Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If they do legalize weed...
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > Political & World Issues
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Ex-PS Fanboy
Well me and some friends we're discussing this topic. If they do decide to legalize it, do you think It will be the same?

E.g. Will the government put a bunch of shit in it and turn it into a new cigarette? would they ban sales of it only to retailers? and if it is do you think they might jack up the price? Or would they simply leave things as the way they are?

Discuss.

Marneyo Juano
It would surely be commerced, all kinds of quality and sorts will be produced by different companies, I don't think private growing will be disallowed, but it will surely be under heavy control...and I don't think that it would be turned into cigarettes, just sold in bags by weight. Prices can rise due to taxes of all sorts..
Hardcore Ottoman
Holy fuck... I just had a bad idea. Like those Lays bags that seem full but are just mostly air... scary. They could make the bags opaque instead of clear. It would be slightly hard to tell--I'm overreacting. Because it's not going to happen soon. And when it does it'll be like Prohibition, it will be illegalized again.

Dunno. I don't know what I'm talking about when I claim to know if it will happen. Surprise me.
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
In what way will it be like prohibition, wat.

TBH half the reason I like it is because it's illegal. Petty rebellion is fun.
Ex-PS Fanboy
So you smoke to be cool?

If yes I hate you.
QUOTE(PS FANBOY @ Apr 9 2009, 06:44 PM) [snapback]1494899[/snapback]
So you smoke to be cool?

If yes I hate you.
No, but at the same time, it's cool.

SORRY FOR NOT BEING HARDCORE MAN.

Having ideals like something like this is dumb and pointless. It's illegal and selfish, and I can smoke it for whatever illegal and selfish reasons I want.
Heartless
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Apr 9 2009, 01:42 PM) [snapback]1494897[/snapback]

I have to agree.
Ex-PS Fanboy
Well since you don't smoke to be cool I don't hate you...

Anyway, lets be on topic. I'm lost by Punxtrs reply. If they do ruin it, I'm sure people will still have ways to get it like they used to. I just pray they won't (probably won't) crack down on private growing.

PabloHoneyOle

Agreed.
Hardcore Ottoman

The gov't will renege the decision, go back to illegal status. Now you ask how this is related to Prohibition. Of course. Prohibition was legal, illegal, then legal again--and weed in my scenario the other way around--but it was simply the concept. Unpopular politics and uninformed peoples will possibly see that weed be legalized, but then at another point illegalized again. The country seems quite divided on it. And by divided I mean ignorant people vs. educated people (and potheads too, I guess).

And even if weed was legal, I would still only smoke it in my house. I bet if everyone did, there would be less complaint about it. It may possibly work out. But this won't be the case.
Smartest two people I know wouldn't touch the stuff or have it legal. That's an awfully big brush you're holding.
Hardcore Ottoman
Yeah, brush got kind of heavy. Like I've said before, I don't know anything for sure... I'm simply typing out thoughts.

But just to jab back, two smart people do not represent the majority of intelligent people on this planet. They each individually represent themselves, unless they are liaisons for some country or corporation and my ad hoc hypothesis is incorrect due to said technicality.

Continue smile.gif
Hey, I'm just saying, it was your generalisation in the first place. I'd say the 5-20% intelligence bracket is almost entirely made up of people who would smoke pot or at least not mind if others did, though.
Marney1
I certainly don't see legalisation of the stuff any time soon, especially as it's gone back to being a Class B drug.(In the UK anyway)
Hardcore Ottoman
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Apr 10 2009, 06:28 PM) [snapback]1495072[/snapback]
Hey, I'm just saying, it was your generalization in the first place. I'd say the 5-20% intelligence bracket is almost entirely made up of people who would smoke pot or at least not mind if others did, though.

Not fair. I corrected your spelling rolleyes.gif angry.gif

I'm glad you do partially concede my generalization, though. Does this mean you don't mind pot, economically?
Skinny†
The government will probably put some silly 90% tax on it. Which is dumb; why should the government get so much of my weed money, they won't be inceasing the quality of weed like the sellers? Legalize it and treat it like a normal product. 10% GST with safety regulations.
Heartless
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Apr 10 2009, 05:48 PM) [snapback]1495060[/snapback]
Smartest two people I know wouldn't touch the stuff or have it legal. That's an awfully big brush you're holding.

Good to know me and Stoic are the smartest persons you know, but I know I do smoke on occasion.
QUOTE(punxtr @ Apr 11 2009, 03:53 AM) [snapback]1495088[/snapback]
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Apr 10 2009, 06:28 PM) [snapback]1495072[/snapback]
Hey, I'm just saying, it was your generalisation in the first place. I'd say the 5-20% intelligence bracket is almost entirely made up of people who would smoke pot or at least not mind if others did, though.

