wrong, i'd love to play it, but i just dont have the money for a hand held game, when i can pay a fraction more for a full console game.
Kamahl
i wouldnt buy a DS for this... I did buy a PSP mainly for GTA LCS but i was able to play more games i liked and used it as a mp3 player... i cant really see myself doing anything else with a DS
Pieface
QUOTE(Kamahl @ Apr 18 2009, 11:33 PM) [snapback]1496895[/snapback]
i wouldnt buy a DS for this... I did buy a PSP mainly for GTA LCS but i was able to play more games i liked and used it as a mp3 player... i cant really see myself doing anything else with a DS

You could use your DS as a MP3 Player if you wanted? Or a Camera, all that 0.3 Megapixel of goodness.
trathen93
QUOTE(marney6 @ Apr 19 2009, 12:23 AM) [snapback]1496904[/snapback]
QUOTE(Kamahl @ Apr 18 2009, 11:33 PM) [snapback]1496895[/snapback]

You could use your DS as a MP3 Player if you wanted? Or a Camera, all that 0.3 Megapixel of goodness.

hey my DS hasn't even got a camera on it, ive got an original in light blue, I don't use it much so don't mock me. I like to refer to it as the blue brick.
Hardcore Ottoman
Wow, that sucks. Sober yet R*? Release that shit on the big boys from now on. It's marketably sound, see.
Massacre
I finally have a portable GTA. Unless they add the right amount of buttons to the PSP, I'm fine with portable games from here on out.
Mr Pink
I guess I was one of the few people which actually got the game. Not really surprised that sales were poor, like many people before me said DS is just not the ideal platform for GTA.
Heartless
Isn't this the second hand held game? And the last one didn't sell well either, if I remember right.
trathen93
QUOTE(Marneyless @ Apr 19 2009, 03:51 AM) [snapback]1496965[/snapback]
Isn't this the second hand held game? And the last one didn't sell well either, if I remember right.

ye, im sure they did a top down one for the advance, that was a poor game, I remeber picking it up for 99p a few yeaars back in GAME.
it looks like most reviews were positive ,but I didn't like it
Kuwong
They should never have expected it to do well, afterall it wasn't long ago they marketed ps2 quality GTA graphics on a handheld. Sure the controls were a bit buggy, but to go from that to 2D GTA. It's basically the budget version of GTA, and a poor one at that
Qdeathstar
what the should do so the game doesn't become a total waste is release it for xbox live and psn...

I'd but it....

I'm surprised that Take Two didn't evaluate this before deciding to make the game, i mean does anyone really really buy a console for ONE GAME. I highly doubt that any more. I mean you could say you bought the Xbox360 just for halo but really you bought it for halo, the fact that you like playing online, and the fact that FPS are better on the Xbox due to the controller... so three things.
Psy
To be honest the fact they were demoing the game all over the country, and released tons of details and videos about it, made it pretty clear that they weren't expecting many people to buy it. They probably did more marketing for Chinatown Wars than they did for GTA4 in a way because they knew GTA4 would sell by reputation alone whereas a game for the DS wouldn't appeal to anywhere near as many people.

I have the game and I think it's awesome, although I can't seem to play it for more than an hour or two without getting somewhat bored. They did a great job with it, it's just a shame it's for the DS because if it was on PSP (albeit without the touch screen functions) it would have sold a lot more.
Pieface
QUOTE(Psy @ Apr 20 2009, 12:12 AM) [snapback]1497154[/snapback]
To be honest the fact they were demoing the game all over the country, and released tons of details and videos about it, made it pretty clear that they weren't expecting many people to buy it. They probably did more marketing for Chinatown Wars than they did for GTA4 in a way because they knew GTA4 would sell by reputation alone whereas a game for the DS wouldn't appeal to anywhere near as many people.

I have the game and I think it's awesome, although I can't seem to play it for more than an hour or two without getting somewhat bored. They did a great job with it, it's just a shame it's for the DS because if it was on PSP (albeit without the touch screen functions) it would have sold a lot more.

If it was put on the PSP though then people would most likely complain about the graphics. It's a very tough thing knowing fully what caused the failure of this game and there are many what ifs with the game. Rockstar seems like they got a lot wrong with this game though, but lets wait and see what fully happens.
Skinny†
This was clearly going to happen. Most people with a DS are just little kids... their parents wouldn't buy them the game. As QD said, they should'probably just release it for Xbox Live and PSN, I would pay for it (albeit, very little).
Psy
The game won't work on anything but the DS though, that's the problem. It's been physically made for that console.
Heartless
QUOTE(QMarney(we @ Apr 19 2009, 09:48 AM) [snapback]1497038[/snapback]
what the should do so the game doesn't become a total waste is release it for xbox live and psn...

I'd but it....

I'm surprised that Take Two didn't evaluate this before deciding to make the game, i mean does anyone really really buy a console for ONE GAME. I highly doubt that any more. I mean you could say you bought the Xbox360 just for halo but really you bought it for halo, the fact that you like playing online, and the fact that FPS are better on the Xbox due to the controller... so three things.

I bought a PS2 to pretty much play the GTA games, and I bought the rest just to make myself feel like I hadn't wasted money. Instead, I found myself wasting more money. I'm liable to pick up next gen consoles for GTA, but the DS wouldn't be on my list unless it comes free with the game.
Qdeathstar
QUOTE(Marneyless @ Apr 20 2009, 08:05 AM) [snapback]1497253[/snapback]
I bought a PS2 to pretty much play the GTA games, and I bought the rest just to make myself feel like I hadn't wasted money. Instead, I found myself wasting more money. I'm liable to pick up next gen consoles for GTA, but the DS wouldn't be on my list unless it comes free with the game.

2 things.

1. Plural. You said games. I said game.

2. I said any more... back when you bought the ps2 things were different. There are far less exclusive games anymore because developers are that stupid anymore.

QUOTE(trathen @ Apr 18 2009, 02:26 PM) [snapback]1496818[/snapback]
Ive got GTA CW but I didn't pay for it, i simply downloaded it and put it on my r4. its free and easy. it takes less time to download it than it would to go and buy it (if I had the money) i wouldn't pay £25 for this game but im happy to get it for free

no warez talk..
psychÝ
I would say it is the DS fan base that isn't really a GTA fan base, it is younger kids and older people, I would say the 16-30 age group is kind of missing, either getting a PSP or just not bothering, I can't say I have ever been interested in a handheld not even because of the games on it, I mean what's the point in them, you can just listen to music and normally they are too small to hold for a long trip anyway.
FailSafe
I own a DS but im not paying £30 for a DS game :). I'll buy it used from ebay. £20 is the max i'll pay £10 would be prefered.

Its hella awesome though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.