Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Petition to stop the UK government setting the national speed limit to 50mph
iGrandTheftAuto.com Forums > GTA4.TV/GTA-SanAndreas.com Archive > Old Forum Archive (Read Only) > General > General Discussion
FuddMan
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/noNSLreduction/

Please sign smile.gif
Pieface
You only need 10,000 anyway don't you?
FuddMan
The more the merrier.
ViceMan
Signed.
Passionate Homo Sapiens Ingester
Already signed.
TwoFacedTanner
Man, I would sign, but I can't.

50mph is ridiculous.
Kamahl
50 mph???

*converts to KPH*

that is incredibly slow... whats the current speed limit?
FuddMan
QUOTE(Kamahl @ Mar 20 2009, 08:23 PM) [snapback]1491328[/snapback]
50 mph???

*converts to KPH*

that is incredibly slow... whats the current speed limit?

70mph.

Being honest, the new speed limit doesn't bother me that much, you can still break it like you do today. But the way they want to enforce with those fucking average speed cameras is what gets me. They want some of them to stretch up to 6 miles. For some reason they decided to throw away the statistics that say most accidents are caused by lack of observations, not 'speeding'. By making people even more conscious of their speed, you're distracting them from the road and making it more dangerous.
Away from motorways, a LOT of deaths are caused by speeding. My uncle wouldn't have died if the car he was in was going 70 (speed limit was 60), but going 92 his head was found fully 19 feet from his leg.

But yeah, 50 is a little low.
FuddMan
How did the accident happen/what happened?
Sheep
National speed limit is only 60 on non motorways....
Kuwong
50mph is hardly problematic. I see no real cause for concern.
Indy
I have a need for speed. Signed.
QUOTE(Я @ Mar 20 2009, 08:54 PM) [snapback]1491335[/snapback]
How did the accident happen/what happened?

A mile or two down this road (and it was a road by the time):

his dumbass friend tried to go as fast as he could, it was determined that the speed they reached was between 90 and 95 mph with a car going in the opposite direction at an unexpectedly sharp turn. My uncle and his two friends died, as did the mother and 4 children in the other car, the driver lived though. He's in a mental hospital as of January though, fun times.
psychÝ
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Mar 20 2009, 08:32 PM) [snapback]1491331[/snapback]
Away from motorways, a LOT of deaths are caused by speeding. My uncle wouldn't have died if the car he was in was going 70 (speed limit was 60), but going 92 his head was found fully 19 feet from his leg.

I thought you were doing medicine? He would have been fucked if the car was doing 60, despite the fact that it is mostly determined on the type of car it was.
FuddMan
QUOTE( Sheep @ Mar 20 2009, 10:31 PM) [snapback]1491350[/snapback]

No, it's 70 on dual carriageways and 60 on single. If anyone asks you what the NSL is, it's 70.
Pieface
QUOTE(Я @ Mar 21 2009, 01:46 PM) [snapback]1491442[/snapback]
QUOTE( Sheep @ Mar 20 2009, 10:31 PM) [snapback]1491350[/snapback]

No, it's 70 on dual carriageways and 60 on single. If anyone asks you what the NSL is, it's 70.

Pssh. Dual Carriageway here is 60 Mph. And they have signs everywhere 2 deaths in 3 years, I think thats pretty fecking good seeming as one of the deaths was an old lady tried to cross it in the snow.. (I did see her body on the floor =/)
Juice
Ridiculous. We need to get our priorities straight regarding traffic laws. Speeding does not cause accidents. The German autobahn has no speed limit, and they have so few accidents compared to United States highways, it's almost embarrassing.

If the police want to curb accident rates, they need to stop worrying about harmless speeders who do 78 in a 65 on a wide open highway with zero traffic volume, and start to worry about the slow pokes who drive while they text on their phone, talk on their phone, eat as they drive, and especially the slow ass drivers in the left lane who refuse to acknowledge that the left lane is for passing and fast traffic.

Speed cameras are a joke, they cause accidents, they do not prevent them. How many times have I seen someone driving safely above the speed limit, when he spots a speed camera and slams on his brakes, causing me to slam on my brakes, causing the next guy to slam on his brakes, until a single person, not paying attention, rear ends the guy ahead of him.

I drive what I deem a safe speed for the conditions and traffic volume, regardless of the speed limit. But at minimum, I go 5 above in the city and 10 above on the highway. But, if it's 2 AM and nobody is on the interstate, I can safely drive 100mph+ without any trouble.
Mekstizzle
This is the first time I've heard of this, surely it's not legit. This wouldn't get through Parliament.
Un-Amurikan Bastage
That's slow, yeah, but get over it. Americans have been breaking a 55mph speed limit for decades.