Not fair. I corrected your spelling :rolleyes: angry.gif

I'm glad you do partially concede my generalisation, though. Does this mean you don't mind pot, economically?
I corrected it back.

The only argument I can think of that holds any merit, against legalising weed, is precautions against driving and handling heavy machinery while high. I know it's not the same as being drunk, but the last person I has this discussion with has a prosthetic leg now, fill in the gaps yousrself...

QUOTE(Skinny. @ Apr 11 2009, 04:25 AM) [snapback]1495095[/snapback]
The government will probably put some silly 90% tax on it. Which is dumb; why should the government get so much of my weed money, they won't be inceasing the quality of weed like the sellers? Legalize it and treat it like a normal product. 10% GST with safety regulations.
In fairness, it could cost a lot to regulate it properly. At the moment, a lot of stupid kids with paranoia problems so minor they're undetectable get half a 20 bag of grass and roll it up unmixed every few days with no regard to fluctuation in quality (ie THC content). This makes for the biggest (true) argument against legalising it, and if left unregulated would fast make the strongest argument for criminalising it again. I wouldn't mind paying taxes on it. I've seen a proof that showed it would still be cheaper than it is now if it was taxed 100%, and the farmers were given a fair deal. It's the dealers that make a huge profit.
Marney1
I don't smoke it myself (makes me ill) but if it were available commercially there would be a constant supply.
I sometimes hear people moaning they can't get any because there's a 'drought on'.
TwoFacedTanner
Im pretty sure that it would be illegal to be a private grower without certain licenses and stuff.
Marney1
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Apr 11 2009, 03:49 PM) [snapback]1495147[/snapback]
Im pretty sure that it would be illegal to be a private grower without certain licenses and stuff.

I've heard the American government wants to stop citizens growing their own food in case they grow weed too.
If thats true its fucked up.
TwoFacedTanner
Oh, I don't know about that. I just know its not legal to do private distilling without getting a license and all kinds of other stuff.
Marney1
QUOTE(TwoFacedTanner @ Apr 11 2009, 04:01 PM) [snapback]1495149[/snapback]
Oh, I don't know about that. I just know its not legal to do private distilling without getting a license and all kinds of other stuff.

Thats fucked up too, you can go to the chemist (drugstore) and buy all your gear including a Booze Bucket to make your own here. Tried making lager once but it was full of little bits and disgusting but we drank it anyway and boy was it strong.
For the growing food bit, [citation needed] I think.

And distillation is illegal here too...you don't distil lager.
psychÝ
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Apr 12 2009, 01:49 AM) [snapback]1495196[/snapback]
For the growing food bit, [citation needed] I think.

And distillation is illegal here too...you don't distil lager.

Indeed, you distil moonshine and no one is trying to stop people growing food.

To be honest most of the recent evidence about weed is against legalising it due to its link to schizophrenia, but more research is needed.
Darth Sexy
It would be pretty stupid if they legalised it, but allowed private growers. It would likely be more expensive if legalised, as they'd tax it heavily to make money, and to also discourage people from buying it (see tobacco). People would pay for the convenience, though. That said, I really can't see it ever being legalised.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Der Metzgermeister @ Apr 10 2009, 11:46 PM) [snapback]1495101[/snapback]

Good to know me and Stoic are the smartest persons you know, but I know I do smoke on occasion.

Hey, hey, hey, smoke weed everyday.

I wouldn't have it legal; decriminalized, yes.

I just don't want to get in trouble for smoking weed. I'm not trying to do it in public. I'd never buy it from the government; all taxed and weak. There will still be plenty of black people and Puertoricans to buy from.
Skinny†
I wouldn't have it legal

Provided we don't have 90% tax, legalization would be th ebest option for the weed smoker. Companies will actual try to improve their product constantly, and unlike criminals gangs, will likely have the means to do so.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Skinny. @ Apr 13 2009, 10:01 AM) [snapback]1495464[/snapback]
I wouldn't have it legal

Provided we don't have 90% tax

Look at what's happening to taxes on cigarettes, cigars and booze... there will definitely be ridiculous taxation.

90% is generous.
QUOTE(Skinny. @ Apr 13 2009, 03:01 PM) [snapback]1495464[/snapback]
I wouldn't have it legal

Provided we don't have 90% tax, legalization would be th ebest option for the weed smoker. Companies will actual try to improve their product constantly, and unlike criminals gangs, will likely have the means to do so.
Also caps on strength, cost of packaging, advertising...it'd become an industry. Why can't some things just be left underground?
Hardcore Ottoman
Because tha govt need da cheddah!
Skinny†
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Apr 14 2009, 08:31 AM) [snapback]1495586[/snapback]
Why can't some things just be left underground?