But can sombody explain to me WTF is the difference between a "non-motorway," a "motorway," a "dual carriageway" and anything else you Brits call roads? We just have "roads" and "highways/freeways" here. Can you only take a horse and/or buggy on a "non-motorway" and a carriage on a "carriageway?"
FuddMan
Yeah, in the same way you can only take aeroplanes on highways and you can go in any direction you like on freeways. Obviously.
QUOTE(psychÝ @ Mar 21 2009, 04:46 AM) [snapback]1491407[/snapback]
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Mar 20 2009, 08:32 PM) [snapback]1491331[/snapback]

I thought you were doing medicine? He would have been fucked if the car was doing 60, despite the fact that it is mostly determined on the type of car it was.
I never said he would've been fine, but he probably would've lived -- apparantly. I don't have all the data, I don't know the specs of the car, nor really the road (It was re-layed two years later). I've read about the collision angles and such, in the same report, but I don't know exactly what it would've looked like. But crucial to the subsequent court case was the fact that his death was caused by not negligence or carelessness (this is a seperate charge in Scots law) but by dangerous driving, specifically an inappropriate speed.

I don't know enough to agree or disagree strongly, so I have chosen to defer to the doctors and forensicists that were there, is this fair sir?
Un-Amurikan Bastage
QUOTE(Я @ Mar 22 2009, 04:23 AM) [snapback]1491622[/snapback]
Yeah, in the same way you can only take aeroplanes on highways and you can go in any direction you like on freeways. Obviously.

happy.gif
Oh ya also played Duffman, but I woulda said you had to be high on highways :thumbsup:
Indy
Jus did 80 mph in my dads merc on a wide open road, really short stretch though so I had to brake pretty hard at the end. Rebel till I die, or my licence is revoked, whichever comes first.
Heartless
Like the 55 here in the states, they aren't doing this for health or safety. This is all for increased revenue.
Hardcore Ottoman
QUOTE(Я @ Mar 22 2009, 06:23 AM) [snapback]1491622[/snapback]

This statement actually confuses me. I'll wiki these words or something...

Edit--Okay, in the USA a highway is a general statement for what is comprised of freeways (full control of access lanes in both directions) and other laned roads. It is not a place where planes take off and land, that is called a runway in the USA. A freeway has already been defined. No confusion there.

When Americans think of highways, British may think of motorways or dual-carriageways.
QUOTE(punxtr @ Mar 23 2009, 01:25 AM) [snapback]1491694[/snapback]

Edit--Okay, in the USA a highway is a general statement for what is comprised of freeways (full control of access lanes in both directions) and other laned roads. It is not a place where planes take off and land, that is called a runway in the USA. A freeway has already been defined. No confusion there.

When Americans think of highways, British may think of motorways or dual-carriageways.
If you heard that, it was the sound of sarcasm going over your head.
Heartless
QUOTE(Amarillo Suave @ Mar 23 2009, 12:31 AM) [snapback]1491733[/snapback]
QUOTE(punxtr @ Mar 23 2009, 01:25 AM) [snapback]1491694[/snapback]

If you heard that, it was the sound of sarcasm going over your head.

I'm not even sure I follow.
Qdeathstar
They tried this in the United States (ie setting the national speed limit to 55) in order to receive aid from the financial government, but this plan failed....

Heartless
QUOTE(Qdeathstar @ Mar 23 2009, 12:44 AM) [snapback]1491739[/snapback]
They tried this in the United States (ie setting the national speed limit to 55) in order to receive aid from the financial government, but this plan failed....

Depends how you look at it. Now with the new speed and light cams in place, the cops don't even need to pull you over. They just mail the ticket to your house.
Un-Amurikan Bastage
QUOTE(Heartless @ Mar 22 2009, 11:10 PM) [snapback]1491752[/snapback]
QUOTE(Qdeathstar @ Mar 23 2009, 12:44 AM) [snapback]1491739[/snapback]

Depends how you look at it. Now with the new speed and light cams in place, the cops don't even need to pull you over. They just mail the ticket to your house.

That's why you learn where they are. They aren't hard to see. Same idea as learning where the radar cops hide out, but updated. And this time they don't surprise you by moving.
asthenia
QUOTE(Kuwong @ Mar 20 2009, 11:48 PM) [snapback]1491359[/snapback]

Slower doesn't mean safer.
Pieface
In America you don't get points for speeding do you? Just a fine.
Hardcore Ottoman
You get points, I think. Gimme a sec... yeah, it depends on the difference of your speed versus the speed limit. In Pennsylvania, you get up to 5 points on your record for going 31 mph (miles per hour) above posted speed limit.

Btw, English sarcasm is just too damn subtle. tongue.gif
Kuwong
QUOTE(Asthenia @ Mar 23 2009, 07:17 PM) [snapback]1491812[/snapback]
QUOTE(Kuwong @ Mar 20 2009, 11:48 PM) [snapback]1491359[/snapback]

Slower doesn't mean safer.

I never said it'd be safer, I just don't see it as such a big deal. Not really sure why, as it would make your journeys slightly longer, but still.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.