...because it costs a lot to enforce the laws, there's no tax revenue from it, users get in trouble for smoking it (which is absurd) and because legitimate industries are more likely to try and improve the product than drug dealers.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Apr 13 2009, 01:00 PM) [snapback]1495449[/snapback]
QUOTE(Der Metzgermeister @ Apr 10 2009, 11:46 PM) [snapback]1495101[/snapback]

Hey, hey, hey, smoke weed everyday.

I wouldn't have it legal; decriminalized, yes.

I just don't want to get in trouble for smoking weed. I'm not trying to do it in public. I'd never buy it from the government; all taxed and weak. There will still be plenty of black people and Puertoricans to buy from.

^ that's basically my opinion.
QUOTE(Skinny. @ Apr 14 2009, 10:14 AM) [snapback]1495670[/snapback]

...because it costs a lot to enforce the laws, there's no tax revenue from it, users get in trouble for smoking it (which is absurd) and because legitimate industries are more likely to try and improve the product than drug dealers.
Did you read my post? Apart from the tax revenue, none of those are strong arguments against decriminalisation.
Skinny†
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Apr 15 2009, 03:03 AM) [snapback]1495736[/snapback]
QUOTE(Skinny. @ Apr 14 2009, 10:14 AM) [snapback]1495670[/snapback]

Did you read my post? Apart from the tax revenue, none of those are strong arguments against decriminalisation.

You referenced transaction costs such as packaging and advertising... I don't see what that has to do with anything.
They cost money, where does that come from?
Darth Sexy
QUOTE(Skinny. @ Apr 14 2009, 12:01 AM) [snapback]1495464[/snapback]
I wouldn't have it legal

Sounds like you lack the contacts to get good stuff.
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Darth Sexy @ Apr 17 2009, 05:05 AM) [snapback]1496475[/snapback]
QUOTE(Skinny. @ Apr 14 2009, 12:01 AM) [snapback]1495464[/snapback]
I wouldn't have it legal

Sounds like you lack the contacts to get good stuff.

That's what I was thinking the same thing. My guy delivers.
Skinny†
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Apr 17 2009, 12:00 PM) [snapback]1496395[/snapback]
They cost money, where does that come from?

Investment, just like every single private industry on the planet. What made you think weed would be any different?
CutThatCity
Happy 4/20 people cool.gif
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(CutThatCity @ Apr 20 2009, 03:58 AM) [snapback]1497252[/snapback]
Happy 4/20 people

Hardcore Ottoman
Holy shit. It IS 4/20. Hmm, I think I'll just have hookah instead... ja ja!
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Idiot Gorilla @ Apr 20 2009, 10:51 AM) [snapback]1497299[/snapback]

You could just smoke weed out of a hookah...
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Apr 20 2009, 01:28 PM) [snapback]1497274[/snapback]
QUOTE(CutThatCity @ Apr 20 2009, 03:58 AM) [snapback]1497252[/snapback]
Happy 4/20 people

I CANT FUCKING BELIEVE I MISSED THAT!
Hardcore Ottoman
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Apr 20 2009, 11:32 AM) [snapback]1497313[/snapback]

You do realize that's a terrible misuse of the hookah and a waste of weed right?
PabloHoneyOle
QUOTE(Idiot Gorilla @ Apr 20 2009, 11:38 AM) [snapback]1497318[/snapback]
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Apr 20 2009, 11:32 AM) [snapback]1497313[/snapback]

You do realize that's a terrible misuse of the hookah and a waste of weed right?

Never smoked a hookah. Blunts FTW.
Ex-PS Fanboy
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Apr 20 2009, 04:15 PM) [snapback]1497321[/snapback]

I second that
Hardcore Ottoman
QUOTE(PS FANBOY @ Apr 20 2009, 02:58 PM) [snapback]1497370[/snapback]
QUOTE(Stoic Person Eater @ Apr 20 2009, 04:15 PM) [snapback]1497321[/snapback]

I second that

Clean your nose, there's brown shit all over it.

I hardly ever smoked weed but I started before my double digits. Some shits went down years later and I found something else to burn (metaphorically).
Darth Sexy
I'm a joint man, with a hint of bong foolery.

...That sounded far funnier in front of the mirror.
Ex-PS Fanboy
Me is smoke

#1.Blunts

#2.BTs(Keef)

#3.Bong

Usually I'll smoke joints if there's just a little weed left over.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.